Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 I’d love to hear about full campaigns you were in.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2020 :  09:40:29  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I’ve been a fan of the Realms for 15 years and been playing tabletop for 12, but I’ve never actually gotten to play in the setting (though I’m poised to finally fix that with a game set in Sembia here soon). I’ve also never been in a lengthy campaign of any sort, with my record being a single-digit number of sessions, and the vast majority of my experience being one-shots.

So I’m making this to hear from you all, some of whom have been playing in the Realms as long as I’ve been alive. I’d love to hear summaries of any length and sort of what stories your table has told. Thanks in advance!

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2020 :  19:50:24  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe keftiu,

Just to clarify: only as a character, not running as a DM, correct?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

I’ve been a fan of the Realms for 15 years and been playing tabletop for 12, but I’ve never actually gotten to play in the setting (though I’m poised to finally fix that with a game set in Sembia here soon). I’ve also never been in a lengthy campaign of any sort, with my record being a single-digit number of sessions, and the vast majority of my experience being one-shots.

So I’m making this to hear from you all, some of whom have been playing in the Realms as long as I’ve been alive. I’d love to hear summaries of any length and sort of what stories your table has told. Thanks in advance!

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2020 :  20:10:43  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Learned Scribe keftiu,

Best regards,

quote:

Either is fine

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2020 :  20:19:08  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe keftiu,

Well...in that case, as a DM, my absolute favorite campaign to run of mine is what I call, "A Troubled Economy."

It is based in the Shining South as a starting point, is a non-scaled, sandbox campaign, and it usually takes 3 - 4 years to run assuming you play every other weekend (one day on that weekend: my wife would murder me if all weekend). The campaign starts in Assur, Durpar, and allows the players characters to do whatever they like. It is very hands off from me as they tell the story of their characters. I give occurrences that pop up as a means of expressing daily life that they can choose to interact with, and as they do, I have things prepped in a sandbox manner. I utilize a karma system to reward the players to RP powerfully, and it makes combat happen when it should, not as a necessary element to level up.

As to the Shining South, it is my absolute most favorite part of the world. It is awesome in its diversity of people, philosophy, religions, economics, and so much more. I love how you can get so much difference going from Ulgarth in the east to Halruaa in the west. I especially like how Dambrath is the bad guy on the coast, with enormous electrum mines (Crints when minted), and that the environment brings a whole new reality to the game for survival, etc., i.e. deserts on the equator.

Watching players interact with the Realms in a free flow, non-scaled, everything at once at their pace way, is fantastic! :)

How about you?

Best regards,

quote:

quote:

Learned Scribe keftiu,

Best regards,

quote:

Either is fine

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2020 :  00:08:37  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let’s see...me and my friend have been the primary DMs since we were 18...he was solo before that at 13...we’re 41 now...I’d classify that as 5.5 completed campaigns...most of which spanned overlapping 10-12 years each…. Where to start, or more appropriately, where to hold back?

We mostly played in Cormyr, and the Dalelands. Lots of one shot adventures; go to a town, meet the NPCs of the place, find a monster, do a lord a favor. Buy some inns, burn some inns down. Once I came along, with my want for details, and maps, and dates and events, more things became concrete. Using an article from Dragon 206, my friend built up a campaign around Tashara and the 7 skulls, 6 mystical stones of creation, and a Necromancer. All of us, plus several other evil cabal members, hunted around the Realms to find Tashara’s skulls before her resurrected form could, as well as get all the other mystical stones before the necromancer, all in a bid to disrupt the necromancer’s plan that later became revealed as his plan to ascend to godhood. We traveled everywhere from Cormyr; the Western Heartlands; Elturel, Berdusk, over to Baldur’s Gate, up to Waterdeep, into Undermountain, briefly across parts of the Anuaroch (no Shadovar yet), to Myth Drannor, Phlan, Zhentil Keep, Algarond and Thay, Rashemen, then up to Vaasa and Narfell (since these regions didn’t have the most detailed of regions, my friend could explore and do whatever he wanted in the region). We traveled to Elysium, to be assured of our journey and gain knowledge from our cleric’s god, Lathandar, and we traveled to the Abyss to get back my mage, who destroyed a near full Staff of Power on the head of an ancient blue dragon and was transported there.

Much of this was in response to want to use our boxed sets (Waterdeep, Undermountain, Spellbound, Ruins of Myth Drannor, Ruins of Zhentil Keep), and to put a pure evil deity back in place since Bane (and Myrkul and Bhaal) was still dead at the time, and all we had left was Cyric and Kelemvor, and my buddy wasn’t having that!

So that’s one campaign...the other .5 of this campaign was working to resurrect one of group (who was cursed with death by the rise of the Necromancer god) and also destroy the evil sects of necromancers following this new god as he arises in Vaasa, Narfell, and across the Cold Lands. All this took us across high school and most of college.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2020 :  00:15:15  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Renin,

That is absolutely awesome that you have that kind of longevity in your campaigns, and have been friends for that long doing that! Seriously awesome!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Renin

Let’s see...me and my friend have been the primary DMs since we were 18...he was solo before that at 13...we’re 41 now...I’d classify that as 5.5 completed campaigns...most of which spanned overlapping 10-12 years each…. Where to start, or more appropriately, where to hold back?

We mostly played in Cormyr, and the Dalelands. Lots of one shot adventures; go to a town, meet the NPCs of the place, find a monster, do a lord a favor. Buy some inns, burn some inns down. Once I came along, with my want for details, and maps, and dates and events, more things became concrete. Using an article from Dragon 206, my friend built up a campaign around Tashara and the 7 skulls, 6 mystical stones of creation, and a Necromancer. All of us, plus several other evil cabal members, hunted around the Realms to find Tashara’s skulls before her resurrected form could, as well as get all the other mystical stones before the necromancer, all in a bid to disrupt the necromancer’s plan that later became revealed as his plan to ascend to godhood. We traveled everywhere from Cormyr; the Western Heartlands; Elturel, Berdusk, over to Baldur’s Gate, up to Waterdeep, into Undermountain, briefly across parts of the Anuaroch (no Shadovar yet), to Myth Drannor, Phlan, Zhentil Keep, Algarond and Thay, Rashemen, then up to Vaasa and Narfell (since these regions didn’t have the most detailed of regions, my friend could explore and do whatever he wanted in the region). We traveled to Elysium, to be assured of our journey and gain knowledge from our cleric’s god, Lathandar, and we traveled to the Abyss to get back my mage, who destroyed a near full Staff of Power on the head of an ancient blue dragon and was transported there.

Much of this was in response to want to use our boxed sets (Waterdeep, Undermountain, Spellbound, Ruins of Myth Drannor, Ruins of Zhentil Keep), and to put a pure evil deity back in place since Bane (and Myrkul and Bhaal) was still dead at the time, and all we had left was Cyric and Kelemvor, and my buddy wasn’t having that!

So that’s one campaign...the other .5 of this campaign was working to resurrect one of group (who was cursed with death by the rise of the Necromancer god) and also destroy the evil sects of necromancers following this new god as he arises in Vaasa, Narfell, and across the Cold Lands. All this took us across high school and most of college.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2020 :  11:46:55  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My campaign in the Realms will complete 22 years in July. The starting years happened in a caravan from Scornubel to Waterdeep, where the party met and forged their bonds. After this trip, they ended up stablishing themselves in Daggerford, and adventuring mostly in the surrounding areas, having frequent forays to Undermountain and further to the North, mostly in Silverymoon.

The party has a bladesinger girl from Evereska, a barbarian specialty priestess of Tempus from the Moonshaes (mounting a pegasus), an errand Knight in Silver and a crusader of Corellon Larethian, plus some NPCs - an elven archer (husband to the bladesinger), an Uthgardt barbarian (hunter and tracker), a tallfellow halfling rogue (swashbuckler-ish and harper agent), among others. Occasional allies include the priestess' master and a few northmen companions, and a paladin of Lathander (the priestess' lover). There are three "retired" characters, whose paths led to act far from the rest of the party: a human bard, a gnome priest of Garl Glittergold and his two followers (humans; a male rogue and a female gypsy), and a hairfeet halfling rogue. Besides, there is one deceased Daggerford knight and one missing noble witch.

They recently recovered a relic to heal the priestess' master, who had his tongue cut by member of the Kraken Society. The crusader was recently admitted to an order within the church, in a ceremony in the Pantheon Temple of the Seldarine in Waterdeep. The bladesinger has a mission of trying to find the avariel in the North, and a hidden story concerning her clan's lost moonblade. And they will soon face their first dragon, because they got the enmity of the Cult of the Dragon when they defeated a cell which was robbering gems and treasure to give as a gift to dragons they wanted to join them, and gave a dracolich potion they found to Lady Alustriel of Silverymoon, angering its former owners.

EDIT: forgot about the bard, he left to search for his father, which was a Harper.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 13 Mar 2020 13:58:23
Go to Top of Page

VikingLegion
Senior Scribe

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2020 :  14:03:42  Show Profile Send VikingLegion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've run two separate FR campaigns that each spanned almost exactly 6 years of real world time, so I guess that must be my sweet spot.

The first was back in the 1990s with a bunch of high-school/early college friends. It was very free-form and sandboxy. I had a ton of modules and boxed sets from all different regions, so the players just sort of roamed about at their whims and I had something ready for them. They each had a stable of 3-5 characters and would often swap them in and out based on what might work best for a particular mission. There was very little in the way of an overarching plotline, but a metastory sort of evolved over time as the characters grew in power and started having greater influence over the world. They "grew up" mainly in the Dalelands area, with visits to Cormyr, Sembia, and several stops around various Moonsea cities. The Ruins of Myth Drannor ended up being a very prominent player in the story. A long eastward trip through the Hordelands and into Kara-Tur ended up being a huge part of the story arc.

The second campaign, in the mid 2000s, featured many of the same players at the table, it was sort of a reunion now that we were all adults (still playing games though!) It had a completely different vibe to it, as I meticulously plotted out a major Multiverse affecting storyline. I put so much prep work into this thing it was ridiculous: maps, handouts, 3d environmental models, soundtracks, etc. Each player created just one character this time around, with fairly detailed backgrounds. They grew up together in a small frontier town of my creation just a bit off the Trade Way on the western side of Faerun near the Forest of Wyrms. It was fun to see a group of 6 childhood friends start off as nobodies, become fledgling adventurers, establish a bit of a name for themselves in their backwater town, and eventually Champions of all Creation. They hung out initially in that small area, I had my own mythology concerning the Boareskyr Bridge that played a prominent role. But eventually it became more of a planar campaign with specific emphasis on the Elemental Planes of Fire, Earth, Water, and Air - and also the Positive/Negative Energy Planes - as the players had to solve the unraveling of all existence.

The 2nd campaign was, by necessity, much more of a railroad. But the more mature players at my table understood that it had to be in order to tell a more coherent story and played along admirably, while still having enough freedom to explore their own characters with plenty of side missions and individual goals within the framework of the larger story.

I can't say which campaign was more enjoyable, they both had their pros and cons and have generated stories and funny moments that will stay with me and my group of friends for the rest of our lives. We still reference those campaigns frequently when hanging out.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2020 :  15:55:38  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a long running campaign (9 years), and a second one that started 1 year ago. However, the latter isn't set in FR, and the former started in FR, but I found far too many things that didn't fit the the idea for the campaign, so I ended up scrapping the setting entirely, and creating a homebrew.

I love FR, but I always find myself changing way too much stuff to use a published setting for a campaign.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2020 :  17:41:46  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Barastir,

So, are the players all the same as well? 22 years is absolutely incredible!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

My campaign in the Realms will complete 22 years in July. The starting years happened in a caravan from Scornubel to Waterdeep, where the party met and forged their bonds. After this trip, they ended up stablishing themselves in Daggerford, and adventuring mostly in the surrounding areas, having frequent forays to Undermountain and further to the North, mostly in Silverymoon.

The party has a bladesinger girl from Evereska, a barbarian specialty priestess of Tempus from the Moonshaes (mounting a pegasus), an errand Knight in Silver and a crusader of Corellon Larethian, plus some NPCs - an elven archer (husband to the bladesinger), an Uthgardt barbarian (hunter and tracker), a tallfellow halfling rogue (swashbuckler-ish and harper agent), among others. Occasional allies include the priestess' master and a few northmen companions, and a paladin of Lathander (the priestess' lover). There are two "retired" characters, whose paths led to act far from the rest of the party: a gnome priest of Garl Glittergold and his two followers (humans; a male rogue and a female gypsy), and a hairfeet halfling rogue. Besides, there is one deceased Daggerford knight and one missing noble witch.

They recently recovered a relic to heal the priestess' master, who had his tongue cut by member of the Kraken Society. The crusader was recently admitted to an order within the church, in a ceremony in the Pantheon Temple of the Seldarine in Waterdeep. The bladesinger has a mission of trying to find the avariel in the North, and a hidden story concerning her clan's lost moonblade. And they will soon face their first dragon, because they got the enmity of the Cult of the Dragon when they defeated a cell which was robbering gems and treasure to give as a gift to dragons they wanted to join them, and gave a dracolich potion they found to Lady Alustriel of Silverymoon, angering its former owners.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2020 :  17:44:24  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe VikingLegion,

That second campaign sounds like exactly what I do. My hats off to you! That sounds absolutely amazing. I never play anymore because I am just so picky on what kind of game I want, I would rather never play again and DM only, than have a game not to my liking. That sounds perfect!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by VikingLegion

I've run two separate FR campaigns that each spanned almost exactly 6 years of real world time, so I guess that must be my sweet spot.

The first was back in the 1990s with a bunch of high-school/early college friends. It was very free-form and sandboxy. I had a ton of modules and boxed sets from all different regions, so the players just sort of roamed about at their whims and I had something ready for them. They each had a stable of 3-5 characters and would often swap them in and out based on what might work best for a particular mission. There was very little in the way of an overarching plotline, but a metastory sort of evolved over time as the characters grew in power and started having greater influence over the world. They "grew up" mainly in the Dalelands area, with visits to Cormyr, Sembia, and several stops around various Moonsea cities. The Ruins of Myth Drannor ended up being a very prominent player in the story. A long eastward trip through the Hordelands and into Kara-Tur ended up being a huge part of the story arc.

The second campaign, in the mid 2000s, featured many of the same players at the table, it was sort of a reunion now that we were all adults (still playing games though!) It had a completely different vibe to it, as I meticulously plotted out a major Multiverse affecting storyline. I put so much prep work into this thing it was ridiculous: maps, handouts, 3d environmental models, soundtracks, etc. Each player created just one character this time around, with fairly detailed backgrounds. They grew up together in a small frontier town of my creation just a bit off the Trade Way on the western side of Faerun near the Forest of Wyrms. It was fun to see a group of 6 childhood friends start off as nobodies, become fledgling adventurers, establish a bit of a name for themselves in their backwater town, and eventually Champions of all Creation. They hung out initially in that small area, I had my own mythology concerning the Boareskyr Bridge that played a prominent role. But eventually it became more of a planar campaign with specific emphasis on the Elemental Planes of Fire, Earth, Water, and Air - and also the Positive/Negative Energy Planes - as the players had to solve the unraveling of all existence.

The 2nd campaign was, by necessity, much more of a railroad. But the more mature players at my table understood that it had to be in order to tell a more coherent story and played along admirably, while still having enough freedom to explore their own characters with plenty of side missions and individual goals within the framework of the larger story.

I can't say which campaign was more enjoyable, they both had their pros and cons and have generated stories and funny moments that will stay with me and my group of friends for the rest of our lives. We still reference those campaigns frequently when hanging out.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2020 :  17:46:50  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Irennan,

Man, listening to all of these long-term campaigns, yours at 9 years, and upwards of 22 years is really making me realize that my 4 year campaigns are nothing! haha

Same question for you too: same players?

Congrats!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

I have a long running campaign (9 years), and a second one that started 1 year ago. However, the latter isn't set in FR, and the former started in FR, but I found far too many things that didn't fit the the idea for the campaign, so I ended up scrapping the setting entirely, and creating a homebrew.

I love FR, but I always find myself changing way too much stuff to use a published setting for a campaign.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2020 :  18:09:17  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, same players across the years, and in both campaigns. The players are my family and my brother's girlfriend.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2020 :  21:22:56  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Irennan,

That is so cool!

Hold it though: your brother hasn't proposed in (9) years? I hope she isn't on the forums here at Candlekeep! haha

Best regards,

quote:

Yes, same players across the years, and in both campaigns. The players are my family and my brother's girlfriend.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2020 :  21:57:34  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Great Reader Irennan,

That is so cool!

Hold it though: your brother hasn't proposed in (9) years? I hope she isn't on the forums here at Candlekeep! haha

Best regards,

quote:

They've been partners for 1 year and a half--his girlfriend plays in the new campaign along with him and our parents, while the players for the older one are my parents and my brother.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2020 :  01:09:45  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Irennan,

Ahhh....makes more sense. I was thinking, "Damn, nine years! My woman never would have let me get away with that!", haha.

Best regards,

quote:

quote:

Great Reader Irennan,

That is so cool!

Best regards,

quote:

They've been partners for 1 year and a half--his girlfriend plays in the new campaign along with him and our parents, while the players for the older one are my parents and my brother.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2020 :  03:30:52  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a high school teacher who runs a D&D club after school periodically. This is both fantastic because of the enthusiasm and terrible, because even if it is going well, I lose them after 4 years regardless.

I’ve had some very memorable campaigns and despite being a math teacher I like to take my kids to lands that aren’t inspired by European myth wholly like Maztica, the Horde and Zakhara. I’ve noticed this piques my students interests in world history and mythology and have been thanked by History teachers numerous times at my place of employment. Some (not all) of these kids now want to know everything there is to know about Aztec culture or Mongol or Arabian (or as we speak, Eskimo), simply because they’ve had some exposure.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 13 Mar 2020 03:32:01
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2020 :  03:53:20  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe Seethyr,

That is amazing that you do that as a teacher. Very cool! I honestly can't imagine how hard that would be to have a kid come in as a freshman, leave as a senior, and just have that person gone.

I hope you keep up that awesome work though! :)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2020 :  14:03:47  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Master Barastir,

Best regards,

Actually, two of them are playing from the beginning: the bladesinger and the Tempus' priestess. The knight joined the party 15 years ago, and the Corellon crusader girl is a new addition, from about 5 years. And although 22 years of RW time have elapsed, in-game they have lived only about 2 years.

EDIT: I also have another campaign begun last year, but I didn't mention it earlier because it is not set in the Realms, but in the DragonLance setting.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 13 Mar 2020 16:09:24
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2020 :  16:54:06  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My wife and I have been running the same game since 2013. Our core group was her half elf druid, I played the rogue (hobgoblin), fighter (human) and elf wizard.

We met in Silverymoon, and ran the Pathfinder beginner box first. Most of our story revolved around her druid class, and how she was NOT putting wild nature first. After several egregious decisions Silvanus stripped her of her druid abilities.

She was taken in by Tolgar in Goldenfields, and converted to a cleric of Chauntea.

We then ran "Uncles Keep" as a distant relation of the fighter. We conquered it and it is now "Hawklight Keep" and the fighter is a minor lord of Silverymoon situated in the Silverwood.

Long story lines now about the search for the tel'kirra related to the family of the sun elf (who is now an Olin Gisir).

We have allied with the dwarves of Mithral Keep to work an abandoned gem mine attached to "uncles keep".

Now we have been asked by Silverymoon to construct a stop over place for barge traffic along the Rauvin river downstream of Silverymoon.

So we are heavily engaged with the dwarves in building docks, a guard tower, etc near our keep.

In return for the dwarves help and payment in gems, King Brunenor has asked us to investigate various old dwarf holds around the area.

Currently we are now in the High Forest at the behest of Alustriel, to seal off the ruins of Hellgate Keep, and retrieve the Staff of Silverymoon. Beneath it I also inserted my Crypt of the Black Hand.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2020 :  19:23:27  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a 46 year old D&D geek, so I've played and DM'd dozens of modules and campaigns and adventures.

Hellgate Keep dungeon crawl.
Tomb of Horrors
Temple of Elemental Evil 2ED and 3.5ED
The Ruins of Undermountain.
For Duty and Deity. (one of my personal faves.)
Horror on the Hill
The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan
The Ghost Tower of Inverness
*The Werewolf Glade of Timbermoon.* (homebrew)
The Endless Stair
Vault of the Drow
Temple of the Frog
City of The Spider Queen
The Shadow trilogy adventure 3.5
Into The Dragons Lair
Attack on Myth Drannor
Queen of the Demonweb Pits
The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth
The Dancing Hut of Baba Yaga
Labyrinth of Madness
The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh (what a cool module)
The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun
Vecna Lives!
The Isle of Dread
Castle Amber (Amazing module)
Saga of the Shadow Lord
Night Below (impossibly epic module)

These are just a few off the top of my memory. The Night Below and City of The Spider Queen were the most challenging, and difficult as a player character for me.
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2020 :  22:14:33  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My longest FR campaign was 3 years as a player during my undergraduate years. You all have me beat resoundingly.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2020 :  23:11:38  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Barastir,

That is amazing that you you have two players from that long ago! Wouldn't it have been epic to have video of that entire time?!

Does anyone else here have video collections of their campaigns spanning a long time?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:

Master Barastir,

Best regards,

Actually, two of them are playing from the beginning: the bladesinger and the Tempus' priestess. The knight joined the party 15 years ago, and the Corellon crusader girl is a new addition, from about 5 years. And although 22 years of RW time have elapsed, in-game they have lived only about 2 years.

EDIT: I also have another campaign begun last year, but I didn't mention it earlier because it is not set in the Realms, but in the DragonLance setting.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2020 :  23:14:06  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe Cards77,

The best part of that entire post of yours, when truncated....

"We met in Silverymoon,..."

That is so cool to read, thinking, you met there. haha

The conversion story is cool too. I like that. You have to tell us how that went down. That sounds amazing!

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2020 :  23:17:41  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe Copper Elven Vampire,

That is a heck of a list of modules, campaigns and adventures!

Of those, what was your favorite?

You are the only other person I've chatted with or known that played the old U1 module! So frickin' cool. The alchemists mansion, how creepy it was, and all that. I loved part two the most of course, even though the first part was awesome.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2020 :  23:23:47  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Senior Scribe Copper Elven Vampire,

That is a heck of a list of modules, campaigns and adventures!

Of those, what was your favorite?

You are the only other person I've chatted with or known that played the old U1 module! So frickin' cool. The alchemists mansion, how creepy it was, and all that. I loved part two the most of course, even though the first part was awesome.

Best regards,

I still hate Ned Shakeshaft with a passion.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2020 :  23:25:05  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Delnyn,

Heck, I only have a year or so up, that isn't all that amazing.

I am blown away by the longevity of campaigns here though! Very cool!

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2020 :  02:39:19  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Senior Scribe Cards77,

The best part of that entire post of yours, when truncated....

"We met in Silverymoon,..."

That is so cool to read, thinking, you met there. haha

The conversion story is cool too. I like that. You have to tell us how that went down. That sounds amazing!

Best regards,

I spun off this campaign from my former campaign with my friends in college from about 2003.

In that campaign we also ran "uncles keep" but our DM had it in the Kryptgarden Forest.

My rogue (Kenrick the Younger) in that campaign, upon conquering "uncles keep" the Lostafinga tribe that dwelt within, adopted the runt, slave hobgoblin named "Grinkle".

Upon taking him in, Grinkle was taught to read and write, scout craft, wood craft, and some ranger lore by Kenrick.

I then reprised the role of Grinkle in 2013 and created him for my new campaign (he's the hobgoblin rogue).

Farl was also from the old campaign. He was a mercenary captain employed by Kenrick. Farl is a drunk who likes to fight. He beat someone to death in the keep by accident, and fled the charges.

Grinkle was sent to track him down, but after tracking him for some weeks, became Farl's traveling companion. Grinkle was not satisfied with life at the keep (too many humans who all feared/hated him).

They left for Silverymoon together, where they met my wife's druid.

The druid basically did a bunch of undruid like things. Including using a heinous and evil necromantic artifact by jamming a green dragons severed head into it, and using its power to command the dragon to reveal the location of it's hoard.

Needless to say Silvanus was not happy.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2443 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2020 :  15:02:19  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I already shared with you my Neverwinter campaign diary in another topic. Though, is still disorganized, doesn't has the retcons the campaign underwent during the Paragon tier "chapter", and it lacks that chapter as well. As soon as I end translating it to English, I guess I'll share it here.

As for other campaigns, I have my first Tymanther campaign (never left the heroic tier), and my plans for a second one. And a very long campaign set in the Nentir Vale, that it reached the Epic tier, and somehow influenced my other campaigns.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2020 :  02:31:58  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because I'm in the mood to 'chat'

-the first campaign I ran went from 1999-2014. I decided to explore the region of Chondath. Lots of history there in the sourcebooks; it has a little splat book of its own (one of those 96 page jobbers), and I had just finished that trilogy Scions of Arrabar, and I wanted to explore more of this region that wasn't the Dales, wasn't my favorite Cormyr, and wasn't Waterdeep...since my friend technically owned all those!

So, I ran my first long group adventure, starting in the Golden Capital Arrabar. They worked for a mercantile group (which was started by I and my friend's theif friends from 2nd edition. They started working, earning money, even got to go to a gala in the Generon and meet the Shining Lord Wianar. They ended up meeting a merchant of the Mestel family who they grew to hate and despise and try to ruin ALL the way through the campaign! He wasn't even the bad guy; he tried to get the group to turn over an opponent's cooked books (they didn't), so they earned his scorn, and both kept trying to bring both of them down.

From here, fighting thieves in an alley (who were hired by Mestel, as far as the group was concerned), led to the death of a noble's relative (well, the 5 removed nephew of a black sheep son and blight upon a low House in Arrabar), but the group decided to take a caravan train all the way to Reth, so adventure's abounded!

I wanted to use the City vs Nature landscape of the region. I pitted small town Chondath versus Big City ports. I ratcheted up the resentment between Reth and Arrabar, as well as Hlath being irritated at being 'left behind' in the excesses of those 2 cities. I had the 3 smaller ports, Iljak, Shamph, and Samra start their own Tri-covenant of Cities, demanding a larger voice from Arrabar and Reth. Then...the group met a stranger on a dark stormy night in the Akanapeaks. Being attacked by stone giants, the group went to this lone human's aid, and fighting alongside him, slew the giants, and they all found refuge in a cave while a wild lightning storm rolled down off the mountains. The stranger even offered healing services to the group. It wasn't until the morn when they seperated that they found out it was a Cleric of Bane. (they split before spells were relearned, and with some of the power the cleric showed the night before, they were a bit worried about destroyed). The cleric bid them well, meant them no further harm, and parted as wary equals.

This cleric turned into the big bad of the campaign. My mumbo jumbo macguffin of the campaign, as it was revealed after several years, was that a Fist of Bane, that blew off the avatar that fought Helm in Tantras, was found and brought to Chondath by this High Priest Z'xael'zael Brendis. In was in the hope of using an old portal from Jhaamdath's days to create a connection where instead of an avatar of Bane appearing, Bane himself, in the full, would enter the Realms again (whether this violates some canon, or you say this already can happen, I say to you-not in the way I was DMing! ;) )

So, my group of PCs traveled everywhere, trying to prevent Brendis' spread, and unite cities. A small town they had stumbled through early on was a ghost mining town in some low hills area-until that big stormy night caused an earthslide to reveal so many new veins of ore-they were back in business! This small town grew into a proper city, with my PCs as their adventuring leaders. From this region, through teleports and Word of Recall, they adventured around Chondath, currying favors, twisting arms, and buying their way to allies.

I created a group of Sorcerors here called the Sardonites-who had access to a spellpool, as I wanted to use that from Magic of Faerun. I had a Hin from the ghostwise halfings of the woods, traveling because of his debt to our leader. The cleric was of Waukeen, which was fun for not having a Lathandarian, a Tymoran, a Tyrian or Tormite or Selunite. An arcane archer from some elves of the Chondalwood. I had a blast with this campaign. The Banites steadily moved through the region, destroying much of Reth, but not staying long before coming down to occupy Hlath and spread their way through. Encouraging the rear Reth Redoubters, and finally bringing Arrabar and the Tri-Covenant to the battle, a huge battle was seen once again in the heart of Chondath, not seen since the Rotting War. But the PCs had their triumphant fight near a ziggurat deep in the Chondalwoods.

I built a 4' by 5' battle playground; a 5 story ziggurat with 6 towers surrounding it, and also the ziggurat would come apart to show 'battle damage' that was hidden by the main structure for when the Fist was destroyed and the fight continued. Even with being defeated, the High Priest Brendis still felt he won; Reth was destroyed, Arrabar would greedily swallow up what it could of its holdings; Hlath would further be incensed because it still took longer to move the Baneites from their walls. Instead of merging together in a triumphant nation, Chondath would degenerate into survivors fighting for the biggest pieces and meagerest of scraps. Feuds would be greatly renewed, and new animosities would grow. OH, the priest felt triumphant-until a Bane avatar came to drag him to his domain for failure.

I did a thing like from KOTOR; the group kept meeting new NPCs...and they could decide which ones they wanted to travel with them. They could bring more ranged support in a Dwarven crossbowman, more magic support in an apprentice to the sorceror, a spellknife, a rogue, a noble-monk (borrowing from Star Wars there); oh yeah, it was good times! In fact, I three times in all made 'play sets' of collapsing under ground caverns, and a 8 foot long, 6 foot wide castle map to repel invaders before an Ancient Red Dragon alighted on the walls to attack.

Such good times.

Thanks for reading.

And if you found it too self indulgent, well, apologies, but it felt cool to just be typing this out again.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2020 :  16:28:06  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So my first "real" Forgotten Realms game I started was back in 2006-2007ish. I proposed an idea that all of us were sucked into the Realms via a magical book and that we'd play "ourselves" in the setting. At the time, we were using the 3.5 system and we decided to let the others in the group decide our race and class via a vote. One friend had a degree in Theology so naturally we decided he would be a good human Cleric. My wife was almost Valedictorian in College and extremely good at school, she's also very nature-y and sort of a hippie so it was decided she was a Sun Elf Wizard. While I stylized myself as a Paladin, the group didn't think I was Zealous enough (or pious), so I was decreed a human Knight (PHB2 book). Others in the group were a half-elf Rogue, a human warlock, and two Dwarves - one a Barbarian and the other a Fighter. Stats were also done by voting but we kept it to a 30-point buy for each of us so there was nothing too OP.

With the group set, the campaign starts with our cleric friend bringing a book he found at a pawn shop to our D&D campaign for flavor reasons. After reciting some passages to influence role-play the book basically came alive, created a vortex and pulled us all in. We came to find ourselves outside the town of Beregost (like in Baldur's Gate game) and after discovering that none of us spoke Common, Chondathan, or any other regional languages we had a difficult time finding a mage who could translate what was going on. Becoming acclimated to the new world, our different "selves", and the violence of real monsters - we eventually set out to Waterdeep to find our way home with the helpful magic of Khelban Blackstaff. Getting a meeting with him took a LONG time, of which we spent adventuring and learning how to handle ourselves. Before long we had helped multiple people and towns along the Sword Coast, including saving Beregost from a near Zhentarim invasion. Before long we hit 8th level before 4th Edition came out.

With 4E catching our fancy more than 3.5 did, we all converted to that system. The time-jump proved a tad difficult but the story went on. With the help of the Blackstaff, we found an alternate way home through a Portal Mirror, a dimension spanning device tuned to Earth. As we jumped in, the Spellplague hit and messed up the magic with the portal. Khelban used a Stasis spell to suspect the object and it's magic, rendering us basically inert for the next century. 104 years later the portal opened due to some students in Blackstaff tower messing with the Mirror and out spilled the five of us. We quickly found out what happened and that the mirror was broken, negating our way home. So we decided to stay and make a permanent life for ourselves. We're now currently 17th level and about the take on the Shades for control of the Crown of Thorns that's housing Myrkul's essence (and how he'll eventually escape back to Faerûn).

We've done a few other campaigns in the Realms too, including the Super-Adventure Cormyr: Tearing of the Weave, Shadowdale: Scouring of the Land, and Anauroch: the Empire of Shade. These adventures were a lot of fun, and our group made it from 1st level all the way to 16th by the time they hit near the end. I think we still have to finish the final encounters with Hadrune and face off against the Shade at the Shadow Shore to retrieve or Destroy the Nether Scroll.

The other big one you can read on the Adventuring in the Realms thread: Shadow War Campaign: Scepter Tower of Spellgard in which the campaign starts with the Escape from Sembia (premade 4E adventure) and then the PCs follow the path of Shade's manipulations to the North in the town of Loudwater then on to the Scepter Tower of Spellgard. All of the adventures going on are using pre-made modules but the group seems to really enjoy the campaign. They just hit 8th level.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000