Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Kezefbane
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2016 :  03:03:57  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Has anything more ever been revealed about Kezefbane, the "magic siege engine" used by Samular Caradoon and his brothers to lift the siege of Waterdeep during the Second Troll War sometime around 940-944 DR? It's mentioned in the 3E City of Splendors sourcebook.

I was wondering if there was a link to Kezef the Chaos Hound, and the sword Houndsbane that Mask used to hide from him. Cyric only released Kezef sometime after 1358, so if they're the same artifact, the brothers Caradoon must have made use of it first. It does mention in Champions of Ruin that Mask had been hiding in Waterdeep from Kezef, assumedly sometime between 1358 and 1374 or so...

I haven't read Prince of Lies, which I think might expand more upon Kezef and Cyric, so I'm keen to hear about it if anyone is keen to share.

Here's my current theory:
The sword Houndsbane/Kezefbane is some sort of artifact linked to Tyr (who is linked to both Kezef and the brothers Caradoon). It is possible that this sword is also the blade that in Nordic mythology was placed into Fenrir's mouth after he bit off Tyr's hand. The Nordic myth about Kezef biting off Tyr's hand is used directly in Champions of Ruin, although the sword itself is not mentioned.

My guess is that Tyr granted the brothers Caradoon the use of Kezefsbane if they were willing to undertake a holy quest - the retrieval of the "Rings of Samular". The Rings allowed them to channel some of the power of the sword from its place in Kezef's mouth into a siege engine that helped destroy the trolls. Kezefsbane never left Kezef's mouth, but the Rings summoned some of its power.

Then, Cyric takes the sword out of Kezef's mouth and frees him, and he immediately goes about hunting Mask. The sword however disappears from Cyric's hands (it finds itself unsafe there), and links up with a portion of its power that remained in Waterdeep. Mask travels there, finds it, and uses it to hide himself from Kezef.

Is there anything more about Kezefsbane out there in the ether?

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2016 :  06:19:46  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you read the novel Thornhold? If not I'd suggest starting there.
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2016 :  07:00:52  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No I haven't, but I'll give it a look! So many novels to read to get up to date on Realmslore...

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2016 :  16:18:48  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't say that they ever documented anything, but I'm thinking you're down the right track when you mention an artifact of Tyr. I also don't know where you're quoting any of this from, BUT my first thoughts that popped into my head when you said "Kezefbane" and "magic siege engine" was a massive clenched fist that punches through walls, possibly created from the retrieved hand of a god (i.e. Tyr).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2016 :  16:27:14  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
might have been some kind of siege tower too.... though why they'd call that "Kezefbane" I have no clue.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2016 :  19:33:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Possibly a Ballista. Its more an 'engine of war', but it certainly makes sense in terms of the name, at any rate.

I do really like the idea of Tyr's fist though - thats pretty awesome.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Oct 2016 19:44:07
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000