Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Okay, yet another possible campaign...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  05:28:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
this time run by me.

Anyone with some sort of vague interest should post here.

I do like leaving some things open to the players.

As of right now, the following are up for debate:

• Rules version-3.0 or 3.5?
  • Locale of the campaign(I really wouldn't be posting here unless it was in the FR)
  • and communication method(IRC, AIM, MSN)
  • Roleplaying or hack-and-slash based?

These aren't:

• Level 1 characters. If anyone is interested in playing something with a higher ECL, contact me using your preferred method.
  • It will be in the FR. Note, though, that I do ascribe to the older Planescape/Spelljammer way of doing things, so...
  • No evil characters.

More items will appear as we go through this. Oh, and my optimal set is 4-6 players.

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  05:33:57  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm interested, Arivia. Since Elrond's PbM (Play By Messenger) Campaign seems to have died off, I'll gladly join yours, if you'll have me.

As for your inquiry,
Rules version 3.5
I suppose the locale is up to the DM
Communication method IRC or AIM
A mix of roleplay and hack n' slash is always better in my eyes. That way, the PC's have some reason to justify their killing spree.
I suppose I could play a non-evil character.

Have anything else in mind that you forgot to post here already?

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.

Edited by - Shadowlord on 13 Apr 2004 05:34:16
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  05:36:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord

I'm interested, Arivia. Since Elrond's PbM (Play By Messenger) Campaign seems to have died off, I'll gladly join yours, if you'll have me.

You're fine, Shadowlord.

quote:

Hmm, I guess I should have reinforced this slightly. I'd like to see what areas of the Realms the players prefer, as I really like them all.
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  05:47:20  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rules: 3.5, I only have the sourcebooks for this version
Locale: Would love to play in the Silver Marches area there seems to be a lot of interesting things going on around that area
Comm method: Hmm would prefer by e-mail so people woudln't mind if I took a long time to write detailed descriptions. Playing over MSN or AIM could be very interesting but would require set times and thats hard to do with all of our busy schedules...
Roleplaying first and foremost with a good dash of hack-n-slash added in for flavor
I never play evil characters

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU

Edited by - Wood Elf Ranger on 13 Apr 2004 05:53:19
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  05:50:59  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord

You're fine, Shadowlord.

quote:

Hmm, I guess I should have reinforced this slightly. I'd like to see what areas of the Realms the players prefer, as I really like them all.

Hmm, I myself prefer Cormanthor, The High Forest, and generally any area with a connection to elves. I once played a dwarf, named Graxx Shadowstone, and adopted the name for my moderator account at the inn, but thats as far as I went away from being at least half-elven. The most popular areas are (you guessed it ) The Sword Coast North, The Silver Marches, and the Dales. Any of these is fine for me.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  06:01:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing bad, then.

Another pair of questions.

• Do you have a copy of the Player's Guide to Faerun?
  • Do you have a copy of Unearthed Arcana?

And yes, I am lovink bullets tonight.

Edited by - Arivia on 13 Apr 2004 06:03:42
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  06:15:35  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hehe, I can tell.

And yes, I have copies of both aforementioned tomes.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  06:46:24  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sigh I do not have either of those as of yet. If its required I would not mind purchasing them. Monsters of Faerun was next on my list but I want to eventually collect all of the Faerunian tomes so I guess it doesn't matter what order I purchase them in

Heres a list of what I do have in case your wondering.
  • the Core Rulebooks of course (got them in a gift set for cheap )

• Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting

• Faiths and Patheons

• Silver Marches

• Magic of Faefun

• Lords of Darkness

• Book of Exalted Deeds

• Song and Silence

• Masters of the Wild

Those bullet things are fun

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU

Edited by - Wood Elf Ranger on 13 Apr 2004 06:47:20
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  07:13:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, then.

I'll send basic information and such out in some format this Wednesday or such, if everyone would provide an email address. If you're wary about spam and such, feel free to email me separately with the contact information. Slots are still open for more players; however unless something of mind-shatteringly major magnitude comes up, it's in the Silver Marches.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  07:20:04  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right then. Fine by me. Arivia, feel free to contact me via e-mail at JAM1122@comcast.net

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  07:26:53  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GraphicDLee@MSN.com for me and many thanks for letting me join your campaign.

Jon, should I use my same character or make up a new one? Any ideas? Keep in mind that I like Good aligned characters best though I guess I wouldn't mind playing a Neutral druid... hmm that could be fun
That questionmark face should be smiling not frowning

~Lee N.

Edited by - Wood Elf Ranger on 13 Apr 2004 07:28:47
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  07:34:06  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I would suggest coming up with a whole new character. It's what I'm doing. It gives me a chance to break away from the whole "I am an emissary of evil, my vengeance will be swift..." and so on...

I already have a character in mind... and yet, I won't reveal him (or her ) until Arivia gets the information to us.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Fireheart
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  14:27:55  Show Profile Send Fireheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lady Arivia,

I'm interested if you still have room...

I should warn you, this will be my first game in a not-in-person format so I'm pretty clueless as to how this works. (That is if you don't count the random adventuring thread here that I'm in...)

I have AIM, but email might be easier on me...

I can play good, Silver Marches works for me and I have both Player's Guide and Unearthed Arcana? Are you allowing stuff out of Unearthed? Also, question...I've been dying to play a gloaming...are you allowing the classes from the Underdark?

-Fireheart
PS I'll email you my email address; feel free to pass along to Shadowlord and Wood Elf Ranger.

I believe in what I see/I believe in what I hear/I believe that what I'm feeling/Changes how the world appears
-Rush "Totem"
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  15:01:15  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings Fireheart
Please humor me, what is a gloaming? I can't seem to remember reading about them anywhere and I'm curious

~Lee N.

Go to Top of Page

Fireheart
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  15:18:59  Show Profile Send Fireheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wood Elf Ranger, Oh, they are so cute! They are out of the Underdark book.

Basically, they are plane-touched underdark creatures...touched by the plane of shadow. They are Small fairy-looking creatures with furry wings ranging from black to grey to brown. Their skins glow with a luminescence that can be as bright as a torch or dimmed to nothing at all. (oh, and they have a racial hatred of drow.)

Oh...Arivia...they do have an ECL of either +1 or +2, when I get home tonight, I can post or email you the write-up. I'm perfectly willing to take the character class hit and play a straight gloaming with no character classes until we get to the appropriate level.

-Fireheart

I believe in what I see/I believe in what I hear/I believe that what I'm feeling/Changes how the world appears
-Rush "Totem"
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  04:29:05  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh that does sound very interesting Fireheart. I would also be interested in that writeup if you could forward it to me also, please? Don't worry I wont copy you and play one I just want to know more about them. Can they use their wings to fly? Do they have a favored class? I bet they would make good bards?

~Lee N.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  06:39:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, another question(with the obligatory bullets):

• How do you feel about the inclusion of exalted and vile material?

I'm not saying that we'll be delving into the ethical issues presented in those two tomes, just that I have a penchant for using material from those two tomes, and I'd like to hear your comments...

Oh, and Fireheart, you're in. From the look of things, you'll not be the only one stepping into deeper waters; either this or the Sage's campaign will be my first attempt at an email game(there's some sort of confirmation in there).

Edited by - Arivia on 14 Apr 2004 06:44:31
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  08:55:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm writing the general information piece right now.
Okay, Wood Elf Ranger, I highly suggest you pick up a copy of the Player's Guide to Faerun, as it seems like we'll be using quite a few things from it. Unearthed Arcana isn't a necessity, if you've got a copy, you'll have access to a few additional options, but nothing completely revisionistic will appear(ie. spell points, Sanity scores).
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  11:38:47  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wont ask to join this one, already being taken up by 4 campaigns. As it is, im probably stressing the dm's out with my incessant questioning, so I will spare Arivia the pain

However, would it be possible for me to join the campaign as a viewer of some kind, I would love to be exposed to one of Arvia's campaigns and I will get to learn from some of the best at the same time.

I would love to at least watch

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  12:12:38  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to join your campaign Arivia.

Although, please bear in mind that my knowledge of the Realms is still very limited. As for access to FR material, I can use whatever the Sage has in his library.

So, can I still join?.

My email - ladyofthemists@dragonlance.zzn.com

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  12:15:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MuadDib

I wont ask to join this one, already being taken up by 4 campaigns. As it is, im probably stressing the dm's out with my incessant questioning, so I will spare Arivia the pain

However, would it be possible for me to join the campaign as a viewer of some kind, I would love to be exposed to one of Arvia's campaigns and I will get to learn from some of the best at the same time.

I would love to at least watch

You're welcome to play, or just watch if that's what you want to do. For now, I'll pass things to you through the Hotmail account you've detailed elsewhere.
Go to Top of Page

Fireheart
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  13:51:13  Show Profile Send Fireheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks!

I'm fine with exalted and vile material (don't have books though) - I can't play exalted...I'm just not that good, but I don't mind the inclusion of said stuff.

Wood Elf Ranger, I'll be happy to copy you on the gloaming stats I'll send to Arivia. (I completely forgot last night, I'm sorry..so I will send as soon as I get home today!)

Yes, they can use their wings to fly...I think the favored class is sorcerer. And you're right, I'd bet they would make good bards...hadn't thought of that...hmmm...character idea forming....

-Fireheart

-Rush "Totem"
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  14:43:11  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arivia - I am on my way to Amazon.com to order the Players Guide to Faerun right now! As listed above I do indeed have the Book of Exalted Deeds and would love to see it implimented in a campaign. I imagine that stuff from Vile would be similar but opposite and most likely would only be used for NPC's and our enemies?

Fireheart - Thank you for the information in advance And I am glad I could help with your character formation process sounds like its coming together for you. I'm going to wait until Arivia sends us more information but hopefully I'll think up a character as interesting as yours.

~Lee N.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  16:57:29  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just as a comment.

I would strongly suggest that you use both editions. That is, use mainly 3.5e, but add in 3e bits like (oo, bullets!):
  • wizard specialization

• regional feats (while I haven't read PGtF, I don't like the new idea)

• some items (but not the over-munchkin ones)

I think I might like to lurk a bit as well. At the moment, I don't know if I can join. Probably not.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Fireheart
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  21:42:48  Show Profile Send Fireheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question for thee, Master Bookwyrm...

Did the wizard specialization change much from 3.0 to 3.5? I don't play wizards much but I didn't think a lot changed. I know you can still specialize in 3.5. Can you explain the main differences...as I am currently debating character classes for this game, I am curious?

Also, as for the regional feat system...I must respectfully disagree. I'd much rather Arivia let us use the ones out of the new book - the actual feats are way better! You get more than just +2 to two skills when choosing them now, which makes it more likely players will choose them both for role-playing and minmaxing purposes. Other than changing the feats and makeing them more even with the ones in the PHB, I'm not sure how the system changed. Although they did get rid of the class requirements (IIRC).

items: I cam agree with Bookwyrm here, Arivia...They did increase the prices a lot on a variety of items in 3.5 compared to 3.0 but I can live with either. I have both editions so I'm happy either way.

-Fireheart (randomly responding)

-Rush "Totem"
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  22:35:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

I would like to join your campaign Arivia.

Although, please bear in mind that my knowledge of the Realms is still very limited. As for access to FR material, I can use whatever the Sage has in his library.

So, can I still join?.

My email - ladyofthemists@dragonlance.zzn.com

Yep, sure. More players are welcome.

quote:

Did the wizard specialization change much from 3.0 to 3.5? I don't play wizards much but I didn't think a lot changed. I know you can still specialize in 3.5. Can you explain the main differences...as I am currently debating character classes for this game, I am curious?

Instead of the "pick one of these options for your opposing school(s)" bit, it's been changed to lose two other schools, unless you're a diviner, in which case you only have to give up one.

quote:

Also, as for the regional feat system...I must respectfully disagree. I'd much rather Arivia let us use the ones out of the new book - the actual feats are way better! You get more than just +2 to two skills when choosing them now, which makes it more likely players will choose them both for role-playing and minmaxing purposes. Other than changing the feats and makeing them more even with the ones in the PHB, I'm not sure how the system changed. Although they did get rid of the class requirements.

Sorry, Bookie, but I'm with Fireheart on this.

quote:

items: I cam agree with Bookwyrm here, Arivia...They did increase the prices a lot on a variety of items in 3.5 compared to 3.0 but I can live with either. I have both editions so I'm happy either way.

I actually hadn't noticed this. Is this for mundane goods, or is this for magic items and such?

On a related topic, the worst thing from the conversion, in my opinion, is what happened to weapon sizes. There's a comic in Dungeon #106 that addresses how pointlessly absurd that change was.
Go to Top of Page

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  23:17:17  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to join too if possible. I have a few (a lot) ideas for characters that I would like to try out in the Realms. Mostly because I only DM FR myself. I haven't been a player yet in FR. I have most books except for 3.5 PHB, ELH, 3.5 DMG and 3.5 MM.

I would like some information as well though, information regarding what time this will be played (preferably GMT time if possible cos I have no idea what 8 pm EST is in Denmark ), how it will be played (email, messenger or something else?).

So if ya still got room and you don't play too late for my liking then I would like to join if possible. Feel free to email me. Email should be in my profile

A wise man from Calimport once told me: "If a merchant puts sand in the flask of oil he's trying to sell you, then he isn't trying to sell you sand..."
Go to Top of Page

Fireheart
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2004 :  02:30:57  Show Profile Send Fireheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I actually hadn't noticed this. Is this for mundane goods, or is this for magic items and such?

Magic items mainly. Can't think of any specifics off the top of my head...sorry!

Also, I sent you the gloaming stats this evening...let me know if you didn't get them...Once you review, let me know if I can play her and I'll start the character.

Thank you!
-Fireheart

-Rush "Totem"
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2004 :  03:27:38  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yep, sure. More players are welcome.

Okay then, thank you.

Now, what more do I have to do to assist you?.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2004 :  05:54:47  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First: my appologies. I should have said "regional feat system." It was already discussed around here that the regional feats from the Realms would have to be updated in order to make them better than the ones (especially the skill-based ones) in the 3.5e PHB. However, while I don't know what these new feats are like, I don't like the idea that you can only take them at first level, and (in the case of humans' bonus feat), only once.

Second, as to items, some are over priced. A lot of other items are (were?) under priced in 3e, of course (boots of striding and springing is a good example), but they seem to have overcompensated with some (the aforementioned example being one here as well).

As an aside, to those who like the story, Jack Archer's new boots are 3e boots of striding and springing. I felt guilty about the imbalance at first, but when I looked over the stuff I had and found a few math mistakes, I found that I had more money for him than I'd thought. So I'm sinking some of that into the boots as compensation.

(Lady Kazandra, please tell the Sage I'll get the update to him when I finish; I'm afraid a physics paper takes precedence, but it shouldn't take too long. And please remind him that I'm still waiting on his analysis of the Fencer-class proposals I sent him! )

Finally, Cherrn: Eastern Time, whether "daylight" or "standard," is always -0500 GMT. So just subtract six hours from your time.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2004 :  06:26:29  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will do Bookwyrm .

Part of the reason I'm so active here at the moment (and moreso in the days to come) is because the Sage himself is busy with work and university. But then, I'm sure the both of you are already familiar with you each other's non-Realmslore duties .

I'll also tell him to get onto that analysis. If he's stripped for time though, do you mind if I take a look, and maybe send across my thoughts on the class?.

Arivia, I'm still waiting for the Sage's copy of the Player's Guide to Faerun to arrive, will this make it harder for me to contribute in this campaign?.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000