Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What sets a gifted wizard apart from the rest?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John Fern
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2016 :  06:51:05  Show Profile  Visit John Fern's Homepage Send John Fern a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey scribes!

Just trying to wrap my head around how magic works in the realms as I think about a background for my wizard coming up.

What attributes set the gifted wizards apart from the rest? Is it all book smarts? Is a detail oriented autistic scholar the path to true power or does manipulating the weave take into consideration an individual's will power or spirituality or faith or determination?

Thanks!

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2016 :  15:25:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say it varies from wizard to wizard -- just like what calls a wizard to magic, in the first place.

Actually, the same question could be asked of any skill or profession, real-world or imaginary. And either way, the answer is going to vary from person to person.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2016 :  15:26:48  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a tricky one to answer John (which is probably why you haven't received a response until now). There are a variety of things that set 'gifted' wizards apart from others...and not all of them conjoin into one person. The Realms has examples of the following:

1. True worship of Mystra...especially where the teaching/giving of magic to others is concerned...sees many wizards receiving her blessings. These blessings can take many forms, from 'eureka' moments when conducting research, being directed to lost lore, or even special powers.

2. Some wizards have a knack for tweaking the spells of others but aren't that great at creating new spells 'from scratch.' Does this mean the wizard is gifted. Maybe. Maybe not.

3. The Last Magister (I forget her name) had the ability to maintain concentration on more than one spell at once. It's one of the reasons she was given the office by Azuth.

4. Obviously high Intelligence is needed to become powerful in the Art. But, more than that, creativity in using your magic is even more important. Remember, most wizards never hit truly high levels (or have 18 Intelligence)...but creative use of their Art can go a LONG way to seeing them successful.

5. Some wizards have created a single useful spell and then sold it to mages throughout the Realms to become wealthy. Not sure that means 'gifted' but it's a smart use of one's time and the spread of magic is favored by Mystra (though she tends to prefer the teaching/gifting of it to others over gaining coin).

6. Others are simply ruthless in their quest for more magic. Sudden attacks against other mages often sees such individuals quickly gain in power as they acquire new spells and magic items. Few of these individuals gain Mystra's favor, however, which is the surest way to knowledge of the Art.

Of course, your DM may have a different approach to things. The above are just a few examples of what has happened in the Realms. I would encourage you to find the 2e supplement titled 'Secrets of the Magister' for a good list of wizards who've held the office and why they were successful.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2016 :  18:55:32  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mechanicaly speaking you need to have a Intelligence higher then 10 to be able to cast a spell. As normal human have exactly 10 it means only "gifted" individuals are able to grasp the concept and become a mage. You also need a resolve to keep studying under some berky old man who treat you like a slave. If you can endure that you might be able to start your own destiny and use real magic. For most mages Mystra have nothing to do with your ability to cast spell except she is rumored to hold Weave working (also it is tought that mere usage of magic venerates Mystra). ToT might have been hard to swallow for those...

I am not sure about limits in other edition but I am pretty sure there are some like Int for DnD 3.5
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2016 :  11:42:39  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wrigley
You also need a resolve to keep studying under some berky old man who treat you like a slave.

Yeah, like a College Lab Assistant under his advisor.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2016 :  16:59:16  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those gifted must have a combination of inquisitive intelligence, instinctive magical aptitude, fierce willpower and/or good tutelage and ability to learn. And they need to survive so having good tactical application of their current abilities makes it so they can spend enough time needed to learn the arcana needed for the higher level spells. Typical mage training takes about 6 years of apprenticeship. Those truly gifted spellcasting prodigies tend to be able to do all this at an alarming rate (n.b. the 3.5 feat made their spells harder to resist and they'd get to cast more bonus spells per day). You could take the feat Magic Initiate as a way to simulate a truly gifted wizard with a well spring of arcane potential, giving the character two extra wizard cantrips and an extra 1st level spellslot per longrest.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2016 :  23:57:06  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my viewpoint, its the ability to see beyond the use of a single spell. How can you combine magics? How can you prepare magics to defend yourself rather than being nothing but offense? How can you make your spells more effective? Asking and answering these things make a gifted wizard.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2016 :  15:17:50  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BTW what I found is that wizard is considered educated once he can cast 2nd lvl spells in some areas. Until that time they are considered apprentices and do not even need to register themselves. In my games there are a lot of mages who just stopped at some level of study either because of inteligence or lack of experience and those create a majority of mage guilds members and most of hedge wizards around the countryside. What those lack in might usualy compensate with guile and trickery.
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2016 :  16:10:57  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought that "Once had a dinner date with Mystra" on a wizard's resume was a pre-requisite.

But I'm often wrong on these things.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2016 :  17:19:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And don't forget the pointy hat. In some cases, clothes do make the man.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2016 :  05:59:54  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John Fern

Just trying to wrap my head around how magic works in the realms as I think about a background for my wizard coming up.

What attributes set the gifted wizards apart from the rest? Is it all book smarts? Is a detail oriented autistic scholar the path to true power or does manipulating the weave take into consideration an individual's will power or spirituality or faith or determination?

1) having natural ability,
2) using it well, and
3) not screwing up by doing stupid things, like spending considerable effort to get on the wrong side of the deities of magic.
As for the first part... From the descriptions, there is such a thing as magic affinity, as a separate parameter.
That *D&D (aside of Net Wizard's Handbook) refuses to use it, even if it would allow to trivially avoid many headaches from dealing with Dwarven (and Giff) anti-magicness to descent into Cutemagic the way d20 Sorcerers work, is not really a problem on FR side.
Much the same can be said of Perception and Luck, of course.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000