Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Ed Greenwood on Twitter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Zeromaru X
Master of Realmslore

Colombia
1262 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2019 :  14:36:26  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On draconic language

@3eels (22 feb, 2019)
@TheEdVerse What honorifics and titles would a green dragon in the Forgotten Realms give herself, or be given to her by a cult dedicated to her worship?

@TheEdVerse (23 feb)
From cultists: Deadly Lady of Deception, Dread Queen of the Forest, She Of The Emerald Scales, Lady Breath Of Death, Emerald Empress.
Bestowed on herself: Oum Kouram ["Peerless Ruler" in Auld High Wyrmish], Oum Or ["Supreme One: in Auld High Wyrmish]
#Realmslore

@ZeromaruX
I'm going to shamelessly steal your draconic words, if you don't mind. Guessing, Oum is peerless/supreme, right?

Is this High Wyrmish the same "Aragrakh" language mentioned in the 3e FRCS?

@TheEdVerse
By all means! ;}
Oum is indeed peerless/supreme/the best exemplar
Aragrakh is a later, more everyday and widespread language; Auld High Wyrmish is an ancient formal tongue used in early dragon spells. ("Auld"=old, and there was a 'low' Wyrmish, called just "Wyrmish")
#Realmslore

@ZeromaruX (24 feb)
So, if we make a language tree, this would be like:

Auld High Wyrmish / Wyrmish > Aragrakh > current standard draconic (does it has a draconic name?) / Abeiran draconic (that is a little bit different from the standard).

Is this right?

@TheEdVerse
Yes. The current dragon language is called "Draconic" by almost all non-dragons and quite a few dragons, too. When speaking IN Draconic, the language itself is called "Glav" which is the word for "speech/converse" (pronounced like "Glad" with the "d" replaced by the end of "have"). The dragons of Abeir (incl. Laerakond) call their tongue "Aklave" (AK-lavv to rhyme with have, not with save or enclave), and Glave and Aklave are so similar that a speaker or writer fluent in one can use the other with little difficulty.
#Realmslore

Zero's notes:
For those curious about the differences between Glav and Aklave, you can check the links below. As Ed said, differences are minimal (mostly pronuntiation, and a few "new" words the more social dragonborn have created):

http://slushlush.com/2013/04/a-draconic-primer/

http://slushlush.com/2015/10/lonely-planet-vayemniri-or-more-draconic-for-you/

Long ago, in the distant past, they fell into decay. The philosopher’s path... The river of glory... Even the saints resting in the darkness rise up without response and block the way...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 26 Feb 2019 15:17:01
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7854 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2019 :  20:34:13  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wow, thanks for the links to Erin's primer on draconic and vayemniri.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4395 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2019 :  19:28:04  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Elvish words for Winter and Garden

@FRAltDimensions - 10th March 2019
@TheEdVerse Hi Ed, I was wondering if you had an elvish word for Garden. In particular i'm trying to come up with a name for Winter's Garden as a place. I think Aug might refer to Winter but i'm struggling to find a word for garden.
Kind Regards…

@theEdverse
Sure. Elves in the Realms have several words for the cold season and for gardens (depending on how tended and what for, but I'd go with "loress" for winter and "tlarranen" for garden, and they'd probably be combined as "loresstlar."
#RealmsloreEd Greenwood added,
FR Alt Dimensions

@gkrashos
Mar 11
Replying to @TheEdVerse
In a previous reply on 17/2/19 you said that "oth" was the elvish word for Winter. Can we assume that "loress" works for "cold season" generally or is it a racial version of Winter (i.e. used by the wood elves)?

@TheEdVerse
Mar 11
Yes. "Oth" is the macro 'cold time of year' whereas "loress" is 'nature's cold season' for gardeners/growing things. When speaking of blizzards, closed roads, and dying of exposure, say "oth," but when speaking of hibernation, dormancy, and cold-resistant plants, say "loress." :}

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3703 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2019 :  20:42:59  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so this is a posting of what has already been said...not a place to ask questions?

AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4395 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2019 :  20:50:03  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, if you post a question to Ed on Twitter then put the details and the response here so we can all read about it (I know I don't use Twitter much at all but I can see hundreds of tweets over the last three years that have been missed here).

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Sunderstone
Learned Scribe

84 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2019 :  00:02:27  Show Profile Send Sunderstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Madeiron Sunderstone;

@TheEdVerse Was Madeiron Sunderstone, the big hearted giant he appears in the final book of the Double Diamond series? Was his strength extra ordinary? In Waterdeep 3.5 sourcebook, it states he is descended from a Giant Demigo

Ed Greenwood
@TheEdVerse
Feb 22
Replying to @MarvelF89471649
YES to both. ;} And you can see him in CITY OF SPLENDORS, the novel @e_cunningham and I wrote together about Waterdeep, too. (If you haven't read the rest of Elaine's books, RUSH to do so. She brings Waterdeep to life PERFECTLY!)
#Realmslore

Marvel Fan
#8207;

@MarvelF89471649
@TheEdVerse If their was a strongman contest in the Realms (human/demi-human) like the MetRX World's Strongest Man contests, who would be the top contenders? Thanks!

Ed Greenwood
#8207;@TheEdVerse
Replying to @MarvelF89471649
Depends on time and place you speak of. For instance, Waterdeep in the 1350s DR: Madeiron Sunderstone would be a contender.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
31915 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2019 :  02:08:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got several more Ed responses to put here, myself, but free time has not been in copious supply.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2019 :  00:27:02  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

So, I've just discovered #AskElminster is apparently a thing (boy is it ever).

Ed Greenwood, @TheEdVerse, 16 Mar 2019
So this is all your fault, @MissMartinsen :} Starting out semi-serious, but likely won’t stay that way after the first ten or so. Q: “Through great striving and much personal sacrifice, my adventuring band slew an eye tyrant. I harvested its eyes, but after a dozen days of riding to reach the nearest city, they were beyond rotting, and no alchemist wanted me within a dozen streets of his shop, let alone to buy my dripping, reeking bag, whose discharges stained everything kale-vomit green. I burned the bag, and the smoke killed my horse, a passing dog, and a bystander. What should I do NEXT time?”

Elminster Saith: “Select ye hardier bystanders. Nay, but seriously, find and pluck at least six leaves from a sarruth bush—broad blue-green leaves, dagged edges, come to a sharp point, the bushes grow wild up and down the Sword Coast from Fireshear to Tashluta, and east across the Heartlands as far as Raurin—and boil them in any ditch water, it need not be clean. A translucent jelly shall result; coat thy raw monster entrails, flesh, hide or what have ye in this, and it shall keep for a tenday. The treatment can be renewed to last longer.”

Ed Greenwood, @TheEdVerse, 17 Mar 2019
Q: “I’m smitten with a nymph, and want to woo her. My intentions are honourable! How should I proceed?”

Elminster Saith: “With great care, respect, a love of nature, no fire nor axes about thy person, and a good thick blindfold. Worn over thine eyes, not hers. Feel not overboldly, or ’tis a club ye’ll be feeling, likely right in thy feels.”

The Gryphon King, Larry Dixon, @LarryDixonTGK, 17 Mar 2019
@TheEdVerse #AskElminster My paramour is really into exotic creatures. I'm thinking of dressing as a gryphon for romantic intentions. Can you forsee any troubles with this?
Ed Greenwood, @TheEdVerse, 18 Mar 2019
Unless she’s really into pain and blood loss, and has ongoing healing magic at work, I’d go with soft rubber-tipped faux beak and talons, rather than shapeshifting to get temporary real ones. They play hell with cushions and draperies, too.

Q: “My spouse is an adventurer, and returned from his latest dungeon foray covered in a blue-glowing fungus that not only sticks to his skin, but CRAWLS slowly all over it. If plucked or scraped, it brings his skin with it! What should I do?”

Elminster Saith: “Procure ye some elverquisst or seawine, and pour it liberally all over the creep-thluk, for that is what thy spouse has. The growth will become drunk, and curl up at all edges to have a good writhe; pluck it off, drop it into a hot skillet, and fry in boar fat or ox-tallow, with a little dill and wild onion. When the glow fades, ’tis done. Delicious. Thy urine will glow blue for a night and a day after dining, and if collected in a clear vessel, can be used as a dim-lamp for that time.”

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5437 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2019 :  03:20:56  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

Q: “My spouse is an adventurer, and returned from his latest dungeon foray covered in a blue-glowing fungus that not only sticks to his skin, but CRAWLS slowly all over it. If plucked or scraped, it brings his skin with it! What should I do?”

Elminster Saith: “Procure ye some elverquisst or seawine, and pour it liberally all over the creep-thluk, for that is what thy spouse has. The growth will become drunk, and curl up at all edges to have a good writhe; pluck it off, drop it into a hot skillet, and fry in boar fat or ox-tallow, with a little dill and wild onion. When the glow fades, ’tis done. Delicious. Thy urine will glow blue for a night and a day after dining, and if collected in a clear vessel, can be used as a dim-lamp for that time.”

This is brilliant!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Master of Realmslore

1779 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2019 :  05:55:01  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Roavrae, a blended wine of a particular boiled cave moss mixed with the internal juices of a specific Underdark spider, the “roave” (a plentiful small black scuttling spider; five can fit on a typical adult human palm).

This raises the question of spider-killing again.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2019 :  00:51:49  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
This is brilliant!

(addendum)

Nicole Martinsen, @MissMartinsen, 18 Mar2019
I do hope that glowing ammonia urine won’t hurt the environment—if used in one’s vegetable garden, will it cause future plants to grow or else sprout said creep-thluk?

Ed Greenwood, @TheEdVerse, 19 Mar 2019
Too much urine kills plants, grass, even trees! However, in moderation, and especially mixed in a "manure tea," it's just fine for helping plants to grow (NOT glow ;} ), and no, won't cause creep-thluk. ;}

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2019 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000