Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Astartes
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2020 :  21:43:40  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
You can lookup Astartes on Youtube. A series of (six?) short fan films - all CGI, all made by one dedicated fan - which has begun to receive a lot of attention and acclaim. If you haven't already seen it then I'd recommend giving it a look. I admit the first few episodes are not as impressive (or as long) as the later ones.

Yes, it's Warhammer 40K. It's not D&D, it's not the Realms.

But it got me searching ... and I discovered that there's basically no D&D-related fan films. Lots of cinematic snippets from D&D video games, some scenes from the (failed) D&D movies, Dorkness Rising, stuff like that. But not a huge community of D&D fan film producers. Indeed, it's a conspicuous lack of fan films - compare vs 40K or Star Wars or Star Trek or Halo or Mass Effect or really any other long-established gaming franchise.

Why is that? Does WotC have paranoid regulations in place to restrict fan film productions from trespassing on their legal property? Or is it just a weird quirk of the universe, D&D somehow just hasn't inspired any on-screen stories (which would seem unlikely to me, given how many off-screen stories it's inspired).

[/Ayrik]

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2020 :  21:59:49  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could be a legacy of how TSR treated fan creations such as websites and shared homebrew rules and whatnot.

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2020 :  23:30:05  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-People definitely go all out when it comes to buying and/or making costumes in fan stuff for other IPs out there, there are skilled people out there that do special effects for other IPs out there, and so on, so that's a pretty good point. You could argue that any generic fantasy fan-film has been influenced by D&D, since there's so much overlap, but yeah, it's not like there are any specific D&D IPs giving Youtube a casual look.

-Maybe the D&D 2000 movie scarred an entire generation of actors, illustrators, and directors.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2020 :  23:44:30  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, TSR and WotC have established a history of being overly territorial, kneejerky, even hostile. I can easily imagine nobody wanting to work on a project which might just invoke a Cease and Desist threat.

But compare vs Blizzard. They're similarly overprotective of their Diablo, Warcraft, and Starcraft franchises. Yet fan creations for these are not just tolerated, they're tacitly encouraged and they're thriving.

And compare vs Star Trek, Star Wars, Marvel/DC, etc (owned by CBS, Sony, Warner, Disney, and other draconian hostiles). Fan works galore, maybe some have been shut down (I wouldn't know) but they also continue to proliferate.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2391 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2020 :  15:25:26  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZeshinX

Could be a legacy of how TSR treated fan creations such as websites and shared homebrew rules and whatnot.

It was so long ago it's stuff of legend. Gosh, the Spanish Inquisition...
Lack of real interest may be more of a problem. That is, after the "official D&D" was turned into piles of generic Diablo/WoW style padding and "generic" communities are mostly infinitely dull seas of munchkins splitting hairs on how to munch better - who would do it, and what for?
Many people moved to BRP/Savage Worlds/whatnot.
There are still lots of grognards, of course. Perhaps either don't want to promote derp, or simply don't have time?

Or maybe fan video is just not the right medium for this. After all, you didn't see lots of fan movies for Talislanta or any savage Worlds setting either, did you?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 21 Jun 2020 15:27:57
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2020 :  19:04:11  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, I believe most artist would still be a little bit ashamed to admit they'd want to do anything Realms related. The scale is sliding though!

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000