Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Spelljammer - Quad of Thay sources
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2017 :  00:17:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dragon 159, which had all those fun Spelljammer toys, also had an article called "Voidjammers!" -- the voidjammers were ships powered by lightly fried illithid brains, used for travel on the Astral plane.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

nblanton
Seeker

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2017 :  04:43:07  Show Profile Send nblanton a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure if it was mentioned already, but Volo's Guide to Mosnters mentions illithid nautiloids, but they are astral vessels.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2017 :  05:14:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nblanton

Not sure if it was mentioned already, but Volo's Guide to Mosnters mentions illithid nautiloids, but they are astral vessels.

They were originally spelljammers, though it makes sense that they'd have astral capabilities.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2017 :  12:32:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

They were originally spelljammers, though it makes sense that they'd have astral capabilities.

If their helms worked on psionic energy... yeah, I could buy that particular one.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
279 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2017 :  20:32:14  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
umm.... Only "realistic" solution I could think of, is having Spelljammer magic working, so long they bring their own energy to Earthspace. That is, they "work" if they can bring what make them work, to Earth. And Earthspace simply lacks any magical power or energy, it simply don't exist here like it do in Realmspace. It still could exist as a foreign object brought into Earthspace.

Btw: I assume we talk of a hypotherical "twin" Earth? Not if a Nautiloid Lifejammer could run on texas longhorn and sheep while upsetting USAF cruising with Wooly and Markus in series chairs?

Edit: the issue is almost the same, anyway. Maybe "twin earth" in Earthspace would be a D&D physics world, not a RL physics world, simply with almost no D&D magical energies for so long, people uses tech instead of magic? Whats the difference between the real and twin earths?

Edited by - Starshade on 25 Sep 2017 20:41:21
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2017 :  20:50:56  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster's portals or gates to Earth function, presumably on both ends because he's used them to visit and to get back. Earth has been categorically defined as "low magic", not "zero magic". The old lore never stated such things openly, but always hinted that Earth has (or has had) numerous connections to the D&D-verse and numerous manifestations of both arcane and divine magic.

And we're only assuming this technological spacecraft originated from Earth as a convenience. It could have come from any place and any time with has more Earth-like "physics" than D&D-like "physics". Since it is not necessarily Earth proper, we cannot assume spelljammers (and magic) would not function there. (As if we even really "know" spelljamming and magic doesn't work here, anyhow.)

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2017 :  02:23:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Edit: the issue is almost the same, anyway. Maybe "twin earth" in Earthspace would be a D&D physics world, not a RL physics world, simply with almost no D&D magical energies for so long, people uses tech instead of magic? Whats the difference between the real and twin earths?
I have always assumed that the 'D&D Earth' is the one from the Gothic Earth Gazeteer, which is a canon D&D product. Its based on Masque of the Red Death rules, which are an offshoot of Ravenloft rules, so its much more 'real world' than normal D&D, and has corresponding RW 'classes' - Soldier, Adept, Mystic, and Tradesman. But it also still has magic and monster - they just remain very hidden, like WoD. Its full name is MotRD: Terror in the 1890's, which makes it actually work better with the Space: 1889 flavor than the SJ one. It also works well with a lot of the WoD stuff, Cthuhu by Gaslight, and also Weird West/Deadlands (all covering the same time period, with a bunch of 'monsters & steampunk' thrown in).

Anyhow, 'Monsters & Magic', but not like most D&D worlds; its much more secret, and the evil is much more clandestine and refined (I've always wanted to play in or run a game set in that period - big fan of The League of Extraordinary Gentleman here). You can even borrow from movies like The brothers Grimm and Van Helsing, or series like His Dark Materials (Golden Compass), or TV series like Wild, Wild West (NOT the awful movie!)

Anyhow, a world where the governments know about monsters and stuff, but the common person does not. So also like Warehouse 13, Indiana Jones, or Torchwood (there was another - a British show I think - where they hid 'monsters' from the public; can't find the name right now). So like that - thats the 'D&D Earth'. I guess maybe DW would feel comfortable Spelljamming... lord knows he's done crazier crap.

Oh, and since someone mentioned Elminster's 'time portals' to Earth earlier in the conversation: We've had it backwards all along. The one to the 1890's was the 'current Earth'(the one from the Gothic Earth Gazeteer). When El visits Ed in his home, he is actually talking about the past of a century earlier (or, perhaps the wardrobe in his tower actually leads to Earth's 'future' - in other words, our time). Thus, 'Ed Greenwood' is still alive during the current 1490's game era, because it isn't that the setting has moved into the future, its just finally caught up to the current time. The one we read about in 1e/2e/3e happened over a hundred years ago, Toril-time. Nowhere in canon did it ever say our game material was 'current' to Earth time.

So now, that portal to Yellowstone makes a lot more sense.
Also, it means Hasbro didn't kill-off Ed.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Sep 2017 02:27:50
Go to Top of Page

nblanton
Seeker

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2017 :  04:07:11  Show Profile Send nblanton a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, we're going completely off topic, which was just about the Quad of Thay I think.

I really can't believe that the argument against Spelljammer is that there are unrealistic physics involved, not so much the magical operation of the ships, but the stuff that kept things somewhat simple. Really just for--lack of a better term--accounting sake of the DM.

Personally, I think that its an amazing solution to a lot of super complex issues that normally occur if you delve too deeply into most space SciFi. Newtonian gravity, fixed everything has the same acceleration constant, with the larger mass winning. Air envelopes are simply that, solar systems concise and contained to a useful size (honestly, I think that EVE Online basically used the same concept without explicitly creating the Flow by having the systems effectively isolated from each other and the gate mechanics).

I'm a nuclear engineer and I deal with math and physics all damn day long. Last thing I want to do as a DM is come anywhere close to that stuff. And yes, if the PCs want to shove cattle into a lifejammer, I say good on them!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2017 :  14:30:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wow, we're going completely off topic, which was just about the Quad of Thay I think.
<snip>
And yes, if the PCs want to shove cattle into a lifejammer, I say good on them!

Lol, and for once I don't think I was the one that made it happen.... um, maybe...

sidebar.... if you add barbecue sauce to a cow sitting in a lifejammer, will it slow roast it?

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 27 Sep 2017 14:32:38
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2017 :  15:44:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just kidnap a demigod (Immortal) and strap him in - free fuel forever.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2017 :  03:07:43  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Just kidnap a demigod (Immortal) and strap him in - free fuel forever.

This is exactly what happens in Alan Campbell's Deepgate Codex trilogy.

It's not much of a spoiler to reveal that this didn't really work out well for the airship vessel or its crew (or even its godlike "Archon" captain) after the demigod "angel" used to power the engines escaped her containment. Especially since this particular "angel" happened to a volatile, vengeful, mass-murdering psychopath before the experience, only "hardened" (transformed) by the trauma into an utterly insane, malevolent, and endlessly enraged "angel of destruction".

From a more practical perspective, an imprisoned "immortal" is functionally the same concept as an imprisoned artifact, with perhaps a more direct connection to deity-like allies and enemies.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

nblanton
Seeker

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2017 :  04:35:29  Show Profile Send nblanton a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there was the artifurnace, which is pretty much the best helm in the game.

You just had to have the artifurnace crafted specifically for the artifact that it was going to hold. Basically becoming an artifact itself.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2017 :  04:54:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought an artifurnace could use any artifact?

I didn't know each one had to be custom-made.

People need to start chopping more parts off Vecna.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2017 :  05:11:32  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Each arti-furnace is uniquely designed for a particular artifact, although it's reasonable to assume it has at least partial compatibility with other (similar) artifacts.

An arti-furnace is a magical item/construct (and a sort of "helm") so modifying it is not impossible, only "difficult" and "risky".

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

nblanton
Seeker

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2017 :  04:31:32  Show Profile Send nblanton a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The artifurnace was a good way to introduce an artifact into the campaign mcguffin style. No worries about having to deal with the actual use of the artifact, but have some group to want it back.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2017 :  04:57:21  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All the drawbacks with only half the paperwork!

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2390 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2017 :  23:31:28  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, there was the artifurnace, which is pretty much the best helm in the game.

IIRC there were different answers as to whether it's possible to use in the Flow, or will it just go kaboom like a common furnace, continuously until the artifurnace breaks aart and only the artifact will be left.
Of course, "no Flow travel" also means that this artifact won't leave the sphere where the parties aware of its existence and interested in it live (or un-live).
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

All the drawbacks with only half the paperwork!

"All the drawbacks" would include things like artifact transformation. With artifurnace, the artifact doesn't even keep the furnace operator (let alone the whole vessel) cursed. Almost boring.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2017 :  23:55:46  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wait! What?

Spelljamming helms/engines constrained to a single sphere? I'd forgotten that detail. Wildspace can offer endless adventure in itself. But being unable to go beyond the sphere seems to largely defeat the grandest purpose for installing such a device. But I suppose you do what you gotta do and adventurers can't always be picky.

It makes sense for most artifacts to be anchored within a given sphere, anyhow, since they're strongly tied to their histories and deities and whatnot. I'm sure that many exist which have less specific and more global scope, especially the (few) artifacts unique to the Spelljammer setting, and artifurnaces unique to these (which are capable of travelling through the Flow) must surely exist.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

nblanton
Seeker

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2017 :  02:06:09  Show Profile Send nblanton a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just checked my copy of The Concordance of Arcane Space regarding the artifurnace and one other thing about it is that the artifurnace and its associated artifact are indestructible while the two are together. Also, removal of the artifact destroys the artifurnace.

No mention of fire damage from use in the phlogiston, so my thoughts are they aren't like typical furnaces.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2017 :  04:23:10  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some artifacts are not "indestructible" in the usual sense. Some can suffer physical destruction, sometimes without much extraordinary effort, yet they somehow manage to reform or reappear somewhere else. Nether scrolls are a fine example, some of them have been burned, melted, or pounded into chunks of gold before, always to eventually be found (perfectly intact) somewhere else.

Artifurnaces might be named more metaphorically. I don't see any requirement for them to be actual furnaces which consume fuel through heat and flame. They might "burn" magical dweomers in some other sense. It makes me wonder if purely magical flames (faerie fire, darkfire, etc) would ignite phlogiston. I suppose, too, that an "indestructible" item would be made of "indestructible" materials, so it could be a lot easier to engineer seals and fixtures and chambers and conduits which never leak or fail. Compare to nuclear engines ("nuclear furnaces") we can make, their "fire" and power outputs are carefully controlled, with tons of redundant safeties, accidents happen and toxic waste is a byproduct, but overall they're entirely sealed and isolated systems which can operate "safely" in almost any environment (including outer space).

Are there any dead-magic or wild-magic zones in Realmspace? In any other spheres?

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 04 Oct 2017 06:00:23
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2017 :  12:47:52  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, so in reading realmspace to see if there are any magic dead/wild magic areas, just because I was as curious as Ayrik, I come across the "Skull of the Void". The "Skull of the Void" is a 12 mile high, 10 mile wide human skull that sits WAAAAYYYYY past all the planets in a stationary spot just 50 million miles from the crystal sphere (for comparison sakes, this is 3,150 million miles from the sun, and the closest planet is 1,550 million miles from it). Anyway, this giant human skull is filled with illithids who have captured around a hundred beholders and have been experimenting with them. I'd imagine that the new "mindwitness" from VGtMonsters originated with this colony. Anyway, so this colony has been experimenting with beholder brains to breed the ultimate beholder brain, but they've also been consuming beholder brains. This has resulted in these illithids gaining levitation, which is genetic and passed to offspring even if they haven't consumed illithid brains (and ironically causes other illithids to have animosity towards these illithids that are different... kind of like beholders of different types). Anyway, it says that these are the only things developed so far. So, that brings me to the point of this. Its now 130+ years later. Might there be some other genetic modifications? Perhaps a pair of extra "mouth tentacles" that actually are eyestalks? Perhaps a central third eye? Maybe their regular eyes are on stalks/antennae now? This might not all be from consuming brains, but may actually have come from grafting of sorts that has possibly bred true.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2017 :  12:56:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and the galleon nebula does possess wild magic. The color spray nebula can drain magic items (also can cure sickness or cause disease).

Also, in regards the previous post, there's also "the Seed Beholder Company" which cares for newborn beholders for the various beholder groups until they become viable (which is a very short term, like a month). I'd bet they are selling some of these on the sly to the illithids out at the "Skull of the Void" and claiming that the offspring died (even if its less than 1%).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2017 :  17:29:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Artifacts are NOT constrained to the spheres they are 'born' in. Some may be more likely to reappear elsewhere on the same world, but I would say they are far more likely to appear on another well-populated (typical fantasy) world in another sphere, then some 'dead' planet within the same sphere. Artifacts are , by their very nature, meant to 'appear' and cause problems (cursed or no - wars get fought over these things).

In fact (I just had an epiphany), I would say that perhaps they somehow get possessed or maybe 'controlled' (to a degree) by trickster gods, since they do have a capricious nature, whether intended or not. Maybe in the great 'divine scheme of things' thats actually the one important thing trickster gods are responsible for - keep the artifacts moving around. It could be an interesting 'deep secret' of D&D, in that anyone who discovers this may be able to influence how and when such things appear (I'm thinking about that new AP right now - the one with all the trickster gods... could there be a reason they were all gathered together?)

The Crown of Horns is an artifact now - could be Myrkul was turning into such a 'trickster vestige', until Ao forced him back out of there.

Also, they could be one good reason why some entities become multi-spheric. Would most of the crystal spheres even know about Vecna, if not for his hand and Eye? Think about it - if demi-power or even a full Power were to put some of its energy into a relic/artifact, and then 'sent it about the cosmos', it would slowly spread knowledge of the being through its existence.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2017 :  17:53:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The old Forgotten Realms Adventures doesn't definitively say they exist, but it does say dead magic areas can exist in Realmspace. The Realmspace book mentions some dead magic "sargassos" around the sun, but these do not function quite the same way a regular dead magic area does, especially with regards to what FRA says about dead magic areas and spelljamming helms.

Personally, I'd say that the dead and wild magic areas in the Realms are from the avatars being there, on Toril, and that both types of area would be rare to non-existent anywhere in Realmspace aside from Toril.

But that's just my thinking, with nothing official to back it up aside from the lack of mention of such areas in Realmspace. And as a further caveat, I'll further note that given how problematic and downright incorrect some of the Toril-specific info in Realmspace is, I don't consider that to be Realms canon. It is, officially, so far as I know, Realms canon, but it is my opinion that it should not be. At least the Toril-specific info, and maybe the Selûne info, as well. The rest of the book is fine -- it's just the Toril stuff that's really disconnected from Realmslore.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2017 :  13:15:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BTW, in 5e, the idea of mages transferring themselves to a younger body isn't that much of a problem to tell the truth. Granted that's 5e and not 3.5e. So, 3.5e might have required a blood relation, possibly even a child, as you were describing, which makes it more nefarious. From the 5e player's handbook on the Clone spell entry below

This spell grows an inert duplicate of a living creature as a safeguard against death. This clone forms inside a sealed vessel and grows to full size and maturity after 120 days; you can also choose to have the clone be a younger version of the same creature. It remains inert and endures indefinitely, as long as its vessel remains undisturbed.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2017 :  13:22:22  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Magical transference/possession has been around since 1E, along with clones and ways of avoiding magical aging (or at least ways of imposing the burden onto somebody else). Although these methods typically boiled down to stealing life (usually against the victim's/subject's will, of course), so they were decidedly evil, blood relation or not.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 05 Oct 2017 13:23:40
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2017 :  14:01:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
TSR actually shied away from such things, back in the day... From an older Ed response:

quote:
Hello again, all.
Markustay, what SORT (wink, giggle) of comment were you looking for, re. “Raw Ed”? After all these years, I can make SO many . . .
And yes, Ed did create archliches for LOST SHIPS (after obtaining design approval from the TSR designers of the day to include a “good lich” in the game, to support some good or at least benign to PCs liches that had appeared in fiction and game products).
As for this comment, from Wooly Rupert: “I've always thought the deliberate embrace of undeath was a bit of an odd option for cheating death. One idea I've always preferred was for a mage to transfer his consciousness into a specially-prepared automaton. The end result (no longer worrying about death, aging, and other physical frailities) is the same, plus the automaton body would be more durable, nicer to look at, and wouldn't be physically rotting away. I know if I wanted to last a few more centuries, I'd choose an option where my fingers falling off wouldn't be a concern...”
. . . Ed has a response, as follows:

I see nothing at all wrong with your reasoning, Wooly, and although Newt Ewell specifically asked me to add a brief “drow biomech” section to the original (2nd Ed) DROW OF THE UNDERDARK, the “official but secret” design directives of the time were to avoid all “android and robot” flavouring in AD&D® because TSR was planning a robot roleplaying game, PROTON FIRE. Longtime DRAGON® readers may recall that it was featured in the back pages of just one issue of the magazine, as a preview; the game was “killed” on the very brink of its release by TSR’s upper management. So, just like de-emphasizing psionics in the Realms because they were to be a cornerstone of Dark Sun®, we were told to avoid mechanical/robotic/android/bionic elements for the AD&D® game. THAT’S why the embrace of undeath rather than the “build your own new body.”
As for the alternative “clone or birth your own new body and then move into it” approach, THAT ran afoul of the internal Code of Ethics, TSR wanting to avoid further trouble with the religious Moral Majority stances of the day. For years - - as various Realms NPCs have aged - - I have flirted and toyed in my Realms fiction with exploring the ethical choices they make about how to prolong life (for those who wish to do so). I plan, editors willing, to do more of that in future fiction.

So saith Ed. Illuminating the design backrooms of the Realms and D&D® for us all.
love,
THO

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2017 :  18:13:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure how my discussion in the other (also inappropriate) thread migrated to this one, but to roll with it: My idea for that Dmitra Flass clone (and I am still toying with the very icky notion that it could very well be her own daughter... she wasn't exactly a saint) is that it would age and grow normally, not 'magically' (so no 'a20 days' thing), and the reasoning behind that is that Szass Tam would be looking for precisely that type (normal Clone spell) of contingency among his enemies (and by 'enemy', I mean every single living being in the universe who does not accept his will or authority over them).

So it is either "a clone thats not a clone" (grown at the normal rate, like a normal child), or is another child she can takeover at a certain time. That was my thinking, just for 'story purposes'.

HOWEVER, now that you've brought it to my attention a clone can be made to be younger, how about this - She DID do the 'normal clone' thing, just before the events of book II of the Haunted Lands, which I guesstimate took about a month (and if it did take longer, she could have started the process at any time during the novel, when she was off-camera). In fact, it even makes a lot of sense for having done so (it began to look like they could lose at that point). Then the Spellplague hits, and other stuff happens (probably too late for me to even be worrying about spoilers, but still...), and the rolling waves of 'Cerulean Energy' touch the growing clone and halt its progress. Now, you can say it went to Abier (your preference, Sleyvas), or you could say it was just hold-up in some cave or sme-such (my preference), or perhaps even hidden somewhere in Mulmaster, and for whatever reason, it was 'stuck', along with the magic that should have transferred Dmitra to it. Then Ao hits the big ol' RESET button, and she wakes... in an unfinished body (girl of about seven, or so).

Thing is, she still knows what she knows, and although she may have to practice her hand-signs... errr.. somatic components.. because of 'muscle memory', she still knows everything she knew (this was more of a mind-transference than a normal clone). The other caveat is that since she is in a new, young body, she wouldn't have acquired the stamina it would have taken her years to develop (since we don't have 'spell pts.', we'd have to represent this through some other means). Basically, she knows the spell, and can cast most of them with some practice, but she gets extremely tired very fast... she could never keep-up with an adult caster, even if they were of a lower class than her.

The funny thing is, that whole scenario works much better with the stamina system I came up with for magic (spells cost 1HP per spell level +1) - we need a way to simulate getting tired from over-casting (in my system, everyone got a D10 HP; barbarians got dam. reduction and fighters have much better means to 'protect' their HP).

And since we went WAY off-topic now, I'll try to steer this back just a little: Back when I use to hangout at the local SUNY campus (in HS - the game store I went to was right next to the college campus and I use to stay in the dorms with my college friends over the weekends), the campus dorms were all referred to as 'quads'. I don't know if that's standard for universities, or just SUNY Stonybrook, but now every time I read this thread title, my mind automatically thinks 'Dorms of Thay', and I start thinking about Thayan magical colleges... perhaps as an extension of Thay Enclaves (so, outside of Thay).

Like I said... not really on topic, but sort of related via the name.

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Oct 2017 18:14:02
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2017 :  23:41:28  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Not sure how my discussion in the other (also inappropriate) thread migrated to this one,

Lol, I just realized it too when I logged in..... man, I need sleep.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2017 :  23:48:06  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And just to try and steer the topic kind of back as well.... hmmmm, spelljaming Thayan colleges..... might be interesting to have portals from the floating enclave I'm figuring in orbit forporting students to another local tear of Selune for the express purpose of hurling magic in a safe environment. Picturing this one little asteroid full of blast marks.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000