Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 House of Ilmater - Orphanage Question
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kalos72
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2016 :  04:54:04  Show Profile Send kalos72 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So my epic level campaign is set in the Neverwinter region 4Eish time frame but with a 3.5Eish rule set.

One of my group suggested that we support the creation of several orphanages throughout the Sword Coast / The North to try and help the children, all while "recruiting" more good folk to the City of Neverwinter. Still giving all the kids a good,safe happy place to grow up.

Fund the building of "House of the Crying God" in all major cities, pull out the good/neutral kids and move them to Neverwinter to grow up there. Hopefully making them "elite" NPC's and offer them training, class or skills.

The question came up, although we are doing good, there is purely an ulterior motive, recruitment. Would Ilmater, or any god for that matter, take issue with that do you think? Or would they be ok because ultimately we are doing everything to support his domain in the end.

Thoughts?

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2016 :  05:09:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The bottom line is, ALL gods are 'selfish', even the 'good' ones, especially in regards to their portfolios, and the furthering of those portfolios.

"The ends justify the means", IMO.

And its VERY easy to justify; after all, isn't eventual 'service to Ilmater' a 'good' thing, in and of itself? If the deity in question truly believes it self to be 'good', then anything that would promote having more faithful is a good act (in their eyes).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Nov 2016 05:11:04
Go to Top of Page

kalos72
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2016 :  03:11:46  Show Profile Send kalos72 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Markusstay!

Are most children, evil or good? I am thinking that if you get the young enough and with the right guidance/teaching, they would be mostly good as they grow up. Obviously some are just evil, and those would test evil from the start I would think.

When do alignments get "set" on a child? Never thought of that actually...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000