Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Mulmaster
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
6688 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2018 :  12:19:41  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fineva

http://dndadventurersleague.org/state-of-mulmaster/

https://rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons%20%26%20Dragons/D%26D%205th%20Edition/Adventure%20League/S0%20-%20Season-Agnostic/DDAL00-01%20-%20Window%20to%20the%20Past.pdf

Ah, thank you, I knew somewhere I'd just seen something about a pyramid under the ice in the glacier of the white wyrm. I'm going to guess this has something to do with Kyuss, and someone got the idea that "worm" and "wyrm" were the same interpretation. Let me get to skimming.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
6688 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2018 :  13:15:43  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, to sum up what I've learned so far about these official changes to Mulmaster

some elemental evil cults burst some "devastation orbs" throughout the city, resulting in these portals I guess to the elemental planes of fire and earth. The city is in ruins for the most part. The Thayans have been the only people to come to the aid of the Mulmasterite people in any significant way (bringing in food, clothing, shelter). Meanwhile, the new Zulkir of Enchantment, Dar'lon Ma, has moved to Mulmaster to be an open face of aid to the people. Dar'lon Ma is apparently a muscular Mulan male (from the picture of him in the Windows to the Past module), but his description is of a personable nature. Rastol Shan is the head of Mulmaster's Cloaks. Selfaril is once again High Blade of Mulmaster after a century of being trapped in a gem.

The Thayans are employing the bodies of the dead to help clean up the city, but they are doing so quietly and discreetly (for instance, their work crews only work after hours so that people don't have to watch, for instance, their dead father animated to move around detritus). However, these Thayans may have ulterior motives, and they may have started uncovering some caches of magic items in their cleanup efforts (cleanup efforts not being watched by other Mulmasterites since they're done at night). Throw into this, apparently some folks have become upset and are worried about the Thayans taking over Mulmaster (particularly the Zhents and Harpers I'd bet, but also the Emerald Enclave for some reason). I'm still reading the window to the past to see how (what I'm going to guess is Kyuss) is involved in things.

Now, onto how would I incorporate the information that I've read so far. I'd already been planning on doing something with three small towns surrounding the northeastern side of Vesperin (Kurth, Blanaer, and King's Reach), and I'd been thinking about the fact that we have several enclaves up in the vast and moonsea regions. One thing I would change is that I would explicitly state that Dar'lon Ma is not a Zulkir loyal to Szass Tam (in fact, other than apparently a player making said assumption when replying from the Thayan Embassy in Mulmaster, I'm not sure that we have anything on Dar'lon Ma's background). I would also state that when everyone believed Lauzoril was dead, Dar'lon Ma took over as "Zulkir of Enchantment" in the city of Escalant to the expatriates of Thay in that city. I would also have Dar'lon Ma become the new Master of the Guild of Foreign Trade with Samas Kul's death over a decade ago. I think most campaigns would readily accept this concept.

Now, my homebrew stuff involves the United Tharchs of Toril. This involves the idea that the cities of the Wizard's Reach are forming their own Tharch right now. It also involves the "discovery" in the last few years that Lauzoril and Lallara Mediocros are not dead. Thus the OLD Zulkir of enchantment (Lauzoril) is returned and someone else has his title. Normally, this would mean the death of the usurper. However, at the SAME TIME in my homebrew, I am also having the Shaar "return" from Abeir, and its got several small cities gathered together as the "Tharch of Peleveran".... and its ALSO got Lauzoril, the Zulkir of Enchantment. This leads the two Lauzoril's to agree to some special conditions regarding themselves as Zulkirs sharing their number of votes. Meanwhile, what to do with Dar'lon Ma (the third Zulkir)? Well, they get together (along with Dmitra Flass, Aulkir of Illusion for the Tharch of Peleveran and Tharchion of Peleveran) and decide that Dar'lon Ma should try to cultivate a new tharch near Mulmaster, including the cities of Blanaer, Kurth, King's Reach, and Maskyr's Eye and the enclaves in Calaunt and Raven's Bluff. If he is able to do so, he could would become its Aulkir of Enchantment, retain his title as Master of the Guild of Foreign Trade (noting that this would only be in lands FOREIGN to the United Tharchs of Toril), and he could also become its Tharchion. This would place the High Blade Selfaril ultimately as his autharch in Mulmaster and could elevate Rastol Shan and the Cloaks into their membership (or at least, that's the theory... the question of whether those people would accept those roles... depends on how its presented... for instance, if it involved taking over say Phlan or Hillsfar or invading Vesperin, they might be ok with the idea of expanding their organization but losing some personal power in the bargain).

If I did want to do this, I might have to change around some of my terminology I'm been using for the United Tharchs. Specifically, I have 8 Zulkirs, but also each tharch has a representative for their school of magic (known as an Aulkir if they are not a Zulkir). This would make Dar'lon Ma no longer a Zulkir, so I'd either have to make the Zulkir/Aulkir naming convention into something like Grand Zulkir/Zulkir (although I'd like another term besides Grand and might make something up... taking ideas on some sound you could put before Zulkir that makes it sound important... Atu-Zulkir... Vykal-Zulkir... Kha-Zulkir).

Anyway, that's my thoughts without actually reading window to the past at all so far... let me see where it goes.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 02 Feb 2018 15:07:55
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
6688 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2018 :  15:45:07  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, and as I read this, its definitely tying Dar'lon Ma to Thay and not Escalant. Therefore, I wouldn't have to change my titles. I could have him as a Zulkir of Thay but in negotiations with the "enemy" and leaving Thay to build his own legacy elsewhere (and possibly making liaisons with my tharchs).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15270 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2018 :  17:31:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, now I remember why I stopped working on my main mapping project. Every time I open the main map and try to work on it, the whole thing crashes.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Feb 2018 17:31:45
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
6688 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2018 :  17:36:04  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, yeah, the adventure is something about a pyramid under the ice of the glacier of the white wyrm. It has basically an "aspect" of Kyuss of some sort. The party has to kill it. The story itself is kind of lame. About the only thing interesting I got out of the whole adventure was the info on the two NPC's, which I kind of already had. Also, there is a rather strange reference to the number of Zulkirs of Thay..... stating that there are 12 now.

Zulkir Darílon Ma (zul-KEER DAHR-lahn MAY). Male human. One of the 12 Zulkir of Thay. Broadshouldered and oozing charisma, Zulkir Darílon Ma is a consummate politician; he uses his command of enchantment magic to ensure that he remains in power and to keep his enemies at bay. While his bright smile serves to mark him as approachable, his sizable frame and passive body language clearly indicates that he is a formidable combatant.

Also, I find it interesting that they give a picture of Dar'lon Ma that is especially white-skinned (totally expected for a Mulan).... but his description says "Tall, dark-skinned, and broad shouldered, Darílon Ma . Also, he's described as having the build of a professional wrestler. His picture also LOOKS like he's wearing a wrestler's championship belt. I like the guy from a "this is so weird that I'm smiling" perspective. I'd definitely though recommend him having left Thay and moved here because he wants to get out from under Tam's thumb.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15270 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2018 :  22:20:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So it turns out Kyuss has really been all over FR all along?

Well dip me in Worg slorg!

Attempting to access that map again... I deleted over a hundred layers I'm pretty sure I was done with... fingers crossed...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Fineva
Seeker

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2018 :  23:19:57  Show Profile Send Fineva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

So it turns out Kyuss has really been all over FR all along?

Well dip me in Worg slorg!

Attempting to access that map again... I deleted over a hundred layers I'm pretty sure I was done with... fingers crossed...

The Laboratory was used for pressing. Unlike normal folk that press flowers the Netherese pressed souls, hence General Hazirawn pressed into the sword Hazirawn. This offers great possibilities for those who like to press Chosen, etc.

I"
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15270 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2018 :  04:52:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"When Gods start 'scrapbooking', things can go very wrong."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000