Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Did the Spellplague Scatter the Great Wheel?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  22:52:09  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Certain planes like Limbo were lost due to the Spellplague, making the Great Wheel fundamentally incomplete. Until I learned of this, I subscribed whole-heartedly the Great Wheel cosmology, but now am full of doubt. I suppose I could subscribe to the World Tree cosmology, in so much as the branches would be able to connect the planes without having any particular order, but I am uneasy fully commuting to such an idea. The Wheel made SO much sense.

Those who destroy knowledge, with ink, fire, or sword, are themselves destroyed.

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  23:29:24  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Wheel is back as of the Second Sundering. The Spellplague doesn't have influence on the current era.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  23:38:15  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Spellplague destroyed the World Tree cosmology of 3rd edition, which replaced the Great Wheel cosmology of 1st and 2nd edition. Then came the World Axis cosmology of 4th edition. The Great Wheel is evidently back as of 5th edition.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1486 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  23:47:48  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The planes exist independently of the pantheon. The Faerunian pantheon is just one of many on the planes.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2020 :  00:17:07  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you accept any 4E lore (like the Spellplague) then you must accept all 4E lore (like the 4E cosmology and Abeir). If you accept WotC's version of post-4E lore then you tacitly accept their explanations that 4E and the changes described in 4E did happen.

You don't absolutely have to accept the whole package deal, of course, you could pick and choose and rewrite it all any way you like. But you'd basically be rewriting the whole edition anyways, a lot of work, and you'd basically have to contrive ways to fit all the incompatible problems together, also a lot of work. Many people keep buying WotC so they don't have to do the work and write all the books/lore for themselves.

If you don't accept 4E lore - "not in MY Realms!" - then no Spellplague, no broken old cosmos, no reconstructed new cosmos, no problem.

I've said it before - the rules edition and the Realmslore edition are always married, meant to stay together, incomplete when viewed alone. You can't ask questions about how 4E lore fits in pre-4E settings, they're meaningless. You don't have to ask questions about 4E lore in 4E settings, all the answers are already given. The questions aren't relevant in post-4E settings, they've already been discarded from or expanded into the "historical" background. (The same applies to 1E vs 2E vs 3E, etc, I only use 4E as example because the original question asks about specific consequences of 4E events.)

But then again, you're asking about Limbo, true Chaos, elemental Chaos, a plane (or planes) which could never be fully explored or fully understood anyhow. Inherently unpredictable and unstable (and impossible) by definition. So maybe Limbo was an aberration which could never last eternally anyhow, maybe it changed into something else, maybe Law finally triumphed and the cosmos has begun evolving towards ultimate order (and stagnation), who can say?

I've played all editions, as standalone games in their own standalone settings. They're each quite viable within their own isolated contexts.
But for the most part I reject 4E (and thus 5E), only drawing upon them for selective inspirations which are adapted to pre-4E rules in pre-4E settings.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 10 Apr 2020 00:41:22
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2445 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2020 :  00:51:45  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As Delnyn mentioned, the Spellplague burned the World Tree, and it seems that scattered/reorganized/destroyed some planes, and "rediscovered" others that were forgotten long ago (the Elemental Chaos, for instance). This reorganisation is what they call the World Axis. At least, that's the theory some sages subscribe to. There is no info on how the World Tree replaced the Great Wheel before that.

Remember, however, that in 5e, there is no true cosmology, just theoretical models some sages believe they are "the true shape of the universe". However, we mortals don't know/cannot understand the true shape of the universe, and none of these are true (or false, for that matter). That is why the Great Wheel of 5e now have "new planes" included, as it was updated to include the new planes "discovered" after the Spellplague.

That's the official (WotC) estance, anyways. According to the 5e DMG, the Great Wheel, the World Tree and the World Axis are just the most popular of such theoretical models across the multiverse, but there many others out there.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 10 Apr 2020 01:22:12
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2020 :  03:20:35  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, so what I’m getting from you guys is that the wheel did get effed, but is now back somehow. I will hunt down a diagram of the new and improved 5e wheel. Muchas gracias mis amigos.

Those who destroy knowledge, with ink, fire, or sword, are themselves destroyed.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2445 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2020 :  05:53:36  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, you can see it that way. However, just to clarify, the Wheel was not replaced by the Spellplague, but by some earlier event not documented somewhere. It got replaced by the World Tree. The Spellplague burned the World Tree and gave us the World Axis. Post-Second Sundering, all cosmologies coexist.

Anyways, this is the current model (from 5e PHB):

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/a/a2/Planes-5e.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20180207035855

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1486 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2020 :  07:20:03  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Spellplague shouldn't affect the Wheel. The Wheel exists independently of the Prime, and some cataclysm on one Prime has no bearing on the multiverse at large. It's an event unique to Realmspace, not to the planes.
Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2020 :  08:00:43  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's basically just a conceptual model made to help understand the complexities of planar connections. The multiverse isn't actually in the shape of a wheel and never was.

It's like how a picture of a tesseract is super-simplified to help a reader achieve a visual concept.

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000