Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 nagas
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  02:08:47  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Where do nagas come from? I know a few things about their powers, but do they have a home plane or region? Are there communities of nagas, or do they tend to live alone, like dragons? Do the good-aligned nagas ally themselves with any mortal do-gooders? So far, all I've found are a few mentions of them working for various villans, but the good and neutral ones have to be out there somewhere, and I'd like to know what they're doing, and if they could be integrated as allied or enemies.

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.

Teflon
Seeker

60 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  04:22:59  Show Profile  Visit Teflon's Homepage Send Teflon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the up-coming serpent kingdoms book should have some detailed history fo the naga. Also theres a place called nagawater where the naga made a agreement with humans over terrotoral gains in the waters. So one could assume they would be willing to ally should the need arise.

In any battle, the mightiest weapon is one that strikes unseen.

A Warrior or Wizard may be invincible in open battle, with their foes before them, but even they must sleep sometime, and cannot parry the knife that comes from behind.

-The life of a assassin.

Edited by - Teflon on 06 Apr 2004 04:26:18
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  04:40:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Surprisingly, there appears to be little information online concerning Nagas.

Since I currently don't have access to my file of bookmarks, here's two links that may help -

Nagas
Brine Naga

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  09:16:23  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, nice link with that first one. I do like a good beastiary.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  12:16:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is a rather useful resource.

I rely on it quite a bit, especially for those PS campaigns that I create, based around the usage of the more traditional creature themes.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  15:32:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sourcemaster2

Where do nagas come from?

Well, when two nagas love each other very much...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2004 :  23:46:48  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are there specific naga gods, or do they worship the draconic deities? Also, does anyone know of any naga communities?

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2004 :  23:53:23  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Are there specific naga gods, or do they worship the draconic deities? Also, does anyone know of any naga communities?

Parrafaire, a CN naga demipower of Guardianship. It doesn't say what align it's worshippers are. In the Wheel/Ring it resides in Carceri/Minethys/Trickster's Delight.

Shekinester, a N naga greater power of Destruction, Knowledge, Creation Maintenance. It's worshippers are N, CE, LG. In the Wheel/Ring it resides in the Outlands/the Court of Light.

This info comes from On Hallowed Ground, a 2e Planescape sourcebook on the powers.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  05:12:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah Shekinester, every naga's favorite Three-Faced Queen...

Skekinester sits within her domain, brooding about the naga race, and constantly testing and guiding the individual fates of her many 'children'. The Three-Faced Queen has a fascination with purging and improving all those who come to visit her, mainly by way of her tests. These tests are special hazards within the Court of Light that a visitor must overcome. These tests can range from the very subtle, to the heavy-handed, and whether the visitor has good intentions or not, all find themselves 'tested' at some point.

Go to Top of Page

Jacinth Greyfox
Acolyte

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2004 :  10:17:57  Show Profile  Visit Jacinth Greyfox's Homepage Send Jacinth Greyfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sourcemaster, Orinetal Adventures (OA) has some interesting Nagas you could use. On OA P172 - 175 there are descriptions of five types of Naga each with their own role in Naga Society, Naga Characters and this strange alien races peculiar belief system the Akasha or Eternal Mind.

The Throne or the Tomb!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2004 :  10:40:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a little more information on the Oriental Adventures version of the standard Naga -
quote:
Naga: The naga are serpentine creatures with a human-shaped torso topped by a human head. They are powerful, ancient creatures that are said to have been living in Rokugan since before humans were dropped from the heavens. A mysterious race, the naga often hibernate and wait for some unknown event to occur when they will all arise from their slumber and fulfill the destiny that they have been preparing for. Still, some do not sleep, preferring to live their lives instead of doze them away. These can be found in the Shinomen forest.

There are five different bloodlines of the Shinomen Nagas: the chameleon, the asp, the greensnake, the cobra, and the constrictor. Besides having a different appearance, each also plays a different and distinct role in the naga culture. But despite their differences, the five distinct bloodlines have many things in common. Chief among those is their basic shape. All nagas have a serpentine tail and a humanlike waist and upper body. They also speak their own language, but most of the time they prefer to communicate through the use of a telepathic bond that all of their race share. The nagas call this collective consciousness the "Akasha." It is said that through this bond, all memories of the entire species, past and present, are shared among all naga alive today.

Greensnakes are the most numerous of the five. Of the naga, they are the smallest variety, but what they lack in physical size they make up for in intelligence. Naturally fast learners, the greensnake often play the role of diplomat, bridging the gap between the enigmatic snakelike race and the often warlike humans.

Asps are the warriors of the naga world. They are larger than the greensnake, sometimes reaching 20 feet in length and a weight of 800 pounds (nearly twice the size of their more numerous greensnake cousins). Though there are fewer of them than their diplomat relatives, the asp are also a very robust bloodline. They are the second most common of all the naga in Rokugan.

Cobras are the spellcasters. Often as long and as large as the asp, cobras are practitioners of what is known as "Pearl Magic." Of the five bloodlines, the cobra are the most likely to develop mutations, meaning that their humanlike upper body will take on more snakelike qualities such as a viper's hood, long serpentine tongues, snakelike eyes, or natural claws.

Constrictors play the roles of mystics, astrologers, and priests. They are also the largest of any of the five naga bloodlines, often reaching a length of 30 feet and weighing up to 1,200 pounds. Despite this obvious size advantage, the constrictors are the most peaceful of the serpentine race. They take on peacekeeping responsibilities and frequently become magistrates in naga society, upholding the laws of their kind.

The chameleons are aquatic naga. They can live quite comfortably both above and below water. As you might guess, the chameleons also have the ability to change the color of their scales to perfectly match their surroundings.

It's certainly interesting material, which could perhaps be useful, for a more Eastern, cultural-flavoured Realms-campaign.

That is, if you use the OA tome for your Kara-Turan settings, rather than the older 2e eastern Realms material...

Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2004 :  18:42:30  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Sage. That looks quite interesting, especially the idea of a caste system within the species. Do you know what alignment these nagas are, and who they worship?

Go to Top of Page

arilyn742
Seeker

Ireland
54 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  00:44:36  Show Profile  Visit arilyn742's Homepage Send arilyn742 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At last, a chance for Arilyn the Agnostic to show her quality...

quote:

Do you know what alignment these nagas are, and who they worship?

They are usually Lawful Neutral. In Rokugan, at least, (which may not be of much use in FR, but still...):

quote:
The culture of the nagas revolves around the Akasha - at once a communal mind, a racial memory, and a divine being (or at least part of a divine being called Atman). The social castes of naga society - the vedics, the warriors, the scouts and the jaklas - are defined by their relationship with the Akasha, the Eternal Mind. All the castes are guided by the Akasha, and all contribute their learning about the world to the Akasha.

I'm not quite sure what this means myself, but it seems to be the best answer to your question that 3E OA can give...

Yonde iru, mune no doko ka oku de
Itsumo kokoro odoru yume wo mitai
Kanashimi wa kazoekirenai keredo
Sono mukou de kitto anata ni aeru
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  04:44:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually there are examples of Lawful Evil nagas, the Brine Naga I believe, but I'll have to find the link...

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  15:32:49  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dark nagas are lawful evil and originally specifically created for the Realms by Ed (to be agents/allies of the Zhentarim methinks). They first appeared in one of the old Dragon Creature Catalog articles ... a long time ago.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  03:21:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I remember those. Weren't they also detailed in one of the Ecologies as well...?

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  05:12:22  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are mentioned in the EE: Serpent Hills accessory but not given stats. Serpent Kingdoms will fix that however - in a big way.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  05:36:52  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the novels, all I've seen are evil nagas. Are good or neutral nagas rarer, or have they just not been shown yet?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  06:40:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guardian Nagas are usually lawful good, while Water Nagas are neutral.

There are also the Spotted Nagas, from the Narajan setting. They are lawful good when they are young and protect innocent creatures. Although, as they age they turn to lawful evil and the Nagas protective nature turns to a controlling one.

Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  19:21:10  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A life cycle that switches alignment? That's interesting. I don't think I've ever heard of that before(although, quite a few old people I know are fairly chaotic evil)

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2018 :  18:37:52  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe Sourcemaster2,

You are in luck, here you go:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Naga

Additionally, you can check out the D&D 3.5 Monster Manual, as well as the Forgotten Realms Accessory, Serpent Kingdoms.

Best regards,

quote:

Where do nagas come from? I know a few things about their powers, but do they have a home plane or region? Are there communities of nagas, or do they tend to live alone, like dragons? Do the good-aligned nagas ally themselves with any mortal do-gooders? So far, all I've found are a few mentions of them working for various villans, but the good and neutral ones have to be out there somewhere, and I'd like to know what they're doing, and if they could be integrated as allied or enemies.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000