Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Myths from a Flipped Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Merlin Monroe
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2020 :  18:08:24  Show Profile Send Merlin Monroe a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A thread from RPGnet got me thinking about what a Flipped Faerun would look like ~ a Faerun in which the gods had directly opposite alignments from standard Faerun (CG=>LE, LN=>CN, etc.) So I started by writing a little bit about the House of Nature, home to two of my favorite gods ~ Lurue and Eldath. Check it out over on my blog and lemme know what you think?

https://luciferssubcreations.blogspot.com/2020/03/myths-from-flipped-faerun-part-i.html

either e/em/eir pronouns OR fey/fem/fear OR be/bim/bos pronouns {if you don't want to learn new words, singular they is OK}

Running: Neurally Ambiguous: Geppetto Must Die (Shadowrun 5e) (https://www.plexstorm.com/stream/showusyourcrits ; NSFW website)

Support my RPG writing and streaming on Patreon! https://www.patreon.com/queermythopoeia

https://luciferssubcreations.blogspot.com {an rpg blog}

Many gods, no masters. Re-enchantment or bust!

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2020 :  18:13:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I don't have time at the moment to check out the link, but I have to say this: Merlin Monroe is the second most awesome username I've seen here, second only to Pasta Fzoul.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2020 :  18:50:27  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very interesting, although it might interest you it was recently revealed by Eric L. Boyd Gwaeron Windstrom was a way connected to the Gods of Fury in terms of ascension - as both are parts of the Ruathen (proto-Northmen) Pantheon:
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23285

With Gwaeron more inheriting the portfolio, as fulfilling the role of the "tracker", who opposes Malar.

Again though, your version of Realms, has full right to be different (seeing it's an alternate, mirror Realms), but I think that lore might be some further inspiration.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2020 :  18:52:36  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LMAO!!... Erevan Ilesere would be lawful. I would not play such a world. lol. Good concept.
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2020 :  19:27:28  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would be very keen on seeing whatever the situation with the flipped elves would be - the few virtuous drow surviving deep beneath the surface their cruel kin dominate, always watchful for the siren song of the Silverhair, who tempts the dark elves towards corruption.

I don't want to think about an evil Ilmater... though that might just be Torog (who, I should note, Ed hinted might exist in the Realms in a recent tweet).

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.

Edited by - keftiu on 14 Mar 2020 19:43:10
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2020 :  19:49:27  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes!! Evil Helm. CE Helm sounds tasty. Death Knights are his favored Paladins.

Yes!! Evil Erevan Ilesere. LE Erevan looks delicious. Actually wait, If you flipped a CN deity, what would the deity become? Chaotic would become Lawful, but what would Neutral become? lol. So maybe Erevan would be LN instead. Bwaahahahaha!!! CN he is cool. LN he is a massive jerk. lol.

Evil Mielikki?? Evil rangers and druids and clerics? Worship the Black Unicorn. I like the concept of a Dark Unicorn almost alike a Nightmare steed of incredible power. A ultimately powerful Nightmare steed had a baby with a ultra-Unicorn and birthed Evil Mielikki. lol. Goddess of blight and corruption in the natural world.

I forget the name of that Mega-powerful Blight-Lord in the Unapproachable East supplement? He ruled the ancient ruins of the Forest of Rawlinswood?? The Rotting man? I can see him following evil Mielikki. lol
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2020 :  02:52:52  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A flipped Helm would be CN.

An evil Lathander would be the Faerunian equivalent of the Burning Hate meme.

A good Bane would be the god of rebels.

Talos would be the god of careful, orderly destruction and the regulation of the natural cycles.

The neutral gods wouldn't change.

A NE Mystra would basically be Velsharoon without the necromancy and lichdom focus.

Loviatar and Ilmater switch places.

Lolth would be a loving, stifling mother goddess while Vhaeraun would be the more gregarious, take - action - now type.

That's just off the top of my head.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2020 :  03:43:54  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then flip Arvandor...

Corellon is a bladesinger assassin.
Solonor is an assassin ranger
Sehanine is a Sorcerer Monks dream
Rillifane is a blight lords desire
Sheverash is his own peoples demise
Fenmerale Mesterine is a talkative busy body that adores the drow elves.
Erevan Ilesere is an exemplar of good elves and follows the rule of law.

lmao!! A flipped Sheverash kills me. that alone makes me crumble into pieces.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2020 :  12:27:34  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halflings are Evil and Goblins are Good.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2020 :  14:16:18  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But halflings have always been evil. They hide it with smiling faces and supposedly friendly songs, but if you left them in charge they will kill us all. It already happened on Athas...

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 14 Mar 2020 14:16:59
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2020 :  21:46:58  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Okay, I don't have time at the moment to check out the link, but I have to say this: Merlin Monroe is the second most awesome username I've seen here, second only to Pasta Fzoul.

Bloody brilliant.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2020 :  16:55:01  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

Then flip Arvandor...

Corellon is a bladesinger assassin.
Solonor is an assassin ranger
Sehanine is a Sorcerer Monks dream
Rillifane is a blight lords desire
Sheverash is his own peoples demise
Fenmerale Mesterine is a talkative busy body that adores the drow elves.
Erevan Ilesere is an exemplar of good elves and follows the rule of law.

lmao!! A flipped Sheverash kills me. that alone makes me crumble into pieces.

Meanwhile back on Toril, you have a flipped Srinshee at large and still active. Let the implications sink in....
Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2020 :  00:52:17  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Labelas Enoreth is now a lawful evil conquerer of the timestream, traveling across various points in history to subjugate entire worlds wherever and whenever possible.

Only the ascended deities known as Bill and Ted can stop the evil machinations of the Evil Time Lord.

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2020 :  19:24:57  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte Monroe,

I think the issue of a "true" neutral would the best. They are the ones that are the purest, as they never change? Very interesting.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2020 :  23:02:52  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master cpthero2,
So would a flipped Oghma still be neutral, but his portfolio would be willful ignorance?

quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Acolyte Monroe,

I think the issue of a "true" neutral would the best. They are the ones that are the purest, as they never change? Very interesting.

Best regards,

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2020 :  06:50:26  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Delnyn,

hahaha...nice!

I think you're just looking for a way for Oghma to get out of the house and party for a night! haha

I see it as the neutral's winning by nights end here! ;)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2020 :  07:06:16  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A flipped Oghma would be something like Hermaeus Mora from the Elder Scrolls, hoarding knowledge because he can. Tentacles and Lovecraftian imagery are optional.
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2020 :  12:02:53  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

A flipped Oghma would be something like Hermaeus Mora from the Elder Scrolls, hoarding knowledge because he can. Tentacles and Lovecraftian imagery are optional.

Oh no, now I have a hentai meme in my skull!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2020 :  23:01:06  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Delnyn,

hahaha...and I just got a Voltron combination in my head of Moander and Oghma: MoOghma. lol

I am not sure why. It just came to me like Ray on Ghostbusters thinking of the StayPuff Marshmallow man. I just couldn't help it.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2020 :  03:10:07  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm, now pondering a flipped Ao. Would it be "Screw all pantheons. I'm killing the gods and grabbing their portfolios for myself" or would it be making all deities in all pantheons independent of their worshipers' devotion?
Go to Top of Page

Merlin Monroe
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2020 :  20:13:58  Show Profile Send Merlin Monroe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I published some more about a backwards House of Nature on my blog. While the previous installment covered Silvanus's bloodline and the entourages that are involved therewith, this one covers some of the other greater gods (Chauntea, Lathander, Ubtao) as well as a few assorted other gods who make their home in the House (the Cat Lord, Skerrit, Syranita). I'm planning for a part III covering the flipped Deities of Fury ~ enough have been stated in the lore to live with the other nature gods that I'm just gonna fold them in wholly to the House. Not sure what I'll do after that.....

https://luciferssubcreations.blogspot.com/2020/03/myths-from-flipped-faerun-part-ii.html

quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Acolyte Monroe,

Best regards,

Master cpthero2,

I address that somewhat in this part, which includes two more N deities of Flipped Faerun. I didn't really change Silvanus or Ubtao overmuch, with the latter mostly being a way for me to attempt to show an actual N philosophy (there is nothing bad in the ecosystem, it all serves a function and adds to the health of the overall community, even the seemingly evil) and the beneficial side of neutrality as opposed to, frex, Dragonlance's "Balance is best but Neutrality is just like Dirty Good" perspective.

With the Cat Lord, I focused on flipping their perspective on different axes entirely, with the previous Cat Lord being less nature-over-city and more nature-as-city with the current being more city-as-nature. Subtle but hugely different constructions of the world that don't privilege good or evil or law or chaos.... I'd be interested to hear how well I succeeded (or failed to).

either e/em/eir pronouns OR fey/fem/fear OR be/bim/bos pronouns {if you don't want to learn new words, singular they is OK}

Running: Neurally Ambiguous: Geppetto Must Die (Shadowrun 5e) (https://www.plexstorm.com/stream/showusyourcrits ; NSFW website)

Support my RPG writing and streaming on Patreon! https://www.patreon.com/queermythopoeia

https://luciferssubcreations.blogspot.com {an rpg blog}

Many gods, no masters. Re-enchantment or bust!

Edited by - Merlin Monroe on 28 Mar 2020 20:14:53
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000