Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Bard of Tempus
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2017 :  17:54:27  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey there fellow scribes. It has been a while since I visited these halls.

I am wondering if any of you know anything about bards of Tempus. I have this NPC who is part of the Church of Tempus and whose job is to sing about and tell tales of fallen heroes of war, lest they be forgotten. I feel like this is the kind of job that would be very importamnt for followers of Tempus, and maybe there is a canon order for such bards.

Thanks!

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2017 :  17:58:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I now want to start a band called The Battle Bards.

Sadly, I've no musical talent. But perhaps that is a good thing...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2017 :  19:30:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not aware of one, but then again, like Wooly, music is NOT 'my thing'.

However, the first thing that jumped into my mind was 'Skalds', which were a type of fighter-bard from Norse traditions.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2017 :  22:14:59  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

However, the first thing that jumped into my mind was 'Skalds', which were a type of fighter-bard from Norse traditions.

Yes, I thought of that as well. I was thinking more of a scribe-type of bard, who is more focused on the stories of Heroes than on being one himself.

I might just make up a Tempus Order for that purpose, dedicated to remembering and sharing great deeds of glory in battle. Or maybe it would make more sense in Oghma's church.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2017 :  02:07:52  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I now want to start a band called The Battle Bards.

Sadly, I've no musical talent. But perhaps that is a good thing...

A bard of Tempus may not require musical talent, lol.

I second the notion of Skalds. Epic sagas and conquests and glorious battles can enthrall audiences without twanging some fragile musical instrument. Skilled oration instead of skilled singing, chanting, whistling, hammy enactments and canny impersonations, not unlike the performance assets of a good DM. An armor-plated bard already has plenty of bits of metal he can use for percussive effect (to set a pace or to simulate the clash of arms). And, when part of any group or formation, he has plenty of "captive" audience interaction and involvement.

Glory to Tempus not by shouting his name over and over and louder and louder like any other idiot with a sword, but by glorifying the tales and accomplishments and struggles and sacrifices of those who fight in his name. A bard of Tempus could invoke inner conflicts through his characters, the "winner" and "loser" and "hero" and "villain" are all just smaller parts in a greater tale of the battle between them. Imagine the Trojan war, the Trojan Horse, Helen and Achilles and Ajax and Hector ... to a bard of Tempus this sort of tale is all about the glory of the immortal battle itself, achieved by all those who fought in it, whichever side they were on.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 07 Oct 2017 02:21:15
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2017 :  02:30:53  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check out the concept of the "blade" bard kit from the 2nd edition Complete Bard's Handbook as well. Granted, they are typically considered entertainers with like a travelling circus or somesuch, but they could just as easily be something akin to gladiators who put on a show. Take away the concept that they're travelling assassins and instead truly want to entertain through their weapon skill and I could see it.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2017 :  04:36:11  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is still a bit of an oddball choice. On the one hand there are professional and "less professional" warriors and armies throughout all history, from before the Ancient Greeks to today's national military corps, which bring music and battle together. Music has a traditional presence in warfare, it's often important for morale, though it's rarely been weaponized the way a D&D bard might wield it.

Easier for me to envision a bard of Tempus than a bard of Bane, lol.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 07 Oct 2017 04:37:49
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2017 :  06:07:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From a prior discussion that took an odd turn (aided and abetted by myself, most likely...):

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Baab would be the little-known (outside of Thay) Zulkir of Bardic magic.
He also used to worship Bhaal.

Baab, the bard, of Bhaal.

His parents weren't married, and his skill wasn't all that. This makes him Bahb the bastard, the bad bard of Bhaal.

He also had a strange facination for Gnomish lore.

Baab the bastard, bad Bard of Bhaal, best known for his Ballad of Blingdengstone.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2017 :  10:46:57  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps the epic bard from Mad Max: Fury Road might serve as inspiration, lol.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000