Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Where to put Nentir Vale on the Sword Coast?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2017 :  17:22:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. The trees are actually generated in s separate program called 'Treething' that someone over at the Cartographersguild.com created, although there is still a bunch of work involved (creating a B&W 'height map' to generate density and spread, etc, and tweaking all the trees and their shadows so they fall out behind mountains), And even with all that, I still have to go back in and shift things around (and erase some), which takes time, because those trees are actually on four layers (so each layer has to be moved and lined-up individually).

The mountains and most of the hills are from brushes I got - also at the Cartographer's Guild. So are the details in swamps/marshes. On the maps I am making for the canon Forgotten Realms, all of that will be drawn by hand, and I'll have something closer to how Mike Schley does his forests (although individual trees are very 'old-school cool', they aren't very realistic size-wise, and they get in the way of placing stuff IN the forest, like hills and locales).

I can't put a 'glow' on the labels (and sites) until the very end, because I have to drop them all onto one layer to do that in GIMP, and then I can't edit them. Photoshop is able to do that individually.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Feb 2017 21:52:16
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2017 :  18:03:55  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You mention in DA that the maps is actually bigger that this preview. What other regions do you plan to cover in the map?

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Matrix Sorcica
Seeker

Denmark
89 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2017 :  19:24:13  Show Profile Send Matrix Sorcica a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Remember to include Varisia south of Daggerford

Edited by - Matrix Sorcica on 12 Feb 2017 19:24:48
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2017 :  22:02:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nah, Varisia is only in my Misbegotten Realms. I'll probably never get back to that now, unfortunately. But we'll see - Varisia is just one (very well covered) place in Golarion, so it might be worth fudging regardless. If anthing, it stays where I put it on my homebrew conversion - in place of {*Yawn*} Aglarond. Then I'd just say The Simbul was the 'Witch Queen of The North' (putting her in Vassa would be fun, maybe as a consort of Zhengyi... think about it. It makes some sense).

As for how far the map goes - just above Luskan, and just at the southern tip of the Mere of Dead Men, and all the way over to the edge of the High Forest to the east. Its sized to be exactly 11 x 8˝ at 300 dpi (so it prints out precisely at standard paper size). Believe it or not, we have FAR MORE settlements/locales in that one region I displayed than the entirety of the rest of the map combined (but, of course, I will also be adding-in all the Underdark locations as well). We even get half of the Evermoors on the map. I didn't show any of that because its REALLY bare - no hills or anything; just roads and settlements so far.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Feb 2017 22:04:10
Go to Top of Page

Matrix Sorcica
Seeker

Denmark
89 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2017 :  22:18:23  Show Profile Send Matrix Sorcica a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fair enough. Know I'm derailing the thread, but how did you merge the history of Varisia and the Sword Coast in your Misbegotten Realms? Earthfall seems to match pretty well with the end of the Crown Wars.

Been thinking that sin magic would match Bael Turath well which again would match Netheril?

I'm asking cause making this fit together would allow using the Pathfinder adventure paths and the Nentir Vale without too much hassle.

Edited by - Matrix Sorcica on 12 Feb 2017 22:22:01
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2017 :  03:59:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure at this point I'm going to have Bael Turath be a 'survivor state' of Ebenfar (mostly because Ebenfar doesn't have a lot of lore about it, and we can say The Shadowking had a batch of Tiefling lieutenants most folks have forgotten about). Netheril just has too much attached to it at this point to keep adding more stuff on, IMHO.

Varisia only work on the Sword Coast when I moved the entire Sword Coast over into the Unapproachable East. Thus, Varisia would stay there, but the rest is back where it started (not that I would run it that way, but I'm not even running a FRPG ATM). This project is actually going to wind-up on the DM's Guild, mostly because I think a LOT of folks would find it useful. I can do that, because both settings are WotC (and as I hinted at earlier, i am actually going to use Greyhawk lore for some of it as well, which is another WotC IP). Using Paizo material is already 'iffy' - I've been getting away with using whatever I want just because its all 'fan works'. Once it goes on the DM's Guild, it HAS TO BE PURE WotC.

However, there is a new town in Nentir Vale - a little location north of Fallcrest right on the river called Falcon's Rest, and its eerily similar to Falcon's Hollow.

Eventually, when I get back to my main FR project and get down to the Chult region, I did a conversion of it and the Razor Coast that I WILL post somewhere. Its not Paizo (just PF-compatible), and its meant to be a "add to any campaign world" kind of product (so I really doubt Frog God Games would get upset about FR fans buying their product). Its an insanely good fit, and makes a fairly lackluster area really exciting. Freakin' Weresharks! (just don't add the dracolaser to their heads!)

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Feb 2017 04:02:03
Go to Top of Page

Matrix Sorcica
Seeker

Denmark
89 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2017 :  09:46:55  Show Profile Send Matrix Sorcica a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks.

I'm pretty sure only FR and Ravenloft IP is open for use at DM's Guild at this time.
http://support.dmsguild.com/hc/en-us/articles/217029298-Content-and-Format-Questions
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2017 :  16:11:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well then, I'll just have to make them change that.

After all, this project IS FR (NV is just becoming part of it), and as for the GH stuff, well, I plan to use a connection thats already established... IN FR canon.

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2017 :  16:45:16  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is the "Nentir Vale" IP (if such thing exist) open for use at DM's Guild?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2017 :  18:12:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had thought the DM's Guild was FR-specific, but Matrix Sorcica above said it includes Ravenloft, which I did not know (but technically, since RL is now - as of 4e - IN the Shadowfell, and the Shadowfell IS part of FR...)

Which is why I think a 'NV in FR' thing would be acceptable to them. I'm approaching the GH stuff with a 'light touch' - more along the lines of why we have certain 'Core' things in FR now (and since I was originally a Greyhawk fan, I also know that setting fairly well), and do it in such a way that it makes perfect sense to all settings involved.

Khelben, of course, is the KEY.

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2017 :  19:20:53  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was asking because of this:

"For now, at least, DMs Guild is limited to the Forgotten Realms and Ravenloft settings only, although you can also publish anything for 5th Edition that (i) is generic enough to be used in a permitted setting without effort and (ii) doesn’t explicitly use anything related to another official Wizards setting.

For example, you can mention Forgotten Realms deities or even say something like “Azuth, Mystra, or another god of magic in your setting,” but you can’t mention Boccob, Vecna, or Aureon, Lunitari, or any other god or goddess from another official D&D setting that hasn't been permitted here."

That would that mean you cannot use names such as Nentir Vale or Fallcrest in a DM's Guild product. Or that is how I interpret this rule.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2017 :  20:04:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting.

I would hazard to guess that would be because they are thinking about licensing those settings, otherwise, why disallow them completely? Especially stuff that was 'core' just one edition ago. Or perhaps they are hoping their FR movie project takes off, and people will be able to us the DM's guild as a resource connected to that, and they don't want any confusion regarding 'other worlds' (which leads me to believe the Shadowfell will be involved in the movie... maybe).

EDIT:
Vecna is part of Ravenloft canon now, so he is probably usable. Not being able to touch the other gods (I was going to use Wee Jas, who is friends with Mystra in Planescape canon.)

Planescape also becomes tricky - it has The Great Wheel, and so does GH, but FR had it as well in 1e/2e, which makes it FR canon.

I may have to leave some of the merged history bits in a separate 'fan work' thing, which is annoying. Also, if they wouldn't accept the map itself, well, there goes everything. We'll see how it goes.

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Feb 2017 20:15:41
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2017 :  21:09:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Heh*

I figured it out. "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t."

Nerath isn't a planet, Nerath was an empire on a planet. The planet was never named. So what do we know about the world nerath/NV is part of? Well, it appears to be some sort of 'cosmic storage facility' for large swaths of territory displaced from other worlds (most likely by magical/deific cosmic catastrophes).

So, aside from Ravenloft (which we know a lot about), what other world have we heard of - but know very little about - that appears to be some sort 'temporary storage world' for bits and pieces of other things?

A land that had dragon rulers and dragonborn empires? A place where it looked like just about everything imaginable got all mashed-up together?

Abeir.

I ascertain the Nerath and Nentir Vale has been part of FR all along - its just a small part of a continent on the psuedo-world that was created after The Sundering/Dawn War. In fact, I would even go so far as to say Nerath was located in Laerakond - note that The map of Nerath would fit nicely in upper Returned Abeir - the part of that continent we know very little about.

Other continents would include Athas, The Council of Wyrms setting, and possibly Cerilia (Birthright) and Ansalon (its dragony nature is a good fit, but because it one of the the three prime settings for a time, it may not be a good fit history/lore-wise). And, of course, its the homeworld of the Saurials (who got separated from their Sarrukh cousins when the worlds were split asunder). And the Abber nomads from RL.

Did Abeir have elves/drow? Maybe the drow called their world 'Threnody' (perhaps a hollow-Earth type of situation?)

Thus, everything is FR and everything is allowed.

No Eberron... Eberron SMELLS. Except for Xendrik... we'll take Xendrik... maybe Sarlona... Sarlona can go to Abeir... but the rest of Eberron is a big, stinky doo-doo head...

Sorry... I haven't taken my meds today.

I have a question: Whats a known assassin's organization in Nentir Vale?

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Feb 2017 21:22:51
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2017 :  02:55:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ansalon doesn't work as well, because we know of at least one distant continent that isn't on one of the other worlds. Plus, Krynn is accessible by spelljammer.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2017 :  03:15:56  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They're making more settings available on the DM's Guild as they become adventure relevant. For example, Ravenloft became available because of Curse of Strahd. I don't think they're likely to ever have a Nerath-world publication again, so I would guess if you tie it into FR they would let it slip through. You could always email them to ask though. I'm guessing Greyhawk won't be far away with the subtle mentions it's been getting.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2017 :  03:53:43  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Did Abeir have elves/drow? Maybe the drow called their world 'Threnody' (perhaps a hollow-Earth type of situation?)

I have a question: Whats a known assassin's organization in Nentir Vale?

Assassin organization on the Vale... mmm, I guess the Black Brotherhood, sort of evil band of mercenaries that do all kind of stuff for money and are always honorable and that.

Other assassin organization is the Iron Circle. The equivalent to Zhents but the Circle follows Asmodeus.

As for elves, AFAIK, elves were introduced to Returned Abeir only after the Spellplague changed Mex...tica with Laerakond. So, is really possible that elves do not exist in Abeir. Drow on the other had, seems to exist in that world since always.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2017 :  18:26:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which is REALLY weird, because the Descent of the Drow occurred about 20K+ years AFTER the worlds were split apart. That would mean the Dark Elves on that world were affected by the events that happened on Toril (which means there WERE 'Elves' on Abeir at one point), OR... Drow somehow managed to find their way there later (which I actually like much better - they may have used the Underways - the 'Underdark' of the planes themselves).

I would connect the Black Brotherhood to the Zhents - say it was a group of them that had gone-over to Asmodeus post-3e (because their entire organization just fell apart during that period, after the Shades put a hurting on them real bad). It would make for an interesting juxtaposition - the Asmodeus-worshiping ex-Zhents vs the Bane-loving formal Zhents (although they might still be split into East & West as well).

Hmmmmm... East branch goes with 'new & improved' Core Bane (he fits their newer 'mercenary' take better anyway), the eastern branch goes over to Asmodeus (being that he has a hand in Sword Coast affairs now) and calls itself 'The Black Brotherhood' (isn't there one of those in WH40K?), and the southern branch stays with Cyric, and behave more like terrorists (religious fanatics hell-bent on taking territory). They would need their own name as well a hundred years later - "Cyric's Wack-a-Doddles"?

Nah... thats too serious a name for a group of Cyric worshipers.

We could even come up with a fourth branch in the Old Empires - 'Immortals' is too derivative. Maybe 'Hoar's Hellions', or some-such.
Except that the Zhents weren't active there, so there'd be no point in even linking such an organization to the Zhentarrim.

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Feb 2017 18:30:11
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2017 :  20:18:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Expanding on Markus's idea... How about the Black Network for the original guys that went merc, the Black Sword for the Asmodean branch, and the Black Sun for the whackadoos Cyricists?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2017 :  20:48:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like it... I like it a LOT! But maybe not 'black' for everything. As much as I hate to jump on the bandwagon, maybe 'Shadow network', or some-such? Then again, with their hatred of the Shades, maybe not.

EDIT: Maybe 'Dark'? It ties to the 'Dark Three'. And I like the way is sounds - 'Dark Network', 'Dark Brotherhood', 'Dark Sword', 'Dark Sun', etc...
I think I like "Cyric, the Dark Sun" better.

* UGH! * I responded to the end of pg.2 by accident with the following

I'm going to go for a 'light touch', and if they still don't like it, oh well. They're loss, really. I expect it be very well recieved, if for no other eason than a LOT of 4e DMs have been left out in the cold with this new focus on FR in 5e. Its basically a way to 'mend fences'.

And honestly, it fits so damn well in that spot, I can't even see how 'the grognards' would take too much umbrage with it; its quite possibly the ONLY large area in 'The North' (one of three, actually, but this spot is so much better for the current 5e campaign region) that can fit the entirety of the Nentir Vale (and Trollhaunt Warrens) without having to move anything (had to 'nudge maybe three things), or obliterate existing canon. Its pure win - 'additive design' at its finest. There'd be no logical reason not to allow it.

The GH stuff is very minor, and only a means in which to establish a very good reason for the existence of Nentir Vale without many people outside the Vale knowing of it (for instance, Volo was specifically told NOT to do a guide book on it, and any mention of it in other guides was wiped-clean by Elminster). It not only sets-up a decent backstory for the Vale (and the Chaos Scar, I might add), but it ties it to know FR canon (which is already tied to known GH canon), AND gives us a reason for why most of the 'Core' gods are in FR now (and were, even before the Spellplague - they've probably had a small presence since the ToT). So not so much me creating lore on a whim, for a setting that isn't part of the DM's Guild, but rather, its a "by way of explanation" thing. I started to write it all down, but then decided I was getting side-tracked from the map itself (which is still coming along nicely). At the end of the day, all we did was take an area of a highly-detailed, rich setting (that they are focusing on in 5e), and added another layer of detail to one of the very few regions that was nothing more than a large swaths of hills with nothing interesting going on for FOUR editions.

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Feb 2017 20:55:32
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2017 :  21:28:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll not argue whether Black or Dark is better, in this case... I just stuck with black because that's the established thing for the originating group. Since these theoretical groups were spawned from the Black Network, I kept black to reflect the origin, but changed the noun to show differentiation.

And Dark Sword brings to mind Weis & Hickman's Darksword books. Likewise, Dark Sun brings to mind a place with feral halflings... (Though, admittedly, Black Sun does bring Star Wars to mind, even though I never read the relevant novels)

I do like the idea of the Zhents splintering, but I'm not particularly wedded to any of those names, save for the Black Network.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2017 :  01:06:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know what the problem is here? WAY back when I first started playing games it was the 70's, and people said and did whatever they wanted and it was all good (after we just had a 'hippy epidemic', and the Vietnam War was finally over, so people were pretty mellow). People wouldn't take offense, even if offense was intended (ahhhh, the good old days!)

Now, everything I read, write, and do I have to re-think and ask myself, could someone take this the wrong way? For example, suppose you were attacked by these 'new age' Zents, but you didn't know which splinter-group it was, would it be okay to say, "Hey, we're getting attacked by some Black guys!" See what I mean?

I do find 'Black network' and all the others perfectly fine, and maybe I was over-thinking it. In the past few months, I feel like I have to defend everything I say, which is exhausting. You start to see problems even when there are none. And using any variant of 'Dark' wouldn't really be a whole hell of a lot better, anyhow.

Maybe someday the world will grow its sense of humor again, and everyone won't be so tense. {sigh}

On a side note, I was unaware of any 'Black Sun' SW thing, and I forgot about the DL 'Dark Sword' thing (having almost no interest in either setting). I did catch the 'Dark Sun' thing, though, and like it even more because of that. Dark Sun is a pretty crazy-arse setting, and it seems fitting to have a crazy-arse god with the same name, IMO.

Maybe 'Athas' is really just the inside of Cyric's mind.

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Feb 2017 01:09:32
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2017 :  04:04:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Black Sun was a criminal empire in the Expanded Universe, but I just read today (when looking it up before my prior comment!) that it's been brought into the new canon. I knew it existed, I knew about the guy running it and the name of his ship, and that's about it.

And FYI, Darksword is not Dragonlance. There's an oblique reference to it at the end of the Tales trilogy, but the Darksword stuff happens mostly on a world called Thimhallon. And some on Earth, too, since Thimhallon was founded by Merlin as a home for Earth's magical refugees.

Back on topic... I'm weak on Asmodeus, since I see no point to having him in the Realms. Does he have a particular symbol and/or weapon he's associated with? That may be a more appropriate name.

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2017 :  06:38:20  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Ruby Rod, that can kill gods (as is a part of the Shard of Pure Evil that powered up Tharizdun and maybe even Lolth).

Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2017 :  10:11:09  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The three triangles comes to mind as a symbol for Asmodeus, used to great effect in Brimstone Angels.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2017 :  13:55:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

The three triangles comes to mind as a symbol for Asmodeus, used to great effect in Brimstone Angels.

That's something we can work with... Depending on the arrangement of the triangles, our theoretical Asmodean offshoot of the Zhents can be something like the Black Trident or the Dark Pyramid.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2017 :  21:39:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is his ring

And thats his symbol. Sort-of looks a bit like a fiend's head. Triangles are often associated with evil/power - a pentagram is really just five triangles stuck on a pentagon (and usually there are 'dark symbols' inscribed inside those triangles in many representations).

I agree that we didn't need Asmodeus, but he's here now, so we may as well come up with nifty ways to use and/or spin him.

EDIT:
Maybe just call his organization 'Trinity' - that would drive some folks nuts.

Even play-off the formal Zhent names for stuff, like have 'The Dark Network' while the eastern Zhents still use 'Black network'. Make it obvious that he's 'horning in' on Cyric's turf (and being a lawful entity, he would know how much that would make a chaotic entity absolutely nuts... and maybe force them into making a stupid, snap-decision). So you'd want three branches to the Western Zhents - Dark Network (spies), Dark Blades (mercs), and maybe 'Dark Sons' (Darkthanes?) as the leadership - the power-brokers.

The Zhents-proper would have 'The Black Network' (as always), the Black Swords (mercs/military branch), and the 'Black Sun' (priesthood/leaders).

Maybe have the Asmodeus mercs have a tattoo with his symbol (arm or head), and the Cyric branch use 'branding' instead (forehead?). Maybe ritual scarring for the followers of Bane(I forgot we were first discussing three groups, and I somehow dumbed-it-down to just two).

EDIT2: As for the map, I was hoping to have something new to show today, but ran into a major snafu with the trees (I changed the direction of the shadows without changing the direction of the highlights), so I have to completely re-do all the forests (but I still have the height maps I made, so hopefully it won't take me all that long... we'll see). I only noticed this when I added-in the High Forest, which is correct, and also redid Kryptgarden's trees (so I noticed the weirdness compared to other, nearby trees).

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Feb 2017 21:58:53
Go to Top of Page

Matrix Sorcica
Seeker

Denmark
89 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2017 :  20:14:51  Show Profile Send Matrix Sorcica a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Arkhosia is just represented by ruins showing up during the spellplague, what about the epic war with Bael Turath?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2017 :  20:33:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Stuff Happened" LOL (I haven't gotten back to the lore end of things in awhile - I didn't want to bog down with that and not get the map done).
Perhaps the 'epic war' took place in a third-party environment, like the Shadowfell or Feywild? (Thus, we can say both empires had access to the same region in one of those planes). Something like that - I'm sure we can get it all to work eventually. I'd have to complete the timeline to see what works and what doesn't (we have a hundred years of 'nothing' lore-wise, and a big 'ol magical mess to blame it all on).

I popped in here because someone told me in an earlier comment where the Carnath Roadhouse was located, or rather, what product I could find it in. Unfortunately, I've blown my budget on what I was willing to spend researching this stuff, so does anyone has access to that info in Tyranny of Dragons? Was there a map? Anything? I'm working on correcting some of the stuff in Princes of the Apocalypse - the maps had a lot of funkiness involved, and some folks over at Enworld came up with solutions (although once I scaled everything properly, it solved quite a bit of that).

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Feb 2017 20:35:37
Go to Top of Page

Matrix Sorcica
Seeker

Denmark
89 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2017 :  21:07:21  Show Profile Send Matrix Sorcica a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Second post on page 2 of this thread.
Carnath Roadhouse is from Hoard of the Dragon Queen. There's a map of the place, but not where it's located. The travel description says that the caravan spots the Mere of Dead Men after 7 days travel from Waterdeep, and reach the Roadhouse after 10.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2017 :  21:18:05  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matrix Sorcica

If Arkhosia is just represented by ruins showing up during the spellplague, what about the epic war with Bael Turath?

According to the article "Vor Kragal" (can be downloaded for free in WotC website), that is about the capital city of Bael Turath, the Turathi empire expanded not only in the world or the Underdark, but also to other planes. I can see the Turathi colonies on Abeir as the trigger for an epic war against the Arkhosians (maybe the Turathi began to colonize Arkhosian lands in Abeir).

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000