Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 "New D&D novels" coming! (Possibly not FR...)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John Daker
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2017 :  20:48:07  Show Profile Send John Daker a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
New D&D novels confirmed!

Not announced yet, but confirmed. They haven't been confirmed as new Forgotten Realms novels, just "D&D novels". But given that FR is the default setting for 5e, I'd be pretty surprised if none of the new novels in question is FR-based.

The info is buried near the end of the most recent "Fireside Chat" with Nathan Stewart. Here's the link: https://go.twitch.tv/videos/187340382

At 1:06:27 he answers the question:

"Will there be any new D&D novels in the future?"

And the answer is very exciting indeed:

"Yes there will. However, I'm not going to spoil the details on that. But we are working, and hopefully we should have some announcements in Q1 of next year. And those announcements aren't going to be like, 'Oh my god, we got things like multi-years off in the future' and whatnot. Our approach is to try and get everything buttoned up and done and dialed in before we announce. There still might be a lag-time between announcements and, you know, getting new stuff and whatnot, but we have been working on that in the background, we do have plans, we do have some concrete plans that are in the works. So the answer is yes, but we can't really talk about it until early next year."

Edited by - John Daker on 14 Nov 2017 15:48:44

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2231 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2017 :  21:09:29  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am cautiously hopeful, but not sure how much I believe.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

682 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2017 :  06:03:03  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Believe it when I see it.

quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

WotC's latest statement about novels: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?597471-The-State-of-D-amp-D-Products-Psionics-Settings-amp-More&p=7272865&viewfull=1#post7272865

Relevant part: "On Forgotten Realms novels: They feel the novel business is very tricky, and they are a game company. They're not necessarily good at novels business. They don't have a good plan for novels, and they do not have a novel publishing expert on their team right now. It's not something they say they will never do again, it's just not their focus this year. They would consider a partnership, but they're not looking for it."
Go to Top of Page

Bravesteel
Seeker

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2017 :  02:03:42  Show Profile Send Bravesteel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

Believe it when I see it.

quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

WotC's latest statement about novels: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?597471-The-State-of-D-amp-D-Products-Psionics-Settings-amp-More&p=7272865&viewfull=1#post7272865

Relevant part: "On Forgotten Realms novels: They feel the novel business is very tricky, and they are a game company. They're not necessarily good at novels business. They don't have a good plan for novels, and they do not have a novel publishing expert on their team right now. It's not something they say they will never do again, it's just not their focus this year. They would consider a partnership, but they're not looking for it."




Yup, I'm with Caolin on this one.

I loved to read and to write, but then something happened. As I made my way through school, I kept getting handed books to read that didn't excite me and didn't even remotely connect to the realities of my life.- R. A. Salvatore

Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

682 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2017 :  22:56:51  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bravesteel

Yup, I'm with Caolin on this one.



Us profile pic brothers need to stick together!!
Go to Top of Page

Bravesteel
Seeker

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2017 :  22:57:53  Show Profile Send Bravesteel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

quote:
Originally posted by Bravesteel

Yup, I'm with Caolin on this one.



Us profile pic brothers need to stick together!!




I thought you looked familiar! ;)

I loved to read and to write, but then something happened. As I made my way through school, I kept getting handed books to read that didn't excite me and didn't even remotely connect to the realities of my life.- R. A. Salvatore

Go to Top of Page

mastermustard
Seeker

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2018 :  17:39:37  Show Profile Send mastermustard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do know that Keith Baker has been trying to get more Eberron support for awhile. I'd be happy with FR or Eberron novels, to be honest. Just give us something.
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
575 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2018 :  16:05:25  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any further news?

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!


"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1307 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2018 :  15:07:52  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John Daker

New D&D novels confirmed!

Not announced yet, but confirmed. They haven't been confirmed as new Forgotten Realms novels, just "D&D novels". But given that FR is the default setting for 5e, I'd be pretty surprised if none of the new novels in question is FR-based.

The info is buried near the end of the most recent "Fireside Chat" with Nathan Stewart. Here's the link: https://go.twitch.tv/videos/187340382

At 1:06:27 he answers the question:

"Will there be any new D&D novels in the future?"

And the answer is very exciting indeed:

"Yes there will. However, I'm not going to spoil the details on that. But we are working, and hopefully we should have some announcements in Q1 of next year. And those announcements aren't going to be like, 'Oh my god, we got things like multi-years off in the future' and whatnot. Our approach is to try and get everything buttoned up and done and dialed in before we announce. There still might be a lag-time between announcements and, you know, getting new stuff and whatnot, but we have been working on that in the background, we do have plans, we do have some concrete plans that are in the works. So the answer is yes, but we can't really talk about it until early next year."



I knew it would ultimately more then just Drizzt.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1307 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2018 :  15:11:55  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bravesteel

quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

Believe it when I see it.

quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

WotC's latest statement about novels: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?597471-The-State-of-D-amp-D-Products-Psionics-Settings-amp-More&p=7272865&viewfull=1#post7272865

Relevant part: "On Forgotten Realms novels: They feel the novel business is very tricky, and they are a game company. They're not necessarily good at novels business. They don't have a good plan for novels, and they do not have a novel publishing expert on their team right now. It's not something they say they will never do again, it's just not their focus this year. They would consider a partnership, but they're not looking for it."




Yup, I'm with Caolin on this one.



They found their partnership with Harper Collins, what I hear is the biggest publisher in the world. Perhaps this will bode well for future opportunities for tge Forgotten Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

682 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2018 :  17:29:05  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Harper Collins huh? Well maybe we can get some decent Realms audio books this time. I couldn't stand the voice actors form the past novels.
Go to Top of Page

Taleras
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2018 :  22:58:57  Show Profile Send Taleras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought Victor Bevine (I think that's his name) did a great job with the Drizzt and Cadderly books. I haven't really listened to many other Realms novels though, so maybe the other narrators aren't quite up to par.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

682 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2018 :  02:20:49  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Taleras

I thought Victor Bevine (I think that's his name) did a great job with the Drizzt and Cadderly books. I haven't really listened to many other Realms novels though, so maybe the other narrators aren't quite up to par.



Yeah, this is the guy that I didn't like. Although he does do voices for the characters, most of the time he was just reading rather than acting.....which I find really boring. I guess I've just been spoiled by Roy Dotrice, Jefferson Mays, Nigel Planer, & Marc Thompson.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
697 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2018 :  16:11:37  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
James Marsters was fantastic doing the Dresden Files on audio.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

Taleras
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2018 :  02:44:00  Show Profile Send Taleras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

Yeah, this is the guy that I didn't like. Although he does do voices for the characters, most of the time he was just reading rather than acting.....which I find really boring. I guess I've just been spoiled by Roy Dotrice, Jefferson Mays, Nigel Planer, & Marc Thompson.



Of those, I have only listened to Marc Thompson, but he is AMAZING!
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

682 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2018 :  06:01:17  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Taleras

quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

Yeah, this is the guy that I didn't like. Although he does do voices for the characters, most of the time he was just reading rather than acting.....which I find really boring. I guess I've just been spoiled by Roy Dotrice, Jefferson Mays, Nigel Planer, & Marc Thompson.



Of those, I have only listened to Marc Thompson, but he is AMAZING!



I would love for FR novels have someone like Marc Thompson be the voice of the Realms. Someone who really acts and not just reads the text. I also feel it needs to be read in a more serious manner. Some voice narrators can be a bit hokey with Fantasy.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000