Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Aasimar's and Tieflings: A guide book...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dargoth Posted - 26 Apr 2004 : 07:58:56
Has anyone bought this book by Green Ronin?

How adaptable is it to the FR?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SiriusBlack Posted - 18 May 2004 : 15:11:57
quote:
Originally posted by Keravin
Any chance of starting a discussion on this as I'd be very interested to hear how other people did it?

On what? Placing Freeport into the Realms? If so, just create a thread and I'm sure you'll get replies.
Keravin Posted - 18 May 2004 : 13:19:23
quote:
Originally posted by Sarta

I may check this book out. Are there any reviews floating around at all?

So far, I've absolutely loved Green Ronin's Freeport stuff and I strongly recommend it to anyone looking to run a fun swashbuckling site-based campaign. I worked it into my FR campaign by plopping it down where Immurk's hold is in the Sea of Fallen Stars and blending in FR canon with the Freeport stuff.

However, I know that several of the other source books by Green Ronin have been panned. Seems like they are a bit more hit and miss with some of their other stuff.

Sarta

Any chance of starting a discussion on this as I'd be very interested to hear how other people did it?
SiriusBlack Posted - 16 May 2004 : 17:20:35
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
Thanks

I might put off buying it until I see a review for the Planar Handbook, and see if it has any of the stuff I want

"In the Works" for May features the following brief information about the handbook:

quote:

I don't have a lot to offer up about the Planar Handbook just yet. Essentially, this is a player-focused companion to the DM-centric Manual of the Planes, which offers a pile of new material designed to help your characters improve their survival rate when on planar adventures. There's a lot more to it than that, but I'll wait until next month to go into details. To help ease or pique your curiosity, I offer up to you the back cover copy:

Explore Never-Ending Realms of Adventure

Only the most exceptional characters dare tread the infinite paths of the planes. From Sigil, the City of Doors, to the Blinding Tower at the heart of the Plane of Shadow, to the Elemental Plane of Fire's storied City of Brass, countless perilous locations in the multiverse await bold heroes armed with remarkable talents and abilities, more than a little courage, and above all, knowledge.

This supplement for the D&D game provides everything you need to create and play characters prepared for the odyssey of planar travel, including new planar races, feats, equipment, spells, and magic items. The Planar Handbook also introduces the power of planar touchstones, along with details and advice for visiting dozens of planar sites.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040516a
SiriusBlack Posted - 15 May 2004 : 23:12:32
Psion from ENWorld has a new review up for this book:

http://www.enworld.org/reviews/index.php?sub=yes&where=active&reviewer=Psion&product=ATAGtoP
Dargoth Posted - 09 May 2004 : 08:18:09
I meant doing a Races of the Planes WOnt be overkill as WOTC havent really done a 3ed Races book. Overkill is what there doing with Races of Stone,Destiny and wild

Theres already alot of material on those races
The Sage Posted - 09 May 2004 : 07:58:31
quote:
well thats a pity its one of the few areas where they havent ventured into Overkill. Needless to say I will no be buying any of the Races of X books

I actually prefer the non-overkill aspect. In my eyes, the planar races are more unique than the standard races, and should remain so. They are not an everyday occurence (depending upon the amount of planar contact your particular campaign world has), and so their racial traits should also be something not encountered at regular intervals.

That was another good facet of the PS setting. Once racial traits were detailed, that was the end of it. It really made the outsider races we encountered, kind of special.
Dargoth Posted - 09 May 2004 : 07:46:21
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I rather doubt we'll see a tome such as that. Most of the planar races have already been covered many times, in many different sourcebooks. Unlike the D&D standard races - which up until Races of Stone did not have a specific racial book - planar races are still considered a optional choice in many campaign settings and not part of the regular cast of races to choose from.

Also, it appears that the 3e 'Race' books are a throwback to the 2e days of 'Race Handbooks', much like the 'Complete' books being published now...very reminiscent of the older 2e 'Class Handbooks'.

well thats a pity its one of the few areas where they havent ventured into Overkill. Needless to say I will no be buying any of the Races of X books
The Sage Posted - 09 May 2004 : 07:36:08
Indeed. I was merely remarking how WotC seems to be following the same earlier trends of TSR.
Arivia Posted - 09 May 2004 : 07:02:38
quote:
Also, it appears that the 3e 'Race' books are a throwback to the 2e days of 'Race Handbooks', much like the 'Complete' books being published now...very reminiscent of the older 2e 'Class Handbooks'.

Minus every single piece of fluff they could extract, of course...
The Sage Posted - 09 May 2004 : 06:40:27
I rather doubt we'll see a tome such as that. Most of the planar races have already been covered many times, in many different sourcebooks. Unlike the D&D standard races - which up until Races of Stone did not have a specific racial book - planar races are still considered a optional choice in many campaign settings and not part of the regular cast of races to choose from.

Dargoth Posted - 09 May 2004 : 02:02:24
quote:

quote:
Thanks

I might put off buying it until I see a review for the Planar Handbook, and see if it has any of the stuff I want

I suggest you wait a little longer, and purchse Monte's Beyond Countless Doorways. It's seen as the more superior version of planar tome, and a likely successor to the Planescape setting.

I don't think I'll be bothering with the Planar Handbook since it is said to contain in part, revised material from the MotP as well as some new source material.

Well where getting Races of he Wild, Races of Stone and Now Races of Destiny, I imagine there will be a Races of the Planes at some point maybe that will have planetouched for Demihumans
The Sage Posted - 08 May 2004 : 03:05:17
quote:
Thanks

I suggest you wait a little longer, and purchse Monte's Beyond Countless Doorways. It's seen as the more superior version of planar tome, and a likely successor to the Planescape setting.

I don't think I'll be bothering with the Planar Handbook since it is said to contain in part, revised material from the MotP as well as some new source material.
SiriusBlack Posted - 03 May 2004 : 02:42:23
quote:
Thanks

You're welcome. If you do end up purchasing this item, let me know what you think of it.

I used to feel Green Ronin was one of the best D20 publishers out there. However, a recent purchase from them combined with some future pubishing notices and delays in product releases has me much more leary about buying anything from them in the future without reading a great number of reviews.
Dargoth Posted - 02 May 2004 : 14:51:50
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

There's a new review for this product up at GamingReport.com

http://www.gamingreport.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=1006

Thanks

SiriusBlack Posted - 02 May 2004 : 14:00:28
quote:

There's a new review for this product up at GamingReport.com

http://www.gamingreport.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=1006
Dargoth Posted - 27 Apr 2004 : 13:46:31
*checks*

Hmm well I guess the Maeluth & Wispling would be the Tiefling equivelant for Dwarves and Halflings
Lady Kazandra Posted - 27 Apr 2004 : 13:33:57
Okay, here's another (although it's from memory as a friend is borrowing the issue) - DM #314. It has some elemental-based races detailed inside, although I can't recall whether they were standard elementals, or quasi-and-para elemental born.

And Dargoth, did you also take into consideration the Wisplings and Maeluths from the FF that I mentioned?.
Dargoth Posted - 27 Apr 2004 : 12:57:14
ok thanks
Lady Kazandra Posted - 27 Apr 2004 : 09:45:40
Some of those planetouched have been covered in past issues of Dragon magazine Dargoth. Mainly from the late 2002-to-early 2004 period.

I'll track down a few of the issue numbers. However, I do recall some Air planetouched in DM #307.
Dargoth Posted - 27 Apr 2004 : 09:10:43
ROF says there are non human planetouched

Aasimar: Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes and Halflings

Air genasi: Elves??

Earth genasi: Shield Dwarf & Rock Gnomes

Fire Genasi: halflings

Tieflings: Others ut unspecfied

Water Genasi: Sea Elves
Lady Kazandra Posted - 27 Apr 2004 : 07:59:07
I'm sorry Arivia, the what . . . ?
Arivia Posted - 27 Apr 2004 : 07:47:50
GRR...GRR......Anyone else expecting the Mutant Enemy logo to appear?
Lady Kazandra Posted - 27 Apr 2004 : 06:54:36
Wood Elf, for the most part, the GRR accessories are aimed at all campaign settings, much like WotC products. However, most of the monster books, and class books released by GRR also give special attention to the complete campaign settings they also publish - the 'Vistas' settings - like for example, Mindshadows.

Conversion between settings isn't really that difficult, although in most situations and specific campaign settings, it's often better to use the material provided that supports the setting you are playing in. Like your celestials example. If there's stats for celestials in a FR product, it's often better to make use of those instead. It's not a stab against GRR, it's just that their creations are generated to be very broad, so they can be applied to many settings. They're often absent of campaign-specific flavor that makes some creatures unique.

If you want to use aspects of a GRR product that your campaign setting doesn't have, then generally, no conversion is necessary, unless the GRR book specifically states that this GRR product is designed for a GRR released campaign setting.

Now, I'd better stop saying GRR, because it's giving me a headache . . .
Wood Elf Ranger Posted - 27 Apr 2004 : 06:39:24
I just took a look at the link for this book and I have to say I am very interested. I have a few questions as well.

Are Green Ronin books all for a certain setting or are they similar to the WOtC books covering a few different settings?

How easy is it to convert Green Ronin material to the Forgotten Realms setting? For example if they are using completely different celestials than those found in the FR then it would be really hard to convert but if they were the same then it would be really easy.
Lady Kazandra Posted - 27 Apr 2004 : 06:22:08
Will do Shadowlord, and thanks for the reminder .

And Bookwyrm, no I would not prefer Ned Kelly - it's a very sad chapter of this nation's history .

Wisplings are planetouched that are said (in 3e) to be the descendents of halflings and tanar'ri. So, they could very well be what Dargoth is talking about. There's also the Maeluths, who are the offspring of dwarves and baatezu. They're planetouched as well.
Shadowlord Posted - 26 Apr 2004 : 22:17:16
I'd prefer if you used one of those Celestial Messenger's everyone seems to be talking about. I hear they're quite the rage...
Bookwyrm Posted - 26 Apr 2004 : 20:12:05
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

I never did care much for Paul Revere, although I suppose that's because I'm not an American. For heroes of the Revolution, Benjamin Franklin was always a source of inspiration for me.

Oh, never said I cared for him either. I just liked the image.

What, would you prefer I used Ned Kelly?
Kuje Posted - 26 Apr 2004 : 18:01:07
quote:

What Im really looking for is a book with a heap of Tiefling/Aasimar races for other races for example theres mention of Plane Touched Haflings in ROF by no stats are given

Are these the Wisplings that are in Fiend Folio?
Lady Kazandra Posted - 26 Apr 2004 : 13:19:30
I never did care much for Paul Revere, although I suppose that's because I'm not an American. For heroes of the Revolution, Benjamin Franklin was always a source of inspiration for me.

Anyway, the Sage is now resting his weary mind and body, so unfortunately he won't be returning to Candlekeep until tomorrow.
Bookwyrm Posted - 26 Apr 2004 : 10:55:14
::The ghostly image of Paul Revere sudenly bursts out of a wall, riding an equally spectral horse. He shouts "The Sage is coming! The Sage is coming!" before vanishing into a bookcase on the far wall.::

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000