Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 WotC survey on the future of D&D
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tarrok of Halruaa
Seeker

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2017 :  22:07:57  Show Profile Send Tarrok of Halruaa a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
On the Wizards of the Coast website there is a survey on the future of D&D. Whilst none of the questions refer to the novel line there is a chance for respondents to add further comments right at the end of the survey. I recommend using the final question to tell WotC to restart publishing new Forgotten Realms novels. The link to the survey is: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/dd-survey

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
30202 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2017 :  22:30:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I took the survey, and commented on wanting FR source material and novels -- and I noted it was the novels that first got me into the setting.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2017 :  23:26:25  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage  Send Adhriva an AOL message  Send Adhriva a Yahoo! Message Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Done and done

Professional illustrator and comic book artist.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2693 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2017 :  23:31:01  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Done

To all Facebook-using FR fans, you might be interested in checking out this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/450517575051806/
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3074 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2017 :  01:48:47  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The survey would impress me more if the questions were about what we'd like to see them publish instead of "What are you planning on buying?"

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2017 :  02:00:27  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I took it (saw it on FB). I also commented about wanting more novels.

@Ashe Ravenheart: I agree, but this survey was likely so they could get an idea of "what sells", and what people want product-wise.

Sweet water and light laughter

Edited by - CorellonsDevout on 27 Aug 2017 02:01:45
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Learned Scribe

Japan
338 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2017 :  04:29:36  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Done. Requested more novels, and a new FRCG.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
30202 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2017 :  04:49:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

The survey would impress me more if the questions were about what we'd like to see them publish instead of "What are you planning on buying?"



I did comment that they're not getting my gaming dollars until they give me more FR material.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2017 :  18:01:49  Show Profile  Send SirUrza an AOL message  Send SirUrza an ICQ Message Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Done. I note that the novels and classic CRPG drew me to the Realms and the abortion of all Realms materials and history is why they don't get my dollars.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
405 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2017 :  18:10:59  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Took it, comments were on FR novels and world supplements (as opposed to FR names on generic books) and PDF rulebook options to bring D&D into the current century the way every other major and minor RPG company aside from FFG has done. We'll see what we see, hopefully many others feel the way I do.

Edited by - idilippy on 27 Aug 2017 18:13:13
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
30202 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2017 :  18:31:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by idilippy

Took it, comments were on FR novels and world supplements (as opposed to FR names on generic books) and PDF rulebook options to bring D&D into the current century the way every other major and minor RPG company aside from FFG has done. We'll see what we see, hopefully many others feel the way I do.



That's a good point.

I think the immediate piracy of the 4E rulebooks scared the crap out of someone at WotC/Hasbro... We know they majorly overreacted to that; the lack of new material in pdf format could be a continuation of that overreaction.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
405 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2017 :  20:28:06  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, possibly, hopefully they figure out pirates are gonna pirate. It's not like there aren't pirated copies of 5e books out there anyways with their current policy. The only other major RPG I know of that isn't available in PDF format is Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars RPGs and I always figured those were licensing limited. It's their game and they'll do what they want to do but hopefully they've come around on the PDF front, given how much is available for older editions not on DMs Guild.

Edited by - idilippy on 27 Aug 2017 20:28:41
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2017 :  23:51:21  Show Profile  Send SirUrza an AOL message  Send SirUrza an ICQ Message Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by idilippy

The only other major RPG I know of that isn't available in PDF format is Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars RPGs and I always figured those were licensing limited.



They said as much during the original PRINT beta they put out. For whatever antiquated reason someone at licensing considered PDFs of the pen & paper game part of electronic gaming.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Edited by - SirUrza on 27 Aug 2017 23:53:09
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
405 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2017 :  00:16:40  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

quote:
Originally posted by idilippy

The only other major RPG I know of that isn't available in PDF format is Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars RPGs and I always figured those were licensing limited.



They said as much during the original PRINT beta they put out. For whatever antiquated reason someone at licensing considered PDFs of the pen & paper game part of electronic gaming.


Ok yeah I remember the print beta being a thing but didn't participate. Now that makes more sense (well, twisted illogic sense anyways).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
30202 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2017 :  02:58:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by idilippy

Yeah, possibly, hopefully they figure out pirates are gonna pirate. It's not like there aren't pirated copies of 5e books out there anyways with their current policy. The only other major RPG I know of that isn't available in PDF format is Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars RPGs and I always figured those were licensing limited. It's their game and they'll do what they want to do but hopefully they've come around on the PDF front, given how much is available for older editions not on DMs Guild.



WotC has come around, somewhat... The original reaction to 4E being pirated was "OMG! Our latest edition has been pirated! The only solution is to remove all legal sales of pdfs for all prior editions!"

...And that's not an exaggeration. That is literally what they did -- as well as (later) taking down the free pdfs they had on their own site (or moving the files and not updating any links; which is SOP for them).

They've since gone back and made prior edition pdfs available again -- but not thru Paizo, who they originally sold them thru. Which means that people like me, who bought pdfs thru Paizo with the agreement they would be downloadable again at any point, now have to make sure that we don't lose the files we'd already downloaded, because WotC overreacted to something inevitable.

I've bought a ton of TSR/WotC pdfs thru DriveThruRPG... But it still irks me that all those ones I paid Paizo for, I have to make sure I have backed up or I'm SOL if I lose them.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Merrith
Learned Scribe

135 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2017 :  05:41:54  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

The survey would impress me more if the questions were about what we'd like to see them publish instead of "What are you planning on buying?"



I did comment that they're not getting my gaming dollars until they give me more FR material.



I basically put it out there that the only settings/material I was interested in was FR. Primarily novels and sourcebooks...lord knows I could get lost for hours just reading old sourcebooks I have for tidbits of lore I had forgotten about that left open SO MUCH for stories to tell about it.

My final bit I added in was that if they weren't going to give us any more FR material, release Ed from all the NDA's and let him do a sourcebook revealing any and all tidbits of lore big and small he thinks we've all wanted to know about all these years.
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
405 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2017 :  18:29:02  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by idilippy

Yeah, possibly, hopefully they figure out pirates are gonna pirate. It's not like there aren't pirated copies of 5e books out there anyways with their current policy. The only other major RPG I know of that isn't available in PDF format is Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars RPGs and I always figured those were licensing limited. It's their game and they'll do what they want to do but hopefully they've come around on the PDF front, given how much is available for older editions not on DMs Guild.



WotC has come around, somewhat... The original reaction to 4E being pirated was "OMG! Our latest edition has been pirated! The only solution is to remove all legal sales of pdfs for all prior editions!"

...And that's not an exaggeration. That is literally what they did -- as well as (later) taking down the free pdfs they had on their own site (or moving the files and not updating any links; which is SOP for them).

They've since gone back and made prior edition pdfs available again -- but not thru Paizo, who they originally sold them thru. Which means that people like me, who bought pdfs thru Paizo with the agreement they would be downloadable again at any point, now have to make sure that we don't lose the files we'd already downloaded, because WotC overreacted to something inevitable.

I've bought a ton of TSR/WotC pdfs thru DriveThruRPG... But it still irks me that all those ones I paid Paizo for, I have to make sure I have backed up or I'm SOL if I lose them.


Yeah, I'm really glad I didn't buy any WotC pdfs from Paizo before the 4e takedown. I've also saved backup copies of everything WotC I've bought on DriveThruRPG in case history repeats itself.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
30202 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2017 :  19:46:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by idilippy


Yeah, I'm really glad I didn't buy any WotC pdfs from Paizo before the 4e takedown. I've also saved backup copies of everything WotC I've bought on DriveThruRPG in case history repeats itself.



I've got those files on multiple external drives, and I also have every hard drive I've ever retired in favor of a larger/newer one -- so I've got the files backed up fairly well. But it's the principle of it that tweaks me off.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
405 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2017 :  20:36:44  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I understand that. It shouldn't require extraordinary effort to be able to download something you've paid for.
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

508 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2017 :  16:48:04  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Which means that people like me, who bought pdfs thru Paizo with the agreement they would be downloadable again at any point, now have to make sure that we don't lose the files we'd already downloaded, because WotC overreacted to something inevitable.
To be fair, that is entirely Paizo's fault.

If their contract with WotC had any way at all that WotC could take away their right to distribute the WotC PDFs, they should have never promised their customers that their purchases would be downloadable again forever.

They might have thought that this clause would never actually be used by WotC, but they still promised something which they should have been aware of that they can't actually guarantee it.
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
405 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2017 :  16:59:49  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's Paizo's fault that WotC at the drop of a hat went: "you've got a day then your files can't be accessed ever again"? Ok, sure, definitely sounds like Paizo's fault and not a ridiculous policy of WotC.
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3463 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2017 :  18:18:25  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the reasons i dont use the dms guild is because i don trust WoTC not to pull the plug again

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

508 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2017 :  18:18:38  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by idilippy

It's Paizo's fault that WotC at the drop of a hat went: "you've got a day then your files can't be accessed ever again"? Ok, sure, definitely sounds like Paizo's fault and not a ridiculous policy of WotC.

Yes, if their contract with WotC contained a clause that allowed WotC to do that, it's their fault from making promises to their customers that this clause could turn unaccomplishable at any time.

There only three possibilites, and all of them are Paizo's fault:

a) They didn't realize there was a clause that gave WotC that right (not that they have not read it, just that they may have disagreed on what it actually meant until laywers/courts got to settle it)
-> better check your contracts

b) They thought that the clause was just as a final security meassure on WotC's part and they would never ever use it
-> so they know about this potential risk and just wrote it off as unlikely

c) WotC did not have such a right, but they chose to comply anyway, valuing future business relations with WotC higher than keeping their obligations to their current customers
-> I don't believe in this one, but that would make Paizo look the worst for sure

Bottom line: They promised something they could not be 100% sure they could keep. It doesn't matter what WotC did, WotC is solely responsible for their contract with Paizo. WotC bears no responsibility for contracts Paizo makes with third parties based on that contract.

If you have the sword of damocles over your head, better not make deals that depend on it never actually coming down on you.

Edited by - Mirtek on 29 Aug 2017 18:23:33
Go to Top of Page

charger_ss24
Learned Scribe

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2017 :  18:37:25  Show Profile Send charger_ss24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by idilippy


Yeah, I'm really glad I didn't buy any WotC pdfs from Paizo before the 4e takedown. I've also saved backup copies of everything WotC I've bought on DriveThruRPG in case history repeats itself.



I've got those files on multiple external drives, and I also have every hard drive I've ever retired in favor of a larger/newer one -- so I've got the files backed up fairly well. But it's the principle of it that tweaks me off.



I'd have physical copies stored somewhere as well. Because if you don't, you truly never have it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000