Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Forgotten Realms to Pathfinder
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

EltonRobb
Seeker

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2016 :  00:25:55  Show Profile Send EltonRobb a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Would a scroll on a FR conversion to pathfinder be too controversial? Or not?

I'd like to expand my own conversion work of converting 1e realms to Pathfinder and post it here. I use 1e realms because I don't like how the gods are portrayed during the Time of Troubles. I'd rather them not be real (in context). Every religion is man-made, that sort of thing. Priests often play politics, trying to get to the best spot.

I know that in the past they are handled as real entities. I'd rather them be unknowable.

If I may, i'd like to start.

Edited by - EltonRobb on 26 Nov 2016 00:33:20

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2016 :  01:01:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally see no problem with it - I bring up Pathfinder (and Golarion) all the time here. I even have an amalgam (Homebrew setting) world combining FR with Golarion.

As for rules, I'm not really sure what needs to be converted - you can pretty-much use the 3e version of FR with PF as-is (unless something has changed drastically since I bought my PF books). I think the general consensus is you have to crank-up the FR NPC/monsters a level or two for encounters.

I've also squeezed Dark Moon vale into three different places in My Realms.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Nov 2016 01:02:55
Go to Top of Page

EltonRobb
Seeker

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2016 :  02:45:11  Show Profile Send EltonRobb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I personally see no problem with it - I bring up Pathfinder (and Golarion) all the time here. I even have an amalgam (Homebrew setting) world combining FR with Golarion.

As for rules, I'm not really sure what needs to be converted - you can pretty-much use the 3e version of FR with PF as-is (unless something has changed drastically since I bought my PF books). I think the general consensus is you have to crank-up the FR NPC/monsters a level or two for encounters.

I've also squeezed Dark Moon vale into three different places in My Realms.

True. All I did was convert the 1e faerunian pantheon of gods to their Domains. Since there are new domains and subdomains, I tried to be very consistent.

Like Bhaal has the Death Domain, but gives the Murder subdomain to his priests. Thanks Markus, I'll have to think on it some more as to how to present it.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2016 :  06:26:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't start a scroll because I didn't want to toot my own horn too much, but I've been working on FR in Pathfinder already and running my own game in it. I'm super busy this weekend but i'll post more later. To get things started, here's the last version of my compatibility notes I share with players: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16238662/Tales%20of%20Toril%200.5.pdf
Go to Top of Page

EltonRobb
Seeker

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2016 :  16:16:22  Show Profile Send EltonRobb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

I didn't start a scroll because I didn't want to toot my own horn too much, but I've been working on FR in Pathfinder already and running my own game in it. I'm super busy this weekend but i'll post more later. To get things started, here's the last version of my compatibility notes I share with players: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16238662/Tales%20of%20Toril%200.5.pdf

Good work, Arivia.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2388 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2016 :  03:39:11  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why not. Of course, for most part it's the same d20 with all its warts, but now also schizophrenically labyrinthine, so there's that.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

EltonRobb
Seeker

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2016 :  18:48:13  Show Profile Send EltonRobb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Why not. Of course, for most part it's the same d20 with all its warts, but now also schizophrenically labyrinthine, so there's that.

Not every system is perfect.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2016 :  22:20:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A 'perfect' system is one that gets released and then remains pristine for many years, with the occasional (decade or so) edition update. One large book, or two smaller ones (three if there's a setting attached).

Splats ruin EVERY system, eventually. Like a bloated and inefficient bureaucracy, it becomes so top-heavy only the most dedicated fans stay with it, long after its become too complicated to be fun anymore.

Just my 2¢

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Nov 2016 22:21:06
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000