Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Durpar : The Adama and Anu
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2020 :  00:12:23  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, just out of curiosity, I wanted to go back and look at the desert of desolation modules today with an eye towards what could be gleaned. One of the things that I had been postulating in other threads here is that the idea that Enlil and Anu are the same god wasn't always true and that Anu came from some other area of the south like the Shaar. I'd also been wondering if the Mulan gods were the ONLY gods to have shown up to face the Imaskari, because possibly other peoples deities had shown up, but they went in another direction (such as down towards Zakhara or the Utter East).

So, in the desert of desolation modules, it starts talking about Durpar and one of the thing it stresses is that they worship "the one god". So, I'm like "yeah, they worship the Adama"... but then I'm reading on. The "one god" to them in desert of desolation is Anu. Then it goes on to say that the Durpari want to see all other temples of old gods thrown down. This is very much different from the Adama idea that came forth in 2nd edition, in which one is accepting of all gods and then them having these specifically different god names that 3rd edition later makes into the gods of Faerun. However, it does promote the belief I have that Anu came from the south.

So, then I started thinking to myself... what happened between this printing of desert of desolation in 1st edition and the shining south presentation of durpar in 2nd edition? The Time of Troubles. So, that got me thinking, could we make both things be true? Could the gods descending have had something to do with a change in how the Durpari view other religions? Could it have been some epic level thing in which the Faerunian powers actually "overwrote" Anu's name in the minds of the people and replaced it with "Adama" (kind of like the ideas of what happened with Orcus, Kiaransalee, the Raven Queen, etc...). Could some other entity be absorbing that worship energy (and no surprise probably to many of you, the first deity that came to my mind was Leira).

Secondarily, while the story of canon is that Enlil willingly left the realms, but the idea that Enlil and Anu are the same name and that Anu possibly survived in the realms until present day would say to me that Enlil didn't "willingly leave", but rather he was killed or somehow subsumed by Anu but failed to gain the worshippers in Unther.

Anyway, just throwing out the possibility to see if we could develop a story from it. The idea that the Utter East is filled with Ffolk and northmen as well, while the Raurin Desert has temples of Celtic, Greek, Finnish, and Norse deities makes me wonder if there's not links somehow with that as well.

This got me thinking

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2020 :  03:36:44  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I'm not honestly even sure what search terms I'd use, but I remember myself, Markus and BadCatMan talking a lot about the religion and throwing out theories in a Shining South thread like years ago. Pages long. Don't even know if it was here or WotC, or even if exists anymore or got blasted into the ether. Of course, I never wrote anything I wasn't directly going to use down so I'm no help there, sorry.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2020 :  05:05:27  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was the "Utter East Campaign + MAP!!!" thread on the old WotC forums. Pretty much completely lost now. I saved all the pages for personal reference, and never really looked at them again. So many ideas I'd do differently now.

Part of the problem with DoD, of course, is that it's rewritten from earlier, non-FR modules, with the Symbayans and Thunes, who are related peoples, changed to Durpari and Raurindi, respectively, who are not. Anu was not renamed, but in the original version, the Symbayans were converted to Anu in only the previous few decades. In the FR version, it's many Raurindi who converted to Anu and were absorbed by Durpari, "many years ago".

And don't forget, Durpari worship of the Adama is not a new thing – it dates back to #8722;256 DR, and the Durpari quickly made its prophet Satama their Maharajah, making it a state religion. It's nothing that came about after the Time of Troubles, though maybe it was an affirmation of the Adama.

So, I believe the DoD Anu-worshipping Durpari in the Raurin are ethnic Durpari who left Adama-worshipping Durpar over religious differences – Anu and Adama are basically antithetical to each other – either by being forced out or leaving willingly, and went into the Raurin. DoD page 5 says "They were driven by two motives beyond those of trade alone: as members of the one god Anu, they were sworn to the destruction of the idols of the older gods of the Raurindi, and they were secretly ashamed that they had deserted the land to the Raurindi. Thus they came back to the desert with the glint of gold in their eyes, and a hatred of the Raurindi and all they stood for in their hearts." DoD makes it clear they took over, fought, and converted the Raurindi, "many years ago".

Supporting this, The Horde campaign setting, page 19, says "The final act of this period was the invasion of the Durparans. Crossing the Raurin Desert, a dissident force from Durpar seized the weak state of Solon. The city easily fell to the army of the evil Amchubar Devayam. With Solon in his grasp, Devayam attempted to conquer the isolated Ra-Khati. Nearly successful, he was finally beaten and forced to return to Solon." So, dissidents did leave Durpar on a mission of conquest of the Raurin (with one army led by Ambuchar Devayam, who is of course the notorious Tan Chin). Storm Riders sets the attack on Ra-Khati as "nearly fifty years ago", so ''circa'' 1300 DR.

Finally, all those temples to odd gods in Medinat Muskawoon would've been built in its heyday, before it fell in the curse of Amun-Re a 1000-or-so years before, so the mid-300s DR. However, that's three centuries before the Ffolk and Northman colonization of the Utter East, so the connection is unlikely.
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Utter_East#Western_colonization

(I finally finished detailing Blood & Magic for the Forgotten Realms Wiki! I still have so much more to do on this area, though.)

BadCatMan, B.Sc. (Hons), M.Sc.
Scientific technical editor
Head DM of the Realms of Adventure play-by-post community
Administrator of the Forgotten Realms Wiki
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2020 :  15:42:53  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

So, just out of curiosity, I wanted to go back and look at the desert of desolation modules today with an eye towards what could be gleaned. One of the things that I had been postulating in other threads here is that the idea that Enlil and Anu are the same god wasn't always true and that Anu came from some other area of the south like the Shaar. I'd also been wondering if the Mulan gods were the ONLY gods to have shown up to face the Imaskari, because possibly other peoples deities had shown up, but they went in another direction (such as down towards Zakhara or the Utter East).

So, in the desert of desolation modules, it starts talking about Durpar and one of the thing it stresses is that they worship "the one god". So, I'm like "yeah, they worship the Adama"... but then I'm reading on. The "one god" to them in desert of desolation is Anu. Then it goes on to say that the Durpari want to see all other temples of old gods thrown down. This is very much different from the Adama idea that came forth in 2nd edition, in which one is accepting of all gods and then them having these specifically different god names that 3rd edition later makes into the gods of Faerun. However, it does promote the belief I have that Anu came from the south.

So, then I started thinking to myself... what happened between this printing of desert of desolation in 1st edition and the shining south presentation of durpar in 2nd edition?

I can formulate the first hypothesis just from looking at the list of authors.
Much the same as with temple of Isis in Waterdeep (PoRS): enough of designers who knew Realms and knew the authors have accumulated. They made obsolete the stream of lolrandum designed by people who couldn't be bothered to read more than half a page summary plus map.

As to the connections... "Adama" has polytheism pushed toward pantheism as much as possible, and belief in reincarnation.
IMHO this looks closely related to the Godsmen.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2020 :  17:31:53  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a bit complicated...
Thomas M. Costa in his apocryphal works on Realms L-Archives, suggested Adama is a syncretic deity and religion, being composed of Anu, Ao, and the Fate of Zakhara:
https://web.archive.org/web/20150131031353/http://oracle.wizards.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0204c&L=realms-l&D=1&F=&S=&P=7268

Anu in the same article, was stated to ha been killed by the Imaskari, and Enlil took on his name aspect.
(This could explain some weird things though, like Enlil being called Enki's father, not brother, while in myths Anu or Anshar were Enki's father). And this in general resembling the situation with Horus-Re as it is present o Toril.

But yeah, they kinda were the same god as some point, and it is possible it had gappened what you described, if it would be odd for Ao to create a cult, who in part is a cult of him (as Ao was described to actively work to not have worshipers.)

With the Adama faith, while the religion resembles Buddhism and Hinduism, and it's prophet Satama resembles Siddhattha Gautama (Gautama Buddha) - the terms used in the religion, are distinctly Sumerian, Semmitic and Akkadian - Adama, or Adamah is a term with various use in Mesopotamian and Near Easter religions - it can mean "human" (and is the source of the Biblical name and character of Adam), but also was a distinct Earth goddess - Adamma - present in Near Easter, Mesopotamia and Anatolia:

Honkin' big link #1
Honkin' big link #2
Honkin' big link #3

This goddess according to some was the mother of Adam in an earlier, polytheistic or at least Henotheistic version book Genesis, with Yahweh being the father, as he fashioned him form Earth/Ground (Adama), and the Earth Mother to Yahweh's Sky Father.

"Satama", while probably chosen due to in part resemblance to Siddhattha, is also probably derived from a Sumerian term - Satam/Satmmu (SA.TAM), from what I know, meaning "Official" (of the Temple) (meaning it's possible it's a name Satama took on after founding the cult of Adama. Zionil (the aspect of Gond, or the god Gond absorbed) also seems to be constructed to seem "pseudo-Sumerian", and similar to the name Enlil, if Zionil/Gond resembles more Enki.

We also theorized Adama with Gary Dallison might had been originally an Durpari/proto-Imaskari god from Anu absorbed, although I also suggested a version were Anu/Adama was worshiped by Durpari, and was one of the gods the Imaskari artificers (under the lead of Enlil and Ra) under the who became the Mulhorandi and Untheri pantheons the killed (and stolen divinity), as in the presented in the origin for the Mulhorandi and Untheri pantheons in the Old Empires sourcebook.

quote:
Originally posted by BadCatMan

That was the "Utter East Campaign + MAP!!!" thread on the old WotC forums. Pretty much completely lost now. I saved all the pages for personal reference, and never really looked at them again. So many ideas I'd do differently now.

Part of the problem with DoD, of course, is that it's rewritten from earlier, non-FR modules, with the Symbayans and Thunes, who are related peoples, changed to Durpari and Raurindi, respectively, who are not. Anu was not renamed, but in the original version, the Symbayans were converted to Anu in only the previous few decades. In the FR version, it's many Raurindi who converted to Anu and were absorbed by Durpari, "many years ago".

And don't forget, Durpari worship of the Adama is not a new thing – it dates back to #8722;256 DR, and the Durpari quickly made its prophet Satama their Maharajah, making it a state religion. It's nothing that came about after the Time of Troubles, though maybe it was an affirmation of the Adama.

So, I believe the DoD Anu-worshipping Durpari in the Raurin are ethnic Durpari who left Adama-worshipping Durpar over religious differences – Anu and Adama are basically antithetical to each other – either by being forced out or leaving willingly, and went into the Raurin. DoD page 5 says "They were driven by two motives beyond those of trade alone: as members of the one god Anu, they were sworn to the destruction of the idols of the older gods of the Raurindi, and they were secretly ashamed that they had deserted the land to the Raurindi. Thus they came back to the desert with the glint of gold in their eyes, and a hatred of the Raurindi and all they stood for in their hearts." DoD makes it clear they took over, fought, and converted the Raurindi, "many years ago".

Supporting this, The Horde campaign setting, page 19, says "The final act of this period was the invasion of the Durparans. Crossing the Raurin Desert, a dissident force from Durpar seized the weak state of Solon. The city easily fell to the army of the evil Amchubar Devayam. With Solon in his grasp, Devayam attempted to conquer the isolated Ra-Khati. Nearly successful, he was finally beaten and forced to return to Solon." So, dissidents did leave Durpar on a mission of conquest of the Raurin (with one army led by Ambuchar Devayam, who is of course the notorious Tan Chin). Storm Riders sets the attack on Ra-Khati as "nearly fifty years ago", so ''circa'' 1300 DR.

Finally, all those temples to odd gods in Medinat Muskawoon would've been built in its heyday, before it fell in the curse of Amun-Re a 1000-or-so years before, so the mid-300s DR. However, that's three centuries before the Ffolk and Northman colonization of the Utter East, so the connection is unlikely.

(I finally finished detailing Blood & Magic for the Forgotten Realms Wiki! I still have so much more to do on this area, though.)

Hmm, dunno if I it's not stated the Durpari and Raurindi are unrelated - there is even a slight suggestion they share ancestors as Durpari restored the trade, i part the civilization of Raurin as a "return to their heritage":
quote:
The Durpari saw the re-establishment of trade across the desert as a way to return to their heritage

Suggesting the Durpari are also descendants or at least relatives of the ancient people of Raurin (of which Raurindi are descendants).

This was confirmed in latter products - the original (1993) Shining South sourcebook, Durpar was part of the Raurin Empire (Imaskar Empire), and "The Grand History of the Realms" outright confirmed Imaskari were a group of Durpari, and in general both Raurindi are the descendants of the "Ancient Durpari" if with some varying Mulan admixture.

With the Anu-worshiping Durpari in the Raurin, I do believe they probably a split from the Adams faith, if possibly a reactionary one - I guess it's possible they discovered Adams derives
(in part) from a singular god - Anu (as at least described by Thomas Costa, and suggested in canon though, with the Sumerian and Akkadian terminology used in the Adama's faith), and as a misguided attempt to return to their roots (and the greatness of old Durpari) they re-imagined their religion as aggressively monotheistic.

It's also possible though Anu (Enlil) established an aggressively monotheistic cult, especially after possibly being driven out by Gilgeam, and the Durapri in Raurin are in part his tools (or his and Tan Chin, the two possibly working together?).

Mod edit: Cast Shrinky links on the page-stretching URLs.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 20 Jun 2020 17:45:15
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2020 :  02:51:38  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I meant the Symbayans and Thune of the original non-FR DoD split in only the last few decades before the module, while the Anu-worshiping Durpari and the Raurindi have a different history in the FR DoD, not recently related. That doesn't preclude a much older shared heritage that seems to be why they returned, apparently to reclaim some real or imagined former homeland.

Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2020 :  03:12:10  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, I get now what you mean, sorry.

It's also interesting Raurindi have a -ndi ending like Mulhorandi, while Durpari have a -ri, like Untheri.
Further similarities being Raurindi worship the Mulhorandi/Egyptian pantheon, while Durpari worship a Untheri/Mesoptoman god (or in bit latter canon/the Durpari in Durpar a religion seemingly derived in part from Untheri roots).

This makes me wonder of the groups aren't somehow related, or at least were meant to be in early Realms lore, as the "Raurin Empire"/Imaskar storyline seemed to be though up fairly early on (seeing it comes up in the Realms version of Desert of Desolation, Old Empires, The Horde Campaign setting), with Mulhorandi and Untheri being described initially descendants of Imaskari, rather than slaves from another world (who were though in part mixed with Imaskari over ages).

Of course, it was established the Durpari was the name of the Ancient people that give rise to Imaskari, Raurindi, Durpari and in part Mulani, but I wonder if the modern (and post fall of Imaskar) Durpari aren't a result of merging of Durpari witha group of proto-Untheri, while Raurindi with aren't in part descended from proto-Mulhorandi who stayed in Raurin and formed the kingdom of Bakar, by merging with the Imaskari survivors (as if I remember right, Martek was stated to be an Imaskari artificer...)

Edited by - Baltas on 21 Jun 2020 07:15:30
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2020 :  11:25:16  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I recall correctly the imaskari are related to the durpari and likely came to raurin from durpar.

If it were me I would have rauri being the people (like durpari), and imaskari were but one group of these rauri people. Then the region gets named raurin and when the mulhorandi arrive the people left from imaskar become raurindi (mixing their raurin heritage and their mulhorandi overlord naming conventions).

Just my two cents.

As for adama and anu, I had the raurindi people adopting the worship of the mulan heroes that saved them, certain tribes favouring certain of the gods depending on their location (the encyclopedia magica and the write up of the flail of the desert kings hints that the mulhorandi and untheric people established a short lived kingdom in raurin after the fall of imaskar, and this kingdom was split into two sub kingdoms roughly corresponding to mulhorand and unther).

The durpari with their worship of the one influenced these raurindi tribes as they traded with them and ultimately the raurindi adopt the idea of a single god with many aspects but keep the name of this god as anu rather than using the durpari name of adama.

Again just my two cents, but even the gods and their worship should be mutable with the passage of time.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2020 :  15:58:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BadCatMan

Just curious the -256 DR for the adama thing, that from GHotR? Reason why I'm saying this is that IF something happened after the ToT (and I'm not totally sold on the idea, but just trying to see if its even possible), then I'd expect all records to get changed to the new name (the magic needs to be that pervasive, and in the case of other deities where this type of stuff happens, that's the kind of stuff that happens).

Gonna look through a bunch of these other responses. I do picture a lof of the old temples to be from LONG ago, as in I was picturing many of them coming to be built prior to the fall of Netheril. The general concept I had with the Ffolk and Northmen was one I didn't make clear. Basically, I'm wondering if the Ffolk and Northmen that come down there, aren't a second wave, possibly due to some portal that fluctuates on occasion (like the one in the Shaar, which I think may have brought a lot of northmen folk who eventually settle in Ulgarth). I need to reread that whole thing in GHotR, but if the people's that created the temples in the desert area spread to other parts of the world via portals, then perhaps later their descendants return to these areas because of those same portal (i.e. a two way thing).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2020 :  16:18:07  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 2e The Shining South gives the approximate era (about 2000 years after -2488 DR), while the 3e Shining South sets Satama's first preaching to -256 DR. Grand History just follows that.

Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2020 :  17:20:48  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

If I recall correctly the imaskari are related to the durpari and likely came to raurin from durpar.

If it were me I would have rauri being the people (like durpari), and imaskari were but one group of these rauri people. Then the region gets named raurin and when the mulhorandi arrive the people left from imaskar become raurindi (mixing their raurin heritage and their mulhorandi overlord naming conventions).

Just my two cents.

As for adama and anu, I had the raurindi people adopting the worship of the mulan heroes that saved them, certain tribes favouring certain of the gods depending on their location (the encyclopedia magica and the write up of the flail of the desert kings hints that the mulhorandi and untheric people established a short lived kingdom in raurin after the fall of imaskar, and this kingdom was split into two sub kingdoms roughly corresponding to mulhorand and unther).

The durpari with their worship of the one influenced these raurindi tribes as they traded with them and ultimately the raurindi adopt the idea of a single god with many aspects but keep the name of this god as anu rather than using the durpari name of adama.

Again just my two cents, but even the gods and their worship should be mutable with the passage of time.

Well, this also is quite possibly the case, even in canon. I do think though that some of the Untheri influence (and/or possibly some Untheri gods) moved south, even to Zakhara, seeing the Spires of Ereshkigal, Kazerabet birth name being Inanna, and the fact Midanni is a language of the Untheric family (while it's implied Durpari (Rauri) people being at least in part derived from the people of Zakhara in the first place, I doubt there could such a parallels linguistic evolution, without influence of external factor, with Midanni probably replacing or merging with the older language of Zakhara, which possibly was the Rauri language).

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Just curious the -256 DR for the adama thing, that from GHotR? Reason why I'm saying this is that IF something happened after the ToT (and I'm not totally sold on the idea, but just trying to see if its even possible), then I'd expect all records to get changed to the new name (the magic needs to be that pervasive, and in the case of other deities where this type of stuff happens, that's the kind of stuff that happens).

Gonna look through a bunch of these other responses. I do picture a lof of the old temples to be from LONG ago, as in I was picturing many of them coming to be built prior to the fall of Netheril. The general concept I had with the Ffolk and Northmen was one I didn't make clear. Basically, I'm wondering if the Ffolk and Northmen that come down there, aren't a second wave, possibly due to some portal that fluctuates on occasion (like the one in the Shaar, which I think may have brought a lot of northmen folk who eventually settle in Ulgarth). I need to reread that whole thing in GHotR, but if the people's that created the temples in the desert area spread to other parts of the world via portals, then perhaps later their descendants return to these areas because of those same portal (i.e. a two way thing).

Well, there is a bit of a precedence for gods changing "across time", but as I suggested I think Satama quite possibly reformed the the faith of Anu into that of Adama in -256 DR. With (as I discussed with BadCatMan) the Durpari in Raurin. With the Durpari in Raurin reviving the old version of the cult of Anu, possibly under the influence of Tan Chin and/or Anu or Enlil (the latter seems a bit less likely now, as Enlil was shown to be a fairly chill god. still, he has a bit shady things going on about him, like him dealing with Asmodeus, so...Or as I think you suggested, the returned Enlil, might just be Hoar/Assuran).

Edited by - Baltas on 21 Jun 2020 17:22:57
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2020 :  12:53:34  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm very much in belief that the idea that some of the Babylonian/Sumerian Pantheon either travelled south to Zakhara OR were already in Toril and travelled north. I suspect that there were more than 2 groups of gods that travelled to Toril, and its just that the Mulhorandi and Untheric became better known to Faerunians that their lore survived. Others may have died out OR the Dawn Cataclysm literally wiped their existence from Faerunian minds OR some other calamity happened that we aren't aware of. Some of their cultures could have travelled down to the Utter East and become those Lords of Earth and Tides and Fire, etc... that we hear of in Blood and Magic, just as a for instance.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000