Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Drow: The Descent
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Microchips
Acolyte

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  18:15:29  Show Profile Send Microchips a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello i am a new poster and I just wondered if you "masters of realmslore" could do me a favour

i want to know everything about

THe REasons for the Descent of the drow - i have seen differing ideas - one says that they were evil from the start and another says that Grumsh turned Lolth (or Lloth) evil and she in turn made Drow evil

i also want to know what armies stopped the drow and forced them into under dark

Thankyou in advance

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  19:03:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First, welcome to Candlekeep!

I believe that most of the answers you seek can be found in the novel Evermeet: Island of the Elves, by the esteemed Elaine Cunningham, who has her own thread on these fine boards.

Also, the 2nd edition sourcebook Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves gives a lot of info about the Crown Wars, as I recall.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Microchips
Acolyte

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2004 :  17:52:15  Show Profile Send Microchips a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

First, welcome to Candlekeep!

I believe that most of the answers you seek can be found in the novel Evermeet: Island of the Elves, by the esteemed Elaine Cunningham, who has her own thread on these fine boards.

Also, the 2nd edition sourcebook Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves gives a lot of info about the Crown Wars, as I recall.

cheers for that ill buy them..........when i get enough money
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2004 :  19:18:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You'll likely have to hit eBay or another used book source for Cormanthyr. It was a 2nd edition product, so it's not likely to be sitting on any store shelves. I have seen it more than once on eBay, though.

Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2004 :  19:19:34  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves can be downloaded from the WotC homepage:

[http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/2/fr_downloads/tsr1165.zip]

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2004 :  20:48:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, well, that's certainly cheap enough. Now all friend Microchips needs is a few bucks to pick up Evermeet.

Go to Top of Page

Microchips
Acolyte

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2004 :  21:18:21  Show Profile Send Microchips a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hymn

Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves can be downloaded from the WotC homepage:

[http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/2/fr_downloads/tsr1165.zip]

thnaks sure is cheap apart form Evermeet what are some other good realms novels (apart from RA Salvatore - Read them all)
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2004 :  22:46:03  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Songs and Swords series by Elaine Cunningham is a real treat for your mind.

I suggest you go in on the Novel forum and check around some there for tips on a good read.

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2004 :  05:14:47  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Ah, well, that's certainly cheap enough. Now all friend Microchips needs is a few bucks to pick up Evermeet.

I just saw it in a used bookstore yesterday. Obviously the person who put it there didn't know what it actually was. Only reason I can think of for giving up such a treasure.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2004 :  02:00:24  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Microchips I have looked into races of Faerun in the drow section. It states that after the elven migration the elves colonized cities. And the drow were one of the most powerful however jealous. So after launching several failed attempts to conquer their fellows in the first crown wars they made a pact with Lloth and she gave them magic fiends and support. Eventually Corellon managed to turn them back. With elven armies of course. Then banished them to the surface after changing their skin and giving them the name dharow or drow (traitor) More info is in Evermeet Island of elves and Cormanthor.

Imagination is more important than knowledge for knowledge is limited imagination encircles the world.- Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2018 :  19:31:29  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte Microchips,

There are some newer updates as well regarding the Descent of the Drow:
  • Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (3rd Edition)
  • Races of Faerun
  • Lost Empires of Faerun
  • Underdark
  • Grand History of the Realms
  • Players Guide to the Faerun
  • The Drow of the Underdark (2nd Edition)
  • Lords of Darkness
  • Demihuman Deities
  • Faiths and Pantheons
  • Menzobarranzan: City of Intrigue
  • Children of Darkness, Dragon #367

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Microchips

Hello i am a new poster and I just wondered if you "masters of realmslore" could do me a favour

THe REasons for the Descent of the drow - i have seen differing ideas - one says that they were evil from the start and another says that Grumsh turned Lolth (or Lloth) evil and she in turn made Drow evil

i also want to know what armies stopped the drow and forced them into under dark

Thankyou in advance

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2018 :  20:23:51  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Acolyte Microchips,

• Races of Faerun
  • Lost Empires of Faerun
  • Underdark
  • Lords of Darkness
  • Demihuman Deities
  • Faiths and Pantheons

Best regards,

quote:

Thankyou in advance

There's also the 5e Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes (which changes a lot of stuff) and Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2018 :  20:30:36  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Irennan,

Thank you for that. I haven't dug into 5th edition at all yet.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Acolyte Microchips,

• Races of Faerun
  • Lost Empires of Faerun
  • Underdark
  • Lords of Darkness
  • Demihuman Deities
  • Faiths and Pantheons

Best regards,

quote:

Thankyou in advance

There's also the 5e Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes (which changes a lot of stuff) and Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2018 :  20:35:44  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
5e Realms share a lot with the 2e Realms (in that there was this large event that reverted most of the changes that 3e and 4e brought, bringing back nearly every god and many characters that had died before, places that had been destroyed, etc...) However, WotC is also very retcon-happy in 5e (for example, the matter of the Descent underwent heavy changes).

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2018 :  21:04:04  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Irennan,

Thank you for the scoop on that. The degree of butthurtness that I experienced at fourth was so huge, I never went to fourth, and I've only bought a few 5e adventures, knowing I could use the material with PF. I am finding that the more I get information from you all via this fine, fine site, the more I am considering just getting read up on the material to be current. Then, like anyone else, I can simply go from there with my own campaign changes.

Thank you!

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

5e Realms share a lot with the 2e Realms (in that there was this large event that reverted most of the changes that 3e and 4e brought, bringing back nearly every god and many characters that had died before, places that had been destroyed, etc...) However, WotC is also very retcon-happy in 5e (for example, the matter of the Descent underwent heavy changes).

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000