Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Clerical gods oh my!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arteris
Learned Scribe

121 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2004 :  21:20:39  Show Profile  Visit Arteris's Homepage Send Arteris a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was casually reading several days ago when I was suddenly hit with a question I could not answer. After checking several books I was without an answer. Clerics need a god to pray too, to recieve spells and so forth. But gods who have clerical levels... Who do they pray too? Do they pray to the gods who are above mortal comprehension? (Gods with divinity levels higher than 20)?? Or do they simply pray to themselves?? Any clarification would be helpful.

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2004 :  21:33:31  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe I know that answer. A deity's clerical spells are derived from their own power. They literally pluck the spells from themselves. That should answer your question.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.

Edited by - Shadowlord on 02 Apr 2004 21:35:47
Go to Top of Page

Tyros
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2004 :  21:42:46  Show Profile  Visit Tyros's Homepage Send Tyros a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hail!

quote:
Originally posted by Arteris

I was casually reading several days ago when I was suddenly hit with a question I could not answer. After checking several books I was without an answer. Clerics need a god to pray too, to recieve spells and so forth. But gods who have clerical levels... Who do they pray too? Do they pray to the gods who are above mortal comprehension? (Gods with divinity levels higher than 20)?? Or do they simply pray to themselves?? Any clarification would be helpful.

It would seem that Ao exercises a measure of control over the deities. So, I would guess that they have some kind of special relationship with him/her/it.

Perhaps this relationship has more to to do with simply stewarding and/or advancing their portfolio, and less to do with worshipping or praying to Ao in the same fashion as mortals worship and pray to the deities? If they are true to their own portfolio, then they get the power. If they stray, they begin to lose the power? And Ao governs that?

Frith!
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2004 :  00:26:14  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tyros, Ao doesn't care if a god is true to his/her portfolio. He cares if a god disrupts the Balance he has so carefully created.

BTW, Ao doesn't exactly "grant" power. He just gives the permission on who becomes a god. A god has to earn and fight for his own power. The only time I remember that Ao gave another god some power was Torm when he sacrificed himself to kill Bane.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Tyros
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2004 :  00:49:18  Show Profile  Visit Tyros's Homepage Send Tyros a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Tyros, Ao doesn't care if a god is true to his/her portfolio. He cares if a god disrupts the Balance he has so carefully created.

Oh! Of course! So then, a god acting contrary to his/her portfolio is not disrupting the balance. Gotcha.

So, care to take a stab at where gods with priest spells get their spells from?

Edited by - Alaundo on 03 Apr 2004 09:30:08
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2004 :  03:55:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arteris

Regardless of the official reasoning behind the answer to your question, there have been a multitude of theories from several different campaign settings that have sought to address this issue.

If you believe one of the more prevalent notions in the Planescape setting, the deities draw the power that they grant to their clerics from a fountain of residual energy said to be left over from the creation of the multiverse itself. The curious thing that is written about this particular theory (and my reason for choosing it above some of the more juicier theories), is that the energy is said to be a limited resource (although such a thing should not be possible )...Every time a deity draws energy from the fountain to give a cleric the ability to activate his/her spell, it draws energy away from the cosmological threads that bind the Planes together...It is believed that this will one day lead to a complete planar collapse (not unlike [in some regards] the current [and very revolutionary] thinking behind the 'Heat-Death' theories of our own real-life universe).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

DrizztDoUrden
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  01:54:58  Show Profile  Visit DrizztDoUrden's Homepage Send DrizztDoUrden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This may seem like weird reply to your question but perhaps the deities cleric spells come from thier worshippers. You know like whenever they r worshipped or something it grants them a measure of power. It may sound wierd but i think it knida makes sense

I've sparred with demons from the Nine Hells themselves, I shall barely break a sweat here today
- Drizzt Do'Urden
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  02:12:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DrizztDoUrden

This may seem like weird reply to your question but perhaps the deities cleric spells come from thier worshippers. You know like whenever they r worshipped or something it grants them a measure of power. It may sound wierd but i think it knida makes sense

Last I checked, this was it, especially after the Time of Troubles. Look at both Faiths and Pantheons and Deities and Demigods for more on this, and also some Planescape tomes...
Go to Top of Page

DrizztDoUrden
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  03:13:38  Show Profile  Visit DrizztDoUrden's Homepage Send DrizztDoUrden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah it seems my assumption was correct. Thank you for confirming it. It seems I'm a bit smarter than I think

I've sparred with demons from the Nine Hells themselves, I shall barely break a sweat here today
- Drizzt Do'Urden
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  06:18:55  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The power-from-prayer is the usual standby in fantasy. And this ought to be doubly true in the post-Time of Troubles Realms, since Ao said the gods need to pay more attention to their worshipers . . . since all their power now derives from how many worshipers they have and how fervently they follow the god in question.

As I recall, the gods (except for Mystra II and Cyric, who were new to this and had tons of potential worshipers anyway) were more than a bit POed about that new rule. Of course, it did mean that the Realm of the Dead got a little emptier at the end of the Avatar trilogy, as the gods stopped by to pick up the souls they had . . . er, misplaced.

"I don't exist because people believe in me. I just exist."
-- God, on the TV show Joan of Arcadia.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000