Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Which god for a doppelganger ?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2016 :  09:04:43  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi,

I've been reading Monster Mythology (from Ad&d), I can't find this information :

Which god for a doppelganger ?

Somebody can help me ?

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2016 :  09:48:57  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm far from an expert, but I think dopplers are linked to the batrachi... so maybe Ramenos? Good question.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6651 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2016 :  11:50:30  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ghaunadaur?

Or maybe an aspect of Leira or Mask?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2016 :  17:49:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a very good reason why we've never heard of a 'Doppleganger god'...

They aren't called 'The Unseen' for nuthin'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2016 :  23:00:16  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I had to make a quick judgment it would probably be Cyric or Shar. Cyric as the deity of lies, intrigue, and illusions. Shar as the goddess of secrets and darkness. Both of these deities could have a particular resonance for a generic doppelganger. However, what matters more is the specific character.

For example, I could imagine a doppelganger who develops an affinity for a particular identity which is fiercely loyal to a particular city. Perhaps over time this doppelganger becomes the head of the secret police of this city, using his abilities to hunt down enemies of the state, and others that would cause the city harm. Such a doppelganger could worship Helm, as he would see himself as a guardian and a protector.

Another example could be a doppelganger who develops a desire for avenging murdered individuals. A deeply devout doppelganger who perhaps worships Kelemvor and Hoar, and sees himself as a balancer of the scales of justice. He would move throughout the Realms, listening around for stories of those recently slain, learning all he can about them, and taking their identities. Once he has their identities, he would hunt down their killers, so that the last thing that they see is the face of the person they killed just before they die. A form of poetic justice.

The point is that the character matters more than the race of the individual when it comes to who they would worship.

KanzenAU is also right. The doppelgangers are related to the batrachi in the Realms. However, I think it is unlikely any doppelgangers in the Realms would have any knowledge of this or the batrachi deities. As a result, the deities a particular doppelganger worships is going to be tied to whatever culture they find themselves integrated into as children and adults.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2016 :  23:17:34  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Leira would do well, post Sundering or pre ToT. As Aldrick said, Cyric before the Sundering or after the ToT (he no longer is the deity of illusions after the Sundering).

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2016 :  01:47:11  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sharess, Mask, and Baravar Shadowcloak manifest via Doppelgangers, so they'd be the common deities, along with the Primordial Bazrim Gorag.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000