Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Saurial conversion to Pathfinder
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

EltonRobb
Seeker

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2016 :  03:12:47  Show Profile Send EltonRobb a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I did a conversion of the Saurials' races to Pathfinder and I need some critique. I'm not getting any critique on the Paizo forums and it's not normal.

Fortunately, I can edit my posts on Candlekeep. I'd like some critique before going on a final version. And yes, it could be the holidays (Christmas and the others). It is a conversion from Complete Book of Humanoids and not from Hall of Heroes.

So to start off this scroll:

Bladeback (Monstrous Humanoid, Saurial [3RP])
+2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma, -2 Dexterity: Bladebacks are wise and personable. However, they are ungainly do to their bodies' size.[0 RP]
Size: Medium (0 RP). Although slightly larger than a human, Bladebacks are medium creatures.
Speed: 30ft. (0 RP)
Natural Armor: Bladebacks gain a +1 natural armor bonus to their Armor Class. (2 RP)
Flexible Bonus Feat: like humans, Bladebacks can select one extra feat at 1st level. (4 RP)
Gregarious: When Bladebacks successfully use Diplomacy to win over an individual, that creature takes a –2 penalty on attempts to resist any of the member's Charisma-based skills for the next 24 hours. (Complete Book of Humanoids, page 57)(1 RP)
Scent: Bladeblack saurials gain the scent ability, which is important for communication.(4 RP)
Languages: A bladeback saurial can only speak Draconic.
Full ARG Cost: 14 RP

Saurial's speak Draconic through high pitched noises and scents. See the Complete Book of Humanoids, page 57, for more information on Saurial speech.

Finhead (Monstrous Humanoid, Saurial [3RP])
+2 to any two Ability Scores: Finheads are the saurial equivalent to humans. (2 RP)
size: Finheads are medium creatures. (0 RP)
Speed: Finheads can move at 30 ft. per round. (0 RP)
Natural Armor: Finhead saurials gain a +1 natural armor bonus to their Armor Class.
Curiosity: Finhead saurials are naturally inquisitive about the world around them. They gain a +4 bonus on Diplomacy checks to gather information, and Knowledge (history) and Knowledge (local) become class skills for them. If they choose a class that has either of these Knowledge skills as class skills, they gain a +2 racial bonus on those skills instead. (4 RP)
Scent: Saurials use the scent ability to communicate. (4 RP)
Languages: Finhead Saurials speak only Draconic. Through training, one can learn to understand Common, but not speak it. (-1 RP)
Full ARG Cost: 11 RP

Finhead saurials tend to favor the fighter class or the paladin class when Multiclassing. If they are paladins, they tend to be viewed as the champions of their race or other monstrous humanoid races. See the Complete Book of Humanoids and the Hero's Lorebook for more information on Finhead paladins.

Flyer (Monstrous Humanoid, Saurial [3 RP])
+2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, -2 Strength:Flyers are nimble and personable, but lack muscles for strength. (0 RP)
Size: Small, flyers are small saurials compared to the others, and gain +1 size bonus to their AC.(0 RP)
Speed: Flyers have a ground movement speed of 20 ft. And a fly speed of 50 ft, with good maneuverability.(0 RP)
Natural Armor: flyer saurials gain a +1 natural armor bonus to their Armor Class. (2 RP)
Flight: flyers have a fly speed of 50 feet with good maneuverability. (12 RP)
Skill Training: Flyers have fly as a class skill. (1 RP)
Scent: Saurials use the scent ability to communicate. (4 RP)
Languages: Flyer saurials only speak Draconic. Through training, one can learn to understand Common (and other languages), but not speak it. (-1 RP)
Total ARG cost: 19 RP.

Flyers are described as graceful and fluid in the air, forcing them to be an Advanced race. This means that a flyer gains a +1 Level Adjustment. For more about flyers, see The Complete Book of Humanoids page 58.

Hornhead (Monstrous Humanoid, Giant, Saurial) [3 RP])
+2 Strength, +2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma: Hornhead saurials are inquisitive, inventive, and quick of mind. Their large size also grants them strength. However, they lack social acumen.
Size: Hornheads are large specimens, their size rivaling that of a Firbolg giant kin. See page 115 of the Complete Book of Humanoids for a size comparison chart. [7 RP]
Speed: Hornheads can move at 30 ft. per round. (0 RP)
Saurial Magic: Hornhead saurials gain a +2 bonus on caster level checks made to overcome spell resistance. In addition, they also receive a +2 racial bonus on Spellcraft checks made to identify the properties of magic items. (Saurial Magic like Elven Magic, 3 RP)
Urbanite: Hornheads gain a +2 racial bonus on Diplomacy checks made to gather information and Sense Motive checks made to get a hunch about a social situation.[1 RP]
Language: Hornhead Saurials speak only Draconic. Through training, one can learn to understand Common, but not speak it. (-1 RP)
Total Race Point cost: 13 RP

Hornheads are described as careful planners and rational thinkers. They also favor the sciences, and may favor the Wizard, Sorcerer, Alchemist, or Magus classes. The last because of their strength. See page 58 of the Complete Book of Humanoids for more information on Hornhead saurials.

FAVORED CLASS OPTION CHARTS
Finback Saurials
Cleric: Select one domain power granted at 1st level that is normally usable for a number of times per day equal to 3 + the cleric's Wisdom modifier. The cleric adds 1/2 to the number of uses per day of that domain power.
Druid: Select one cleric domain power at 1st level that is normally usable a number of times per day equal to 3 + the druid's Wisdom modifier. The druid adds 1/2 to the number of uses per day of that domain power. For half-elf druids whose nature bond gives them an animal companion, add +1 skill rank to the animal companion. If the half-elf ever replaces her animal companion, the new companion gains these bonus skill ranks.
Inquisitor:Add one spell known from the inquisitor spell list. This spell must be at least one level below the highest spell level the inquisitor can cast.
Oracle: Treat the Finback's level as +1/2 higher for the purpose of determining the effects of the oracle's curse ability.
Witch: Add 1 skill rank to the witch's familiar. If the bladeback ever replaces her familiar, the new familiar gains these bonus skill ranks.

Finhead Saurials
Alchemist: Add +1/2 to bomb damage.
Cavalier: Add +1/4 to the cavalier's banner bonus.
Fighter: Add +1 to the fighter's CMD when resisting two combat maneuvers of the character's choice.
Monk: Add +1/4 to the monk's ki pool.
Paladin: Add +1/2 hp to the paladin's lay on hands ability (whether using it to heal or harm).
Ranger: Add +1/3 dodge bonus to Armor Class against the finhead suarial's favored enemies.
Swashbuckler: Increase the total number of points in the swashbuckler's panache pool by 1/4.

Flyer Saurials
Alchemist: Add +1/2 to the number of bombs per day the alchemist can create.
Bard: Add one spell known from the bard spell list. This spell must be at least one level below the highest spell level the bard can cast.
Hunter: Add DR 1/magic to the hunter's animal companion. Each time the hunter gains another level, the DR increases by 1/2 (maximum DR 10/magic). If the hunter replaces her animal companion, the new companion gains this damage reduction.
Rogue: Add a +1/2 bonus on Bluff checks to feint and Diplomacy checks to gather information.
Slayer: Increase the studied target bonus on Perception and Survival checks by 1/4. When the slayer gains the stalker class feature, he also gains this increase to his studied target bonus on Stealth checks.

Hornhead Saurials
Alchemist: Add one extract formulae from the alchemist's list to the character's formulae book. This formulae must be at least one level below the highest formulae level the alchemist can create.
Bard: Add one spell known from the bard spell list. This spell must be at least one level below the highest spell level the bard can cast.
Inquisitor: Add one spell known from the inquisitor spell list. This spell must be at least one level below the highest spell level the inquisitor can cast.
Oracle: Add one spell known from the oracle spell list. This spell must be at least one level below the highest spell level the oracle can cast.
Sorcerer: Add one spell known from the sorcerer spell list. This spell must be at least one level below the highest spell level the sorcerer can cast.
Summoner: Add +1 hit point or +1 skill rank to the summoner's eidolon.
Wizard: Add one spell from the wizard spell list to the wizard's spellbook. This spell must be at least one level below the highest spell level he can cast.

I guess that's it. Give me some good critiques.

SaMoCon
Senior Scribe

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2016 :  20:30:19  Show Profile Send SaMoCon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You made a few mistakes. You skipped the RP cost of the Natural Armor for Finheads and the math totals the ARG Cost as 14 RP. The Flyer, if flight is 12 RP then ARG comes in at 21. The others have correct math.

For all intents and purposes regarding socialization, they are mute. Only dragons and some fey creatures can hear their voices, so any social skills or abilities which requires another person to hear/understand the saurial is largely wasted unless the intended audience is other saurials, dragons, and those few fey that can not only hear but also understand the saurial.

Defining traits of all saurials are scales, sharp claws, and a tail. Shouldn't they have the Claws (2 RP) and Slapping Tail (3 RP) traits? Comparing these to their AD&D counterparts leaves me wondering if you are purposefully low-balling their natural armor which should be a minimum of +4 or better. And does PF have anything to take into account saurial susceptibility to cold environments?

Resources I used for my response:
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Saurial
http://www.lomion.de/cmm/saurial.php
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frx/20030528a

I also found this reddit saurial conversion for pathfinder:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_RPG/comments/31mm3l/re_saurials_in_pathfinder_heres_my_updates_cc_a/

Make the best use of the system that's there, then modify the mechanics that don't allow you to have the fun you are looking for.
Go to Top of Page

EltonRobb
Seeker

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2016 :  22:32:57  Show Profile Send EltonRobb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SaMoCon

You made a few mistakes. You skipped the RP cost of the Natural Armor for Finheads and the math totals the ARG Cost as 14 RP. The Flyer, if flight is 12 RP then ARG comes in at 21. The others have correct math.

For all intents and purposes regarding socialization, they are mute. Only dragons and some fey creatures can hear their voices, so any social skills or abilities which requires another person to hear/understand the saurial is largely wasted unless the intended audience is other saurials, dragons, and those few fey that can not only hear but also understand the saurial.

Defining traits of all saurials are scales, sharp claws, and a tail. Shouldn't they have the Claws (2 RP) and Slapping Tail (3 RP) traits? Comparing these to their AD&D counterparts leaves me wondering if you are purposefully low-balling their natural armor which should be a minimum of +4 or better. And does PF have anything to take into account saurial susceptibility to cold environments?

Not yet, but saurial torpor should be -1 to -2 ARG points. Thanks for the critique! I love it. I'll take the tails and everything else into consideration. I'm usually good at making new races, and when converting from another game system, even AD&D, errors can be made.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2016 :  04:29:07  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do Hornheads really need a strength bonus on top of the innate strength bonus they get from being Large sized?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000