Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Pitch the next 5e adventure
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2020 :  05:57:31  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hope I'm not being a nuisance with all these threads!

While we wait to see whatever the 9th's news is, I figured this could be a fun time-waster: what would your vote for the next 5e hardcover Realms campaign be? Remember that the setting also has to carry an Adventurer's League season, and bonus points if you have some sort of mechanical gimmick.

I'd love to keep the snark to a minimum, and actually daydream up some fun concepts here (so we can all be let down in due time!)

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2020 :  21:48:04  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They've already covered a fair amount of ground, dragons, elementals, demons, drow, & the Underdark, vampires & Ravenloft, giants & exploration, Jungles, exploration, & yuan-ti, Waterdeep mystery, city, & dungeon, devils & Hell. They've also started the Moonshaes (on DM's Guild), Border Kingdoms (DM's guild), Eberron and Saltmarsh sorta covered sea adventures (but I'd argue not really). The big three aberrations have sorta been covered as well (aboleths in Saltmarsh, beholders in Waterdeep, and mind flayers in Out of the Abyss). With all of those, they've only really covered Baldur's Gate northward, CHult, and through AL, the Moonsea.

Sooo looking at what's left, we could do more with the Shadowfell and Feywild. We've touched on elementals, but not really genies. We haven't really had a good horde adventure with humanoids and maybe some war rules. Psionics have been worked on, but not completed which would be nice for Eberron and if they go to Dark Sun again. They've hinted at Spelljammer a number of times and there's still plenty of Planescape to cover.

We also haven't explored the other cultures of the Realms, whether Al-Qadim or any of the other pseudo-Arab culture, Hordelands, Kara-Tur, or Maztica. Similarly there's plenty of far-flung corners that offer unique opportunities, like a real sea adventure with Evermeet. They could always do something with Nimbral, Lantan, or the returned Shining South.

That said, the new dice set seems to suggest that it would be in the Sword Coast, but we already have the SCAG, so I don't know.

And with all that, my first choice would be a cool adventure in the Feywild. I think that would be a lot of fun. Some politics, some crazy (in the vein of Susanna Clarke and Neil Gaiman), lots of new fey and maybe plant creatures. It could also involve Evermeet. We could always throw Moander or some Elder Elemental Evils in to give it some extra crazy. One of the best things from 4E (of which I've been fairly critical) in my mind was the development of the Feywild, so I would see this as hitting a lot of areas as yet uncovered and buttons for the larger fan base.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2020 :  22:48:34  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that the fey and the feywild, as a theme, would be cool (it's also really underused, so bonus points for the novelty).

I myself have been running my personal take on the fey for quite a long time, and even though it's far different from the D&D take, more inspiration/input would be welcome.

I might actually take a look into this, rather than instapassing on new WotC stuff like I've been doing for years.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 07 Jan 2020 22:51:19
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2020 :  23:37:56  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The heroes go back in time to rescue Labelas Enoreth from certain doom. In the process, they accidentally reset the timeline to 1375 DR.

:-)

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2020 :  23:50:15  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

The heroes go back in time to rescue Labelas Enoreth from certain doom. In the process, they accidentally reset the timeline to 1375 DR.

I know how unpopular the Spellplague is, but honestly? I would love to see a “sent back in time and nobody knows it’s coming but you” module, as a fan of 4e. Would feel wonderfully grim.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2020 :  03:59:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I suggested something similar not long after the Spellplague was inflicted on us.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Bragi
Seeker

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2020 :  18:56:57  Show Profile  Visit Bragi's Homepage Send Bragi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This is actually the basis for my 4 year campaign that I'm currently running. Following the events during the Time of Troubles in the comic series. The party is trying to rescue Labelas from the demplane he was tossed in to. With the help of Nezram, they're going to reverse the timeline and prevent certain events from occurring. They may also replace the entire Seldarine pantheon with the Yuir pantheon but it's just a little collateral damage.

In Pursuit of Better Worlds,
Bragi of Erin
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2020 :  23:15:30  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will give some props to 4e on the development of the feywild as someone mentions. I didn't delve their shadowfell stuff much, but their feywild stuff was interesting. As I've said, I didn't like the 4e changes, but I do like incorporating them into returning realmslore. For that matter, I like the idea of incorporating more small changes into some of the returning/changed areas of the realms rather than setting them back to what they were exactly.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000