Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 A mountain pass castle protecting good guys?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwinters97
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2020 :  19:58:39  Show Profile Send bwinters97 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm trying to create my first D&D campaign. We played Mines of Phandelver for our first campaign, so ideally I'd like to keep it in that world and steal some stuff from it but my knowledge is slim.

I have a demon lord wanting to invade the lands of humans, elves, gnomes, etc. but he must first capture a critical castle protecting a mountain pass so his army horde can come through. The players re-supply this castle and get caught up in a losing battle. Later, I have key plot settings for a gnome village, a volcano island where the demon hides out under, enchanted forest, and an elven enclave, and not sure what else as invasion happens.

Before I make something up, is there a good Forgotten Realms location I could use for the starting location at least? If so, to leverage maps and resources, would I want Sword of the Coast or something else? (We use Fantasy Grounds and a tabletop TV to do our games). Any tips are much appreciated! I could just make up the castle but have no idea where in this world I might place it. (and I'm not a stickler for lore, so whatever that would get me close to my goal)

Thanks!

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2020 :  14:11:28  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thematically, a lot of what you describe is similar in appearance to the Bloodstone lands and Damara in particular. If you aren't a stickler for exact lore dates, this could be a great resource for you. Check out the Forgotten Realms wiki https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Damara
To see what else you can glean. That's my thoughts.
Go to Top of Page

rangerstranger
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2020 :  17:39:15  Show Profile Send rangerstranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This sounds a lot like Dragonspear Castle only that location had a portal to Avernus. The devils were attempting to take control of both sides so that they could gain said foothold in Faerun. Might be worth looking up. See the Hordes of Dragonspear castle supplement.
Go to Top of Page

Dewaint
Learned Scribe

Germany
148 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2020 :  15:29:31  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you might check the "Essential Kit Box".
Is actually re-using Phandalin as a base for the player characters, and provides an almost forgotten castle/stronghold in the mountains. Your PCs would need to clean it up a bit, refurbish it in time before your demon hordes come along.

Edited by - Dewaint on 28 Feb 2020 15:31:40
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2020 :  01:53:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
like Renin said, Bloodstone Pass and Damara/Vaasa most fits what you describe. In the nearby forest of Rawlinswood is Dun-Tharos, former homeland of the Narfellian demonbinders. Dun-Tharos was previously known as Narathmault when dark elves took up residence there and enslaved demons to their bidding and entrapped them. Damara itself is protected from demons by the Gem Tree given to the ruler by Bahamut. So perhaps your demon wants to destroy the tree or somesuch which is IN bloodstone pass, but he has to send in servants to do it because he can't enter himself. Maybe Gareth and company previously found something that's a key to Dun-Tharos, but they don't know what it is, but the demon can't enter the country.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 29 Feb 2020 01:55:13
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2020 :  21:00:36  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte bwinters97,

The city of Ashalon in Khazari at the Jumpa River Gorge would be perfect for this. Here is a URL for it:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Alashan

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by bwinters97

I'm trying to create my first D&D campaign. We played Mines of Phandelver for our first campaign, so ideally I'd like to keep it in that world and steal some stuff from it but my knowledge is slim.

I have a demon lord wanting to invade the lands of humans, elves, gnomes, etc. but he must first capture a critical castle protecting a mountain pass so his army horde can come through. The players re-supply this castle and get caught up in a losing battle. Later, I have key plot settings for a gnome village, a volcano island where the demon hides out under, enchanted forest, and an elven enclave, and not sure what else as invasion happens.

Before I make something up, is there a good Forgotten Realms location I could use for the starting location at least? If so, to leverage maps and resources, would I want Sword of the Coast or something else? (We use Fantasy Grounds and a tabletop TV to do our games). Any tips are much appreciated! I could just make up the castle but have no idea where in this world I might place it. (and I'm not a stickler for lore, so whatever that would get me close to my goal)

Thanks!

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000