Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Anadia
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2020 :  19:49:34  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I don’t know what it is about this world that interests me but other than Toril proper, I find it to be the most interesting world in Realmspace.

I’ve been thinking of expanding it a bit because it’s pretty obvious anything SJ related will come out in dribs and drabs at best. Is this something you’d find interesting and worth a read? Do you have any thoughts about the planet?

My view of it is a world with some Dark Sun similarities but only in the environment really from the equator to the polls. I’d like to place a lot of the life underground where it is cooler but have the anadjiin dominate the surface with plainsjan and rogue umber hulks am everpresent threat.

At the poles, of course we have the half kings but I’d really love to see the actual spelljamiing downplayed a bit. Give the world its own life that doesn’t have to rely so much on a space culture (as much as I love that space culture). Perhaps spelljamming to Anadia should be so much less following the spellplague.

Is this worthwhile to take a year long pursuit of?

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2020 :  22:15:47  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm planning to present it as a major source of mined resources (with a large Underdark) for my Realmspace update.

Nomadic desert tribes and scavenger operations between the equator and the poles, with many ruins from a time when Anadia may have been further from the Sun.

The primal spirits that inhabit the world may play a key role in preventing life there from becoming altogether extinct, so they might be strongly venerated among the inhabitants.

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2020 :  23:30:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't say spend a year on it, unless you have players intent to use it. However, I like the idea of focusing on the underdark area. Since its so close to the sun, it might be interesting if there's a cult of mind flayers from glyth there that specifically are creating some "mega device" which they hope will cut off the sun's portals to the plane of fire. They may not have a chance in the nine hells, but they could still exist.

On the interior of the world, it might be interesting to actually put a portal to the Plane of Water, such that this planet has no molten core, but rather a sizable interior ocean. Also, having populations of creatures with exoskeletons would seem to make sense, and while I know you probably aren't thinking manscorpions here... they would fit (as would simple giant scorpions).

Another possibility could be some kind of solar powered construct (maybe something like a stained glass golem that's "fueled" by sunlight).... maybe that serves those race of mirror folk.. Nerra or somesuch? Maybe in the desert area there are numerous small pools of mercury and the Nerra cross over from the plane of mirrors to Anadia and "mirror jump between these mirrors to travel quickly around the planet's surface. Maybe they're coming to Anadia to harvest powderpuff to use as an explosive on an invasion elsewhere (maybe they even tend to powderpuff groves that they plant). They might have the stained glass golems working to plant, harvest, and dry out powderpuff plants.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 15 May 2020 23:47:37
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2020 :  17:28:35  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I wouldn't say spend a year on it, unless you have players intent to use it. However, I like the idea of focusing on the underdark area. Since its so close to the sun, it might be interesting if there's a cult of mind flayers from glyth there that specifically are creating some "mega device" which they hope will cut off the sun's portals to the plane of fire. They may not have a chance in the nine hells, but they could still exist.

On the interior of the world, it might be interesting to actually put a portal to the Plane of Water, such that this planet has no molten core, but rather a sizable interior ocean. Also, having populations of creatures with exoskeletons would seem to make sense, and while I know you probably aren't thinking manscorpions here... they would fit (as would simple giant scorpions).

Another possibility could be some kind of solar powered construct (maybe something like a stained glass golem that's "fueled" by sunlight).... maybe that serves those race of mirror folk.. Nerra or somesuch? Maybe in the desert area there are numerous small pools of mercury and the Nerra cross over from the plane of mirrors to Anadia and "mirror jump between these mirrors to travel quickly around the planet's surface. Maybe they're coming to Anadia to harvest powderpuff to use as an explosive on an invasion elsewhere (maybe they even tend to powderpuff groves that they plant). They might have the stained glass golems working to plant, harvest, and dry out powderpuff plants.

With the Nerra, maybe Nymurrh the bronze dragon is not far behind. That would make one wonder just how well-traveled Nymurrh or any other dragon truly is. Imagine going to another pkanet in Realmspace and encountering another Torilian.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2020 :  17:57:06  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is a quick peek into what I am thinking of continuing. Eventually, I am going to try to incorporate a lot of the ideas presented here.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rd1GB4CzjWUb7XGFhYcglUmGOqQHtUbk

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 24 May 2020 17:58:06
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2020 :  22:24:30  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the part that it may have previously have been a satellite of another heavenly body. If indeed the gods had literally set another celestial body "on fire" in order to form "the new sun", perhaps this had been the planet that it orbited.

Just a thought, perhaps your "primal font" has ritualistic ties to the "lighting of the sun". Also, perhaps the sun was inhabited before it was lit... and the primal font absorbed all these souls. You might even involve Bazim-Gorag the "ascended Batrachi" known as the Firebringer as a being involved with the ritual that lights the sun. Exactly what kinds of creatures may have lived there? Maybe some race of "shadow", and maybe some of them still inhabit the underworld of Anadia. Maybe even it was a world of illithid or aboleth like beings that was set ablaze (and may be another reason that they hate the sun).

I like the tie in with the illithids and the anadjiin and Lopango that you already had.

I like the idea of a disease brought by spelljammers and later mistrust of intruders as a result.

Good use of Phoelarches and the Phoenix. I commend you very much on that story.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 24 May 2020 22:36:15
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2020 :  01:46:10  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I like the part that it may have previously have been a satellite of another heavenly body. If indeed the gods had literally set another celestial body "on fire" in order to form "the new sun", perhaps this had been the planet that it orbited.

Just a thought, perhaps your "primal font" has ritualistic ties to the "lighting of the sun". Also, perhaps the sun was inhabited before it was lit... and the primal font absorbed all these souls. You might even involve Bazim-Gorag the "ascended Batrachi" known as the Firebringer as a being involved with the ritual that lights the sun. Exactly what kinds of creatures may have lived there? Maybe some race of "shadow", and maybe some of them still inhabit the underworld of Anadia. Maybe even it was a world of illithid or aboleth like beings that was set ablaze (and may be another reason that they hate the sun).

I like the tie in with the illithids and the anadjiin and Lopango that you already had.

I like the idea of a disease brought by spelljammers and later mistrust of intruders as a result.

Good use of Phoelarches and the Phoenix. I commend you very much on that story.

Sorry I took a little break from responding and I didn't make much progress over the last month. The last weeks of teaching were rough working remotely.

I'm actually taking a lot of the lore of the Primal Font from the Magic of Incarnum book. I plan on either linking to other fan updates for incarnum (if I find a good one) and adding my own takes on it, or redoing it in its entirety. To be honest, developing a balanced whole new class is not my forte but maybe I can find ways around it.

The Primal Race I am including here is an idea I am borrowing from the Dark Crystal series, where the anadjiin and plainsjan are two halves of the same creature separated millenia in the past. That will be my overarching theme. I am not sure how much about the batrachi or other creator races I want to bring into this because I want Anadia to be able to stand alone with or without the Realms attached. Only the halflings are originally from Lluiren 3000 years past.

You made me want to include illithids more so I did make some adjustments. Now it is on to locations in the Polarates.

Anadia WIP 6-21-20

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000