Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Monk or Fighter: Whats the difference?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gavard Green
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2016 :  18:56:36  Show Profile Send Gavard Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi,

Ive been asked to play a monk in an upcoming session and I'm trying to wrap my head around what exactly they are supposed to be as a class.

Is the fighter not the ultimate physical warrior? I read lots of information that cites Monks are the Jackie Chan/Bruce Lees of the world, but when I look at those icon's skill set I'd argue that they are just unarmed Fighters. Would that be the case?

The monks seem much more supernatural and spiritual focused and less kung fu in my mind.

So my question is what sets a monk a part from a fighter? Does the monks power come from physical devotion like the fighter or does it come from the spiritual? I understand that the monk trains their physical bodies as well but if thats the case they just seem like a fighter to me.

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2016 :  20:15:56  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The biggest difference that comes to mind right now is that Monks use few weapons and no armor other then their training and body. A Fighter can use most weapons and armor.

A Monk can become more powerful then a fighter, however the path to reaching the higher levels is a much different path.
So the basic answer to your question is Monks derive there power from inner strength. I would not be sure I would call it spiritual, however that clearly is closer then just being an unarmed fighter.

In my view a Monk ability is based on a combination of physical training, mystic training and learning self (inner awareness).

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2016 :  06:54:59  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What separates them is their use of Ki. Fighters don't utilize Ki, preferring to utilize muscle memory and rigid training through a variety of weapons and armor. Other than that, it comes down to which edition you're using.
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2016 :  15:36:55  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its a little blurry and undefined in my realms. Some of the Realms' best fighters are capable of using supernaturally quick reflexes, pain endurance, raw strength and feats of balance or footwork that to the untrained eye it seams there is magic involved. Monks are known for similar feats, and their martial arts masters usually transcend (fantasy-)physical barriers a lot earlier.

Through training techniques for both the mind as well as the body monks reach the heights of preternatural conditioning required to actively use "Ki". This energy, required to speed their own reaction time or disrupt an enemies senses, is stored inside their soul and released in measured and well practised katas, which they can unleash without rest for increasingly longer bursts of activity the higher level they get.

Fighters, particularly high level 5e battlemasters and assassin rogues, I see as using Ki passsively, as it unknowingly fuels their more dangerous instinctive feats of strength, endurance and agility. Every superiorty dice spent and cunning action made is a similar act of spending energy, only the amount it unleashes is less measured and more wildly applied. Though the more honed the technique, the more control a battlemaster or combat rogue gets over guesstimating how to apply that "mystic edge" energy to achieve the intended moves result.

Few humanoids are directly intune (hence there are so few humanoids monasteries) with these techniques, but dwarves, elves, humans, orcs and hobgoblins all have their own theories about what that mystical warrior edge is and how to train for it.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2016 :  17:56:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fighters use armor and weapons. Monks are their own armor and weapons.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000