Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Human Migration, and a Days of Thunder gif
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2017 :  14:25:26  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
From our discussions about pantheons and such in other threads, I've been thinking about how the different human groups got where they are. As part of an ongoing project, I'm mapping out ancient Toril and having a guess at where I think people might have ended up.

I've created a gif of major migration patterns during the Days of Thunder. The human migrations are a guess: the "Maztican" migration is from one of BRJ's replies here, whereas I just made up the Golden Lands one. As it's the Days of Thunder, the main migrations seen in the gif are of the other Creator Races. The arrows only represent large-scale trends, smaller migrations would be going on all the time in many more directions.

Days of Thunder GIF

Any thoughts on migration patterns, human or otherwise, is welcome, as are any opinions on the gif.

Edit: For those who don't know the source for most of this stuff, it's from Grand History of the Realms.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North

Edited by - KanzenAU on 09 May 2017 14:32:03

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2017 :  12:57:49  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like it. One of the things I'm throwing in there is otherworldly migrations between Abeir and Toril. By that, I mean that I'm having many of the humans of Katashaka get transferred to Abeir. They end up on Osse. Later Osse transfers to Toril from Abeir (and it may very well be that this is where the humans of Zakhara come from as well). Then you have the "spelljammers" and the actual planar travelers, etc...

The more I've thought about it, it wouldn't surprise me if many of the early human cultures we've come to know that had little knowledge of magic actually got transferred from Abeir to Toril, such that their migrations may have been over in Abeir. We have canonical evidence that humans exist in Abeir, so we can use it to explain a lot of mysteries. For instance, having some of the "Viking-like" folk that we might want coming from a culture that had to oppose dragonkind in Abeir and then found themselves in Toril would fit, etc...

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2017 :  03:51:23  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did the Dawn Ages. Next comes the First Flowering and the Crown Wars.

Dawn Ages GIF

Edit:
And a combined GIF of the Days of Thunder and the Dawn Ages.

Days of Thunder and Dawn Ages GIF

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North

Edited by - KanzenAU on 14 May 2017 04:00:50
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000