Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Dragon Turtle Aremag's lair and treasure
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arthan_Heavy_Fist
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2020 :  15:16:28  Show Profile Send Arthan_Heavy_Fist a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Looking for advice on what Aremag's lair would be like in the bay of Chult and ideas for the treasure or items included.

He's been extorting ships for a few hundred years and has a record of taking payments to leave people alone.

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2020 :  21:06:23  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-An undersea cave or maybe hidden cove somewhere makes sense. It apparently ranged as far north as Waterdeep to Chult, so it's lair could in theory be anywhere off the Sword Coast or even in the Shining Sea (which I think is less likely because of the fact that it goes so far north).

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2020 :  21:26:57  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The treasures would be coin and gems from how I read it. Not much magical items collected.
As for lair in general a Dragon ranges about it home, so a best guess would be undersea cave in the bay. I have read that Aremag range appears to be fifty square miles. Though caves likely best found along land and water boundary.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2020 :  00:53:16  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I'd imagine they'd have all kinds of things, just based on the fact that they probably don't know what's being transported on the ships that they're attacking. They're intelligent, but having a network of spies and whoever to relay and communicate to them what ships to attack and what ships to let pass by based on their manifests is probably beyond their capacity. Anything that is shiny, that looks interesting, would be worth taking back.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2020 :  08:51:25  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a little trivia on Aramag. When I was a preteen I wrote James Lowder snail mail after I finished Ring Of Winter (Aramag’s first appearance) and called out the reverse of his name. Mr Lowder wrote me back and confirmed his secret identify as Gamara. I remember being so excited.

Sorry it’s only tangentially related to the post but figured you might find that interesting.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2020 :  09:27:33  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's adorable Seethyr. James Lowder is awesome, I love Ring of Winter.
Go to Top of Page

Arthan_Heavy_Fist
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2020 :  09:51:40  Show Profile Send Arthan_Heavy_Fist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm imagining a side tunnel off the side of the main channel. Somewhere where he could sense approaching ships from either direction or underwater minions could alert him, then he would swim out and exact tribute.

Is that side cave connected to greater cave network for minions or airflow? If not connected, the air would be pretty toxic I imagine.

Using more of a 2-3.5 range of magical availability then the current treasure model, and I can see there being some dead adventures providing "some" +1, +2 gear but more interested in the baubles or amount of treasure: coins and gems that would be reasonable.

Nice trivia Seethyr. Do any sources ever give an estimate on how wide or long his shell is?
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2020 :  13:02:44  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

That's adorable Seethyr. James Lowder is awesome, I love Ring of Winter.

One of the coolest dudes. I saved and laminated the letter lol.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2020 :  13:11:51  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thinking about those islands west of the Utter East/Zakhar a couple weeks back and talking with BadCatMan got me thinking about giant snapping turtles in the waters of the shining south. They are canon around chult as well

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Giant_snapping_turtle

To note the vary is size from 12 feet to 40 feet in diameter. According to 3e lore at least, a dragon turtle is 20 to 30 feet long. I can EASILY see this dragon turtle having a large group of giant snapping turtle mates (some possibly larger than him even), and a lot of little half-dragon giant snapping turtle children in his lair.

Since they've also included Tortles as a population down near chult as well, I wouldn't be surprised if he has mates amongst them as well.

Also, this dragon turtle might have a beef with Halruaan wizards, who hunt his progeny to provide hulls for their skyships.

As to a lair, given a dragon turtles immunity to fire, being close to undersea steam vents or volcanic activity might make the lair better protected.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 04 Aug 2020 13:20:57
Go to Top of Page

Arthan_Heavy_Fist
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2020 :  17:30:12  Show Profile Send Arthan_Heavy_Fist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I kinda pictured Agemar as closer to 100ft (30m)(shell length) long, just massive. Able to set a boat spinning and not be challenged for the lucrative area and plunder. Are there any other named dragon turtles in the realms?

I like the idea of some huge snapping turtle mates that keep out the riff raff.

Tortles are mostly concentrated on the SE side of Chult though, with a few exceptions, I thought. Will have to look at their alignment.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2020 :  17:59:36  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arthan_Heavy_Fist

I kinda pictured Agemar as closer to 100ft (30m)(shell length) long, just massive. Able to set a boat spinning and not be challenged for the lucrative area and plunder. Are there any other named dragon turtles in the realms?

I like the idea of some huge snapping turtle mates that keep out the riff raff.

Tortles are mostly concentrated on the SE side of Chult though, with a few exceptions, I thought. Will have to look at their alignment.

Snapping Turtle bay is where he sends the ugly giant snapping turtles. The sexy ones who aren't mouthy he lets move in with him up near the Bay of Chult. King Tobas is a giant crystalline shelled giant snapping turtle who gets his cast offs.

But, on occasion he gets a hankering and uses his treasured Ring of Tortle Shape just to get away and have some fun when his mates start to get naggy. Its then that he goes and flits from tortle to tortle on the SE coast almost like he's trying to outdo his previous run. It reminds his mates who gives the orders in his lair.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2020 :  23:12:39  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Only tangentially related to the topic, but Dragon Turtles were always kind of eh whatever for me, but the story in Realms of the Dragons really was good and made me rethink them.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Arthan_Heavy_Fist
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2020 :  06:29:23  Show Profile Send Arthan_Heavy_Fist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Laughs, does anyone have a good resource with examples of what the size of said beastie's hoard (not whores) would look like?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000