Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Ed Greenwood on Twitter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
31823 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2019 :  03:21:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On what Manshoon, Maaril, and Hesperdan were doing at age 43:

7 Feb 2019

@garethgarfoot
I've recently turned 43, so I was wondering if you could shed light on what my favourite three mages, Manshoon, Maaril, and Hesperdan were doing in their 43rd years. As always, thanks GG

@TheEdVerse
Right, here we go. Sages of the Realms, take note…
Hesperdan was 43 in 1106 DR, and though young, was rising in power among dragons. And faring badly against older and more powerful wyrms, several of whom had nearly slain him.

It was in this year that he first met Elminster, and Hesperdan’s desire to stay alive, revulsion at how paranoid, territorial, and grasping elder dragons he’d met had become, and fascination with humankind, their wizardry, and their society led him to overcome his acquisitive dragon nature and work with Elminster to gain arcane knowledge, to pursue his aim of attaining human shape, living among humans, and participating in his greatest love of all: intrigue and manipulation. Hesperdan first let Elminster into his mind in this year, and they shared thoughts and experiences. (This was the beginning of their long alliance, which led to Hesperdan later becoming an embedded spy for Elminster among the ranks of the Zhentarim.

Manshoon was 43 in 1271 DR, when the Zhentarim were a decade old and his hold on power in Zhentil Keep had become absolute. He spent much of this year in seclusion, ostensibly studying magic. Though he did craft some new spells (largely by refining existing spells, and combining stolen elven enchantments in new and more powerful ways), much of this year he spent doing two things: expanding and improving his private, personal spies both inside and outside the Zhentarim (his watchdogs on Fzoul and Fzoul’s priests, and his scouts to investigate future targets to conquer, such as Darkhold), and making ever-more-solid pacts with various beholders, to make his aims theirs, and so lessen chances of their betraying or sacrificing him. He also set about a long sideline project of magically enslaving several black dragon personal steeds.

Maaril was 43 in 1360 DR, a year he spent in seclusion in his Dragon Tower in Waterdeep. Or so Waterdhavians thought. In truth, he spent an eventful year traveling the Heartlands in disguise, getting over heartbreak at the loss of Tarrathra Delthond, his lover and trusted apprentice, taking on a new lover and apprentice (the shapeshifting Woevefril Tannakar) he hoped wouldn’t betray him as Tarrathra had, and rebuffing overtures from Manshoon to join the Zhentarim (Maaril was irked at the ease and persistence of Manshoon’s spies in finding him wherever he went and whatever guise he assumed, to petition him repeatedly).

There you go. ;}

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 11 Feb 2019 03:23:09
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
31823 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2019 :  03:22:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On ranks in the Purple Dragons:

8 Feb 2019

@ex_libris85
Hey @TheEdVerse need some help to figure out the ranking system of Cormyr's Purple Dragons. I am playing a PC who is a "lieutenant" in modern parlance so I have labeled him a Swordcaptain, but some places on google say this is more a enlisted sergeant-type rank. Volo's is scant

@TheEdVerse
You are correct. See POWER OF FAERUNp29 for a handy comparative ranks table. A modern private = blade in the Purple Dragons; corporal = telsword ("sword"); sergeant = first sword; lieutenant = swordcaptain; captain =lionar; major = ornrion; colonel = constal, etc.
#Realmslore

@ex_libris85
Thank you mighty Sage, I knew that Volo guy was sketchy.

@TheEdVerse
Heh. Sketchy indeed. And so shifty he escapes being drawn in many sketches. ;}

@ex_libris85
Oh, you writers!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4338 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2019 :  10:49:32  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If anyone has twitter would they mind asking a question of Ed about his original vision for Song Dragons for me pretty please.

I would like to know what he envisaged for the song dragon, how it differed from weredragons, how they reproduce (are there male and female and if not which other species are the cross fertile with), and any other information he might care to share about them. I realise this was all NDA regarding D&D song dragons a decade ago, but i was more interested in how he originally wanted them to be.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3008 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2019 :  18:04:11  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

If anyone has twitter would they mind asking a question of Ed about his original vision for Song Dragons for me pretty please.

I would like to know what he envisaged for the song dragon, how it differed from weredragons, how they reproduce (are there male and female and if not which other species are the cross fertile with), and any other information he might care to share about them. I realise this was all NDA regarding D&D song dragons a decade ago, but i was more interested in how he originally wanted them to be.

Done; will report here if I get an answer.

To all Facebook-using FR fans, you might be interested in checking out this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/450517575051806/
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4338 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2019 :  18:21:54  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome, thank you

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3008 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2019 :  03:48:32  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Awesome, thank you

This is what Ed said:

quote:
Song dragons were essentially weredragons renamed, as D&D changed editions. In my original Realms, SOME weredragons were the result of dragon/human (or dragon/elf, or dragon/etc.) crossbreeding (in the ancestry of a particular weredragon). Which HORRIFIED TSR's Code of Conduct folks.

To all Facebook-using FR fans, you might be interested in checking out this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/450517575051806/

Edited by - Irennan on 14 Feb 2019 03:50:13
Go to Top of Page

lsls
Seeker

23 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2019 :  14:12:25  Show Profile Send lsls a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You can find THO/ED's response in his 2009 and 2011 threads here:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12023&whichpage=106

quote:
And Zandilar, you've spotted a WotC shift in how they viewed song dragons (the former "weredragons" of Ed-lore): initially (MoF) female-only, later seen as both genders with males VERY rare, for the very "how does the species reproduce, then?" reasons you bring up. Ed explained this discrepancy away by saying they all have the ability to take human female form, and are cross-fertile with humans when operating as females, but some of them use spells to APPEAR as human males for certain times, either out of preference or for business or personal mission reasons. So the male human is actually a magically-disguised human female who is really a song dragon in its only "natural" human form.
Myself, I share Ed's preference: that they'd stuck with weredragons all along, by all means revamping them for 3e if they wanted to do so, but thinking through such basics as species reproduction before writing up "official" rules. Sigh.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14621&whichpage=38

quote:
As for Raumarth being a male, weredragons can be both male and female. 3e highlighted just the particular sort of weredragons known as Song Dragons, that take the form of female humans and female dragons, but the male weredragons who sire them still exist. They're just VERY rare now, thanks to being hunted by the Zhents AND the Cult of the Dragon for dragon-steed-breeding purposes (another largely untold tale of the Realms, though we Knights have seen quite a bit of it in play). Probably rare enough (like maedar, the male medusae) that a staff designer figured they didn't rate a writeup. Only really powerful unique creatures (the terrasque, demon princes, archdevils, etc.) usually get their own writeup, these days . . .

I'm lsls not isis :)

Edited by - lsls on 14 Feb 2019 14:12:58
Go to Top of Page

lsls
Seeker

23 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2019 :  14:26:27  Show Profile Send lsls a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These were I asked:

On fates of Kara-Tur and Maztica pantheon during the ToT

12 Oct 2018

@coolguy73360922
Hi Mr Greenwood! A question about the Time of Troubles. Did Ao cast down Kara-Tur and Maztica Pantheon from the heavens during the ToT?

@TheEdVerse
Oh, yes. However, the avatars of most of the deities from those pantheons hid or saw to personal business on Toril during the ToT, keeping much lower public profiles than those we read about in the "Avatar Trilogy."

Edited by - lsls on 14 Feb 2019 14:36:59
Go to Top of Page

lsls
Seeker

23 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2019 :  14:32:14  Show Profile Send lsls a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Manshoon's clones

15 Oct 2018

@coolguy73360922
In "Only a Woman Can Take This Sort of Abuse", Manshoon forgetten stasis clone spell FOREVER. Did it included all his clones?

@TheEdVerse
No. What happens to one Manshoon affects only clones of that Manshoon (i.e. THAT Manshoon's subsequent uses of the clone spell), not any existing clones. They all have different memories, spell mastery and rosters, and powers.

Go to Top of Page

lsls
Seeker

23 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2019 :  14:35:05  Show Profile Send lsls a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Kelemvor's "jurisdiction"

29 Dec 2018

@coolguy73360922
A question about Kelemvor’s jurisdiction.
Do Faithless / False souls of Maztican or Kara-Turan judged and punished by Kelemvor?

@TheEdVerse
Only if they perish on hallowed ground (temples, blessed cemeteries or crypts, etc.) in Faerûn.

@coolguy73360922
I assume that Kelemvor unable to judge souls of Mulhorandi and Untheri either (except that "only if")?

@TheEdVerse
No, he can and does judge them, for all present-day (last 3 centuries) Mulhorandi and Untheri are daily aware of the presence, not just worship, of what we call the "Faerûnian" pantheon. As everyone saw from the Time of Troubles, a lot of godly "jurisdiction" is fuzzy/in flux.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2019 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000