Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 What is the Most Useful and Powerful Spell?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jebeddo
Seeker

Canada
69 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  22:26:34  Show Profile  Visit jebeddo's Homepage Send jebeddo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Which spell, in your opinion, is the most powerful and popular spell in the history of Forgotten Realms?

Mine's magic missile!

"Only half-orcs rush in where devas fear to tread."

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  22:41:07  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's hardly a subject anyone's going to be able to talk about easily.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  01:19:24  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage Send Darth KTrava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have to say Fireball and Lightning Bolt for Wizards. For clerics, True Resurrection so you can bring your buddies back with no penalties. Although my personal "clerical" fav is Flame Strike. I have a cleric that just loooves to throw them around!

Evil will be dealt with swiftly as it is my duty to remove such evil from my presence.
-Rozhena, Cleric/Divine Champion of Torm
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  02:22:46  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Dartha. Fireballs and lightning bolts are the most common and useful.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  03:08:55  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, most powerful and useful? You go too far, here.

Mine would have to be Greater Spell Mantle. With one of these in effect, enemy spellcasters can't even touch you! (As for how I know this, wizards are my second favorite class)

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  04:13:37  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greater Spell Mantle is a very useful spell.I think Teleport Without Error comes in handy every once in awhile.As far as most powerful.....not sure

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  04:30:35  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My vote for most powerful and least popular would have to be Karsus' Avatar.

My votes for most useful -- tough call here, but:

Unseen Servant
Silence
Dispel Magic

all would rate up there.
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  05:53:50  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two of my absolute favorite spells would have to be the rangers Entangle spell and the druids Call Lightning spell

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  05:57:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know what bit of magic has always been poorly handled in D&D? The cantrip. Cantrips have always been these nifty and minor little magic effects, something that wizards learn before they cast their first spell. And yet, no edition of the game has yet successfully translated the flavor of cantrips into game mechanics.

The only time I've seen cantrips properly handled was in an article called "The Little Wish". 'Twas in Dragon number 221, and it made cantrips a proficiency. I think that cantrips should be like a free skill for arcane spellcasters, and, like that article, have it be linked to level. For example, 4 cantrips plus one per level, until like 5th level, when it becomes unlimited.

Doing cantrips like that makes them insanely useful, and better matches the flavor of cantrips.

I once played a character who had that proficiency (this was in 2nd edition, when TSR was still around). He was a half-elf fighter-mage, and he used cantrips so much and for some many things that it became a signature of his.

And considering that every mage has some cantrips, it could be said that that makes them the most popular.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  06:23:16  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hath always been fond of Tenser's Transformation Since Mystra woun't let us use Karsus' Avatar.

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown

Edited by - The Cardinal on 30 Apr 2004 06:25:41
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  06:42:11  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very good, Wooly. I've really disliked how you can only do so many cantrips. You can't apply bonus spells, so by the rules even a 20th level wizard with an Intelligence score of 23 couldn't cast more than four a day. Yet if he gets a headband of intellect +5 and casts five wish spells to raise his Int score, he could cast five 9th-level spells.

I myself like prestidigitation a lot. I think that, at least, should be at a one hour per level duration, rather than just one hour. That way mages can seem to have more and more tricks up their sleeves as they gain levels, until at level 16 they effectively have it all day. It's not like it's a krunchy spell like so many others . . . .

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  07:29:32  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a tendency to occasionally toss out free skill points to players when they level. These points (no more than 1 or 2) are typically in skills that they would never deign to waste valued points on, but truly do reflect stuff they have learned to do since they last leveled.

One of the wizards in my campaign now has perform magic 4, due to his teaming up with a bard nightly and using prestidigitation to enhance the bard's performance. The spell is a great one and I always felt that a performance skill should apply to this and other forms of illusionary magic which can be used to entertain.

Sarta

Edited by - Sarta on 30 Apr 2004 07:30:25
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  07:42:32  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For my two cents worth, the most powerful and useful spells have been those I've created myself and the GM was kind enough to allow them. One was called Daeron's Maximum Carnage, and it gave the casters next direct damaging spell +1d4 per die of damage. So if you cast a 6d6 fireball and rolled a 4, you'd do 24-60 pts of damage (6d6+24).

From the books I'd have to say either Stoneskin or any of the advanced illusion spells. The ones where you can create all the aspects of a beleivable scene. They're just so versatile, that their only limitation is your own imagination. I once played a second character in a campaign that tricked a dracolich into beleiving in an advanced illusion that distracted it just long enough for my main character to escape.

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon

Edited by - Yasraena on 30 Apr 2004 07:46:54
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  09:14:29  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarta

One of the wizards in my campaign now has perform magic 4, due to his teaming up with a bard nightly and using prestidigitation to enhance the bard's performance. The spell is a great one and I always felt that a performance skill should apply to this and other forms of illusionary magic which can be used to entertain.

My half-elf wizard has Craft (illusion) and Perfom (illusion). He's a generalist, but he enjoys the beauty of magic and its use in entertainment and learning more than anything battle-related.

Of course, he just recently got a javalin through the back, which is the first time this guy was ever injured in a battle . . . and it took him down to 0 hit points with one shot. He's going to be looking into better protection spells -- which include the get-him-before-he-gets-you variety.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  09:29:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm
My half-elf wizard has Craft (illusion) and Perfom (illusion). He's a generalist, but he enjoys the beauty of magic and its use in entertainment and learning more than anything battle-related.

That sounds a lot like Raistlin, in his earlier 'White-Robed' days...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  10:05:47  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Considering that all I know of Raistlin is from the first three DL books, I'll have to take your word for it.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  10:39:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a shame really . He's come a long way since those early portrayals...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  16:02:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Now, I'll admit that my Dragginglance knowledge is a bit weak... But when did Raistlin ever wear the White Robes? He started in Red and went to Black, as I recall. And when he and the others were doing the traveling show, he was definitely in Red Robes then....

quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

He's going to be looking into better protection spells -- which include the get-him-before-he-gets-you variety.

Well, 'tis said that the best defense is a good offense.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  16:23:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Now, I'll admit that my Dragginglance knowledge is a bit weak... But when did Raistlin ever wear the White Robes? He started in Red and went to Black, as I recall. And when he and the others were doing the traveling show, he was definitely in Red Robes then....

No actually, he has worn all three. Since I don't wish to incure the wrath of Alaundo, I will simply say that you should look into the novel The Soulforge. It details Raistlin's early years, from his first tentative steps as a wizard of little renown, to his Test at the Tower of High Sorcery at Wayreth.

Edited by - The Sage on 30 Apr 2004 16:24:47
Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  19:27:45  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe the honor for the most useful and powerful would have to go to Limited Wish and Wish. Versatility is key. Just be very very careful. Hehehe

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

SoulLord
Seeker

Mexico
62 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  21:58:07  Show Profile  Visit SoulLord's Homepage Send SoulLord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My vote would be for the summon monster spells

not only can you get a meatshield but some of the critters
can be used in a lot of ways.
Go to Top of Page

Israfel666
Acolyte

Italy
37 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2004 :  23:09:53  Show Profile  Visit Israfel666's Homepage Send Israfel666 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jebeddo, what do you mean by "in the history of FR"?

You mean in novels and other published sources? Then I think the most used spell is lightning bolt, which most novel-wizard in my experience favoured over fireball because it lets you blast the evil minion/goody hero while leaving the goody hero/evil minion near him unscathed. For priests, well, heal, miracle and remove curse probably have been the most often cast.

If, instead, you are referring to actual PCs, it becomes more complex. Magic missile, dispel magic and fireball are probably among the few spells that have consistently been People's Favourite throughout all three editions. In 3E, however, the clerical divine favour rules over all others in its unbelievably crappy unbalancedness, though I suspect the PGtF will bring on a new wave of druids who will always prepare thorn spray every morning (check that out... it's a broken spell if ever I saw one).

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2004 :  05:12:04  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, yes. You could be right. Possibly it just needs to be better phrased, though I'd certainly want to move that maximum damage down. Possibly a 12-dice cap on it, considering the fact that you have to give up a feat slot.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2004 :  07:37:35  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, different spells have different levels of power and importance depending on your circumstances. A feather fall spell is certainly better than a magic missile spell if you are about to fall off a cliff ...

That said, from the perspective of the a spellcaster v spellcaster situation, the old 2E spell "Sphere of Wonder" from the Seven Sisters sourcebook is the most broken, powerful spell - bar none. Cheers.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Israfel666
Acolyte

Italy
37 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2004 :  10:40:20  Show Profile  Visit Israfel666's Homepage Send Israfel666 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agree about sphere of wonder, although I as a DM would rule that it can be removed with both antimagic field and Mordenkainen's disjunction.

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Go to Top of Page

jebeddo
Seeker

Canada
69 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2004 :  02:49:54  Show Profile  Visit jebeddo's Homepage Send jebeddo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Israfel666

Jebeddo, what do you mean by "in the history of FR"?

You mean in novels and other published sources? Then I think the most used spell is lightning bolt, which most novel-wizard in my experience favoured over fireball because it lets you blast the evil minion/goody hero while leaving the goody hero/evil minion near him unscathed. For priests, well, heal, miracle and remove curse probably have been the most often cast.

If, instead, you are referring to actual PCs, it becomes more complex. Magic missile, dispel magic and fireball are probably among the few spells that have consistently been People's Favourite throughout all three editions. In 3E, however, the clerical divine favour rules over all others in its unbelievably crappy unbalancedness, though I suspect the PGtF will bring on a new wave of druids who will always prepare thorn spray every morning (check that out... it's a broken spell if ever I saw one).

Pardon my error Israfel666, I was merely referring to all the spells of the Player's Handbook and all the Forgotten Realms game sources as to avoid members using spells from the Dragonlance setting (I wouldn't really know if there are new spells featured in the book, my lack of knowledge of the Dragonlance setting is legendary). And it is also interesting to note that for some reason, most FR clerics refrain from raising the dead (and I am not talking of the Elves, because they do not wish to raise the dead) even though some of those clerics featured in the many novels are able to cast spells 5th level and higher.

Go to Top of Page

jebeddo
Seeker

Canada
69 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2004 :  03:00:14  Show Profile  Visit jebeddo's Homepage Send jebeddo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my haste, I have failed to express my fondness for many other spells. Being an illusionist, I favor the more subtle magicks than the flashy, showy magicks evokers use. Mirror image is a favorite of mine during battle. Silent image is useful for distracting guards when you wish to sneak into a stronghold. For more destructive spells, I prefer a good ol' fireball to wreck havoc among my foes *diabolical laughter*, though a meteor swarm would do much better if I weren't 10th level. I despise all one-hit-kill spells like the FINGER OF DEATH, because it only slays one enemy. Power Word: Kill is an exception, though, but I hate how in 3.5e they changed it so that it can only kill one creature instead of between one or a whole bunch of creatures (I mean, what if an army of orcs came at you?). Thank you for reading and hope that my endless rambling have considerably disturbed your interest in this topic (lol).

Go to Top of Page

Teflon
Seeker

60 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  19:39:58  Show Profile  Visit Teflon's Homepage Send Teflon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Contigency and Anti-magic field, imo are by far the most useful.

In any battle, the mightiest weapon is one that strikes unseen.

A Warrior or Wizard may be invincible in open battle, with their foes before them, but even they must sleep sometime, and cannot parry the knife that comes from behind.

-The life of a assassin.
Go to Top of Page

Calaumystar
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  22:47:56  Show Profile  Visit Calaumystar's Homepage Send Calaumystar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since Mystra has banned 10th and higher spells and I think Shar has made a similar ban (since she's a greedy goddess and doesn't want mortals to ascend so far like Karsus for example). I'd have to say I like some of the epic spells in the Player's Guide to Faerűn book.

Proctiv's Move Mountain is a great spell for us power hungry mages; the very spell the Netherese used to shear a mountain in half, levitate, and then invert it to build their enclaves on.

Horrible Army of the Dead is another epic spell I like, and is extremely powerful. 80 HD worth of enemies fall before your necromancy and then rise from death as undead warriors waiting to do your bidding. As the player of a human lich 20sor/1acm, I'd love to get my hands on a spell like this .

And as stated, Wish, Limited Wish, Miracle, Teleport Without Error, and anti-magic field are probably the most handy and useful IMO.

Edited by - Calaumystar on 11 May 2004 06:06:24
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  11:20:21  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fireball and Healing Circle are my most frequently used spells. Healing circle is really good if you are surrounded by hordes of undead. Fireball is powerfull too.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  11:30:11  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I remember Elminster rolling his eyes and asking "Why is it always fireballs?" in one of his books.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000