Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 New 5E Warlock Patron: The Dark Sun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2016 :  21:37:50  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So I was trying to create a cleric domain more specific to Cyric based on his 2E write ups in Faiths and Avatars, Warriors and Priests of the Realms, and the presentation of his seraph Malik in various novels. I started by just tweaking the Trickery domain, but then I got to thinking that Cyric should be more different than that, which led me to the warlock. Now to be fair, this is more of a tweaking of the Archefy and Great Old One patrons.... Comments welcome.

The Dark Sun
Your patron is Cyric, the Dark Sun, god of lies, deceit, deception, intrigue, pandemonium, treachery, strife, and madness.
Because Cyric does not trust his clergy, he prefers to make pacts with them, rather than reward their faith. Consequently, your warlock class features are divine, rather than arcane in nature. You may choose from any of the pact boons, including the Pact of the Star Chain from Unearthed Arcana: The Faithful.

Expanded Spell List
The Dark Sun lets you choose from an expanded list of spells when you learn a warlock spell. The following spells are added to the warlock spell list for you.

Wanderer in the Storm Domain Spells
Spell Level Spells
1st Dissonant whispers, Tasha’s hideous laughter
2nd Detect thoughts, phantasmal force
3rd Nondetection, spirit guardians (a.k.a. shrieking spirits that deal psychic damage)
4th Evard’s black tentacles, phantasmal killer
5th Hallow, mislead

Dark Sun of Strife
Starting at 1st level, you learn the vicious mockery cantrip, which counts as a warlock cantrip for you.
In addition, you gain access to three new eldritch invocations detailed below: Gibbering Blade, Mad Strike of Pandemonium, and Skull of Secrets. However, the Dark Sun will not grant you access to the following eldritch invocations: Beast Speech, Lifedrinker, and Otherworldly Leap.

Marquess of Deceit and Madness
As Archfey’s Fey Presence.

Deceptive Escape
As Archfey’s Misty Escape

True Words of the Cyrinishad
Your mind is protected by the pandemonium of the Dark Sun’s thoughts. You gain the following benefits:
• Your thoughts can’t be read by telepathy or other means unless you allow it.
• You gain advantage on saving throws against apathy, despair, dread, fear, hopelessness, horror, insanity, and madness.
• You gain resistance to psychic damage.

Dark Sun’s Delirium
As Archfey’s Dark Delirium.

Eldritch Invocations

Gibbering Blade
Prerequisite: 5th level, Pact of the Blade feature
The targets of your melee attacks hear a mad gibbering as you strike, distracting them, and granting you advantage on attack rolls against any creature that hasn’t taken a turn in the combat yet. In addition, any hit you score against a creature that is surprised is a critical hit.

Mad Strike of Pandemonium
Prerequisite: 12th level, Pact of the Blade feature
When you hit a creature with your pact weapon, the creature hears the shrieking of the Dark Sun in its head and takes extra psychic damage equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum 1).

Skull of Secrets
Prerequisite: 9th level.
You can cast commune, creating a floating skull that speaks to you in Cyric’s voice, once using a warlock spell slot. You can’t do so again until you finish a long rest.

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2016 :  02:35:43  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My first thoughts were the Gibbering blade was a little overpowered, but then I thought about it and you could also get the one which gives you two attacks. The other would be better. Granted, you can turn around and take this as well at 7th level. It would encourage you to be a warlock who wields weapons, which fits Cyric.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2016 :  03:10:20  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

forgottenfruit
Acolyte

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2019 :  20:19:05  Show Profile  Visit forgottenfruit's Homepage Send forgottenfruit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder what sort of pact details you would recommend for having Cyric as a patron.
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2019 :  18:49:08  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you could go with blade, chain, or tome. They all work well enough for Cyric depending on the vibe you want. A CE quasit works well enough for chain, though I suppose you could make up some sort of flying skull that screams lies all the time :-) That said, Cyric was a rogue, so blade works well too with his rogue/murdering side. And tome works well with Cryinshad lore.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000