Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Core
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2019 :  00:56:33  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was watching the movie “The Core” and at the same time someone on one of the Facebook groups I’m on spoke of traveling to the core of his game world.

It got me thinking about Toril’s core and how little I know about it. So here are my questions and comments.

1. Is Toril’s core similar to Earth’s and does it follow scientific rules to some extent. I can’t imagine we need a rotating core to maintain a magnetic field because we don’t need to protect ourself from solar radiation like in the real world.

2. How deep does the Underdark go that is inhabited by non-elemental races. Does it become molten just below where they live or are there still miles of bedrock below even the lowest settlements?

3. What would a journey to the core (or at least deeper than any have gone before) entail for a character and the magical protections required? Heat, obviously - but pressure? That seems to be ignored sometimes in deep water, so is it likewise ignored for underearth? Also breathing is another obvious factor. I know the Underdark has connections to the Shadow Plane down deep but that doesn’t make sense completely - particularly in the way the shadow plane is described nowadays.

4. Anything we know to be canonically down there? To be honest in all the years I’ve played D&D, other than Mystara’s Hollow Earth, all I’ve ever heard about was a creature that I believe was in the old 3e Epic Handbook (phaethon or something like that).

I’m kind of thinking I’d like to have a reason to take my players down there. Maybe the Core movie’s plot can be adapted somehow.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2019 :  01:17:18  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Ed said this on regard of a comparision between Earth's and Toril's gravity.

"Toril is SLIGHTLY larger than Earth, so the gravity is SLIGHTLY heavier, but the difference is so tiny that the PHB 50 coins to the pound works just fine. (The potentially greater difference is offset by Toril having less mass/different core composition.)"

https://twitter.com/TheEdVerse/status/1115626274423300096

Hope it helps with your questions

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2019 :  02:12:26  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, that’s very helpful! I assume then, that density-wise, there are a ton of similarities. We don’t know all that much about our own core, but at least some general assumptions could be made then.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2019 :  02:35:35  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

I was watching the movie “The Core”

That one?
quote:
1. Is Toril’s core similar to Earth’s

Probably, since it got mantle with magma and all that. But AFAIK nobody tried to go down there and take a look.
quote:
I can’t imagine we need a rotating core to maintain a magnetic field because we don’t need to protect ourself from solar radiation like in the real world.

Well, Realmspace got one liveworld (as such, it's unlikely to have enough of ferromagnetic material, but TBH it's also 6 times farther from the primary than Toril), multiple moons (inconclusive in this regard) and many small asteroids (which includes Tears of Selune orbiting Toril) that are generally habitable, so...

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 18 Jun 2019 02:39:13
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000