Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What areas of Abeir did not transfer back?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2016 :  00:44:10  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, according to the SCAG, it doesn't appear that everything transferred back to Abeir. For instance, Vaasa is still mentioned as having the warlock knights, so I'd imagine Telos is still there. Similarly, it seems that Akanul is still there. Tymanther is definitely gone though. Are there any other transferred areas that you'd like to see stay? I know in the past some people were hoping returned abeir would stay (which personally, I could easily see it either not having been in exactly the same area or it getting displaced similar to how the shadow of evermeet was).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2016 :  00:58:18  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't think there is any hard stated answer.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2016 :  04:45:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty much.

We've little bits here and there about what's been saved and what has been lost since the Sundering. But until we have some comprehensive detailing of the state of the 5e Realms, I guess we just have to wait until when, or even if, some of the more obscure Abeir-influences upon Toril, are referenced once again.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2016 :  04:54:42  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Until then, any of Abeir's leftovers can be referred to as Abeirations.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2016 :  21:03:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was working on a Maztica/Larakond (Returned Abeir) composite map, as a possiblity for 5e, because Maztica never really shined, and RA had some cool bits, and a think an amalgam would have been the perfect way to go - The 'Dragon Lands' of the west, as opposed to a Mesoamerican knock-off, or a 'more of the same' High Fantasy region (NOT knocking Ed's work on RA - it was very good. Its just rather redundant with what we already had in Faerūn).

I perfectly understand what it was for - it was for the new 4e players that didn't want all the 'FR baggage' from previous editions, and in that, it worked admirably. However, it never really caught on (even after I went to all the trouble of dressing it up), so better to take the good and shoe-horn it into the snore-fest that was Maztica, IMO.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Oct 2016 21:03:28
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2016 :  01:25:05  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I was working on a Maztica/Larakond (Returned Abeir) composite map, as a possiblity for 5e, because Maztica never really shined, and RA had some cool bits, and a think an amalgam would have been the perfect way to go - The 'Dragon Lands' of the west, as opposed to a Mesoamerican knock-off, or a 'more of the same' High Fantasy region (NOT knocking Ed's work on RA - it was very good. Its just rather redundant with what we already had in Faerūn).

I perfectly understand what it was for - it was for the new 4e players that didn't want all the 'FR baggage' from previous editions, and in that, it worked admirably. However, it never really caught on (even after I went to all the trouble of dressing it up), so better to take the good and shoe-horn it into the snore-fest that was Maztica, IMO.

Yeah, what I'm currently working on just for the fun of it is something that hopefully helps wake up those areas just a little bit by throwing in some more Faerunian influence, but trying to keep that Mesoamerican feel. Seethyr and others have started their Maztica Alive project and put it up on DMs Guild, so I'm trying to stay to the edges of their work BUT incorporate what they're doing as well (i.e. don't upset the table but work around what's set).

My main thing I'm focusing on is something I've kind of talked about here before. Its "The United Tharchs of Toril", and the idea behind it is that when some portions of Toril transferred over, there were red wizard enclaves in those areas. These red wizards then expanded around anchorome (specifically around Fort Flame and near Michaca), Maztica (specifically the uncharted part of the Lopango, Land of Fire, jungles) and northern Katashaka. I've also linked in that the idea that the underchasm was just a collapsing in was incorrect, an empty area of Abeir transferred to the Shaar. Also, the maw of entropy, the Tashalar/Thindol areas, and Western Chessenta will also play into things. I don't want to reveal too much, because I'm changing it even as I write it up, and especially as I make the maps (which is fun, btw, I'd only barely used campaign cartographer previously since I could always find online maps). I plan on releasing my PDF documents, but I also plan on releasing my maps in both JPEG and campaign cartographer format, so that DM's can add to it for their own stuff (and while I'm placing villages, I'm only naming maybe a third of them). I wish the rules of the DMs guild would somehow allow me to incorporate Jakandor, because I'd throw in some time travelling red wizards to actually have formed the Charonti society in those books.

Anyway, I was considering mentioning having returned abeir stay and be to the east of Maztica. That way it could interact with both Faerun and Maztica (and impede interaction between the two regions as well). Still, with what I'm doing, I've got plenty to work with.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2016 :  14:49:47  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

Until then, any of Abeir's leftovers can be referred to as Abeirations.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I clutch my side with pain. XD
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2016 :  17:07:27  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"If you're gonna spew, spew in this"
Go to Top of Page

RavenShadow
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2016 :  19:38:52  Show Profile Send RavenShadow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Tymanther is definitely gone though.

I just read "The Devil You Know" by Erin M. Evans, and they still reference Tymanther.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand this storm." The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000