Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Novel Question: Wood Elf / Wild Elf, same thing?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Magic Matt
Seeker

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2004 :  16:12:31  Show Profile  Visit Magic Matt's Homepage Send Magic Matt a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

To begin with let me state that I enjoyed this book, “Heirs of Prophecy”, the authors style of writing, the portrayal of the characters, the plot, and the descriptive prose, where all good. It was other aspects that interfered with my enjoyment of an otherwise fairly good story, and which make up the basis of my questions.

Question 1)
In “Heirs of Prophecy”, the author frequently and throughout the book, refers to Wood Elves and Wild Elves interchangeably as if they where the same thing, all be it with a preponderance of the references to them being Wild Elves. But everything I have read has clearly stated that they where two different sub-races of elves, and very different from each other (“Races of Faerun”, “Forgotten Realms Campaign Settings”, etc.).

Wild Elves (green elves) are feral and primitive, while the Wood Elves (copper elves) are civilized nature lovers, who never slipped into barbarism, but maintained elven culture in the hidden woodlands. These two elven races also appear physically different, dress differently, live in different areas of Faerun, and have very divergent societies.

This book describes the physical appearance of the Wood Elves, but then gives them the dress, culture, and mannerisms of the Wild Elves. Also, the story takes place in the Simbia/Cormanthor area, which according to “Races of Faerun” is a Wood Elf area, with the Wild Elves living predominately south of The Sea of Fallen Stars.

What is going on, am I simply confused (not an unusual occurrence), did FR/WotC change something, or what happened?

Question 2)
These 'Wood/Wild/Whatever Elves', all have prominent FACIAL TATOOS! What is going on, would elves deface and disfigure themselves in such away? My reaction to this was extremely visceral and negative, to say the least!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DISCLAIMER: These questions and opinions, that are expressed here, are simply my own thoughts and are not intended to incite or provoke, but are solely for informational and discussion purposes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war."
-Winston Churchill- (to Neville Chamberlain)

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
-William Shakespeare, "As You Like It", Act 5 scene 1

He who will not reason is a bigot. He who cannot is a fool. and he who dares not is a slave.
-Sir William Drummond-

Edited by - Magic Matt on 26 Mar 2004 16:16:10

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2004 :  16:45:31  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, the elven races did undergo a chance with 3E. The FR elven races under second edition rules were as follows:

Gold elves (aka high or sun elves)
Moon elves (aka silver or gray elves)
Green elves (aka wood, forest, or wild elves)
Sea elves
Drow
Avarial*
Lythari**

*Some second edition FR lore gave stats for avarial, other sources suggested that this race was extinct.

**The lythari were introduced in the old gaming accessory Elves of Evermeet.

Under second edition rules, the terms green, wood, forest and wild were used interchangably. Third edition, however, created a division between wild elves (aka green elves) and wood elves, which as also called copper or sylvan elves. Edition 3.5 added star elves and ghost elves.

This can cause confusion to folks who read (and, frankly, those who write) the novels.

I have mixed feelings about the tatoo issue. Yes, facial markings would provide better camoflauge in a woodland setting, and yes, elves have a strong inclination toward artistry in personal adornment. I can envision them painting themself with plant-based dyes. Think in terms of the henna-painted designs women in certain cultures in India paint on their palms. These designs are beautiful, complex, symbolic -- and temporary.
Go to Top of Page

Magic Matt
Seeker

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2004 :  17:00:46  Show Profile  Visit Magic Matt's Homepage Send Magic Matt a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thanks you’re your informative post, Elaine Cunningham, it helped with the confusion, at least I think it did.

This must be very difficult for the authors trying to keep things strait, while major aspects of the world shift during the writing.

I got the “Unapproachable East”, simply for the write up on the Star Elves, who beg for a series!

But, the Ghost Elves are a new on me, never herd of them before. At least I don’t think I have!

And the “henna-painted designs” make since for the wild elves, and I could handle that without too much disillusionment.

"You had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war."

He who will not reason is a bigot. He who cannot is a fool. and he who dares not is a slave.
-Sir William Drummond-

Edited by - Magic Matt on 26 Mar 2004 17:05:12
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2004 :  18:51:08  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Magic Matt

But, the Ghost Elves are a new on me, never herd of them before. At least I don’t think I have!

Ghost Elves are in one of newer issues of Dragon. :) I forgot the issue # off hand though.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Elmonster
Acolyte

Russia
49 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2004 :  19:02:43  Show Profile  Visit Elmonster's Homepage Send Elmonster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unapproachable East is the only book where Star elves are described? Why they aren't described in FRCS? What is the difference between moon elves and star elves?

I wished on the seven sisters
Bring me the wisdom of the age
All that's locked within the book of secrets
I longed for the knowledge of the sage...

Fires at Midnight, Blackmore's Night
Go to Top of Page

Magic Matt
Seeker

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2004 :  19:34:55  Show Profile  Visit Magic Matt's Homepage Send Magic Matt a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Star Elves (mithral elves), seem to be a cross between Sun and Moon Elves, gold/red haired with pale skin, and tall. [-2con. / +2cha. Favored class is Bard.]

Were extraplanar and now are returning to Faerun, in the Yuirwoods area. They seem afraid of some “insidious peril”!

They are cautious, aloof, emotionally distant.... and love to sing and dance and works of magic.

They like elegant embroidered clothing indoors, drab stuff outdoors.

They don't seem to have any tatoos, thank God.

-Sir William Drummond-
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2004 :  23:56:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You seem to be forgetting the lightbulb apparently stapled to their foreheads...
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2004 :  03:41:25  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Magic Matt
I got the “Unapproachable East”, simply for the write up on the Star Elves, who beg for a series!

The star elves have one character in a novel. As newcomers to the Realms, they need to be happy with just that. Pay your dues star elves.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2004 :  03:44:48  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elmonster

Unapproachable East is the only book where Star elves are described? Why they aren't described in FRCS? What is the difference between moon elves and star elves?

Because the designers of FRCS had no idea of the existence of the Star Elves. This new elven race wasn't envisioned, to my knowledge, until plans for Unapproachable East began and the designers realized they needed a new race to return to the Realms, per the requirements of each 3rd edition or 3.5 edition FR product. I look forward to Serpent Kingdoms where we get to see the new Snake Elves.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2004 :  03:46:02  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

You seem to be forgetting the lightbulb apparently stapled to their foreheads...

No love for the star elves. Then again, where is the FR designers love for this new race? They didn't see fit to include them in the elven race image in the new FR Player's Guide.
Go to Top of Page

Elmonster
Acolyte

Russia
49 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2004 :  07:43:33  Show Profile  Visit Elmonster's Homepage Send Elmonster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I look forward to Serpent Kingdoms where we get to see the new Snake Elves.

Another victim of yan-ti genetic engineering?

I wished on the seven sisters
Bring me the wisdom of the age
All that's locked within the book of secrets
I longed for the knowledge of the sage...

Fires at Midnight, Blackmore's Night
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2004 :  18:07:19  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elmonster
Another victim of yan-ti genetic engineering?

Oh Cyric, while I don't think that would happen, you just gave me a vision of how WOTC would think it plausible. The horror....the horror.
Go to Top of Page

Narad Bladesinger
Learned Scribe

Finland
170 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2004 :  18:20:00  Show Profile  Visit Narad Bladesinger's Homepage Send Narad Bladesinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

They really have something like that? I quess they save a lot of money, not needing to buy candles or anything
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000