Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 source of the Manshoon Wars
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2016 :  17:48:04  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I could have sworn that somewhere it had been stated that the reason for Manshoon's awakening of all his clones had to do with Fzoul and the Scepter of the Sorcerer Kings that he was led to by Khelben and the Tel'TeuKiira. However, I'm not seeing it in cloak and dagger (unless I'm just missing it).

Anyone know where it was explicitly stated what happened that actually awakened all of the manshoon clones?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2016 :  18:21:08  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was of course Manshoons feath that kicked off the Manshoon Wars but i dont believe the Sceptre of the sorcerer kings was involved (that was used on a bane lich i think).

The theory is that the clone under westgate was the next in line to be activated but was a vampire and so it caused some kind of feedback loop that activated all the other clones (like a stupid computer program that checks the next clone in line to see if hes alive, if yes then activate, if no then activate the next one, but because the next clone was undead it got confused and kept activating the next clone along).

A soul split so many times must make the clones unstable and crazy (although the youngest clones get the biggest portion of soul). Then its a highlander situation where the more clones you kill the saner and more powerful you become.

Thats my take on it anyway

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2016 :  18:36:11  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For some reason I also thought it was something to do with the Sceptre and the deal Fzoul made with Khelben limiting the Zhent expansion.

I've had a look through Cloak and Dagger and the Manshoon Wars sidebar (p15/16) has some possibilities under the "Conundrums" header... Nothing concrete, though.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2016 :  21:07:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

The theory is that the clone under westgate was the next in line to be activated but was a vampire and so it caused some kind of feedback loop that activated all the other clones (like a stupid computer program that checks the next clone in line to see if hes alive, if yes then activate, if no then activate the next one, but because the next clone was undead it got confused and kept activating the next clone along).

That was my theory. As I recall, though, our lovely Lady Hooded One indicated that it was Mystra's interference that cause the awakening of all of the clones.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2016 :  21:18:27  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well as you know i hate the gods did it explanation (although if a chosen such as khelben had gone and done it then id be fine with that), so im going with yours Wooly.

When i do a writeup of the Manshoon Wars that is the explanation i will use most often.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2016 :  16:21:36  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I read some hints that Elminster could manipulated some of the Manshoon's clone bodies but I am not sure where it was...
I personaly use almost the same version a Dazz here.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2016 :  19:41:30  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As the scribe who set that plot in motion, I always wanted it left vague and unsubstantiated as to who or what activated all the clones.

Partly because I didn't want people arguing re: the game mechanics of making such magic happen.

Partly because it leaves it up to individual GMs as to how it best fits into their campaigns/worlds.

Partly because it's more fun to have Elminster, Khelben, and others simply smirk and wander away, chuckling mirthlessly under their breaths and leaving people wondering what they truly know.

As for what's happened to the plot and such since 1999 or so when I last had any influence over it, I've no idea what's canonical or not.

Steven Schend

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2016 :  06:07:30  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wrigley

I think I read some hints that Elminster could manipulated some of the Manshoon's clone bodies but I am not sure where it was...
I personaly use almost the same version a Dazz here.

You did, during a conversation El has with Manshoon in one of the Knights novels he tells him he has done so and threatens him with his ability to do so to others at any time.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2016 :  21:26:45  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

As the scribe who set that plot in motion, I always wanted it left vague and unsubstantiated as to who or what activated all the clones.

Partly because I didn't want people arguing re: the game mechanics of making such magic happen.

Partly because it leaves it up to individual GMs as to how it best fits into their campaigns/worlds.

Partly because it's more fun to have Elminster, Khelben, and others simply smirk and wander away, chuckling mirthlessly under their breaths and leaving people wondering what they truly know.

As for what's happened to the plot and such since 1999 or so when I last had any influence over it, I've no idea what's canonical or not.

Steven Schend

I miss you and Eric Boyd's work so much. I find myself referring to old 2e lore all the time. Granted, I like a lot of what happened in 3e as well, but there was something complete about the work back then that the newer stuff lacks (granted, had they rehashed a lot of it into 3e, a lot of people would have gotten mad).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2016 :  15:25:50  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Steven Schend

I agree with Sleyvas that your work is great and I too still search in it for new snipets of lore that evaded me.
For mechanical information on events or beings - you are absolutely right that somethings should be left non-numbered/explained. Ever since there were numbers for gods there were players bound to try to kill it...

So thanks again for lore you wrote and also for that you didn't.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000