Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 I’d love to hear about full campaigns you were in.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
keftiu Posted - 10 Mar 2020 : 09:40:29
I’ve been a fan of the Realms for 15 years and been playing tabletop for 12, but I’ve never actually gotten to play in the setting (though I’m poised to finally fix that with a game set in Sembia here soon). I’ve also never been in a lengthy campaign of any sort, with my record being a single-digit number of sessions, and the vast majority of my experience being one-shots.

So I’m making this to hear from you all, some of whom have been playing in the Realms as long as I’ve been alive. I’d love to hear summaries of any length and sort of what stories your table has told. Thanks in advance!
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 24 Mar 2020 : 23:44:49
Currently I'm playing an epic adventure that is basically a re-boot of The Saltmarsh module based near the Star Mounts of The High Forest.

More powerful Black Dragons, a Vampire Lord assassin, Fey'ri Bladesingers, a elven Mummy Lord from Karse, human Werewolves of Malar, Darkmasks of Vhaeraun, Gold elves from Evereska, a Gnoll champion, a brutal Bugbear chieftain ranger that is powerful enough to enslave Ogre-Magi into his service. A Death Knight that pursues the group of adventures with dogged determination
cpthero2 Posted - 24 Mar 2020 : 18:52:09
Master Rupert,

I'm just thinking that there are two things unknown there:

1) S-Mart
2) A Winchester Model 37A Single Barreled Shotgun

It could be a victory after all for the evil dead! :)

Best regards,

Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 Mar 2020 : 17:54:03
Cryx was not involved in the campaign, so we didn't have evil dead to deal with.

And I've seen the movie. The joke only works when firearms are unknown.
cpthero2 Posted - 24 Mar 2020 : 14:40:51
Master Rupert,

The answer would be easy: because of the evil dead! ;)

Best regards,

Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 Mar 2020 : 03:06:14
Because in the Iron Kingdoms, people would just look at you and ask "why are you calling your rifle a boomstick?"

Firearms are common in the Iron Kingdoms. Armies have entire units of people with rifles or pistols. Their steam-powered magic-brained robots often have rifles or grenade launchers on them.

My preferred faction, Cygnar, is known for the heavy use of firearms and lightning.

The joke simply would not have worked.
cpthero2 Posted - 24 Mar 2020 : 01:38:25
Master LordofBones,

That would be the only option...really. How could you not?!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

I hope you got to use "this is my Boomstick!"

LordofBones Posted - 23 Mar 2020 : 06:47:44
I hope you got to use "this is my Boomstick!"
cpthero2 Posted - 23 Mar 2020 : 02:46:10
Master LordofBones,

lol...I thought you were frickin' joking! :) That is a thing! haha

That is simply awesome. :)

Thanks!

Best regards,

Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Mar 2020 : 02:40:21
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

But... Even The Shrinshee... the most powerful elven being on Toril couldn't re-create a spell to equal a Nuclear bomb. That would literally be an epic spell on the terms of Elven High Magic indeed.

You do realize that the Locate City Bomb is a thing, yes?

EDIT: With regard to Wooly's campaign, did you use Paizo's gunslinger?

The Iron Kingdoms Character Guide had the gun mage class written up for 3.0. My DM found one online that someone had modified for Pathfinder.

The gun mage is a sorcerer with an affinity for guns (usually pistols, though in Iron Kingdoms/Warmachine canon there have been gun mages with rifles). The gun mage can cast spells normally, but with rune bullets and a magelock pistol, they can also use their pistols for ray spells, touch spells, and ranged touch spells. (I believe there was also an option to just sacrifice a spell, and have the rune bullet do that spell's level in d6 additional damage -- sacrifice a 3rd level slot, do bullet damage plus 3d6)

Once we got enough levels in, I would generally use improved invisibility and fly for battles -- I'd channel a spell through the gun, fly to another spot, and do it again the next round. I did use regular spells, when necessary, but any time I could channel one through either magelock pistol, that was my choice.

That campaign was my first time gaming since 2E was still going strong... And when I went into it, I only knew one of the players, and that was from work. I felt a bit awkward, walking into that first gaming session -- it's not always obvious, but I'm an introvert, and being around new people is something I try to avoid. But within a few minutes, I felt like I was back in a familiar and comfortable place.

The guy who invited me in was hosting the games at his place, and he's since died. I miss that group -- we've not been able to get another place to gather. He was the only one who had both the space and the option to share it.
Delnyn Posted - 23 Mar 2020 : 02:12:17
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

One of the other guys in that same Pathfinder/Iron Kingdoms campaign was a hunter-type, related to Victor Pendrake. He pulled a couple of Brave Sir Robin maneuvers, when we were still low-level, which at least once resulted in my character going to negative hit points.

The hunter guy was built around using this big rifle-thing, and he kicked some serious butt, with it, once we got a few levels in. There was one encounter when he was shooting at a fleeing enemy. The baddie was at the furthest possible range where a shot was still technically possible, but it was a ridiculous penalty to try to hit -- like -16 or something like that.

And the dude rolls a natural 20. He managed to head-shot a guy he couldn't even see, at that point!

That earlier encounter where my character went negative because the other guy went Brave Sir Robin also led to one of my favorite moments of using a Monty Python quote... We'd seen some pegasi, earlier in the session. Then we nearly got killed by a triceratops, later on. Hunter wants to take the "triple rhino" head back to our town for a trophy, but we're not headed that way, immediately. So it's suggested that we leave the carcass there and come back for it.

He's still concerned about someone taking the body away... One of the other players asks who is going to take it?

Hunter: "Well, maybe those flying horses would try to take it..."

Warcaster: "How's a flying horse going to carry off something this big?"

Me: "He could grip it by the husk!"

"In order to maintain air speed velocity, a flying horse has to flap its wings 42 times a minute."
LordofBones Posted - 23 Mar 2020 : 01:44:26
quote:

But... Even The Shrinshee... the most powerful elven being on Toril couldn't re-create a spell to equal a Nuclear bomb. That would literally be an epic spell on the terms of Elven High Magic indeed.

You do realize that the Locate City Bomb is a thing, yes?

EDIT: With regard to Wooly's campaign, did you use Paizo's gunslinger?
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 22 Mar 2020 : 17:52:39
Currently I'm playing an epic adventure that is basically a re-boot of The Saltmarsh module based near the Star Mounts of The High Forest.

More powerful Black Dragons, a Vampire Lord assassin, Fey'ri Bladesingers, a elven Mummy Lord from Karse, human Werewolves of Malar, Darkmasks of Vhaeraun, Gold elves from Evereska, a Gnoll champion, a brutal Bugbear chieftain ranger that is powerful enough to enslave Ogre-Magi into his service. A Death Knight that pursues the group of adventures with dogged determination.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Mar 2020 : 16:17:51
One of the other guys in that same Pathfinder/Iron Kingdoms campaign was a hunter-type, related to Victor Pendrake. He pulled a couple of Brave Sir Robin maneuvers, when we were still low-level, which at least once resulted in my character going to negative hit points.

The hunter guy was built around using this big rifle-thing, and he kicked some serious butt, with it, once we got a few levels in. There was one encounter when he was shooting at a fleeing enemy. The baddie was at the furthest possible range where a shot was still technically possible, but it was a ridiculous penalty to try to hit -- like -16 or something like that.

And the dude rolls a natural 20. He managed to head-shot a guy he couldn't even see, at that point!

That earlier encounter where my character went negative because the other guy went Brave Sir Robin also led to one of my favorite moments of using a Monty Python quote... We'd seen some pegasi, earlier in the session. Then we nearly got killed by a triceratops, later on. Hunter wants to take the "triple rhino" head back to our town for a trophy, but we're not headed that way, immediately. So it's suggested that we leave the carcass there and come back for it.

He's still concerned about someone taking the body away... One of the other players asks who is going to take it?

Hunter: "Well, maybe those flying horses would try to take it..."

Warcaster: "How's a flying horse going to carry off something this big?"

Me: "He could grip it by the husk!"
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 21 Mar 2020 : 20:32:18
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Fact is this... You have bullets, and only bullets.

I have a roster of spells that kill, heal and hamper you, and everyone around me.

Is your bazooka better than my fireball?

Is your drone strike worse than my Meteorswarm spell?

Will your 50 Calibre machine gun decimate my town as bad as my Sonic-Storm spell will??

Not unlike the Sundering. Yet lesser. A volatile High Magic spell created the current High Moor. Once a very, very powerful Kingdom of elven mages, druids, clerics, fighters, bladesingers and more. The High Moor was central to the ancient elven realm of Illefarn.

Ancient Miyeritar was that fabled realm. Wild elves and Drow elves were once friends in this city. Moon and gold elves fought amongst themselves, while Copper elves remained neutral.

And if you're in a dead magic zone, then you've got nothing, and someone with a pistol is going to ruin your day. Also, I can carry a lot more bullets than you can carry spells. You may lay waste to the countryside, but you're going to run out of spells at some point.

Magic is great, and all, but it's not the best answer in every situation.

Also, your response was entirely irrelevant to the discussion. You weren't in the campaign in question, and from what you've said, I don't think your campaigns resemble anything anyone else here is doing.

HuH? and what? I was commenting on your Gunslinger PC. I could only imagine a Gnome gunslinger at this point in FR history and timeline. My bad.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Mar 2020 : 19:48:42
quote:

I have a roster of spells that kill, heal and hamper you, and everyone around me.

Will your 50 Calibre machine gun decimate my town as bad as my Sonic-Storm spell will??

Not unlike the Sundering. Yet lesser. A volatile High Magic spell created the current High Moor. Once a very, very powerful Kingdom of elven mages, druids, clerics, fighters, bladesingers and more. The High Moor was central to the ancient elven realm of Illefarn.

Ancient Miyeritar was that fabled realm. Wild elves and Drow elves were once friends in this city. Moon and gold elves fought amongst themselves, while Copper elves remained neutral.

And if you're in a dead magic zone, then you've got nothing, and someone with a pistol is going to ruin your day. Also, I can carry a lot more bullets than you can carry spells. You may lay waste to the countryside, but you're going to run out of spells at some point.

Magic is great, and all, but it's not the best answer in every situation.

Also, your response was entirely irrelevant to the discussion. You weren't in the campaign in question, and from what you've said, I don't think your campaigns resemble anything anyone else here is doing.
cpthero2 Posted - 21 Mar 2020 : 19:19:11
Master Rupert,

Thanks for the breakdown!

I think it would be awesome, if like rays, they turned firearms into magical devices that had an aiming component, but used magic. I could see the gems and other elements added in to increase accuracy, power, scopes from Gondans, etc.

I may have to consider this.

Best regards,

Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 21 Mar 2020 : 19:06:55

Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Mar 2020 : 19:03:02
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master Rupert,

How did you feel using firearms in the campaign. I've always not used it, and I've heard mixed reviews.

Best regards,

Well, I'm a Warmachine player and a huge fan of Cygnar -- so as soon as I was invited to play, my reaction was "I wanna be a gun mage!"

I think the use of firearms in an RPG depends entirely on the setting. In the Realms, I'd have them very, very limited, if they were available at all.

In the Iron Kingdoms, however, firearms are common enough that having people channel spells through their firearms is a thing. It's a part of the setting, and even if I'd not been playing a character that was focused on firearm use, I likely still would have had a character that had a firearm. It likely wouldn't have been his focus, but I'd still have one to fire off a shot or two before getting into melee.

Since my character was all about the firearms, though, I built him to be as effective as he could be with them. He had Gunner (faster reloads), Point-Blank Shot (more accurate up close), Precise Shot (fire into melee without penalty), Weapon Focus (on the pistol, of course), and Far Shot (more accurate at longer ranges).

As class abilities, he could channel rays through the gun itself -- which I did, because it gave better odds to hit -- and use magic ammo to deliver touched attacks and ranged touch attacks -- which means he could shoot someone with vampiric touch!

Also, as soon as he was able to, he got a beneficial bandolier.

tl;dr version: Firearms are built into the Iron Kingdoms setting, I built my character around firearms, and had a blast playing him.
cpthero2 Posted - 21 Mar 2020 : 18:38:55
Senior Scribe Copper Elven Vampire,

Agreed. Though, I just removed it to avoid that issue. For the same reason in the portals discussion I am having with the discussion being bad guys and other issues would make it bad for the inventors, I don't think they would do it as a cabal of pirates or someone else would bring the ultimate weapon to a magic fight: the big ole gun. :)

Best regards,

Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 21 Mar 2020 : 18:32:29
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master Rupert,

How did you feel using firearms in the campaign. I've always not used it, and I've heard mixed reviews.

Best regards,

I always wondered that too. In Faerun, only the gnomes really understand the power of their tech in gun powder. And I bet you Baravar's Cloak that no Gnome would ever give up that secret under threat. What's faster? Your bullet or my Lightning bolt? I guess it comes down to Initiative rolls.
cpthero2 Posted - 21 Mar 2020 : 18:12:20
Master Rupert,

Best regards,

Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Mar 2020 : 17:44:51
The one full campaign I was able to play in was when I played my gun mage. It was a Pathfinder game, using the kingdom-building rules from that one adventure arc whose name escapes me, but set in a version of the Iron Kingdoms. It was more adapting the setting to PF than going with the existing 3.x rules from the original Iron Kingdoms RPG -- so while warcaster armor and firearms were a thing, firearms weren't as developed (we used the PF rules instead of the IK ones), there was less focus on mechanika instead of magic, and the IK RPG rules on healing and such were ignored.

We were sent by Cygnar to start a colony on a large island to the west of Immoren. We set up a town and did a lot of exploring, finding some allies and a lot of resources, finding a group of Cyrissists that wanted to be left along, and finding some rather unfriendly descendants of the Orgoth. (They were nasty, but not as nasty as the true Orgoth were)

(We also found a swamp inhabited by velociraptors; after our first encounter there, when we were badly mauled by them, one of the guys said "Those raptors caught us with our pants down!" After that, it was forever referred to as "Raptor Rape Swamp")

Then we inadvertently wound up jumping ahead in time, because of a time-warping baddie we fought. The GM never said how far, but from hints dropped here and there, it seemed to be at least 120 years. Our colony had grown into a nation within about 20 years, but was then overrun and taken over by the Orgoth descendants.

We holed up in the then-fallen Cyrissist outpost, where we found some histories of what happened in the time after our disappearance. From there, we freed a few of the smaller communities before leading an assault on our former colony, which had become the capital of the nation. We got in and fought the BBEG -- an evil bard that had formerly been one of our trusted representatives, and who was backed up by the Deathjack. That was the end of the campaign -- the GM moved after that, and wound up playing in other campaigns remotely.

One thing that I'd worked out with the DM beforehand was that my character was part of the Cygnaran Reconnaissance Service. Officially, he'd served for a time in the Cygnaran army and left, because he wanted more wine, women, and song than he could get in the army -- but that was just cover; it gave him the freedom to pursue CRS objectives in places an army guy wouldn't be able to go. It wasn't something that came up in game play often, though -- the other players didn't know about it until I told them, afterward. Among other things, it cleared up -- for them -- where my character's first magelock pistol (Lady Jerilyn) had come from, and also why my usually laid-back character was willing to gun down a surrendered Orgoth soldier.

My only real disappointment with that one was that I would have preferred to return to our own time and used our knowledge to defeat the Orgoth and prevent the fall of our country, instead of staying in the future to liberate it. But everyone else was intent on running with the "we're here now, so let's fix it" approach; so I don't know if returning was even an option.
cpthero2 Posted - 21 Mar 2020 : 15:37:04
Senior Scribe Copper Elven Vampire,

Same here: 3.5/PF1 all the way! :)

Best regards,

Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 21 Mar 2020 : 15:26:23
quote:
Originally posted by Renin

quote:

My very first game ever was ancient Advanced Dungeons and Dragons 1ED hardcover glory. About 1987. I was jamming Slayer "Reign in Blood" as we played in my basement in Cincinnati, drinking beers and smoking.

It was Tomb of Horrors Module 1ED. My very first PC was Curudin Ahmaquissar. Moon elf male of Evermeet. As a young character he started out as a Thief (Rogue in 3.5). Then multiclassed in Cleric of Erevan Ilesere when I stumbled onto the elven god. In 2ED he became a Mischiefmaker (Specialty Priest in 2ED).

I went through TOH as a thief/ cleric of Erevan Ilesere. Started out at 1st level and ended the module as a 12th level PC.

The experience points from the module alone with all the traps leveled me up incredibly.

The party was followed up by a Gnome illusionist, a Dwarf fighter and a Halfling monk.

Those were the days!!

Based on your post above this... Drinking at 14? where were your parents?! Lol :D

Yes, at 14. My parents didn't care as long as I stayed inside the house with my friends in the basement or garage. It was '87 after all. Lots of old school hardcore punk rock, death metal and speed metal.

I have not met many friends and players that play human PCs. I always find the demi-human type of players. A natural gift I guess you can surmise. I have always played much better after several adult drinks among other things. It's easier to lose yourself for a hot minute and be another personality for equal time. lol.

I always liked playing CN elves of any sub-race that were always a jerk to the entire party. I would always play to better our team, but my pranks, jokes and trickery were and are legendary. lol. In 3.5 we started using the Complete Scoundrel accessory book. WOW, what a difference that made for all rogue-type PC's and NPC's.

Between the new Skill Trick system and Skill-Feats, damn!! A X=HD monster that you had a hard time killing before was now much easier to slay if you knew how to, and when to use your skill-tricks and skill feats. I always had a rough time with lawful characters. If I couldn't publicly disgrace them, then I would swindle, steal, cheat, charm, deceive, trick, prank and use them in some form or fashion.

I would always try to take leadership of the party I was in. Playing with friends or strangers, I always played the same type. Now mind you, I was always a beneficial PC in the party. I was just always a jerk of a elf. CN, so I was out for myself and my friends and loved ones. Yes I would help the elven people in general before I would help any other race I may encounter, but in the end I was in the adventure for my own needs. I would make friends along the way indeed, but I made far more enemies. Especially among the LG and LE communities. lol.
Renin Posted - 21 Mar 2020 : 03:52:13
quote:
Originally posted by Cards
We did the same thing! I was 15 in 1995. We played D&D all night with Master of Puppets, Kill Em All, and ..and Justice for All on repeat in my CD changer.

We would play all night in the basement (smokin doobies and drinking). and then fall asleep during the wee hours.

So i've been brainwashed by those albums, now every time I play D&D i have to have them going.

Steve?! Is that you?!

Lol !

Just kidding; I was 16 in 95'also. Metallica was also our music of choice. We'd all stop each time to pretend to air bass to anaesthesia-pulling teeth off Kill'em All each time it came on.

Excepting the drinking and smoking, that's how we spent a good many high school weekends too!
Lord Karsus Posted - 21 Mar 2020 : 02:22:22
-Me and the players who were in the campaign started meeting up just to talk about the Forgotten Realms ("The Forgotten Realms Coffee Club"), but then the GM in our group suggested we started a D&D campaign, so we did. My first Forgotten Realms character was "Crazy" Ali al-Hassan, a Calashite beguiler that fled Calimport after trying to pull a fast one and selling some fake magical goods to a politically powerful person and incurring their wrath. The notes have since been lost at my ex's place, but the party adventured all through Tethyr, where we met all kinds of interesting NPCs (canon and homemade), stopped a war between Humans and Elves being instigated by corrupt woodcutters, and got knighted, and the campaign eventually stopped (conflicts with schedules and it just kind of got forgotten about after a while) when what seemed to be Ravenloft was manifesting.
Gelcur Posted - 21 Mar 2020 : 00:09:45
I ran a campaign for roughly 6 years. It was run very much as a day in the life, and it was heavy Roleplay. We used the 3.5 rules but most of the content was from 2E or earlier. Started at level 1, got to level 6. The party consisted of, an orphan cleric blessed by the Lathander at his birth, a Dwarven fighter trying to fund his family's new mines/home, a wizard trying to find his father's killer, and a sorcerer with a shady unknown past. I had just read Spellfire and I wanted to mimic Ed's story about traveling across a large amount of the Realms and featuring many groups at odds with one another.

We began in Shadowdale on Shieldmeet in 1364 DR, Year of the Wave. A relic of Lathander was stolen as it was being paraded by pilgrims for the holiday, the usual heroes of the region had bigger fish to fry, dragons and smoke far to the south. So volunteers were needed to help with the "smaller" problem. In reality things were interconnected. After rescuing the artifact, the group was tasked with heading to Tilverton and investigating. The Flight of Dragons and the smoke had come from there.

They came to find the attack on Tilverton was staged by wizards with fire and illusions spells, a distraction. They encountered a Cult of the Dragon priest in the sewers who they tracked into Cormyr, through the streets of Arabel, into Eveningstar and the Haunted Halls. The copy of the Tome of the Dragon they found hidden self destructed but left behind a few scraps that pointed them to Skull Crag (my players fondly renamed it Skull Keg), but alas the path through the Storm Horns was snowed in and they decided to take a more southern route through the mountains, the race was on. A stop in Espar to help them dig out from this freak storm was followed by an encounter with some goblins who had been armed with smoke powder by someone, this left the party a bit burnt and they retreated. Only to have to be attacked by an Yrthak as they exited the other side, luckily a pair of traveling Red Wizards saved them, and the party was more than happy to purchase up a bunch of their wares.

Skull Crag was a mystery. No sign of a Lathanderite temple led them to question the locals, here they would buy a suit of full plate that was painted a horrible matte black, come to find out later it was mitral. The local governing noble was away but his wife directed the party to the Lathanderite monk in the burial caves up the mountain. The monk had been captured and a Manticore was left waiting as a look out. The party explored the mausoleum. Their investigation led them to discover the crypt was just the tip of a Dwarven mine. The monk's grandfather a paladin, with the Company of Twelve (a group who destroyed the Liche Samaster), had stopped in Skull Crag with his son. A Dwarven cleric asked for his assistance in cleansing the mines of evil. A planar breach to the negative energy plane kept spewing forth undead as more living creatures came deeper into the mountain, the paladin stayed behind so that the Dwarf cleric could seal that branch of the cave. The paladin's son became the guardian of this place and buried the artifact, an amulet, in the opposite branch of the cave system to keep it safe.

The party solved the Dwarven traps/puzzles and unsealed the caves only to find the ghost of the paladin, trapped fighting undead for decades. A great battle versus Skeletal Trolls and a Boneyard led to the party retreating. Unable to help, they sealed the cave back up to hopefully return some day with enough power to help the poor soul. The Cult of the Dragon having been unable to get passed the Dwarven traps had followed behind the party and found the artifact first using a location spell. A few summoned creatures allowed the Cultist to escape on the back of a small Shadow Dragon.

Having no leads the party decided the governing lord of Skull Crag who was in Waterdeep might be of help, or could help them find help in the large city. Soon they lost nearly all their possessions to a Fang Dragon, they thought the army of Goblins had weakened it enough to take on. Luckily it had gorged itself on Goblin entrails and chose not to eat them. Their wandering took them through the Sunset Mountains, where they found the lost Tome of the Morning. The Cult of the Dragon had followed the party wanting to know why they kept interfering. But a Zhent patrol had other ideas, the two enemies fought one another while the party escaped unseen into a Rope Trick spell. With some luck and stealth they found themselves at the Ladydove Inn and then Drawn Swords. After defeating some Zhents and gaining the trust of a Harper they were teleported back on track to Berdusk. Where arrangements were made for a boat to take them to Baldur's Gate. Along the Chointhar they stumbled on a few adventures and oddities, a giant walking statue, a Wendigo, a Naga, what little remains of the Sunrise Spire (previous home of the Tome of the Morning), and a Gelatinous Cube that attached to the ship when it washed out of an underground Askavar ruin. From this small dungeon they release a gold elf from centuries of captivity who promptly disappeared when they got her to Baldur's Gate.

Some quick intrigue on the fogy streets of the Gate led to, a warehouse of smuggled magical creatures, the wizard attempting to confront his father's killer (Red Serpents Coster member), and a Hydra in a basement. A few smoke powder explosions later the party left Baldur's Gate behind them, flames and smoke rising from a few buildings. The ship to Waterdeep was no a pleasure cruise, many passengers were not what they seemed, and a murderer was on board, and they had to solve who done it before they reached port. The sorcerer came into the possession of a ominous dagger he could not explain or get rid of. Each new suspect the party accused turned up dead the party eventually realized it was a Doppelganger doing the killing, not the party sorcerer.

Waterdeep led the party into a world of bureaucracy, no one they wanted to meet was ever easily gotten to. Research in libraries and tomes yields some information but eventually a lead paid off, indenturing them to the church of Selune and Sune. As quickly as they get their hands on something vital it is literally snatched up by an undead Wyvern, along with the party wizard and a friendly NPC. The Wyvern bursts through the doorway to the Yawning Portal, taking the NPC and the their only lead down into Undermountain.

Undermountain nearly killed the entire party within minutes, attacking a friendly Helmed Horror didn't go well. Luckily the party cleric had the foresight to use the Tome of the Morning to prepare a spell that reversed time by half a minute. They continued deeper, more cautiously... but alas that is as far as the game got. That all took place in 6 months in game time. I had 6 more years of content created but alas that is as far as we ever got. I like to think they are still lost wandering the massive dungeon, to one day reappear.
Diffan Posted - 20 Mar 2020 : 15:38:11
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

I'm going to steal the Busty Wench for my next season in my Neverwinter campaign,

Please do! We placed it next to one of the bridges, I think the Dolphin Bridge if that's still a thing?
Cards77 Posted - 20 Mar 2020 : 14:59:39
quote:
Originally posted by Renin

quote:

My very first game ever was ancient Advanced Dungeons and Dragons 1ED hardcover glory. About 1987. I was jamming Slayer "Reign in Blood" as we played in my basement in Cincinnati, drinking beers and smoking.

It was Tomb of Horrors Module 1ED. My very first PC was Curudin Ahmaquissar. Moon elf male of Evermeet. As a young character he started out as a Thief (Rogue in 3.5). Then multiclassed in Cleric of Erevan Ilesere when I stumbled onto the elven god. In 2ED he became a Mischiefmaker (Specialty Priest in 2ED).

I went through TOH as a thief/ cleric of Erevan Ilesere. Started out at 1st level and ended the module as a 12th level PC.

The experience points from the module alone with all the traps leveled me up incredibly.

The party was followed up by a Gnome illusionist, a Dwarf fighter and a Halfling monk.

Those were the days!!

Based on your post above this... Drinking at 14? where were your parents?! Lol :D

We did the same thing! I was 15 in 1995. We played D&D all night with Master of Puppets, Kill Em All, and ..and Justice for All on repeat in my CD changer.

We would play all night in the basement (smokin doobies and drinking). and then fall asleep during the wee hours.

So i've been brainwashed by those albums, now every time I play D&D i have to have them going.
Renin Posted - 20 Mar 2020 : 01:50:22
quote:

Those were the days!!

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000