Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 What are the best DM's Guild Monster Collections?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2016 :  15:14:23  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Obviously DM's Guild has gotten an overwhelming amount of content in the short time its been there. What I'm looking for are what have YOU found to be the best bestiaries that are there FOR THE MONEY. So, I will swear by Leonaru's Bestiary of Faerun, even though its pricey. However, I'm not willing to risk a bunch of cash on a lot of these others that are asking 3 bucks and have a total of 10-20 monsters that may not be good.

I am willing to risk a dime to 50 cents on some pay what you want collections of a similar or smaller size (my viewpoint is smaller collections of 1-5 creatures are clutter unless they really have an intriguing idea). I'm currently looking through the website and downloading a ton of these, but if someone has some that they particularly found good, please point them out.

Thank you for any response. Oh, and what really got me looking was I just wanted to add a simple girallon to something and didn't feel like making it myself.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2016 :  17:55:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've honestly not looked at any of the monster books... I've looked more at various maps, some magical stuff, and flavor stuff like NPCs and inns and taverns and such.

What all is in the Bestiary you swear by? Is it safe to assume it's 5E?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2016 :  22:39:03  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've honestly not looked at any of the monster books... I've looked more at various maps, some magical stuff, and flavor stuff like NPCs and inns and taverns and such.

What all is in the Bestiary you swear by? Is it safe to assume it's 5E?

Its a conversion of previous editions monsters to 5e, and its got probably about 150+ creatures, plus 5 templates. Its enough that I feel like he's got a good handle on the monster design in 5e and handling balance concerns, CRs, etc.... He also did a bestiary of Maztica which is good but much smaller.

If you're not interested in 5e, its not as much of a big thing. However, what I'm finding is that I'm coming up with ideas and planning on using creatures, only to find that no one has recreated said creature yet. I can do that work, but its a question of time. Same comes out with spells. There's a lot of broken stuff out there with 5e BUT I honestly feel like they've got the right idea for the game on some things like the bounded accuracy piece.

One of the big things that I'm not seeing people take advantage of with this DM's Guild product is you're allowed to include content from other submitters (as long as you aren't just copying it into your product for sale) as long as you provide proper references for where to find/buy the material. Since WotC isn't putting out material, this offers us a chance to do so. Sadly there's so much junk for every gem, so if contributors actually start referencing other products that they found was good... people may start noting that and grabbing up the good things.

Anyway, that all being said, I spent an hour downloading bestiaries, and never saw a girallon :-)

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2016 :  14:04:42  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BTW, on this topic, I can also say that while I like Leonaru's Bestiary of Faerun, I also can say that some people have taken some of the monsters and given them a greater treatment and sometimes much cheaper. For instance, the Bestiary of Faerun is $9.99. The Folio of Fiends is much smaller and essentially only has 11 creatures. However, within those creatures, there are some that they develop elite and spellcaster versions (shamans, tribal leaders, bodyguards, etc...). Its also pay what you want. So, in the instance of say Firenewts & Giant Striders that I see in the "Bestiary of Faerun" versus the "Folio of Fiends", I'm going to note that all my firenewts come from the Folio of Fiends. Its cheaper, people can grab it more readily, and its frankly a better adaptation for that single creature.

Folio of Fiends
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/191498/Folio-of-Fiends

Leonaru's Bestiary of Faerun
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/173428/Bestiary-of-Faern--Monsters-of-the-Forgotten-Realms

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000