Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Go the well or spread the wealth?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2020 :  03:23:16  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met again.

Just out of curiosity, as we all make the Realms are own, do you as DMs continue build, play, and use all your own past history and stay within the same region, or do all your separate campaigns hit a different region?

Have you run 3 different generations of heroes along the Sword Coast?
Did your old group of heroes carve a place out of history in Cormyr, and now the newest group you are running in the Forest Kingdom hope to make a name for themselves?
Or can you not ever stop running each adventuring group in Waterdeep?

Just curious; with the 29 years behind me roleplaying, we've done most of our work in Cormyr; then we had a 'round the Realms' campaign and just moving and searching across the world.

I ran a 12 year campaign entirely set in Chondath
My friend decided the Border Kingdoms can truly be whatever he wants, so we did whatever we wanted there as we crossed so many would be leaders and lands.
Now I'm running a 'Sea of Fallen Stars' campaign, where we travel anywhere there is a port, running afoul of Red Wizards, Fire Knives, Untheric Zealots, Zhentarim, demons and drow around Myth Drannor, Sembian...;D ...lotta fun.

How do you run things? What are you currently 'doing?'

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2020 :  12:37:36  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Same history, same timeline/"universe" but several different regions (the Realms are huge!).

I've run a lot of one- or few-sessions campaigns all around the place (Impiltur, the Great Dale, Rashemen, Moonshae, High Forest, Heartlands, Hartsvale, Calimshan, the Dales, Anauroch the Planes) and had three long running campaigns: one based in the Shining Plains but with the high level PCs ranging and messing around everywhere; one entirely centered on Amn which included trips to Tethyr, the Heartlands, the Waeldath and Maztica; one, recently finished and running for 8 years, with the players moving from the Old Empires to the Lake of Steam to Chessenta and back and forth and profoundly shaping the region(s).

All events are connected so I have a long chronology file and reference events that happened in the other campaigns (wars, plagues, important deaths, rumors) if and when needed (the players, always the same bunch, have so far avoided "meeting themselves").

Edited by - Demzer on 28 Feb 2020 12:39:32
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2020 :  21:04:18  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Renin,

I split up by region so that I can get my players immersed in all of the epic diversity of the Realms. Familiarity can breed contempt after a while, is what I've seen over the years in my campaigns. Not overt contempt, but that loss of fun that they get from exploring. There are so many places to build, that I thought it silly not to jump to another area. Especially since I use a sandbox campaign approach.

I am finishing a real world 3 year campaign in the Shining South, i.e. Durpar/Var the Golden/Estagund. My next campaign is going to the Lost Empires, roughly in the region of Impiltur, the Endless Wastes, Narfell, Thesk, Rasheman, etc.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Renin

Well met again.

Just out of curiosity, as we all make the Realms are own, do you as DMs continue build, play, and use all your own past history and stay within the same region, or do all your separate campaigns hit a different region?

Have you run 3 different generations of heroes along the Sword Coast?
Did your old group of heroes carve a place out of history in Cormyr, and now the newest group you are running in the Forest Kingdom hope to make a name for themselves?
Or can you not ever stop running each adventuring group in Waterdeep?

Just curious; with the 29 years behind me roleplaying, we've done most of our work in Cormyr; then we had a 'round the Realms' campaign and just moving and searching across the world.

I ran a 12 year campaign entirely set in Chondath
My friend decided the Border Kingdoms can truly be whatever he wants, so we did whatever we wanted there as we crossed so many would be leaders and lands.
Now I'm running a 'Sea of Fallen Stars' campaign, where we travel anywhere there is a port, running afoul of Red Wizards, Fire Knives, Untheric Zealots, Zhentarim, demons and drow around Myth Drannor, Sembian...;D ...lotta fun.

How do you run things? What are you currently 'doing?'

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000