Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 WotC survey on the future of D&D

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Tarrok of Halruaa Posted - 26 Aug 2017 : 22:07:57
On the Wizards of the Coast website there is a survey on the future of D&D. Whilst none of the questions refer to the novel line there is a chance for respondents to add further comments right at the end of the survey. I recommend using the final question to tell WotC to restart publishing new Forgotten Realms novels. The link to the survey is: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/dd-survey
23   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
charger_ss24 Posted - 29 Aug 2017 : 18:37:25
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by idilippy

Yeah, I'm really glad I didn't buy any WotC pdfs from Paizo before the 4e takedown. I've also saved backup copies of everything WotC I've bought on DriveThruRPG in case history repeats itself.

I've got those files on multiple external drives, and I also have every hard drive I've ever retired in favor of a larger/newer one -- so I've got the files backed up fairly well. But it's the principle of it that tweaks me off.

I'd have physical copies stored somewhere as well. Because if you don't, you truly never have it.
Mirtek Posted - 29 Aug 2017 : 18:18:38
quote:

It's Paizo's fault that WotC at the drop of a hat went: "you've got a day then your files can't be accessed ever again"? Ok, sure, definitely sounds like Paizo's fault and not a ridiculous policy of WotC.

Yes, if their contract with WotC contained a clause that allowed WotC to do that, it's their fault from making promises to their customers that this clause could turn unaccomplishable at any time.

There only three possibilites, and all of them are Paizo's fault:

a) They didn't realize there was a clause that gave WotC that right (not that they have not read it, just that they may have disagreed on what it actually meant until laywers/courts got to settle it)
-> better check your contracts

b) They thought that the clause was just as a final security meassure on WotC's part and they would never ever use it
-> so they know about this potential risk and just wrote it off as unlikely

c) WotC did not have such a right, but they chose to comply anyway, valuing future business relations with WotC higher than keeping their obligations to their current customers
-> I don't believe in this one, but that would make Paizo look the worst for sure

Bottom line: They promised something they could not be 100% sure they could keep. It doesn't matter what WotC did, WotC is solely responsible for their contract with Paizo. WotC bears no responsibility for contracts Paizo makes with third parties based on that contract.

If you have the sword of damocles over your head, better not make deals that depend on it never actually coming down on you.
Gary Dallison Posted - 29 Aug 2017 : 18:18:25
One of the reasons i dont use the dms guild is because i don trust WoTC not to pull the plug again
idilippy Posted - 29 Aug 2017 : 16:59:49
It's Paizo's fault that WotC at the drop of a hat went: "you've got a day then your files can't be accessed ever again"? Ok, sure, definitely sounds like Paizo's fault and not a ridiculous policy of WotC.
Mirtek Posted - 29 Aug 2017 : 16:48:04
quote:

Which means that people like me, who bought pdfs thru Paizo with the agreement they would be downloadable again at any point, now have to make sure that we don't lose the files we'd already downloaded, because WotC overreacted to something inevitable.
To be fair, that is entirely Paizo's fault.

If their contract with WotC had any way at all that WotC could take away their right to distribute the WotC PDFs, they should have never promised their customers that their purchases would be downloadable again forever.

They might have thought that this clause would never actually be used by WotC, but they still promised something which they should have been aware of that they can't actually guarantee it.
idilippy Posted - 28 Aug 2017 : 20:36:44
Yeah, I understand that. It shouldn't require extraordinary effort to be able to download something you've paid for.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Aug 2017 : 19:46:59
quote:

Yeah, I'm really glad I didn't buy any WotC pdfs from Paizo before the 4e takedown. I've also saved backup copies of everything WotC I've bought on DriveThruRPG in case history repeats itself.

I've got those files on multiple external drives, and I also have every hard drive I've ever retired in favor of a larger/newer one -- so I've got the files backed up fairly well. But it's the principle of it that tweaks me off.
idilippy Posted - 28 Aug 2017 : 18:29:02
quote:

quote:

Yeah, possibly, hopefully they figure out pirates are gonna pirate. It's not like there aren't pirated copies of 5e books out there anyways with their current policy. The only other major RPG I know of that isn't available in PDF format is Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars RPGs and I always figured those were licensing limited. It's their game and they'll do what they want to do but hopefully they've come around on the PDF front, given how much is available for older editions not on DMs Guild.

WotC has come around, somewhat... The original reaction to 4E being pirated was "OMG! Our latest edition has been pirated! The only solution is to remove all legal sales of pdfs for all prior editions!"

...And that's not an exaggeration. That is literally what they did -- as well as (later) taking down the free pdfs they had on their own site (or moving the files and not updating any links; which is SOP for them).

They've since gone back and made prior edition pdfs available again -- but not thru Paizo, who they originally sold them thru. Which means that people like me, who bought pdfs thru Paizo with the agreement they would be downloadable again at any point, now have to make sure that we don't lose the files we'd already downloaded, because WotC overreacted to something inevitable.

I've bought a ton of TSR/WotC pdfs thru DriveThruRPG... But it still irks me that all those ones I paid Paizo for, I have to make sure I have backed up or I'm SOL if I lose them.

Merrith Posted - 28 Aug 2017 : 05:41:54
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

The survey would impress me more if the questions were about what we'd like to see them publish instead of "What are you planning on buying?"

I did comment that they're not getting my gaming dollars until they give me more FR material.

I basically put it out there that the only settings/material I was interested in was FR. Primarily novels and sourcebooks...lord knows I could get lost for hours just reading old sourcebooks I have for tidbits of lore I had forgotten about that left open SO MUCH for stories to tell about it.

My final bit I added in was that if they weren't going to give us any more FR material, release Ed from all the NDA's and let him do a sourcebook revealing any and all tidbits of lore big and small he thinks we've all wanted to know about all these years.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Aug 2017 : 02:58:37
quote:

Yeah, possibly, hopefully they figure out pirates are gonna pirate. It's not like there aren't pirated copies of 5e books out there anyways with their current policy. The only other major RPG I know of that isn't available in PDF format is Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars RPGs and I always figured those were licensing limited. It's their game and they'll do what they want to do but hopefully they've come around on the PDF front, given how much is available for older editions not on DMs Guild.

WotC has come around, somewhat... The original reaction to 4E being pirated was "OMG! Our latest edition has been pirated! The only solution is to remove all legal sales of pdfs for all prior editions!"

...And that's not an exaggeration. That is literally what they did -- as well as (later) taking down the free pdfs they had on their own site (or moving the files and not updating any links; which is SOP for them).

They've since gone back and made prior edition pdfs available again -- but not thru Paizo, who they originally sold them thru. Which means that people like me, who bought pdfs thru Paizo with the agreement they would be downloadable again at any point, now have to make sure that we don't lose the files we'd already downloaded, because WotC overreacted to something inevitable.

I've bought a ton of TSR/WotC pdfs thru DriveThruRPG... But it still irks me that all those ones I paid Paizo for, I have to make sure I have backed up or I'm SOL if I lose them.
idilippy Posted - 28 Aug 2017 : 00:16:40
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

quote:

The only other major RPG I know of that isn't available in PDF format is Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars RPGs and I always figured those were licensing limited.

They said as much during the original PRINT beta they put out. For whatever antiquated reason someone at licensing considered PDFs of the pen & paper game part of electronic gaming.

Ok yeah I remember the print beta being a thing but didn't participate. Now that makes more sense (well, twisted illogic sense anyways).
SirUrza Posted - 27 Aug 2017 : 23:51:21
quote:

The only other major RPG I know of that isn't available in PDF format is Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars RPGs and I always figured those were licensing limited.

They said as much during the original PRINT beta they put out. For whatever antiquated reason someone at licensing considered PDFs of the pen & paper game part of electronic gaming.
idilippy Posted - 27 Aug 2017 : 20:28:06
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Aug 2017 : 18:31:31
quote:

Took it, comments were on FR novels and world supplements (as opposed to FR names on generic books) and PDF rulebook options to bring D&D into the current century the way every other major and minor RPG company aside from FFG has done. We'll see what we see, hopefully many others feel the way I do.

That's a good point.

I think the immediate piracy of the 4E rulebooks scared the crap out of someone at WotC/Hasbro... We know they majorly overreacted to that; the lack of new material in pdf format could be a continuation of that overreaction.
idilippy Posted - 27 Aug 2017 : 18:10:59
Took it, comments were on FR novels and world supplements (as opposed to FR names on generic books) and PDF rulebook options to bring D&D into the current century the way every other major and minor RPG company aside from FFG has done. We'll see what we see, hopefully many others feel the way I do.
SirUrza Posted - 27 Aug 2017 : 18:01:49
Done. I note that the novels and classic CRPG drew me to the Realms and the abortion of all Realms materials and history is why they don't get my dollars.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Aug 2017 : 04:49:56
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

The survey would impress me more if the questions were about what we'd like to see them publish instead of "What are you planning on buying?"

I did comment that they're not getting my gaming dollars until they give me more FR material.
BenN Posted - 27 Aug 2017 : 04:29:36
Done. Requested more novels, and a new FRCG.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 27 Aug 2017 : 02:00:27
I took it (saw it on FB). I also commented about wanting more novels.

@Ashe Ravenheart: I agree, but this survey was likely so they could get an idea of "what sells", and what people want product-wise.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 27 Aug 2017 : 01:48:47
Irennan Posted - 26 Aug 2017 : 23:31:01
Done
Adhriva Posted - 26 Aug 2017 : 23:26:25
Done and done
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Aug 2017 : 22:30:04
I took the survey, and commented on wanting FR source material and novels -- and I noted it was the novels that first got me into the setting.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000