Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 What is the Most Useful and Powerful Spell?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jebeddo Posted - 29 Apr 2004 : 22:26:34
Which spell, in your opinion, is the most powerful and popular spell in the history of Forgotten Realms?

Mine's magic missile!
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 01 Oct 2018 : 17:03:22
Seeker jebeddo,

If I were a powerful mage who loved the crap that Cyric shoveled, I would say Karsus' Avatar. I mean, that really got the job done, whatever that job was...lol. 12th level spell!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by jebeddo

Which spell, in your opinion, is the most powerful and popular spell in the history of Forgotten Realms?

Mine's magic missile!

Karesch Posted - 29 Aug 2004 : 01:33:23
I could have sworn it was in this thread I posted, perhaps it was a similar thread elsewhere. *scratches head in wonder* eh well, I'd have to say, IMO, Spell Sequencer, with Fireballs, or I've not seen it anywhere, but if there were a "Greater Spell Sequencer" that allowed higher level spells, Maximized fireballs.

K
Lina Posted - 18 Aug 2004 : 11:35:51
quote:
Originally posted by Eccerion

FIIIIIIREBAAAAAL......KAPOW!
God gotta love the Lina Inverse approch
My group refers to the Dragon slave as "The magical equivalent of a tactical nuke"

Yes, better not tick Lina off.
Eccerion Posted - 15 Aug 2004 : 12:52:58
FIIIIIIREBAAAAAL......KAPOW!
God gotta love the Lina Inverse approch
My group refers to the Dragon slave as "The magical equivalent of a tactical nuke"
Lina Posted - 15 Aug 2004 : 08:45:20
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

You know, I remember Elminster rolling his eyes and asking "Why is it always fireballs?" in one of his books.

You obviously haven't seen Slayers (Jap-anime). It's one of Lina's favourite and frequently used spells apart from Dragon Slave.
Eccerion Posted - 14 Aug 2004 : 20:01:24
I am amazed noone has mentioned possibly the most usefull spell of them all, FLY
A single casting of fly can greatly change the way a battle turns out, like letting spellcasters throw their spells at a safe distance (flying mage with fireballs= B-52 of DnD)
Its great for getting passed cliffs and roadblocks, avoiding guards and getting kittens out of trees, and even if dispelled it lets you down gently, just look out for the chasms with the anti-magic field.

My favorite cleric spell is Destruction (hehe) fail the save or go POOF!, make it and get 10D6 damage, win-win for me either way, I once evaporated a mindflayer with that one, poor squid never knew what hit him.
DDH_101 Posted - 18 Jul 2004 : 06:05:23
Alter Self? I've always used it more for a temporary disguise or some kinda ploy to trick my enemies. Hmm... should follow your advice and see if I can screw over my DM. Lol.
Andion Isurand Posted - 18 Jul 2004 : 02:14:27
I'll put in a vote for Alter Self (sor/wiz 2) as being one of the most useful.

It's easily accessible and has a respectable duration. If you know your creatures... it can be used to improve natural armor, provide natural weapons, provide other/better modes of movement, provide a racial bonuses to certain skills, provide a means to breathe underwater, or provide a disguise.
Yoshimo Posted - 05 Jun 2004 : 20:39:19

I believe the most useful, and terrible spell in the Forgotten Realms, Selune forbid it be used against one of you, is Power Word Kill. The most useful spells are Chain Contingency and Greater Spell Trigger. Chain Contingency, for those who are not familiar, is a spell which is released during certain circumstances, such as when an enemy gets too close. Greater Spell Trigger allows the mage to store multiple spells which can be released upon the mage's command. Maze works well on lesser creatures, but is not worth trying on high level creatures (waste of time). Wish works very well, for the djinni inside the spell allows you to do as you want out of a set amount of choices. For priest spells, the most powerful, in my opinion, is Unholy Word. That and Resurrection. Oh, and casting Shield of the Archons greatly aids the priest in battle.
Hymn Posted - 18 May 2004 : 01:29:38
I think of it more as all spells are powerfull if they are applied at the right moment in the right place.

But they are so many of them and there is always some special ones. Now, most popular I would say Invisibility, perhaps not the most frequently mentioned but just think of all those murderers and asassins taking that potion of invisibility or using that trinket or bauble making them invisible.

and yes the everused fireball. Need I type more

and how about Identify or Legend lore.
Artalis Posted - 18 May 2004 : 00:38:18
I have to say another spell that is seeing a lot of use by Maelynn Frostheart(one of my more powerful characters) is Improved Invisibility. Imagine a 14th lvl chain lightning coming at your party from seemingly nowhere. Ouch.
Bookwyrm Posted - 17 May 2004 : 20:47:47
I liked that one. Perhaps a bit too zany of an end, but it's also a nice Doctor Who feel as well.

My favorite part was the bit about the staff. Everyone assumes that Elminster would only carry the most powerful of magical staffs.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 May 2004 : 15:58:16
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

I've never read that story so I can't argue with you about it. Lol.

I believe was called "Elminster at the Magefair". As I recall, it was in one of the first, if not the very first, "Realms of ..." books.
DDH_101 Posted - 17 May 2004 : 14:47:29
I've never read that story so I can't argue with you about it. Lol.
Bookwyrm Posted - 17 May 2004 : 07:55:28
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Yet it was Elminster who casted the most impressive fireball at the mage fair... Lol.

Ah, but that's different -- he was puting all those young whippersnappers in their places.
Gothmog Posted - 16 May 2004 : 19:14:43
I think Gate is a very useful spell.
It can be used in lots of ways.
DDH_101 Posted - 14 May 2004 : 15:00:51
Yet it was Elminster who casted the most impressive fireball at the mage fair... Lol.
Bookwyrm Posted - 14 May 2004 : 11:30:11
You know, I remember Elminster rolling his eyes and asking "Why is it always fireballs?" in one of his books.
Lina Posted - 14 May 2004 : 11:20:21
Fireball and Healing Circle are my most frequently used spells. Healing circle is really good if you are surrounded by hordes of undead. Fireball is powerfull too.
Calaumystar Posted - 10 May 2004 : 22:47:56
Since Mystra has banned 10th and higher spells and I think Shar has made a similar ban (since she's a greedy goddess and doesn't want mortals to ascend so far like Karsus for example). I'd have to say I like some of the epic spells in the Player's Guide to Faerūn book.

Proctiv's Move Mountain is a great spell for us power hungry mages; the very spell the Netherese used to shear a mountain in half, levitate, and then invert it to build their enclaves on.

Horrible Army of the Dead is another epic spell I like, and is extremely powerful. 80 HD worth of enemies fall before your necromancy and then rise from death as undead warriors waiting to do your bidding. As the player of a human lich 20sor/1acm, I'd love to get my hands on a spell like this .

And as stated, Wish, Limited Wish, Miracle, Teleport Without Error, and anti-magic field are probably the most handy and useful IMO.
Teflon Posted - 09 May 2004 : 19:39:58
Contigency and Anti-magic field, imo are by far the most useful.
jebeddo Posted - 04 May 2004 : 03:00:14
In my haste, I have failed to express my fondness for many other spells. Being an illusionist, I favor the more subtle magicks than the flashy, showy magicks evokers use. Mirror image is a favorite of mine during battle. Silent image is useful for distracting guards when you wish to sneak into a stronghold. For more destructive spells, I prefer a good ol' fireball to wreck havoc among my foes *diabolical laughter*, though a meteor swarm would do much better if I weren't 10th level. I despise all one-hit-kill spells like the FINGER OF DEATH, because it only slays one enemy. Power Word: Kill is an exception, though, but I hate how in 3.5e they changed it so that it can only kill one creature instead of between one or a whole bunch of creatures (I mean, what if an army of orcs came at you?). Thank you for reading and hope that my endless rambling have considerably disturbed your interest in this topic (lol).
jebeddo Posted - 04 May 2004 : 02:49:54
quote:
Originally posted by Israfel666

Jebeddo, what do you mean by "in the history of FR"?

You mean in novels and other published sources? Then I think the most used spell is lightning bolt, which most novel-wizard in my experience favoured over fireball because it lets you blast the evil minion/goody hero while leaving the goody hero/evil minion near him unscathed. For priests, well, heal, miracle and remove curse probably have been the most often cast.

If, instead, you are referring to actual PCs, it becomes more complex. Magic missile, dispel magic and fireball are probably among the few spells that have consistently been People's Favourite throughout all three editions. In 3E, however, the clerical divine favour rules over all others in its unbelievably crappy unbalancedness, though I suspect the PGtF will bring on a new wave of druids who will always prepare thorn spray every morning (check that out... it's a broken spell if ever I saw one).

Pardon my error Israfel666, I was merely referring to all the spells of the Player's Handbook and all the Forgotten Realms game sources as to avoid members using spells from the Dragonlance setting (I wouldn't really know if there are new spells featured in the book, my lack of knowledge of the Dragonlance setting is legendary). And it is also interesting to note that for some reason, most FR clerics refrain from raising the dead (and I am not talking of the Elves, because they do not wish to raise the dead) even though some of those clerics featured in the many novels are able to cast spells 5th level and higher.
Israfel666 Posted - 02 May 2004 : 10:40:20
Agree about sphere of wonder, although I as a DM would rule that it can be removed with both antimagic field and Mordenkainen's disjunction.
George Krashos Posted - 02 May 2004 : 07:37:35
Well, different spells have different levels of power and importance depending on your circumstances. A feather fall spell is certainly better than a magic missile spell if you are about to fall off a cliff ...

That said, from the perspective of the a spellcaster v spellcaster situation, the old 2E spell "Sphere of Wonder" from the Seven Sisters sourcebook is the most broken, powerful spell - bar none. Cheers.

-- George Krashos
Bookwyrm Posted - 02 May 2004 : 05:12:04
Hmm, yes. You could be right. Possibly it just needs to be better phrased, though I'd certainly want to move that maximum damage down. Possibly a 12-dice cap on it, considering the fact that you have to give up a feat slot.
Israfel666 Posted - 01 May 2004 : 23:09:53
Jebeddo, what do you mean by "in the history of FR"?

You mean in novels and other published sources? Then I think the most used spell is lightning bolt, which most novel-wizard in my experience favoured over fireball because it lets you blast the evil minion/goody hero while leaving the goody hero/evil minion near him unscathed. For priests, well, heal, miracle and remove curse probably have been the most often cast.

If, instead, you are referring to actual PCs, it becomes more complex. Magic missile, dispel magic and fireball are probably among the few spells that have consistently been People's Favourite throughout all three editions. In 3E, however, the clerical divine favour rules over all others in its unbelievably crappy unbalancedness, though I suspect the PGtF will bring on a new wave of druids who will always prepare thorn spray every morning (check that out... it's a broken spell if ever I saw one).
SoulLord Posted - 30 Apr 2004 : 21:58:07
My vote would be for the summon monster spells

not only can you get a meatshield but some of the critters
can be used in a lot of ways.
Artalis Posted - 30 Apr 2004 : 19:27:45
I believe the honor for the most useful and powerful would have to go to Limited Wish and Wish. Versatility is key. Just be very very careful. Hehehe
The Sage Posted - 30 Apr 2004 : 16:23:36
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

That sounds a lot like Raistlin, in his earlier 'White-Robed' days...

Now, I'll admit that my Dragginglance knowledge is a bit weak... But when did Raistlin ever wear the White Robes? He started in Red and went to Black, as I recall. And when he and the others were doing the traveling show, he was definitely in Red Robes then....

No actually, he has worn all three. Since I don't wish to incure the wrath of Alaundo, I will simply say that you should look into the novel The Soulforge. It details Raistlin's early years, from his first tentative steps as a wizard of little renown, to his Test at the Tower of High Sorcery at Wayreth.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000