Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dwarf names after exile
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Doge
Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2016 :  16:48:39  Show Profile Send Doge a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings sages, I'd like to know what happens to a dwarf's name after he/she is exiled. I read that a dwarf's name belongs to his/her clan and is passed down through generations and is to be carried with pride and respect. So what happens if his/her name is stripped? Does he/she become nameless? If so, by what name does he/she go about with? And how do other dwarves address him/her?

EDIT: It's for a dwarf monk character that fell into the sway of a very non-dwarven order. He's basically self-exiled and would probably be exiled when he returns to his clan. I doubt his former clan would let him go around carrying his old name so he'd probably take a new name. Also, any suggestions for a name an exiled dwarf would give himself.

Edited by - Doge on 10 Oct 2016 17:20:58

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2016 :  17:17:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From Ed's own pen, in the book Dwarves Deep:

quote:
A clanless or outlaw dwarf, or one ashamed of his clan or wishing to conceal its identity, commonly uses only the name of his kingdom to distinguish him from others with the same name. Surprisingly, the legitimate reasons for concealing
one#146;s clan, especially from nondwarves, are many. To a traveling dwarven merchant, for example, revealing his or her clan only affords competitors a chance for blackmail, deception, and time-wasting entreaties-false or hopeless-to others in the clan, attempting to use the merchant as a go-between, spokesdwarf, or agent.

quote:
Dwarves who wander the Realms or dwell exclusively in the company of humans, and who are outlaw or have no clan affiliations from birth, usually adopt human last names (see the section on Brotherhoods; most of their leaders are so named).

This is from the inside cover of the book; it is a page devoted to dwarven names.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Doge
Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2016 :  05:50:52  Show Profile Send Doge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Wooly!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000