Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dragontree map, canon accurate or fanfiction?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2017 :  09:21:27  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all,

I ran across this so-called Dragon Tree (map) diagram, linked from WOTC's own website. Nothing states that this diagram is from a published source (e.g. an actual D&D rulesbook) and thus canonically accurate or official in any way.

So I'm wondering…. is it at least partially accurate? Does it get most things right? Or should it just be considered one artist's interpretation? Link to graphic is below. Also linked is the source article from WOTC's website. Keep in mind that this giant diagram supposedly lists dragons from the huge D&D Multiverse, and is not limited solely to Faerun.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/green-dragon

http://media.wizards.com/2014/images/dnd/articles/Toon_DragonMap.jpg

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2017 :  10:22:38  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the map is part of this cartoon (that is in the same article you linked above)
http://media.wizards.com/2014/images/dnd/articles/Toon_GreenDragon.jpg

So, dunno if we can really take it seriously. However, that cartoon explains the map better.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2017 :  12:23:05  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right. It was part of a cartoon. But if you look at the dragon lineage map, it seems like he did some extensive thinking just to diagram it all out. So did the artist do some in-depth D&D lore research in order to come up with this map? I really don't know enough about dragon ancestry to tell if this is pure fanfiction that he made up on the fly, or if it's a half-legit illustration.
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2017 :  12:48:19  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The comic is set in Eberron, FWIW. No, wait, it also mentions Faerūn.

The 2nd-edition Draconomicon for the Realms presented a similar, but much simpler dragon family tree. That was an evolutionary family tree, while this cartoon seems more about organisation. It probably won't include the eodraco, for example:
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Eodraco

BadCatMan, B.Sc. (Hons), M.Sc.
Scientific technical editor
Head DM of the Realms of Adventure play-by-post community
Administrator of the Forgotten Realms Wiki

Edited by - BadCatMan on 30 Mar 2017 12:51:10
Go to Top of Page

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
279 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2017 :  14:59:46  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That tree makes Gem Dragons related to sun and moon dragons from Spelljammer, which I don't know enough about to judge. But, they are outside of both "true dragons" and "false dragons". Felldrakes is listed as "true dragons", who might work. One oddity is the word "Drake" belong to two unrelated branches, but that exists in real life too(Vultures). I think it looks good, but I don't know enough of the dragons there to really judge. Certainly looks good enough to exist in-game as a crazy wizard's research project, specially if that wizard have been off world and travelled the planes.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2017 :  15:37:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regardless of its canonicity, its still an amazing amount of research/work.

Personally, I would have place Oriental dragons (Lung) somewehere between planer and terrestrial, but its all good.

Thanks for sharing.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000