Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Wizards forum gone
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2016 :  07:22:20  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A year late to the party, but I did not know. Haven't been there in years, still what a great loss.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 26 Sep 2016 07:25:45

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2016 :  09:52:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

A year late to the party, but I did not know. Haven't been there in years, still what a great loss.

If I knew those forums were gone, I'd forgotten. I've only poked my head back over there a handful of times since they banned me and I came here, and I never posted there after that.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2016 :  16:40:06  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alot of stuff was moved over to Enworld.
Go to Top of Page

Sunderstone
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2016 :  19:34:58  Show Profile Send Sunderstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

If I knew those forums were gone, I'd forgotten. I've only poked my head back over there a handful of times since they banned me and I came here, and I never posted there after that.

I have a hard time imagining you getting banned? Do you mind sharing what the offense was?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2016 :  19:54:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recall when this happened - we had a 'warning' post here at CK.

I thought about copying a couple of threads to pdf files, but I couldn't find most of the ones I was looking for, and the one I could find (the Utter East thread) I just never bothered to copy (it was HUGE). All that research, just GONE. {sigh}

And part of the reason was I was hating on FR at the time. I seem to have gotten over that... AGAIN.

Another one - the one with the leaders of the Warlock Knights of Vassa - perhaps Jeremy made a copy of that? That one was pretty nifty as well.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Sep 2016 19:55:30
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2016 :  21:34:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sunderstone

quote:

quote:

I have a hard time imagining you getting banned? Do you mind sharing what the offense was?

It was a three-strikes thing.

The first strike was during their ridiculous ban on discussing novels. Someone asked if a particular designer had written a novel, and I responded. This was "discussing novels" and was a strike.

The second was when someone came in and posted something about Cyric. The person's English was very, very bad -- to the point it almost looked like one of those things where you translate the same phrase multiple times over. It was not clear if the person was asking a question or stating an opinion. My first comment was an attempt to be helpful, but my second comment was agreeing with someone that said the first post was unclear. This was "participating in harassment of another user" and was another strike.

I never found out what the third strike was. It was another group one, slamming everyone who'd commented on a particular thread, but between the time of my last post and when I got up the next morn, the moderators had removed the entire thread. It was that strike that was the last one, resulting in my banning.

I tried a couple of times, but I never was able to get anyone to tell me what happened with that last thread. I asked the Wiz_Os and never got anywhere.

So I said someone hadn't written a novel, agreed that a post was unintelligible, and said something on-topic and non-offensive in a thread that went south. These were my unforgivable offenses.

And per the rules at the time, I could only create a new user name, and not reference my old one.

I refused to play that particular game. I never went as far as actually demanding such (because that would have been a waste of electrons), but I decided I was not going to return there until my ban was rescinded and I received an apology.

Obviously, people that will punish all participants in a discussion for the crimes of a few are not going to be inclined to reverse their decision... So I never went back, other than looking once or twice.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Sunderstone
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2016 :  21:48:45  Show Profile Send Sunderstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Sunderstone

quote:

quote:

It was a three-strikes thing.

The first strike was during their ridiculous ban on discussing novels. Someone asked if a particular designer had written a novel, and I responded. This was "discussing novels" and was a strike.

The second was when someone came in and posted something about Cyric. The person's English was very, very bad -- to the point it almost looked like one of those things where you translate the same phrase multiple times over. It was not clear if the person was asking a question or stating an opinion. My first comment was an attempt to be helpful, but my second comment was agreeing with someone that said the first post was unclear. This was "participating in harassment of another user" and was another strike.

I never found out what the third strike was. It was another group one, slamming everyone who'd commented on a particular thread, but between the time of my last post and when I got up the next morn, the moderators had removed the entire thread. It was that strike that was the last one, resulting in my banning.

I tried a couple of times, but I never was able to get anyone to tell me what happened with that last thread. I asked the Wiz_Os and never got anywhere.

So I said someone hadn't written a novel, agreed that a post was unintelligible, and said something on-topic and non-offensive in a thread that went south. These were my unforgivable offenses.

And per the rules at the time, I could only create a new user name, and not reference my old one.

I refused to play that particular game. I never went as far as actually demanding such (because that would have been a waste of electrons), but I decided I was not going to return there until my ban was rescinded and I received an apology.

Obviously, people that will punish all participants in a discussion for the crimes of a few are not going to be inclined to reverse their decision... So I never went back, other than looking once or twice.

Thanks and sorry to hear! Based on your contributions here, I am sure it was that forum's loss.

Edited by - Sunderstone on 26 Sep 2016 21:49:25
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2016 :  10:25:03  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

Alot of stuff was moved over to Enworld.

Yes, what Gyor said. WotC wanted to close their official forums, but they seemed to support the idea of their forum users moving to Enworld.

If you are a Twitter veteran then you might be interested to know that the WotC does respond to their D&D customers through that social media. I don't mind the idea of occasionally posting and directly asking them questions (regarding D&D) on Twitter, they are usually responsive. The most helpful is Jeremy Crawford who is the main guy who answers rules-related questions. Some of the other WotC staff I would never care to contact on Twitter or FaceBook, seeing as they often post strongly political views.

Edited by - moonbeast on 27 Sep 2016 10:29:59
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2016 :  12:20:46  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I quit using the Wizbro Forums years ago. No loss for me...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2016 :  13:12:23  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In all honesty, I only used the forums during the first year of 5th Edition's release. Prior to that, I had never even cared about its existence. In my experience, the WotC forums was like the chaotic Old West. Lots of chatter, and enough argumentative people. But I also give credit to the small handful of veterans that did answer many of my questions, since I had NOT been a D&D Player since the mid-late 90s. I was absent from the hobby during the 3.0 Edition, 3.5 Edition, and the 4th Edition. There were enough forum veterans there that answered my questions promptly, and to them I am grateful.

In comparison, the vast majority of the posters here at CandleKeep care more about the FR books, Realmslore, novels, and don't seem too interested in the actual 5th Edition game.

Myself, I'm a gamer more than a "reader". For me, Realmslore is nice to read and learn, but only to the point that the FR knowledge helps me become a better D&D player and/or DM, and to make my campaigns more immersive. And so I did find the old WotC forums to be a useful gaming resource.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000