Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Aasimar's and Tieflings: A guide book...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2004 :  07:58:56  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Has anyone bought this book by Green Ronin?

How adaptable is it to the FR?

Edited by - Alaundo on 24 Aug 2004 09:31:44

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2004 :  08:06:02  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to tell you, but strangely this product was not on the Sage's pre-order list. I wonder why?.

It's a carry-on tome from the Book of Fiends though, isn't it Dargoth?.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2004 :  08:37:42  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its one of Green Ronins Races of Renown books

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2004 :  09:02:38  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes I know that, but I think it carries on from certain details presented in the Book of Fiends.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2004 :  09:58:13  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I may check this book out. Are there any reviews floating around at all?

So far, I've absolutely loved Green Ronin's Freeport stuff and I strongly recommend it to anyone looking to run a fun swashbuckling site-based campaign. I worked it into my FR campaign by plopping it down where Immurk's hold is in the Sea of Fallen Stars and blending in FR canon with the Freeport stuff.

However, I know that several of the other source books by Green Ronin have been panned. Seems like they are a bit more hit and miss with some of their other stuff.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2004 :  10:02:12  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a little weary of GRR's Freeport material, mostly because you need to have so many other GRR supplements to make effective use of the setting as a whole. Still, I suppose some of the material could be incorporated into an FR campaign. A "basic" city of Freeport could work as a counter to the underground realm of Skullport.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2004 :  10:22:02  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarta

I may check this book out. Are there any reviews floating around at all?

So far, I've absolutely loved Green Ronin's Freeport stuff and I strongly recommend it to anyone looking to run a fun swashbuckling site-based campaign. I worked it into my FR campaign by plopping it down where Immurk's hold is in the Sea of Fallen Stars and blending in FR canon with the Freeport stuff.

However, I know that several of the other source books by Green Ronin have been panned. Seems like they are a bit more hit and miss with some of their other stuff.

Sarta

Im a little concerned its only 96 pages long

I cant find any links to reviews fot A&T on the Green Ronin site and no ones written a review at Amazon

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2004 :  10:28:41  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmn, there's no reviews on the EN World website either, nor the Gaming Review site.

Maybe this product simply didn't warrant a review .

Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2004 :  10:31:02  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

I'm a little weary of GRR's Freeport material, mostly because you need to have so many other GRR supplements to make effective use of the setting as a whole. Still, I suppose some of the material could be incorporated into an FR campaign. A "basic" city of Freeport could work as a counter to the underground realm of Skullport.

Actually, I just have the Freeport stuff alone and it stands fine by itself. The original series that spawned it (Death in Freeport, Terror in Freeport, and Madness in Freeport) also work just fine as a stand alone series with the following kept in mind: Start the players out as 2nd level and you pretty much need to run the earlier ones for the later ones to make sense. Which is unfortunate due to Death in Freeport being out of print (but still widely available).

Hell in Freeport is the only one that really uses outside material and it contains all that one needs to run it as sidebars, but the cosmology is a bit wonky and makes it difficult to incorporate into the cosmology of the Realms. I have it, but will probably never make use of it.

Dargoth, in terms of reviews it may be too soon for them to come flooding in. I don't really trust the Amazon reviews, but there are some good 3rd party gaming sites that give pretty good unbiased reviews.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2004 :  10:35:18  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh wait, I've found one. It's brief, but at least it's something.

The review is located here.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2004 :  10:40:15  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What Im really looking for is a book with a heap of Tiefling/Aasimar races for other races for example theres mention of Plane Touched Haflings in ROF by no stats are given

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2004 :  10:45:45  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like it merits a brief browsing at the local hobby shop and then perhaps I will purchase it. I'd like to see cambions and alu-fiends get their due again.

Also, if the rules presented for creating one's own templates are decent it may pay off for those variants that you are looking for. Some evil halflings would be nice -- boggins or something like that. I think the feral halflings of Dark Sun were perhaps the main thing I really apreciated about that world setting.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2004 :  10:52:17  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

What Im really looking for is a book with a heap of Tiefling/Aasimar races for other races for example theres mention of Plane Touched Haflings in ROF by no stats are given

Let me have a look through the Sage's PS material. He may have something on that.

Speaking of which, he's just come through the door . . . so off I go .

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2004 :  10:55:14  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::The ghostly image of Paul Revere sudenly bursts out of a wall, riding an equally spectral horse. He shouts "The Sage is coming! The Sage is coming!" before vanishing into a bookcase on the far wall.::

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2004 :  13:19:30  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never did care much for Paul Revere, although I suppose that's because I'm not an American. For heroes of the Revolution, Benjamin Franklin was always a source of inspiration for me.

Anyway, the Sage is now resting his weary mind and body, so unfortunately he won't be returning to Candlekeep until tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2004 :  18:01:07  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Are these the Wisplings that are in Fiend Folio?

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2004 :  20:12:05  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

I never did care much for Paul Revere, although I suppose that's because I'm not an American. For heroes of the Revolution, Benjamin Franklin was always a source of inspiration for me.

Oh, never said I cared for him either. I just liked the image.

What, would you prefer I used Ned Kelly?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2004 :  22:17:16  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd prefer if you used one of those Celestial Messenger's everyone seems to be talking about. I hear they're quite the rage...

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  06:22:08  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will do Shadowlord, and thanks for the reminder .

And Bookwyrm, no I would not prefer Ned Kelly - it's a very sad chapter of this nation's history .

Wisplings are planetouched that are said (in 3e) to be the descendents of halflings and tanar'ri. So, they could very well be what Dargoth is talking about. There's also the Maeluths, who are the offspring of dwarves and baatezu. They're planetouched as well.

Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  06:39:24  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just took a look at the link for this book and I have to say I am very interested. I have a few questions as well.

Are Green Ronin books all for a certain setting or are they similar to the WOtC books covering a few different settings?

How easy is it to convert Green Ronin material to the Forgotten Realms setting? For example if they are using completely different celestials than those found in the FR then it would be really hard to convert but if they were the same then it would be really easy.

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  06:54:36  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wood Elf, for the most part, the GRR accessories are aimed at all campaign settings, much like WotC products. However, most of the monster books, and class books released by GRR also give special attention to the complete campaign settings they also publish - the 'Vistas' settings - like for example, Mindshadows.

Conversion between settings isn't really that difficult, although in most situations and specific campaign settings, it's often better to use the material provided that supports the setting you are playing in. Like your celestials example. If there's stats for celestials in a FR product, it's often better to make use of those instead. It's not a stab against GRR, it's just that their creations are generated to be very broad, so they can be applied to many settings. They're often absent of campaign-specific flavor that makes some creatures unique.

If you want to use aspects of a GRR product that your campaign setting doesn't have, then generally, no conversion is necessary, unless the GRR book specifically states that this GRR product is designed for a GRR released campaign setting.

Now, I'd better stop saying GRR, because it's giving me a headache . . .

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  07:47:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GRR...GRR......Anyone else expecting the Mutant Enemy logo to appear?
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  07:59:07  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry Arivia, the what . . . ?

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  09:10:43  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ROF says there are non human planetouched

Aasimar: Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes and Halflings

Air genasi: Elves??

Earth genasi: Shield Dwarf & Rock Gnomes

Fire Genasi: halflings

Tieflings: Others ut unspecfied

Water Genasi: Sea Elves

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  09:45:40  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of those planetouched have been covered in past issues of Dragon magazine Dargoth. Mainly from the late 2002-to-early 2004 period.

I'll track down a few of the issue numbers. However, I do recall some Air planetouched in DM #307.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  12:57:14  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok thanks

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  13:33:57  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, here's another (although it's from memory as a friend is borrowing the issue) - DM #314. It has some elemental-based races detailed inside, although I can't recall whether they were standard elementals, or quasi-and-para elemental born.

And Dargoth, did you also take into consideration the Wisplings and Maeluths from the FF that I mentioned?.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  13:46:31  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*checks*

Hmm well I guess the Maeluth & Wispling would be the Tiefling equivelant for Dwarves and Halflings

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2004 :  14:00:28  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There's a new review for this product up at GamingReport.com

http://www.gamingreport.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=1006
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2004 :  14:51:50  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

There's a new review for this product up at GamingReport.com

http://www.gamingreport.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=1006

Thanks

I might put off buying it until I see a review for the Planar Handbook, and see if it has any of the stuff I want

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 02 May 2004 14:56:05
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2004 :  02:42:23  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Thanks

I might put off buying it until I see a review for the Planar Handbook, and see if it has any of the stuff I want

You're welcome. If you do end up purchasing this item, let me know what you think of it.

I used to feel Green Ronin was one of the best D20 publishers out there. However, a recent purchase from them combined with some future pubishing notices and delays in product releases has me much more leary about buying anything from them in the future without reading a great number of reviews.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000