Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Current state of the Red Wizards and Szass Tam
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2017 :  18:16:31  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay, so I've been away awhile on other things - moving out-of-state, working on an imprint, etc...so I've missed a LOT.

What is the CURRENT 1479DR state of the Red Wizards and especially Szass Tam post the events of Dead in Thay? Does Szass even still exist?

Working on an interesting adventure idea involving Szass and a soon-to-be revealed power group that worship a recently returned deity that LOVES undead...any help would be appreciated.

Now plugging away on mass conversion to 5e, as well as my imprint J. Halk Games.

http://www.facebook.com/JHalkGames

First adventure on DM Guild: Lair of Elaacrimalicros

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2729 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2017 :  21:17:54  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The current year is 1491, Tam rules Thay, there's still a council of Zulkirs, and the living can now advance in ranks among the Red Wizards (fixed spelling).

To all Facebook-using FR fans, you might be interested in checking out this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/450517575051806/

Edited by - Irennan on 08 Jul 2017 15:46:59
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
6094 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2017 :  23:38:14  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joebing

Okay, so I've been away awhile on other things - moving out-of-state, working on an imprint, etc...so I've missed a LOT.

What is the CURRENT 1479DR state of the Red Wizards and especially Szass Tam post the events of Dead in Thay? Does Szass even still exist?

Working on an interesting adventure idea involving Szass and a soon-to-be revealed power group that worship a recently returned deity that LOVES undead...any help would be appreciated.



Velsharoon or Myrkul?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
744 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2017 :  01:31:02  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the adventures there seems to be a relatively strong anti-Tam movement among Red Wizard expatriates. These rebel Red Wizards obviously came up in Dead in Thay which you mention, but they're also a main antagonist group in Rise of Tiamat. In the latter adventure, the heroes can even venture to Thay (one controlled location) to bargain with Tam's Red Wizards, who want the rebels dead dead.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
6094 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2017 :  15:14:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

From the adventures there seems to be a relatively strong anti-Tam movement among Red Wizard expatriates. These rebel Red Wizards obviously came up in Dead in Thay which you mention, but they're also a main antagonist group in Rise of Tiamat. In the latter adventure, the heroes can even venture to Thay (one controlled location) to bargain with Tam's Red Wizards, who want the rebels dead dead.



You know, its kind of funny how you worded that.... if one would consider me a red wizard expatriate.... part of my United Tharchs idea is the creation of a struggle not necessarily to oust Tam from Thay, as much as pull his living humans into their new empire. This would leave Tam's followers without humans to prey upon and could readily encourage the surrounding empires to actually turn on him finally and limit his power.

As I see it, the Thayans wouldn't want the ruined land that Tam created only in the last 12 years when his dread ring ritual went awry.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2017 :  22:17:30  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

The current year is 1491, Tam rules Thay, there's still a council of Zulkirs, and the living can now advance in ranks among the Red Wizards (fixed spelling).



My bad on the year, it's been a long year for me.

quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

From the adventures there seems to be a relatively strong anti-Tam movement among Red Wizard expatriates. These rebel Red Wizards obviously came up in Dead in Thay which you mention, but they're also a main antagonist group in Rise of Tiamat.



So Tam's Red Wizards are weakened, maybe seeking an alliance with another power group/faction? (Rise of Tiamat is on my list. Have HotDQ, SKT, TftYP so far.)

quote:
Originally posted by Sleyvas

Velsharoon or Myrkul?



Neither...another deity that "died" in 3.5, missed 4e, was brought back in 5e.

Now plugging away on mass conversion to 5e, as well as my imprint J. Halk Games.

http://www.facebook.com/JHalkGames

First adventure on DM Guild: Lair of Elaacrimalicros
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2729 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2017 :  00:10:35  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joebing

Neither...another deity that "died" in 3.5, missed 4e, was brought back in 5e.



Kiaransalee is the only one that comes to mind (edit: looking at your profile icon, I feel like cpt obvious now, lol)

To all Facebook-using FR fans, you might be interested in checking out this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/450517575051806/

Edited by - Irennan on 09 Jul 2017 00:11:14
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
6094 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2017 :  04:15:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joebing

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

The current year is 1491, Tam rules Thay, there's still a council of Zulkirs, and the living can now advance in ranks among the Red Wizards (fixed spelling).



My bad on the year, it's been a long year for me.

quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

From the adventures there seems to be a relatively strong anti-Tam movement among Red Wizard expatriates. These rebel Red Wizards obviously came up in Dead in Thay which you mention, but they're also a main antagonist group in Rise of Tiamat.



So Tam's Red Wizards are weakened, maybe seeking an alliance with another power group/faction? (Rise of Tiamat is on my list. Have HotDQ, SKT, TftYP so far.)

quote:
Originally posted by Sleyvas

Velsharoon or Myrkul?



Neither...another deity that "died" in 3.5, missed 4e, was brought back in 5e.



Ah, Kiaransalee. Interesting.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2017 :  15:07:37  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Think about it. a natural alliance could exist between Szass and a group of Kiaransalee drow, especially one led by a lich. Two power groups, led by lich, that are struggling. Good long-term plot, like a start slow, build the campaign with intrigue.

Now plugging away on mass conversion to 5e, as well as my imprint J. Halk Games.

http://www.facebook.com/JHalkGames

First adventure on DM Guild: Lair of Elaacrimalicros
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
6094 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2017 :  23:58:56  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joebing

Think about it. a natural alliance could exist between Szass and a group of Kiaransalee drow, especially one led by a lich. Two power groups, led by lich, that are struggling. Good long-term plot, like a start slow, build the campaign with intrigue.




Yeah, and Undrek'Thoz does have a city with a focus on undead in Vrasl, beneath the Sunrise Mountains, which is where the Atropal named Xingax kept his lab.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000