Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Undarl
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
148 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2017 :  12:06:44  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all,

Came across scroll that mentioned that Undarl was in fact Malaug, the first malaugrym. From what source this information is? Also is there any more information to be had about Malaug?

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2017 :  17:41:50  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's first mentioned in the 1998 Villains Lorebook.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2017 :  17:50:29  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I recall this was revealed in the discussion on "Elminster: The Making of a Mage" in the exclusive "Annotated Elminster" hardcover by Ed Greenwood.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2017 :  18:40:21  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was guessed by several people back when the book came out. I actually asked Ed about it in maybe 2004 or 2005 in one of the early years of the Ask Ed threads, and he gleefully confirmed it.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
148 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2017 :  06:34:02  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

As I recall this was revealed in the discussion on "Elminster: The Making of a Mage" in the exclusive "Annotated Elminster" hardcover by Ed Greenwood.

-- George Krashos

Thanks! Just re-read Making of Mage, and it was not revealed there. Also i re-read shadows of avatar trilogy, it seems that Malaugs legend has outgrewn him, as Dahlgrave was actually a lot more menacing than Undarl ever was.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2017 :  09:02:03  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There were mentions he was a malaugrym elsewhere.

quote:
Originally posted by Madpig

Just re-read Making of Mage, and it was not revealed there. Also i re-read shadows of avatar trilogy, it seems that Malaugs legend has outgrewn him, as Dahlgrave was actually a lot more menacing than Undarl ever was.

Undarl managed to avoid being exposed for decades, in a rough-and-tumble and magic-rich environment. and was revealed as a shapeshifter only when about to be overcooked either way.
He shouldn't be very "menacing" as one, but not because he's not competent enough.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000