Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Baldur's Gate politics
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Deverien Valandil
Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  02:06:52  Show Profile Send Deverien Valandil a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What is the leadership structure of Baldur's Gate? In other words, is it ruled by a single figure, or a group of people, or a single figure who directs a group of people, etc.?

Also, does Baldur's Gate currently have peaceful or hostile relations (or any relations at all) with the following places: Waterdeep, Athkatla, Luskan, and Zazesspur?

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  03:39:04  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deverien Valandil

What is the leadership structure of Baldur's Gate? In other words, is it ruled by a single figure, or a group of people, or a single figure who directs a group of people, etc.?

From various sources including the FRCS:

Four grand dukes rule Baldur's Gate including Eltan (LN male human Ftr 20), the commander of the Flaming Fist mercenary company (Baldur Gate's unofficial army).

Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  07:46:40  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what we can gather Baldur's Gate is still more frontier than others on or around the Sword coast, so it is fiercly independent, it has.. varying agreements for trade and caravans with the neighboring kingdoms of Waterdeep (City state much like Baldur's Gate, but a bit pompous thinking itself a 'City of Splendors') and with Amn (although the whole Bhaalspawn saga has strained relations between the two... but no more than those who argue for more on the bhaalspawn against those who wish the whole think was naught but a bad hangover). Luskan may sit a bit too far north or out of the way for any real relations while Zazesspur... ?... *digs out FRCS and looks up Zazesspur before making any judgements, thoughts or opinions* Ah, Tethyr... It may sit just a tad too far south. The Dukes of BG may maintain some ties with Tethyr (for trade reasons perhaps) and maybe Luskan (maybe) but as for true allies (although Luskan would lean more to enemies due to it being controlled by the Arcane Brotherhood) As for true allies most see 'The Gate' as little more than a peasant's kingdom, too poor to have any profitable ties to(Amn) and too crude or lacking to be an ally of (Waterdeep).
Waterdeep may aid 'The Gate' in times of great strife but I doubt it. Far too many pompous prissy nobles (and the like) running the so called 'City of Splendors'.

As for leaders There are Four grand 'Dukes' (more titles when dealing with other countries than anything else) who call the shots of the city. Duke Eltan has already been mentioned, The three others 'were' Entar Silvershield -Deceased, Killed by the Bhaalspawn Sarevok, And the other two are simply known as Belt- Male Human Fighter and Liia Jannath- Female human(?) wizard, although this information is from the Third day of Kythorn of the Year 1368 Dalereckoning. So if Liia or Belt as still in power in 'The Gate' I do not know, nor do I know who is now the third Duke of Baldur's Gate (The Dukes seem to be elected for life by the small community of nobles if I'm not mistaken, although Belt and Liia were adventurers before becoming 'Dukes')

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000