Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Where to put Nentir Vale on the Sword Coast?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2017 :  04:29:20  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you can't find a hardcopy then I think Paizo does still sell the pdf:
http://paizo.com/products/btpy7zjw/discuss?Dragon-Issue-307

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2017 :  05:13:36  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I keep forgetting to ask about something (I'm all over the place mentally today), every time I come back to this thread - The Black Moor Bog, which I had thought was a new lake on the larger map, but turns out to be a... well... BOG... on the Dessarin Valley Map (PotA). So, any info on this as well? I unfortunately connected it to the little lake on the Nentir Map (that wound up very close by, and it seemed like a cool idea at the time), but if its more like a swamp, that won't work (as well). I have so many new, little swamps/marshes in this area, I really hate having yet another (although, I suppose it makes a lot of sense - must be a lot of clay in the soil in that region).

You mean Lake Wintermist? That lake is not fully detailed in canon NV, either. All I know is that the town of Mistwatch is in the southern shore (a town that, by the time the NV campaign starts, is in the process to be "eaten" by the Mists of Ravenloft and transformed into a Domain of Dread because the leader of the town did something really, really bad to his wife). And that the place is covered in cold mist all year round regardless of season, and is a favorite spot for white dragons to mate. Also, a pair of troll twin siblings live nearby.

If you like the idea of a cold, tundra-like swamp, the Black Maw Bog can fit nice in the forest area to the north. Canon Winterbole Forest is stated to be a mess of such mixed terrains.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 27 Jan 2017 05:15:04
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2017 :  08:08:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, I'm not going to move it - it needs to stay right where it is on the canon 5e FR map. I connected it to that (mods forgive me - looks like a 'used condom') lake in the SE corner of the NV map, because they wound up quite close with the overlap. If one is a lake, and the other is a bog, I think I would be better-off disconnecting them.

I found two more lakes on that side of the mountains I need to add anyway, from the Hammerfast material.

The Trollhaunt Warrens fit better then I expected, between the two lager swamps (NV & FR) - it was tiny area. I could have just left it off, because it was all 'swampy' around there anyway, but there was that one town (trade-outpost) of Moonstair I had to get just right. I managed to get it halfway between Leilon and the Carnath Roadhouse (which is another trading-post along the MoDM, so it works nicely). I would assume one is being 'maintained' by Neverwinter, and the other by Waterdeep, to keep the road around the mere 'clear' of trouble.

I like that about Mistwatch - interesting plot, bringing Ravenloft into things. Is that yours, or canon?

quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

If you can't find a hardcopy then I think Paizo does still sell the pdf:
http://paizo.com/products/btpy7zjw/discuss?Dragon-Issue-307

I looked on their site, and that issue wasn't listed with the others when I looked under 'magazines, dragon' - weird.

I'll be picking it up in the morning, so I know how to proceed with Black Maw Bog. I like that there's another bridge there - I do so love bridges.

Thanks for the linky

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2017 :  08:16:13  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mistwatch is canon. Is a gencon adventure that later was published in Dungeon 186

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2017 :  08:27:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know Mistwatch is canon - I have some stuff on it (first discovered whilst looking through all the pretty maps on Mike Schley's site). I haven't read through the material though, so i was just wondering if that part about the Domains of Dread was canon - it wouldn't be the first time FR personages got pulled in Ravenloft.

Nentir Vale, for such a small region (slightly larger than most Dales), it sure as heck had a LOT going on. I like that it underwent 'tumultuous changes' a century ago - that ties it in perfectly with the spellplague (as we say in the carpentry business, "like it grew there").

The Hammerfast lore still doesn't sit well with me, but it is what it is, and its fairly easy to connect all the Orc stuff to the Old Owl Well. Its not like we need to try real hard to justify another pack of orcs in The North.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Jan 2017 08:27:41
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2017 :  08:55:34  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I know Mistwatch is canon - I have some stuff on it (first discovered whilst looking through all the pretty maps on Mike Schley's site). I haven't read through the material though, so i was just wondering if that part about the Domains of Dread was canon - it wouldn't be the first time FR personages got pulled in Ravenloft.

Yeah, that is mentioned in the article of Dun 186. Mind, in 4e Ravenloft was in the Shadowfell, so the Mists came from there. But, that was just 4e fluff.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2017 :  20:24:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Putting RL into the Shadowfell works for me - not everything that came out of 4e was bad.

The Warlock Knights (of Vassa) are another - I know its very far afield from the thread topic, but does anyone know if they're still around?

And I am *meh* about the return of Unther & Mulhorand. I've never really cared for the way they were handled originally, but they weren't really replaced with anything any more original, either, so its like they replaced bad with bad, and then went back to bad. Another edition where nobody goes there or uses any of it. {sigh}

We now bring you back to our originally scheduled thread...

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2017 :  23:26:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Winterhaven? More like Winterfell!

The text says its a village, but its population indicates its a small town, and the map looks like its just a large keep. 4e still manages to confuse the heck out of me a decade later.

EDIT:
Some guy on DeviantART did a revised map of Winterhaven that is MUCH better - check it out HERE.

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Jan 2017 23:36:08
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2017 :  00:46:23  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that was a major issue back in the time. They finally fixed that in Madness of Gardmore Abbey, making the rest of the people have their homes outside of the wall of the keep. The keep is just were the major and a few folks live.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2017 :  16:03:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still working on this - didn't have much spare time the past couple of days. I had to shift one major thing around, because the combined road system was looking a bit ridiculous (plus, it just makes a LOT more sense where I put it). I'm dying to lay in some forests, but I may just bite the bullet and spend the rest of the day on hills/mountains.

Go to Top of Page

Matrix Sorcica
Seeker

Denmark
89 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2017 :  14:10:13  Show Profile Send Matrix Sorcica a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Question:
Apparently they really screwed-up the scale on some of the maps, and I had every intention of correcting all of that in my main mapping project; someone had come up with a good solution to the inconsistencies (possibly at Enworld or the Piazza?)

Maybe this is the thread you're thinking about?http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?440360-PotA-Map-Discrepancies
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2017 :  18:53:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link - I'm pretty sure thats the thing I read.

Since then, I've found the maps asociated with that, and almost none of it (maybe two locales) falls-out on the map I am working on. I wanted to get Luskan in on the one I am doing, since most of the other maps of the Neverwinter region don't include that, and we have more than enough maps of the 'Waterdeep Environs'. I could have 'pulled back' with the view, and gotten more in, but then we would have lost a bunch of details, and that defeats the purpose of the conversion (I want EVERY Nentir Vale locale properly placed).

I realized late yesterday that I somehow managed to use two different sizes for the roads everywhere (Argh!), which pisses me off no end, but rather than correct them at this time, I am going to just keep moving forward so I have something to show here. When I get around to putting a PDF up on the DM's Guild, I will make those corrections.

Edited by - Markustay on 31 Jan 2017 18:53:34
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2017 :  20:15:06  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I realized late yesterday that I somehow managed to use two different sizes for the roads everywhere (Argh!), which pisses me off no end, but rather than correct them at this time, I am going to just keep moving forward so I have something to show here. When I get around to putting a PDF up on the DM's Guild, I will make those corrections.

Do not worry about that. As I said before, is kind of you to help with this little project.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2017 :  04:01:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally got most of the trees in today. While it looks pretty damn good, I still need to tweak the heck out of the forests, and I am hoping to have something to show tomorrow.

The mountains are done, but I still have some more hills to add - NV has lots of small hills everywhere, and those type I have to do by hand (I have brushes for the larger ones).

As I work on this, I've come to the conclusion I like this placement better than the one I had originally intended to go with for my own Realms - not only does it interfere with less lore in this spot than it did south of the High Forest, its starting to look like, "how was Nentir Vale NOT always there?" Its like a 'long lost realm' finally come home.

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2017 :  05:05:03  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eager to see this, really.

Go to Top of Page

Matrix Sorcica
Seeker

Denmark
89 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2017 :  09:42:12  Show Profile Send Matrix Sorcica a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Eager to see this, really.

Yep.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2017 :  18:22:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL - so am I. RW stuff keeps getting in the way, but I won't give up because this is REALLY worth doing. Aside from the fact that Nentir Vale is a good setting, and it fits REALLY WELL in this spot, I am also coming to the realization that a LOT of 4e players (who used NV) are now 5e players, and would like to bring their existing campaigns into FR.

Thus, the placement really couldn't be better, since it plunks-down centered to where all the 5e AP's are . Its a win-win.

Anyhow, I have to go out for a couple of hours (another hospital visit), but hopefully I can get back to this as soon as I get home, and post something later. If I didn't have to tweak the tree overlay I'd have something now (trust me - you don't want to see trees sitting in the lakes LOL). I make the forests using a different program, so ts a bit of back-and-forth to get everything just right.

EDIT:
Minor Update - I spent the better part of today tweaking this (and is looking pretty damn good, if I do say so myself), but I am not ready to post a WIP yet. I spent a lot of time re-outlining all the hills, because the contrast of the forest and mountains was so much more intense that I needed to define them a bit better (so yeah, using 'brushes' for all the hills doesn't help that much when you have to go over them all). Plus after I put the forest in, I didn't care for how the rivers looked - they were either completely hidden (if I put that layer behind the trees), or looked unrealistic (if that layer was on top of the trees), so now I compromised with a partial-transparency look that I think works really well. I'm getting a major snowstorm overnight, so I will be inside all day tomorrow, and working on this, which means there is a very good chance I will have something presentable to show.

That is, if the snowstorm doesn't knock-out my internet.

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Feb 2017 04:15:51
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2017 :  08:32:51  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Take your time. Hope that snowstorm doesn't ruin your internet.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2017 :  17:56:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not yet - there's about a foot of snow outside. And I live in a rural area, on a hill, with a long driveway...

Thank goodness I have very robust, 6'4" son living with me (I forgot to get gasoline for the snowblower).

EDIT:
Using a map I found that someone made with 'all' the official locals on it. What is 'Treewater' in the Witchlight Fens?

There is also a second 'Kalton Manor'(Renefik) in the Fens - is that right?

Lastly, what is Wenlg Halt? Its right near Restwell Keep (by the Chaos Scar).

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Feb 2017 23:00:59
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2017 :  23:47:10  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Renefik is a port enclave located on the shore of Nentir River in the fens. Is owned by the Ren clan, a clan of halflings merchants who brave those waters nobody dare to cross. Treewater is a really small village (there are like 10 houses) inhabited mostly by humans and half-elves. Both are relatively close to the Witchlight Hermitage, a small refuge for the poor and downtrodden founded by a priestess of Pelor in canon NV. We can change her god to Amaunator/Lathander in FR.

There is also a Ghost Tower in the Fens, near Kalton Manor. The Nentir Vale has three infamous towers, named the Ghost Towers, that are a focus for the undead and appear only in the eerie nights and that stuff. There is the one in the Fens, the other is in Castle Inverness (Castle Inverness is in fact the same one from Greyhawk; some planar magic allows it to appear in the Nentir Vale as well), and the third is mobile, can be anywhere in the Vale. In truth is a gigantic, very ancient mimic.

Of note, and maybe your map doesn't have it because is from a novel, but in the Mark of Nerath novel there is a circle of standing stones near the Ghost Tower of the Witchlight Fens. The circle has a door that leads to subterranean ruined city of Bael Turath (the tiefling empire in NV). We can change it to Netheril or other ancient empire of evil people in the north.

Wenly's Halt is small village located near the southern edge of the King’s Wall in the Chaos Scar. No much details about it, is just mentioned in a NV short story published in a Dragon magazine. Maybe your map may have also the town of Bedlam. It's not canon, it was created by people in the defunct WotC forums. I normally don't use it, but you can leave it in the map if you want to.

There is another town maybe the map you have don't show it, because it has no canon location. It's Baron's Hill. According to the adventure where it was depicted, the town can be located either in the Gardbury downs, the Old Hills, or the foothills of the Dawnforge mountains.

Another short story of the magazines mentions a small village populated only by githzerai, located near the White River in the Fens.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 09 Feb 2017 23:53:34
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2017 :  05:13:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THIS MAP is the one I have been using - it appears to have EVERYTHING on it.

My confusion comes from the fact that there appear to be TWO 'Kalton Manors' - one is in the Fens, and labeled 'Renefik'.

Anyhow, got very little done physically on the map - as soon as I got into labeling stuff I went into 'research mode' which slows me down tremendously. Fortunately, you saved me a lot of time with your answers.

Oh, and I have a 'fix' for Pelor (there is actually a picture of Pelor worshiper in a canon FR source). It has to do with the NERATH (North-East Realms Alliance Treaty Homesteading) Program put forth by the Lord's Alliance, and the Greyhawk Wars... and the real Khelben Arunsun.

EDIT:
Is Vanamere's Tower the same as the 'Ghost Tower'?

Thanks for those other locations, BTW - you actually helped me solve a little problem. Baron's Hill wouldn't happen to be near a river, would it?

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Feb 2017 05:42:29
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2017 :  15:35:22  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see. I didn't have this one. It seems accurate, but don't have some villages/towns there. You can use that map in conjunction with this one. That's the map the guys in the WotC forums did before the forums died.

To the questions:

There is only one Kalton Manor. Maybe the guy who did the map got it wrong there. Renefik, as said before, is the Ren halfling enclave.

Vanamere's Tower is different from the Ghost Tower of the Witchlight Fens. Vanamere's was the tower built by the wizard elf Vanamere and her husband to retire when the husband was old (he was human), and later was destroyed by a band of goblins from the Harken Forest. Is not technically in the Fens, is near the Cloak Wood.

While the Ghost Tower is in the Fens, near Kalton Manor (that's why the map I posted replaced the Manor with the Tower, but that is not accurate: according to the adventure the Tower is near the Manor -to the north-, not in the Manor).

The adventure in Baron's Hill don't mention any major river. However, it mentions a major road nearby. The only major roads in the Vale are the King's Road and the Trade Road.

Noteworthy detail: there are Hounds of Ill-Omen in the vicinity. Those undead dogs are usually spotted in the Gray Downs/Gardbury Downs area (legend says those are the dogs of the original barbarians tribes who lived in the Nentir Vale before the Nerathi-I mean, Waterdavians wiped them out). When I used Baron's Hill in my campaign, we were playing the Madness at Gardmore Abbey adventure, and I used the village as a base of operations for my players. I located it to the south of the Abbey, near the King's Road in the southern part of the Gardbury Downs, because of the Hounds activity.

The maps also don't mention another town: Duponde. That's the town were Evard the Black lived (again, this Evard is the same from Greyhawk. The adventure does not explain why or how the guy was living in the Nentir Vale world). When he leaved the NV world, he faked his death and there is a tomb of him in Duponde because of that.

The Dark Legacy of Evard adventure has contradictory info about the location of Duponde. According to the adventure, the town should be located where the White River and the King's Road intersect, near (or replacing) Albrigde. However, that contradicts references to Duponde being on the Nentir River and to Duponde being a few days north of Harkenwold.

Since we played Reavers of Harkenwold and I never put Duponde in the map for that adventure, I used the references to locate Duponde in my map: near the Nentir River, south to Fallcrest.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 10 Feb 2017 16:02:06
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2017 :  18:18:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOW, great info!

I'll place Baron's Hill as you did. I'll use Duponde for that other thing I needed (and your placement for that is also perfect). I moved Fallcrest slightly north to the Fork of the river, because the roads weren't making sense (once they were combined with the FR roads). In that way, both the FR and NV road network is still very close to what it was (and Fallcrest actually makes FAR more sense in that spot - its supposed to have a tributary river joining the Nentir River within it). Thus, Duponde gets to go where Fallcrest used to be.

What are Daggerburg and Kiris Dahn? I'm assuming they're both settlements, but what sizes?

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2017 :  20:58:32  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Daggerburg is a fortress, the headquarters of the Daggerburg goblin tribe. In NV canon is was an ancient fortress of Bael Turath*.

Kiris Dahn used to be a town ruled by the Kiris noble family. In NV canon, when the Empire of Nerath fell, Kiris Dahn survived all the demonic, orc, giants, goblins invasions because it has the "killer stones", magic stones that can kill any creature regardless of nature and powers (and mechanically, regardless of level as well). Those stones were created by tieflings descendants of the great wizards of Bael Turath*, and had a side effect: corrupted those who used them (like most of the creations of that fallen empire, really). Fear of both the powers and the curse of the stones keep all but only the fools from conquer the town until "all" the stones were expended (8 years before the current year the adventure that depicted the town takes place). The Kiris family was unpopular and the people left the town instead of defending it when a band of hobgoblins show up to conquer it. The town was overrun, conquered and defiled by the hobgoblins and renamed Gorizbadd. There are a few orcs and a tribe of kobolds in Gorizbadd, too, and currently the "town" is the battlefield of the three factions' civil war.

Not all the stones were expended, however. There is a bronze dragon living in a cave near the town that safeguards the last one so no one could use it (she is unable to destroy it, only the Kiris family knew how to do it). Of the Kiris family, only one guy survived and now lives in Fallcrest (and there is another, but the guy lives in the slums of Gorizbadd and fakes his death because he doesn't want people to know he is a wererat).

*I guess we can change Bael Turath for Netheril, in this conversion. Both were magical adept empires. Both are almost alike, worshiping evil gods and corrupting people and stuff. Almost, I say, because in NV canon it was the rival empire, Arkhosia (dragonborn empire), the one with the flying cities.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 10 Feb 2017 21:12:42
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2017 :  23:08:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More great info! You're being a huge help!

It might be better to say Bael Turath was a northern outpost of Ebenfar, time (and flavor)-wise. I'll have to see what fits the expanded timeline best. I'll work Arkhosia in as well (blame it on the Spellplague).

I just realized I didn't really leave enough room for the Chaos Scar, which is kind of a big deal.

Plus, there are two settlements near it, and I was placing Phandalin right around there. I have to rethink that small area. I don't want to have to re-do the forests again.

Otherwise, though, making good progress. I should have something today.

EDIT: Size of Timbervale? Any info? I hadn't known about this before (you linked to that map), and now it falls out right on top of Thundertree (FR).

EDIT2: And Bedlam - I recall reading about Bedlam a long time ago (when 4e was at its peak), but now I can't seem to find anything about it.

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Feb 2017 23:31:45
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2017 :  01:35:19  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In what sources can I find lore about Ebenfar?

Bedlam is a non-canon town the guys of the WotC forums made as a sort of base of operations for people exploring the Chaos Scar. That was before WotC made the Keep on the Borderlands 4e adventures and added Restwell Keep as the canon base of operations for the Chaos Scar. In my home campaign I left Badlam out of my Vale, because I didn't have any info about it. And sadly, all info about Bedlam died with the WotC forums (unless someone made a backup).

There is no much info about Timbervale. Is a small village near the orc-infested Stonefang Pass, and serves as a trade hub for merchants passing in and out the Nentir Vale.

About Arkhosia, I have plans for transplanting it to my Realms as well. Thanks to the Spellplague and Abeir, we can left practically the same as it is in NV canon. We can just say it was an old empire of Abeir that existed in another continent different to Laerakond —maybe Shyr, or just another continent—, where good dragons lived (contrary to the evil dragons of Laerakond) and treated the dragonborn as people instead as slaves. Many slaves fled from the Shyran and Larea...kondian(?) nations, and Arkhosia was found during the Rule of Dragons period. However, it eventually fell because the evil dragons banded together and destroyed it to get new slaves (and beacuse they hated good dragons). This can also serve to explain the contradictory lore about dragonborn WotC published in SCAG (really, they just copy pasted Arkhosian stuff from 4e, instead of stuff about FR dragonborn).

Tymantheran dragonborn know next to nothing about Arkhosia, because Tymanchebar was located in Laerakond, far from the older Arkhosian territories. And all the Arkhosian ruins that dot the Nentir Vale (and even other regions of Sword Coast North) came to Toril during the Spellplague. This can be used to transplant Ustraternes and Io'vanthor ruins to the Realms as well.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 11 Feb 2017 01:49:14
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2017 :  06:29:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ebenfar is mostly 'detailed' (if you could call it that) in the novel Crypt of the Shadowking. Its basically a 'shadowy/evil' empire/kingdom that didn't last all that long, so the same vibe as the Netherese Shades, but I think it might be both closer physically (albeit still a ways off) and temporally (once again, not sure on that - still fairly far back in the timeline, but some 400 years 'newer' than Netheril). There is a little bit of its history HERE, as it interacted with Najara. I can definitely see The Shadowking having tieflings in his employ (and it lore-lite enough for it to work without ruffling feathers). In fact, a group of his tiefling lieutenants could have fled north after his death, creating Bael Torath.

Or we could just shoe-horn a Bael Torath into The Realms unrelated to anything else, or we could also connect it to Stornanter, which is closer both physically and chronologically, but that was before Laeral 'got all ebil', so it wouldn't make much sense for evil artifacts to have come from there. Or The Hostower of the Arcane... that could work...

Yeah, keep Arkosia in Abeir, but say a lot of their ruins got swapped into NV/FR - that works perfectly.

I'll leave Bedlam out, and I have the perfect placement for Timbervale (very close to where it is on that map, but not right on top of the ruins of Thundertree) - I like to place settlements at crosswords (because historically, they did tend to spring-up at those).

I really tried to have something presentable today, but the Chaos Scar stuff tripped me up (I got to remove a couple of hills, which messes with my tree layer). I'm glad we lost Bedlam - I won't have to think as hard about Phandalin now (because it is going in that spot). Tomorrow I'll have something for sure.

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Feb 2017 06:31:15
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2017 :  05:14:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its still has a long way to go (many more hills and locales, etc), but here is a snippet of the map (the finished map will be MUCH bigger).

Go to Top of Page

Matrix Sorcica
Seeker

Denmark
89 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2017 :  10:40:30  Show Profile Send Matrix Sorcica a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It looks even better than I'd hoped for.
Really like this new style - I can see why the trees take so long.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2017 :  15:37:37  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're right, the spot really fits.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000