Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Drow reverting to dark elves
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Quil
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2016 :  15:20:26  Show Profile Send Quil a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi

I recently saw a discussion elsewhere about whether or not a "drow" serving Torm would actuallly be a drow. The idea behind it was apparently that all drow are tainted, and any drow who turns from Lolth (or another evil drow deity) would lose this taint (or something along those lines). So, a drow who escapes the Underdark and somehow becomes a Paladin of Torm, would physically be transformed back into the original dark elf race and really wouldn't be a drow any longer.

Is this the case?

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2016 :  15:30:39  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw the discussion too, and it was said that the 4e Underdark book talks about drow spontaneously losing the taint due to worship of deities outside the Dark Seldarine (so not even Eilistraee would count), but I had never heard of that before.

The taint doesn't change the appearance of the drow, Corellon's curse does. So, even losing the taint (which I hoenstly have never heard could spontaneously happen), they would still look as drow. But drow can be followers of deities outside the Dark Seldarine, and be still drow (Liriel and Drizzt come to mind). So, unless the taint goes away over a *very* long period of time, it's either false, or a retcon.

Eilistraee's followers were transformed, but that was because of a spell cast by a mage that was one of her followers. And at this point it's even arguable that it worked, that it was permanent, or that it trasnformed more than a neglectable number of drow (in the novel they talk about hundreds of drow being transformed, so not even 1k, but the Dark Dancer--as a lesser deity--should have much more than that), since in 5e Eilistraee has mostly drow followers (whereas she should have mostly dark elf followers), and the dark elves have never been mentioned anywhere except the very book where they appear.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 13 Oct 2016 15:32:09
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2016 :  23:50:02  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the whole Dark elf / Drow thing is among the 4th E stuff that got tossed.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2390 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2016 :  00:00:02  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quil

.So, a drow who escapes the Underdark and somehow becomes a Paladin of Torm, would physically be transformed back into the original dark elf race and really wouldn't be a drow any longer.

Or a drow who would become... for example... a ranger of Mielikki?
It's laughable, of course.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2016 :  04:20:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The way I spun my drow Lore in the Elven netbook (Elves of Faerūn) project was that their 'look' and aversion to sunlight came from Corellon's curse, but the things they gained - Darkvision and drow Powers - were 'Lolth's Blessing'. Using that, one could hypothesize that they would look the same (as Irennan already said), but would lose those things which were gifts of Lolth - Darkvision and their drow abilities (like darkness ball and levitation).

And I also spun their 'Infravision' as a hybrid of Darkvision and normal vision, and something only drow of FR have, for whatever reason. They have a second, translucent eyelid that acts like a filter that changes their vision form one to the other (and allows them to see color, even in cave darkness). This part is entirely homebrew, of course. It was the best I could come up with to keep the novels consistent with the rules (all editions).

Now, how did Drizzt still have his Drow powers? Either he really was 'favored of Lolth', or Mielikki granted him those abilities in lieu of his normal ranger abilities (thus, he has a custom, 'Drizt-only' prestige class in 3e reckoning).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Oct 2016 04:25:06
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2016 :  13:49:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I find interesting is that they were kind of hinting at one time that the "untainted" ones on the surface would turn more "nut-brown" like in color and the others would be the more ebony ones. I know its all magic and everything, but you'd think the ones underground without the sun on their skin would be the lighter colored ones. If that were the case, I'd definitely go with Markustay's statement that its a blessing of Lolth to be ebony skinned in a lightless environment.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2016 :  14:11:21  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Idk if that's how it works. If a naturally dark skinned species goes to live underground, I'm not sure that their skin can spontaneuosly change to a light color. That I know, usually that kind of change takes a period of time that is way over 10k years to happen, especially with a rather slow birth rate like that of the drow (faster than elves', but slower than humans'). Because of that, I don't think that a blessing is needed to explain why the drow are still dark skinned even though they live underground.

Althought we do know that the Elven Court and the Seldarine chose to change the dark elven skin to reflect the "evil inside" (or somthing along those lines).

Edited by - Irennan on 14 Oct 2016 19:16:12
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2016 :  20:17:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, 'evolution' occurs at a MUCH faster rate than previously thought. I had always figured that, being that I can argue that evolution 'disproves' itself (by the time a species adapted to an environmental change, said change would have already killed them off). I usually post links to several articles about this phenomena, but HERE IS A GOOD ONE* off the top of my head. I'm glad 'science' has finally caught up (partially) to my great big brain.

Thus, I can see a species changing its 'skin' color in just a few generations. In the case of more primitive species - like reptiles and insects, such changes could than occur within a single century. There are articles wherein a species have adapted to a 'cave environment' rather quickly (I recently read something about 'zombie ants' living in caves without a queen). Life is MUCH hardier and more adaptive than we've ever given it credit for. Species can also 'spontaneously reappear', but enough real-world science mumbo-jumbo; FR isn't 'real world' by a long shot.

So in a magical fantasy setting, anything is possible. Plus, Ed's 'Drow' WERE albinos - white-skinned, as they are in Mystara (OD&D). More like those guys in the Hellboy2 movie.

I think WotC/Hasbro decided that the whole "lighter skinned = 'less evil' " thing was best discarded and forgotten about.. a prudent idea, wouldn't you agree? The fact that Corellon "cursed them to be black" harkens back to a more primitive (less PC) age of gaming. In your games, YOU can spin them anyway YOU want. As for me, mine (MY settings) are albinos, as they should be (now that the entire concept of 'canon' has been shot in the foot, this is MUCH easier to do). You can even have all three types of if you like; I was writing an article for Elves of Faerūn linking the 'sea drow'** to an albino group of drow who entered the Moonsea, but I never finished it, so it doesn't appear in that work. They are 'white skinned'; however, they are also NOT technically 'drow', just very evil sea elves (although given the fluid nature of elven 'breeds', thats splitting hairs, IMO). IIRC, the original Drow of the Underdark (written by ED) mentions the occasional occurrence of albinos, but most are killed at birth (as are nearly all 'defective' drow babies). However, one can assume there are ALWAYS exceptions, and it is quite possible that that some of these 'outcasts' who survived found each other, and formed their own settlements (which is how I was going to spin my article), and are now even 'breeding true'.

Lastly, it makes MUCH more sense scientifically for the 'race' to have been turned WHITE, rather than black. Elves DO receive a small amount of 'nourishment' from the sun (this is old canon), which probably comes from their 'fey' heritage (so elves are 'sort of' plants LOL). Black absorbs sunlight better than any other color, white reflects it. Unless, of course, one could hypothesize that if an elf got 'too much sunlight', it would be like overcharging a battery. That could work - its painful to them. Drow are 'super-charged' elves... that would make the fanbois happy.

*Thats NOT even the one I meant to link to - thats a completely different story, but it applies. The one I was thinking of was THIS ONE.

**Marels - pg.77, Mysteries of the Moonsea, and earlier in The Moonsea, pg.27

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2016 :  22:16:53  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The proof being that species of moth in england in the midlands which gradually changed colour over the course of a hundred years (to black) from the 1800s to the 1900s because the buildings were all covered with soot and it was easier for it to hide.

It has since started to revert back to its original lighter colour over the last 80 years because the buildings are cleaner so the selection for it to hide among dark buildings has no gone.

Evolution in our lifetime and most dont even know it.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2016 :  22:25:22  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have looked up the evolution of the human skin, and it came up that, in scarcity of sunlight and of vitamin D in food sources, light skin is a favoured trait that can lead to a change in pigmentation over a period of time as short as 10-20k years (possibly as little as 100 generations in more extreme conditions). So yeah, the drow are somewhat slower but they too should have changed.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2016 :  22:26:08  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the article about the lizards and the info about the moths, btw, interesting stuff.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2390 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2016 :  22:35:16  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Idk if that's how it works. If a naturally dark skinned species goes to live underground, I'm not sure that their skin can spontaneuosly change to a light color.

Yup. also, irrelevant because now they are not "naturally dark skinned" anyway.
quote:
Because of that, I don't think that a blessing is needed to explain why the drow are still dark skinned even though they live underground.

And here we have something relevant:
Cormanthyr:
p.9:
The drow lifespan is shortened appreciably due to their additional powers gained in the Underdark which nullify the Weave's beneficial 
effects upon their vitality. If your ARCANE AGE campaign takes place during the Crown Wars before the Descent of the Drow, they have 
no powers beyond those standard abilities of elves and they share the lifespan of Moon Elves.
p.126:
While the original Dark Elves from before the Crown Wars were merely dusky elves with pale hair, the drow of the Underdark have, 
over the millennia of exile, darkened to obsidian and taken on their more familiar visages as enemies.
p.136
This ritual can even restore a drow to status among the Tel'Quessir, though the ritual erases all powers (but not appearance) 
of the drow (judge as a moon elf).
See also an answer from Ed of the Green Wood on the uncommon conditions and colorations here.

quote:
Althought we do know that the Elven Court and the Seldarine chose to change the dark elven skin to reflect the "evil inside" (or somthing along those lines).

Or rather we know that the surface elves believe this.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2016 :  22:39:35  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, they had dusky skin even before the curse, that's why I said that. Thanks for the other info, tho. I thought that the change was sudden, not over millennia.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2016 :  17:31:54  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Idk if that's how it works. If a naturally dark skinned species goes to live underground, I'm not sure that their skin can spontaneuosly change to a light color. That I know, usually that kind of change takes a period of time that is way over 10k years to happen, especially with a rather slow birth rate like that of the drow (faster than elves', but slower than humans'). Because of that, I don't think that a blessing is needed to explain why the drow are still dark skinned even though they live underground.

Of course the Elven Court and Seldarine will take credit for the blessing that Lolth gave them. They're not as clean as they try to represent themselves as. Too many people take their statements as truth and not the thinly veiled lies that they are (so sayeth Zeldreth of Menzoberranzan).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2016 :  17:36:22  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It depends. If it happened all of sudden right after the curse, like--for example--it is suggested in the GHotR, then it's very unlikely to be Lolth's work. If it happened over the millennia, as suggested in Cormanthyr, then it could be.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2016 :  17:43:48  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Actually, 'evolution' occurs at a MUCH faster rate than previously thought. I had always figured that, being that I can argue that evolution 'disproves' itself (by the time a species adapted to an environmental change, said change would have already killed them off). I usually post links to several articles about this phenomena, but HERE IS A GOOD ONE* off the top of my head. I'm glad 'science' has finally caught up (partially) to my great big brain.

Thus, I can see a species changing its 'skin' color in just a few generations. In the case of more primitive species - like reptiles and insects, such changes could than occur within a single century. There are articles wherein a species have adapted to a 'cave environment' rather quickly (I recently read something about 'zombie ants' living in caves without a queen). Life is MUCH hardier and more adaptive than we've ever given it credit for. Species can also 'spontaneously reappear', but enough real-world science mumbo-jumbo; FR isn't 'real world' by a long shot.

So in a magical fantasy setting, anything is possible. Plus, Ed's 'Drow' WERE albinos - white-skinned, as they are in Mystara (OD&D). More like those guys in the Hellboy2 movie.

I think WotC/Hasbro decided that the whole "lighter skinned = 'less evil' " thing was best discarded and forgotten about.. a prudent idea, wouldn't you agree? The fact that Corellon "cursed them to be black" harkens back to a more primitive (less PC) age of gaming. In your games, YOU can spin them anyway YOU want. As for me, mine (MY settings) are albinos, as they should be (now that the entire concept of 'canon' has been shot in the foot, this is MUCH easier to do). You can even have all three types of if you like; I was writing an article for Elves of Faerūn linking the 'sea drow'** to an albino group of drow who entered the Moonsea, but I never finished it, so it doesn't appear in that work. They are 'white skinned'; however, they are also NOT technically 'drow', just very evil sea elves (although given the fluid nature of elven 'breeds', thats splitting hairs, IMO). IIRC, the original Drow of the Underdark (written by ED) mentions the occasional occurrence of albinos, but most are killed at birth (as are nearly all 'defective' drow babies). However, one can assume there are ALWAYS exceptions, and it is quite possible that that some of these 'outcasts' who survived found each other, and formed their own settlements (which is how I was going to spin my article), and are now even 'breeding true'.

Lastly, it makes MUCH more sense scientifically for the 'race' to have been turned WHITE, rather than black. Elves DO receive a small amount of 'nourishment' from the sun (this is old canon), which probably comes from their 'fey' heritage (so elves are 'sort of' plants LOL). Black absorbs sunlight better than any other color, white reflects it. Unless, of course, one could hypothesize that if an elf got 'too much sunlight', it would be like overcharging a battery. That could work - its painful to them. Drow are 'super-charged' elves... that would make the fanbois happy.

*Thats NOT even the one I meant to link to - thats a completely different story, but it applies. The one I was thinking of was THIS ONE.

Just to note, the Night Below adventure set from TSR days is set in FR. It introduces "Rockseer Elves". When you look at their lore, they pretty much are the same basic idea as the Mystaran shadow elves. Light skinned elves that live below where even the drow live, have had no contact with surface elves in forever, and who believe that surface elves would shun them.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2016 :  19:11:15  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Just to note, the Night Below adventure set from TSR days is set in FR. It introduces "Rockseer Elves". When you look at their lore, they pretty much are the same basic idea as the Mystaran shadow elves. Light skinned elves that live below where even the drow live, have had no contact with surface elves in forever, and who believe that surface elves would shun them.

Oh wait, I take that back.... I thought it was in FR because the maps indicated the High Moor and Thornwood (both names I recognized), but they're not near each other in FR.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2016 :  20:43:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Funny, because I was going to bring them up as well. Lord Karsus spun them for FR in Elves of Faerūn, so that might also be where you are remembering it from.

We hashed-out that both their location (beneath the 'High Moor') and their lore, they were a perfect fit for Green Elves of Miyeritar that sided with the Ilythir (and a group DID, in canon), that followed the (newly made) Drow below the surface.

They really are a good fit.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2390 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2016 :  01:08:02  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Of course the Elven Court and Seldarine will take credit for the blessing that Lolth gave them.

Conversely, there's no particular reason why Lolth would not let the priestesses take in her name credit for a natural process.

quote:

It depends. If it happened all of sudden right after the curse, like--for example--it is suggested in the GHotR, then it's very unlikely to be Lolth's work. If it happened over the millennia, as suggested in Cormanthyr, then it could be.

Just as well could be (and was) argued the other way around.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2016 :  02:10:30  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Funny the OP mentions Torm, because there is a haf-drow named Kael who does serve Torm (he has dusky skin).

As far as I know, the "brown drow" have been completely ignored. "Dark elf" and "drow" have been used interchangeably in FR literature. I have never heard of a drow "losing its color" based on which deity it worships. The drow who follow Eilistraee remain drow. Granted, she is a drow goddess, but she has had followers of other races, and those followers don't suddenly become drow because they worship a drow goddess.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000